We have hit rock bottom

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have hit rock bottom

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 1:37pm After I’ve calmed down a bit over yesterdays loss. I don’t think we have hit rock bottom.

We got 4x A-Graders in the making in NWM, King, Owens and Phillipou. More games we can get into them the better they will become. That’s a good nucleus we can build upon and push for finals in 2-3 years time. We need to turn our late first rounder into a top 10. If that means Gresham needs to go than so be it.
yep my sentiments exactly..owens very close... and yep I'm afraid I'm over Gresham, he has had long enough to get his skills upto scratch...outski.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 11:05pm
bobmurray wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:40pm Some don’t know what rock bottom is
I witnessed it in the 80's.
Seems odd to aspire to fail though, by acknowledging team weakness and keep saying there is a plan but will implement sometime later, failure now is inevitable. What about trying for the 8 and pumping up/improving the side. Could we try that?
Waving performances like today through and blaming players seems nuts to me. Collective responsibility, try to improve, not go out with a whimper? Why are we fielding a team after all.
Whose waving performances like yesterday through though? Who are these people?
Coach was brutsl in his assessment- both on list talent/skill and decision making execution AND the coaching group all needing to improve??
Labelled our inability to kick more than 2 goals in a half unacceptable??
Again, who’s waving the performance through??
I read sone balanced views reconciling where this list is really at and has been at for 10 years now - bout 9th over that time
We’ve refused to do what Hawks and Nth have done and bottom out and build a deep pool of talented kids (I expect these sides to pass us soon if we don’t get on with it)
We’ve topped up with Howard’s Hills Jones Ryders Crouch’s etc and that’s all lovely ….keeps you competitive “on your day” and leaves you about where we sit …9th but not a serious contender…firmly no man’s land
Did our previous list manager leave us with a truly balanced list ??
Whose fault is that ? Whose list strategy drove those decisions???
No surprise that the thing getting people excited about is the kids with talent we’ve drafted - we shoulda had more by now including sone midfield talent but alas …we went quick fix
Facts are our core senior leader group lacks class - bar 1 or 2 they are beige …who owns those decisions? Who grossly overestimated where this side is really at? Suggesting our “window” was open…fooling no one who objectively watched us btw
Again that’s all ok IF the club accepts it now and stops the rot
No more rejects who no we’re traded from their previous sides because they recognised early they were expendable and not taking them forward
No one’s waving yesterday through ….people are realising the fix is a long term one
Forget finals - aim 2 years from now to have an exciting talented core to come through like 04
Stop kidding ourselves
Take the hit BEFORE Tassie compromise the draft

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 3:12pm
Seems odd to aspire to fail though, by acknowledging team weakness and keep saying there is a plan but will implement sometime later, failure now is inevitable. What about trying for the 8 and pumping up/improving the side. Could we try that?
Waving performances like today through and blaming players seems nuts to me. Collective responsibility, try to improve, not go out with a whimper? Why are we fielding a team after all.
Coach was brutsl in his assessment- both on list talent/skill and decision making execution AND the coaching group all needing to improve??
I read sone balanced views reconciling where this list is really at and has been at for 10 years now - bout 9th over that time
We’ve refused to do what Hawks and Nth have done and bottom out and build a deep pool of talented kids (I expect these sides to pass us soon if we don’t get on with it)
We’ve topped up with Howard’s Hills Jones Ryders Crouch’s etc and that’s all lovely ….keeps you competitive “on your day” and leaves you about where we sit …9th but not a serious contender…firmly no man’s land
No surprise that the thing getting people excited about is the kids with talent we’ve drafted - we shoulda had more by now including sone midfield talent but alas …we went quick fix
Facts are our core senior leader group lacks class - bar 1 or 2 they are beige …who owns those decisions? Who grossly overestimated where this side is really at? Suggesting our “window” was open…fooling no one who objectively watched us btw
No more rejects who no we’re traded from their previous sides because they recognised early they were expendable and not taking them forward
No one’s waving yesterday through ….people are realising the fix is a long term one
Forget finals - aim 2 years from now to have an exciting talented core to come through like 04
Stop kidding ourselves
Can I have a crack at answering that...

Bassett, he wrote me a letter and I still have it, he wrote our window would be opening last year...

