Liam Stocker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Liam Stocker

I’ve been pretty impressed with the acquisition of Stocker this season. Plenty of Carlton supporters weren’t happy about him being delisted and he has definitely proved he’s worth his salt as a basement bargain for our recruiting. He’s an excellent field kick and has a good style of a hard-nosed defender.

Stocker seems a little unlucky being dropped this week. I didn’t think he did much wrong against Hawthorn. Interesting that Cordy wasn’t dropped this week. Is it a matter of playing a taller team against Carlton?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Liam Stocker

With Howard injured we needed another tall defender so Stocker is left out due to team balance

One year will be our year
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He’s been good. Defensive skills need some improvement.

I hope he has more upside because future improvement will depend on players like Stocker getting on their bike to push the team forward.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Possibly missed because Windhager preferred at half back with Gresham into mids keeping Windy in defence. A luv triangle sort of thing. Coaches love them all but there were only two spots.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Pou, Buttsy, Gresh and Snags preferred over Jack Billings in the forward line

No room for Billings in the middle or on the wing with the starting mids plus Clark, Sincs, Gresh, Wood, Byrnes, and Hill preferred

I think JB will get the sub vest..so preferred over Stocker

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yep, I like Stocker. Jimmy Webster did not do himself a lot of favours last week but has credits. I am not sure he can afford another game like last Sunday's.

All of Stocker, Webster and Paton are courageous and disciplined. At present Webster is preferred. Paton has decision making and disposal limitations. Stocker, sometimes switches off & his midfield tendencies kick in.

There appears only one spot available whilst NWM & Sincs are required to slingshot our attacks.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Webster had a dubious decision go against him from the umpire for a soft goal in the first quarter to Breust and Breust only beat Webster twice for the whole match.

I get annoyed at how opinions can somehow turn into the narrative. I have refrained from commenting on all of the 'comments' about Webster's game from last week but ffs! Webster didn't have a shocker or a poor game.

Breust had 5 uncontested possessions for 5 goals. Stocker was on him for a couple of those goals. No one in our team could have stopped these goals

There seems to be a pile on when one person makes a negative post and all of a sudden people don't look at statistics or how Breust scored his goals.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 04 Aug 2023 7:59pm Webster had a dubious decision go against him from the umpire for a soft goal in the first quarter to Breust and Breust only beat Webster twice for the whole match.

I get annoyed at how opinions can somehow turn into the narrative. I have refrained from commenting on all of the 'comments' about Webster's game from last week but ffs! Webster didn't have a shocker or a poor game.

Breust had 5 uncontested possessions for 5 goals. Stocker was on him for a couple of those goals. No one in our team could have stopped these goals

There seems to be a pile on when one person makes a negative post and all of a sudden people don't look at statistics or how Breust scored his goals.
For once I agree Scollop.

Not at all Webster’s fault and stocker did have a role on him. Maybe that was why he was dropped. I do like stocker, but Windhager provides run, higher efficiency and a solid tag at HBF and he can be moved around for versatility. I do think Stocker will be sub.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Webster had a shocker, the first 4 & his sixth, he was responsible for Breust & he may have even been on Wingard for one.

The "5 uncontested possessions for 5 goals & no one could have stopped those" comment surprises me. I would have thought his direct opponent, before any became uncontested, should have stopped them.

Nothing wrong in having a shocker but seems to be given latitude when others, like Paton, get crucified, not for their defensive capabilities but their disposal.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I always think a player coming from another team always plays well against that team. Strange decision to leave Stocker out against the Blues.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Defenders can't be blamed for midfield turnovers that allow cheap goals.

The extra player running forward and attacking is structurally more sound, than defending a smart mobile forward, sneaking out the back or taking shots from wide on the arch.

Bruest has a pretty handy career u nder his belt from being that guy, not many have held him to account. He reads the play very well, gets to the right spots and most of all, kicks low % shots often. He hurts you.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Breust is exactly what he should be...an opportunist.

We allowed those opportunities.

