what the past few weeks have revealed

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

what the past few weeks have revealed

Somehow we are in 6th at the end of round 19. Following a brave effort against Melbourne we have had 2 sub standard performances.

- Lyon and crew can coach, and won us the game yesterday. Having Marshall take the ruck and then push forward post centre bounce changed everything forward and also gave us a bit ore zip around the ball late in the game.
- Tim Membrey is extremely important to our team and very under appreciated by many here, His smarts, strength and forward craft have been terribly missed this year
- Owens, Windy, Phillipou, NWM provide the best crop of young players we have had in the club since early 2000's
- We have a group of AFL players who on any day can be great but on most days are just average - Gresham, Jones, Billings, Clark - you can carry a couple but we have too many
- Even with Howard's poor form our defence is actually pretty good -Battle, Wilkie, Webster, NWM, Stocker, ( and potentially add Coffield back in)
- With King back the 3rd marking tall will be interesting. Caminiti has done exceptional seeing he was a late addition but very much a WIP. Sharman, Allison, Hayes even all should see this spot as up for grabs
- We need silk. Been crying out for it for years not. Hill, NWM, Clark have it - we need another 2-3 ball users.

It is possible we are one of the poorest teams to be 6th at round 19 however we are 6th.
We may not win another game this season, or we could win 3
We will be better next season - injuries return add in 1st round draft talent, and another pre seaosn for many

I'd be calling Ben King's manager and seeing how he feels about becoming the best CHB in the AFL. He played Juniors there before going forward when Max got injured. He's terribly out of form lacking confidence - and they don't have a coach.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: what the past few weeks have revealed

Good post Older Saint.

I think we would have to be the worst R19 6th places team in history, I guess that is some credit to the coaches.

Plenty to like about the year, but I'll be surprised if we win another game this year.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Sanctorum
Club Player

You should add Anthony Caminiti to the list in your 3rd point older saint.

It's also obvious that the coaching team is vastly better then what they had last year, not that everyone will agree, but in the last quarter Lyon clearly outcoached Ratten!

Lyon expressed his frustration in his post match presser that he and his assistants have not been able to resolve the problem of wasted forward 50 entries (worst in the comp) and why the players haven't rediscovered their early season form.

Get back to playing good footy and they'll make finals, keep on with the current rubbish and it'll be all over for this season.

It doesn't bother me either way, I'm quite content to see this season slide in the full knowledge that next year and the year after will be when the team will be back in serious contention at long last.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Glass half full there

Here’s glass half empty

We are s***!!! We’ve won 2 of the last 7 against 17th and 18th
Fell over the line in both.

Marshall master stroke
He kicked 1 goal. Important goal, but as a forward in the last q he had 2 possessions. It was a good move - it wasn’t genius - it just shows how inept our front half is.

First half
Sharman, Philllipou and Caminiti - no effect
Nor did
Butler, Higgins and Gresham

Forward of the ball we were ineffective

Blame ball use to a degree
But that’s half the story - being an effective target for mids to kick to is the other half

King Max
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 1:36pm

We are s***!!! We’ve won 2 of the last 7 against 17th and 18th
Fell over the line in both.

I don't know why everyone feels they have to make us look worse that we actually are.
3 out of the last 7.

Yes we're s*** at the moment, but we have the luxury of sitting in the 8 so if we can turn things around, we will play finals.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 1:36pm
it just shows how inept our front half is.

First half
Sharman, Philllipou and Caminiti - no effect

Forward of the ball we were ineffective
Wow ..again

Inept? How about young and inexperienced

These were talks for the first 3 quarters

Caminiti 19yo 15 games
Sharman 23 (tomorrow) 25 games
Owens 19 yo 24 games
Philipou 18!!yo 18 games

Total 82 games

How on earth can you not be excited by the potential there, I’ll take inept for now because in 50 games it’s going to be spectacular

Fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Lyon and crew can coach, and won us the game yesterday
:shock: Let's park aside the first 3 quarters right?

Jack Steele, Anthony Caminiti and ...ahhhh the umps helped us more than the coaches :mrgreen:

Free kicks were 24-16 in our favour. Thanks Eleni and her crew

If the umpire doesn't stop LDU in his tracks (dying minutes) as he's streaming forward from 50 metres out, I wonder if you would have dared to post this thought bubble

Speaking of the coaching crew and LDU. Why wasn't Windy tagging him from the word go?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Well done RTB

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Banger9798 wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 12:38pm Good post Older Saint.