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

our window is open but somebody forgot the fly screen.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

can we still organise Pick 4 ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

we was there
we were shite
the experience was sh1t
we all agree

we need pick 4

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Stop kidding ourselves
When you hear "unacceptable" (and our coaches use the word quite often) what do you think that means. Disappointed sighs in the meeting rooms or actual wielding of the selection axe. Something else?
Its just empty rhetoric buddy, piles of crap waved through....although I acknowledge some of those sighs must be quite hurtful and probably stifle giggles at the reviews.
Why was Ratts shafted, so we can reproduce that rubbish? Rossy, you are good to go. Waved through. Double standards. Coach is not being held accountable, Bassett? silence other than the sound of the flag waving it all through......This year its all part of the long term plan, hoping the kids come good next year. How about motivating the team here and now, throw us some crumbs. Guess what, next year the other teams kids will also come good. Improvement should start now, if not in wins in defining acceptable.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 4:22pm
Stop kidding ourselves
When you hear "unacceptable" (and our coaches use the word quite often) what do you think that means. Disappointed sighs in the meeting rooms or actual wielding of the selection axe. Something else?
Its just empty rhetoric buddy, piles of crap waved through....although I acknowledge some of those sighs must be quite hurtful and probably stifle giggles at the reviews.
Why was Ratts shafted, so we can reproduce that rubbish? Rossy, you are good to go. Waved through. Double standards. Coach is not being held accountable, Bassett? silence other than the sound of the flag waving it all through......This year its all part of the long term plan, hoping the kids come good next year. How about motivating the team here and now, throw us some crumbs. Guess what, next year the other teams kids will also come good. Improvement should start now, if not in wins in defining acceptable.
Whilst the word 'unacceptable' might be a hollow meme wheeled out at a presser, I would hazard a guess and say that RTB will be reminding players that he was forced to employ it for the presser, because of their pathetic show on Saturday, so it would have some sting. He would also be saying the 'we' word, as in we, the players and coaches, need to do better. And if the players don't feel the sting, the irony, then the coach has lost the players.

I wasn't at all impressed against Melbourne last week, although many fans gave us a pass. The same fans are shattered this week. We aren't very good, plain and simple and how we remain in the 8 is a miracle of circumstance. But now look at the ladder, we are just one game above a team at 13th, who sacked their coach last week. Behind us is a team who have won their last five, and two teams who have won 4 of their last 5. We have won one. I think Ratts and North Melbourne can sniff blood.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Ratts v Ross

interesting

best the boys pull their heads out of their respectives then

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Stop kidding ourselves
I take it you don’t easily swallow real estate agent jargon and sales pitches either.

To be fair to Ross, he’s a good coach but he’s no magician and without magic it’s hard to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 10:19pm
Stop kidding ourselves
I take it you don’t easily swallow real estate agent jargon and sales pitches either.

To be fair to Ross, he’s a good coach but he’s no magician and without magic it’s hard to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.
We are still 6th
Magic Happens.
I saw it on a bumper sticker

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Stop kidding ourselves
What does that even mean ?
It’s the 1st presser I’ve heard Lyon use the term unacceptable - I heard it multiple times from Ratten last year……after 3 years of mediocrity?????
What do you mean”throw us sone crumbs”

We are smashing games into the kids we think could be A grade
We have an injury list that’s a joke and has been all year
And currently sit 6th??
Our list has been 9—14 for the past 10 years
We have a new coach 18 games - hasn’t had them for a full off season yet???
And it’s double standards?????? WTF
😳
Tough crowd buddy.

“Yeah….nah””
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

rock bottom? save that for next week.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just a little reminder from Malevu on BF about recent Rick bottoms….seems a few have short memories….

Just a reminder of a few of our recent efforts under Ratten.
Essendon 143 - Saints 68
Dogs 144 - Saints 33
Richmond 134 -Saints 48

You'd prefer that? Bloody sure I wouldn't. I've followed the Saints for over 50 years and at one stage attended just shy of 300 games without missing a single match. I went everywhere we played. Rain, hail or shine. But I'd have been lucky if I saw 50 wins during that period. So I've had enough of watching that sh.it

If the alternative is a low scoring grind where we are at least in games with a sniff I'll take it. Stop leaking goals first then do something about kicking a score when you have your house in order. That hasn't been helped by not having our first choice forward line available all year. I don't think King, Membrey and Higgins have all played in the same team yet this season.

I'm not guilty of wearing rose coloured glasses where the Saints are concerned. I can be their greatest critic, having been forced to witness the same car crash over and over again. At the start of the year it was obvious we were deficient in the midfield, missing a tall defender and a back up ruckman. The fact we got off to a fast start to the season, when the team bought into the Lyon team defence mantra, clearly blinded many on here and falsely raised their expectations. Those list deficiencies haven't miraculously disappeared.

People saying we won 11 games last year are misguided in their comparisons. The depth of teams in the middle of the table is much higher this year. Last years grand finalists have been out of the eight most of the year. Boom teams like the Dogs and Carlton have struggled for consistency. Improvement in Adelaide and Gold Coast has placed us squarely in that logjam. That is our true standing and anyone expecting something greater are very misguided.

Should we have bit the bullet and instead experimented with a new-wave coach like MacRae, rather than Lyon. Maybe, but knowing our track record there I doubt we'd have made the right choice. One thing for certain in my mind is that I'd rather have Lyon taking us forward than Ratten.