Firstly, the ruck work was poor, the midfield then reacted poorly allowing a quick entry, the defense then was out of position (poor excuse after a few goals though...should've adjusted & stuck fat to Breust)

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Fri 04 Aug 2023 10:51pm I always think a player coming from another team always plays well against that team. Strange decision to leave Stocker out against the Blues.
Maybe its just that Ross doesn't rate him highly. Can be unreliable when heat's really on (no Robinson Caruso there). I think he, Ross, made a mildly dismissive comment about Liam in a presser a while ago, paraphrasing: half backs (like Liam) are a dime a dozen. Real class is rare. Maybe thinking of Coffield coming over the horizon and that we have NWM, Windhager.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

if you watch the replay you will see the moment is dropped from the side, you see Ross in the box nearly bite a chunk out of the wall behind him after a Stocker clanger.

He's a very nice young man though, very respectful to women and loves his Mum.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Webster had a real mare on Sunday. He has smashed better players than Luke Breust. Because of the way LB plays, every one of his goals felt like a stab in the heart.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 9:18am
Jacks Back wrote: Fri 04 Aug 2023 10:51pm I always think a player coming from another team always plays well against that team. Strange decision to leave Stocker out against the Blues.
Maybe its just that Ross doesn't rate him highly. Can be unreliable when heat's really on (no Robinson Caruso there). I think he, Ross, made a mildly dismissive comment about Liam in a presser a while ago, paraphrasing: half backs (like Liam) are a dime a dozen. Real class is rare. Maybe thinking of Coffield coming over the horizon and that we have NWM, Windhager.
Robinson Crusoe

Sanctorum
Club Player

It's true that halfback flankers and back pockets are a dime a dozen and only a few have the ability to mount strong attacks from that position, St Kilda has Nasiah Wanganeen Milera and Jack Sinclair who excel.

Against Hawthorn Stocker rated slightly higher than Webster but perhaps a couple of clangers by the former that drew Lyon's ire resulted in him being dropped from the run-on side.

He may well be the sub tomorrow, a toss up between him and Billings.

On Footywire Stocker is listed UFA which sounds odd because I thought that was not possible until after 8 years. Either way, his future remains in the air but averaging 17.7 disposals over 18 games should be enough to earn him an extension.

The upside of Stocker is that he is regarded as a midfielder and I like to think that if he puts his head down and works his arse off in the next 6 months, especially developing a burst of speed, he may well get to play there in 2024.

He's a beautiful kick of the ball.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I have been very impressed by Stocker this season

Ross hasn’t

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Agree - I think he’s been a great pickup but Ross clearly wants to see something different in the way he plays. Perhaps he’s riding him because he sees him as a long term prospect who could really excel but he definitely seems critical of him - certainly more than others. I’m hoping it’s a positive

#1 Ryder fan
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 05 Aug 2023 11:40am It's true that halfback flankers and back pockets are a dime a dozen and only a few have the ability to mount strong attacks from that position, St Kilda has Nasiah Wanganeen Milera and Jack Sinclair who excel.

Against Hawthorn Stocker rated slightly higher than Webster but perhaps a couple of clangers by the former that drew Lyon's ire resulted in him being dropped from the run-on side.

He may well be the sub tomorrow, a toss up between him and Billings.

On Footywire Stocker is listed UFA which sounds odd because I thought that was not possible until after 8 years. Either way, his future remains in the air but averaging 17.7 disposals over 18 games should be enough to earn him an extension.

The upside of Stocker is that he is regarded as a midfielder and I like to think that if he puts his head down and works his arse off in the next 6 months, especially developing a burst of speed, he may well get to play there in 2024.

He's a beautiful kick of the ball.
I'm not sure but I think once you have been delisted by your club (Carlton) you are unrestricted.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Anyway. If Liam is not in our starting line up we are going ok, because he is certainly handy.

Saint2
Club Player

I thought he was ok against the Hawks, but not sure what Lyon is looking for. Webster had a shocker against the Hawks but clearly would want to have a good one against Carlton or maybe Stocker or Paton could take his place.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Good solid depth player.
Good addition to the list as a DFA.
Not in the best 22 of a genuine contender IMO.

We are not going to rise up the ladder if we pick up a cast of Carlton depth players like Dow and Fisher so hopefully high end talent and a limit of depth role players like Stocker per season.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!