Reality

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reality

I think playing King messed us up a bit. I preferred last weeks set up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

We played the best/most in-form team of the past 6-7 weeks. They had a tough trot early in the year and they trained their asses off and they stuck phat as a team and their club CEO and President didn't waver

In the 3rd quarter we missed our opportunities. Not sure if a 3-4 goal lead would have been enough if we had a better lead going into the last quarter but they had a huge last quarter.

On every metric we got smashed in the fourth quarter, but just 2 stats - Contested possessions was 24 to 39. Inside 50s was 8 to 18.

I had a feeling we'd lose today but I'm pretty confident we'll bounce back next week against Richmond

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:32pm The issue is with have a game plan that is completely inflexible. When Carlton started getting a run on in the third quarter we went into pure defensive mode (Ross's favored approach) taking the ball as wide as we can and refusing to look inside. That continued into the last quarter when we were chasing the game and still playing this anti-football defend at all costs approach.
We go so wide when we have the ball that we hamstring ourselves when trying to get into attacking positions.
What really worries me about this is that I think Ross will be happy with that performance because we held Carlton to 10 goals. What we score is irrelevant as long as we restrict the opposition. The fact is that we had 14 scoring shots and if we hadn't kicked accurately we would have been out of the game at quarter time.
Agree with most of this .... fact is we stopped running and supporting each other

I saw too many flying for the same ball and we got smashed on the ground ball and then on the outside

Happened many times this year where as soon as we stop taking the game on we flounder and its up to the backline to get us out of the crap

My most hated bulls*** line in footy is when players say ..... we knew that they would come back ...... gotta be the most defeatist negative mental line in footy ...... how about ..... there was no way were going to let them get the ascendancy once we had the game on our terms

Its been pointed out ad nauseum our midfield is the biggest issue but you can add to that our mental strength and leadership which needs vast improvement if we want to stick with the big boys

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Should we accept that reality?

Mediocrity - is that our business?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:10pm I think playing King messed us up a bit. I preferred last weeks set up.
He'll be better for the run. His miss didn't help our chances but there was a lack of opportunities in the 3rd and 4th quarters

We didn't kick it to him a couple of times when we should have and our players preferred kicking it to the short arses.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:16pm We played the best/most in-form team of the past 6-7 weeks. They had a tough trot early in the year and they trained their asses off and they stuck phat as a team and their club CEO and President didn't waver

In the 3rd quarter we missed our opportunities. Not sure if a 3-4 goal lead would have been enough if we had a better lead going into the last quarter but they had a huge last quarter.

On every metric we got smashed in the fourth quarter, but just 2 stats - Contested possessions was 24 to 39. Inside 50s was 8 to 18.

I had a feeling we'd lose today but I'm pretty confident we'll bounce back next week against Richmond
Obviously Sharman, Caminiti and Byrnes out

Members and Coff automatic next, be interesting if Corz goes too and Hayes plays his first game also.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:19pm Should we accept that reality?

Since 1853?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:21pm
Scollop wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:16pm We played the best/most in-form team of the past 6-7 weeks. They had a tough trot early in the year and they trained their asses off and they stuck phat as a team and their club CEO and President didn't waver

Members and Coff automatic next, be interesting if Corz goes too and Hayes plays his first game also.
If you want to make a statement and get a win and get the team ALL playing team footy why drop Byrnes or Sharman or Caminiti (they're the pups)

Drop a big dog. Drop the BIGGEST dog. Drop the captain. Or...drop the cockiest mutts. Drop Higgo and Gresh

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:19pm Should we accept that reality?

Going by your standards 17 teams have to accept mediocrity every year :lol:

SaintWiki
Club Player

JR23 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:03pm Really , really you are happy Tony74 or just a publicist

If the plan was to finish 9-12 then mission achieved . Well done , pat on the back, how wonderful are we
Many saints supporters had much much higher expectations exspecially with our great start. We watched basically an inactive selection changes to poor results, we watched stagnant game plans and within games as teams worked us out. We see players in at Sandy week knocking on the door but not given as 2nd thought

Lets defend but deflect . Nice Trump move
We are all very disappointing and hurt after a loss, that's normal, but there is no reason for snide remarks.