I think we would have to be the worst R19 6th places team in history, I guess that is some credit to the coaches.

Plenty to like about the year, but I'll be surprised if we win another game this year.
We beat Blues early this year, however they've decided to play as a team now and with their midfield, they could easily beat us.
Remember how they isolated Wilkie and took him out of the equation.

The other games, Tigers, Lions Hawks we will be underdogs and will struggle to snag over 8 goals.

It took us until the last qtr to kick a decent bloody score

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
markp
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 3:35pm If the umpire doesn't stop LDU in his tracks (dying minutes) as he's streaming forward from 50 metres out, I wonder if you would have dared to post this thought bubble
I travelled to the parallel universe where that happened to watch the game and he hit the post.

Also he's called UDL there.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I love the old chestnut moves

Windy into the centre square after HT to tag because we are getting flogged and someone is tearing us a new arse

Jack Sinclair into the middle

Now it’ll be Marshall forward - he’s actually a 5 times better ruckman than forward - and no one rucking!

Sharman moved onto a defender that’s killing us!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I've noticed, watching good sides and us, it seems easier to score if forwards split and lead. Sometimes to predetermined spaces. Seems to isolate defenders, stops them working as a pack. Our kick it to an unruly mob approach doesn’t seem so effective. But should not second guess our coaching, I guess.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 4:56pm I love the old chestnut moves

Windy into the centre square after HT to tag because we are getting flogged and someone is tearing us a new arse

Now it’ll be Marshall forward - he’s actually a 5 times better ruckman than forward - and no one rucking!

Get with the program mate

When we lose, it's the players fault because they're a fumbling stumbling mess, but when we win it was the coaches inspirational moves that secured a victory

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 5:27pm
B.M wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 4:56pm I love the old chestnut moves

Get with the program mate

When we lose, it's the players fault because they're a fumbling stumbling mess, but when we win it was the coaches inspirational moves that secured a victory
we won and it was still a fumbling stumbling mess, thankfully we have a coach that can get the bumbling fumbling mess over the line.

again, well done RTB

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Well done players

In particular the inspirational RoMa and the inspirational captain

What wine did you have with your chicken dinner?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 5:55pm Well done players

In particular the inspirational RoMa and the inspirational captain

What wine did you have with your chicken dinner?
yes Marshall and the capt went well which I have already mentioned, the team as a whole were the kings of turn overs. Lucky RTB managed to get them over the line.
You don't like RTB, I get it.
Maybe you should get down to training to front him ? tell him how bad he is, I'm sure he'll take into account your wisdoms.

Shiraz btw

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

What the past few weeks have revealed is nothing more than what was already known back to the 2021 season, the list is no good, got some kids come through since that might be likely but it's way to early to tell if they are capable of standing up in the final minutes of GF.

As predicted before round 1, we will be discussing a rebuild before the year is out and here we are, it's just the magnitude that is up for debate.

And for anyone who sees Sharman in our future after yesterdays game please find the nearest power outlet and stick a knife in it and give your self a little electric shock.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 6:23pm What the past few weeks have revealed is nothing more than what was already known back to the 2021 season, the list is no good, got some kids come through since that might be likely but it's way to early to tell if they are capable of standing up in the final minutes of GF.

As predicted before round 1, we will be discussing a rebuild before the year is out and here we are, it's just the magnitude that is up for debate.

And for anyone who sees Sharman in our future after yesterdays game please find the nearest power outlet and stick a knife in it and give your self a little electric shock.
What’s the latest from guru Stav over at BF?

Ctrl + C then Ctrl + V!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 6:25pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 24 Jul 2023 6:23pm What the past few weeks have revealed is nothing more than what was already known back to the 2021 season, the list is no good, got some kids come through since that might be likely but it's way to early to tell if they are capable of standing up in the final minutes of GF.

What’s the latest from guru Stav over at BF?

Ctrl + C then Ctrl + V!
He's expecting training standards to be very high this week, he also thinks Ross is getting a good balance between fortune 500 corporate speak and real estate slogans.'ll

I'm paraphrasing however the fully detailed report should be dropped here soon so I encourage you to read that if you don't know how to type Bigfooty into your web browser.