In reality we have the energy but don't have the cattle and that is why we are putting games into players who have potential and have used this year to assess our other needs. If you watch the teams above us you will see that our squad is not up to the standard of some of them and we played the most in-form team at the moment and our coaches and team gave it their all.

Other clubs are moving on and planning for the future so there is no reason why we should keep poking around and playing patch-up, that's what we have been doing for years and getting no-where. Hopes and dreams alone will never see us as legitimate finals contenders.

Just take a good look at the cattle in the top teams, many have been where we are now and have made the needed changes with some of them well ahead of us and others are still building. This is a very professional league so short cuts will never work.

We did well enough to get where we are and we still have a team that want to win and still have chances to keep a spot in eight this season, no matter how slim the chances really are.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

tony74 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:38pm If you think Ross is happy with that performance you don’t know him. He doesn’t rave and rant but he’s not cuddly. He is honest and to the point. He takes no prisoners and knows what he wants. And if you don’t deliver you know. Trust me
Well I hope that is the case but from what I have seen I have to conclude that he wants defense, defense, defense with attack as a very last thought. This approach of always taking the ball as wide as possible is only about minimizing the opposition's ability to hurt on the rebound. The problem is that it also completely stifles our ability to attack. I know Ross is ostensibly a defensive coach but I really hope he doesn't leave the attack to individual brilliance. If he tries to play style like he did last time he was with us we are destined to go nowhere because this time he doesn't have the A grade talent and flair brought by Roo, Goddard, Dal, Hayes etc al.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:25pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:21pm

If you want to make a statement and get a win and get the team ALL playing team footy why drop Byrnes or Sharman or Caminiti (they're the pups)

Drop a big dog. Drop the BIGGEST dog. Drop the captain. Or...drop the cockiest mutts. Drop Higgo and Gresh
absolutely Steely has to put his hand up in some meaningful way this week, wont get dropped but his performances need to be scrutinised as there are no excuses

nobhead
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:17pm
SinCitySainter wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:32pm The issue is with have a game plan that is completely inflexible. When Carlton started getting a run on in the third quarter we went into pure defensive mode (Ross's favored approach) taking the ball as wide as we can and refusing to look inside. That continued into the last quarter when we were chasing the game and still playing this anti-football defend at all costs approach.
We go so wide when we have the ball that we hamstring ourselves when trying to get into attacking positions.
What really worries me about this is that I think Ross will be happy with that performance because we held Carlton to 10 goals. What we score is irrelevant as long as we restrict the opposition. The fact is that we had 14 scoring shots and if we hadn't kicked accurately we would have been out of the game at quarter time.
Agree with most of this .... fact is we stopped running and supporting each other

I saw too many flying for the same ball and we got smashed on the ground ball and then on the outside

Happened many times this year where as soon as we stop taking the game on we flounder and its up to the backline to get us out of the crap

My most hated bulls*** line in footy is when players say ..... we knew that they would come back ...... gotta be the most defeatist negative mental line in footy ...... how about ..... there was no way were going to let them get the ascendancy once we had the game on our terms

Its been pointed out ad nauseum our midfield is the biggest issue but you can add to that our mental strength and leadership which needs vast improvement if we want to stick with the big boys
100% correct question is though ,is that a coaching directive to not take the game on? .or is it more about the leadership group on the field taking control of the situation .like lyon said in his presser we got destroyed at stoppages and clearences and the ball lived in our d50 and carlton gave us no time and space to hit targets ,so we just bombed it wide everytime and turned it over.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We lost by 3 goals, not 13, and not 30. A bit of perspective is needed, I reckon. I was there too, and it was not an easy watch, but they get a chance to redeem themselves next Sunday against Richmond. Hopefully we get another bumper crowd for the younger players' experience, and we win that one.

We win that and finals are still a distinct possibility. I don't want to give up yet, and I don't think the younger players do either.
I would like to see a second ruckman-type come in (Hayes?), and, if possible, Membrey to come in as well to play that high forward role - taking a mark forward of centre and driving the ball forward, and his spring in the forward 50.

I think those two things will make a difference.
Maybe rest or manage a couple who look exhausted.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

SaintWiki wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 9:30pm
JR23 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 8:03pm Really , really you are happy Tony74 or just a publicist

If the plan was to finish 9-12 then mission achieved . Well done , pat on the back, how wonderful are we
Many saints supporters had much much higher expectations exspecially with our great start. We watched basically an inactive selection changes to poor results, we watched stagnant game plans and within games as teams worked us out. We see players in at Sandy week knocking on the door but not given as 2nd thought

Lets defend but deflect . Nice Trump move
We are all very disappointing and hurt after a loss, that's normal, but there is no reason for snide remarks.

In reality we have the energy but don't have the cattle and that is why we are putting games into players who have potential and have used this year to assess our other needs. If you watch the teams above us you will see that our squad is not up to the standard of some of them and we played the most in-form team at the moment and our coaches and team gave it their all.

Other clubs are moving on and planning for the future so there is no reason why we should keep poking around and playing patch-up, that's what we have been doing for years and getting no-where. Hopes and dreams alone will never see us as legitimate finals contenders.

Just take a good look at the cattle in the top teams, many have been where we are now and have made the needed changes with some of them well ahead of us and others are still building. This is a very professional league so short cuts will never work.

We did well enough to get where we are and we still have a team that want to win and still have chances to keep a spot in eight this season, no matter how slim the chances really are.
I’m not convinced the team bleeds for the guernsey. If they did, why the non-existent 2nd half?

The reality, there has been too many years of an administration that doesn’t implore success from
The playing group and the playing group consequently doesn’t have that burning desire to win. Steele, terrific player but this is now the second comeback an opponent has had on his watch and he’s supposed to be the midfield general - the same midfield that seemingly forgets how to win a clearance during these moments.

And Gresh - clearly his mind is elsewhere.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 7:44pm
Banger9798 wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 7:41pm Well said Tony.

I give us a 1 in 3 chance of finals.

But we have got alot of games into promising young players.

Any idea who we are targeting. I thought Dow was good tonight, hopefully we are into him
Yes, but you can understand I can’t really put that out.
2 will make you happy, 1 will cause some angst. But who we may trade might upset a few
Not the captain?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:29pm

Any idea who we are targeting. I thought Dow was good tonight, hopefully we are into him
2 will make you happy, 1 will cause some angst. But who we may trade might upset a few
Not the captain?
Pretty sure it's Sharman.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I know Steele was marking Cripps but his game today was substandard

Anyone else and they would be on the chopping block

He is clearly not at 100% fitness ..... far from it I would suggest

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:34pm I know Steele was marking Cripps but his game today was substandard

Anyone else and they would be on the chopping block

He is clearly not at 100% fitness ..... far from it I would suggest
If you put your hand up you are 100%.

Lacks the creative ability to make something happen when it's needed, is part of the problem with our on field leadership, not to be confused with courage and effort because that can't be questioned, but more his ability to do something that get's it going our way.

ctqs
Club Player

We just missed finals last year and sacked the coach to improve. I expected finals. Anything less will be disappointing, with one caveat. We have played an incredibly young forward line for most of this year so I can forgive treading water. What I don't get is Lyon still hasn't learned how to win with a Plan B.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:34pm

Not the captain?
You’re a Barry Crocker.. :)

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If we are guessing: Gresham, Howard and Crouch. Or Membrey.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:44pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:34pm

Not the captain?
You’re a Barry Crocker.. :)

8-)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 06 Aug 2023 10:49pm If we are guessing: Gresham, Howard and Crouch. Or Membrey.
Gresham
Howard
Membrey

Makes sense.

Targets

McKay
Dow
Henry

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

I don’t expect the team to win every week as they are a 8-12 list in the competition IMO.

I think they are slightly ahead of expectation thus far this season.

What drives me crazy is lack of effort, half hearted performances and lack of aggression and commitment. Games V Hawthorn (loss), Adelaide and GC spring to mind where couldn’t score and we’re pathetic.

I am disappointed we lost today but I am of the opinion we played pretty good competitive footy today and just couldn’t maintain the intensity for long enough to win the match.

We played a decent attacking brand, set up well in defense to nullify their match winner, but were beaten by a better team on the day.

Disappointed we lost but happy we had a decent crack and played some attacking footy.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!