At the very least he'll get our house in order. Whether he's the man to take us to the promised land is another thing altogether.

“Yeah….nah””
groupie1
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 1:37pm After I’ve calmed down a bit over yesterdays loss. I don’t think we have hit rock bottom.

We got 4x A-Graders in the making in NWM, King, Owens and Phillipou. More games we can get into them the better they will become. That’s a good nucleus we can build upon and push for finals in 2-3 years time. We need to turn our late first rounder into a top 10. If that means Gresham needs to go than so be it.
I agree here. The issue for us is timing. Sinclair, Steel, Hill, Membrey are nearer the end than the beginning.
But I'd be trying to squeeze for 3 top 20 picks in the draft, using Gresham as trade and see if we can get anything for Billings/Jones... probably very little.
But the idea is to build a side around King, Philipou, Owens, Windhager, NWM, Wilkie, Higgins, Keeler, Van Es, Connolly and make decisions based on that.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 12:54pm
In Ross we trust. Ross is the Boss. You can't say "I didn't get it right this week". Doesn't suit the persona

The master coach is a genius who has it all under control and only very rarely makes some small mistakes

He won't admit anything immediately....

But many years down the track he'll reflect and acknowledge that he possibly may have done things differently

...edit. People will come at me and ask 'how' would you have done things differently Scollop?

Firstly...The announcement about Stuart Dew came early in the week. I would have cancelled all team meetings. Don't complicate things. Tell the players to focus on 1 thing Only.

Go hard and win contested footy and enjoy the same freedom that the Sun's players 'think' they'll have (I.e. don't bombard them with structures and zones and game plans).

Secondly, I've talked about team selection now for about 12 weeks. Campbell and Bytel and Connelly and others could have been used and some of our mids given less minutes or made the sub weeks earlier to freshen them up.
Thank god for at least one voice of reason. unfortunately it gets drowned out around here by the bleating hysterics of the fan boys .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 7:27pm

I agree here. The issue for us is timing. Sinclair, Steel, Hill, Membrey are nearer the end than the beginning.
But I'd be trying to squeeze for 3 top 20 picks in the draft, using Gresham as trade and see if we can get anything for Billings/Jones... probably very little.
But the idea is to build a side around King, Philipou, Owens, Windhager, NWM, Wilkie, Higgins, Keeler, Van Es, Connolly and make decisions based on that.
I think Keeler will be a star, he has that x factor but is still only a teenager. Van Es has the skills and size to make it...one day, so too Adams.

But in my opinion Connolly is a bust.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Cutting and pasting opinions directly from Big Footy.

Saintsaitional has hit a new low.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I keep saying it

Not sure if anyone understands

Gresham is a RFA he walks - we get Compo

It will be end of second round (after GC academy picks) it will be around pick 40
We will also get a around that pick for uncontracted Hunter Clark
And a pick in the 60s for Billings

Giving us
About picks 7, 24, 39 (Compo JG), 43 (HC - Nth), 45, 62(JB), 64

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 7:37pm Cutting and pasting opinions directly from Big Footy.

I agree and really resent seeing their crappy posts reproduced on here. I don't visit big footy as it is a crap site peopled by sainsational rejects .I really don't want to see them polluting our forum.

The good thing is one doesn't have to read their rubbish and I don't. :wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 7:37pm Cutting and pasting opinions directly from Big Footy.

Agree not sure what’s worse ….that ….or those posters whose only contribution is to stalk others posts commenting on them ?

I guess at least the BF posts are football related yeah ? Sone saving grace there..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Just for those interested in good footy discussion - do yourself a favour and take a read of this from Stav at BF:

Enjoy 👍

As I’ve already said.

We will get younger and shed those that have been here across the Richo and Ratten eras.

The new core is Pou Nas King Windy Owens Higgins - club thinks they will all be stars

Caminiti Stocker Sharman Byrnes all look like keepers.

They love the look of Keeler Van Es Hotton.

It’s the group of Howard Membrey Hill Steele Ross Billings Jones Marshall Battle Butler Clark Coffield Gresham Dmac Paton & Webster that is the issue.

Huge question on work ethic. Durability. Ability to perform consistently. Attention to preparation.

Wilkie Sinclair Wood - who meet the expectations of the boss. Arguably why all 3 are having career years.

Then there is a group that is just not rated. Predominantly kids.

Now you can’t bin them all. Or gut your experienced list. But the clubs been planning for a fair bit of movement.

So let’s see.

I imagine we will have 2 first round picks in contention for round 1 next year - Ross really happy to just bring kids through.

Hence why I said a few weeks ago, people who think he was brought in as a bloke who elevates an experienced list is wrong.

He was brought in to sort out who is an AFL footballer who can play and be apart of a finals side.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Reported for baiting

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 10:00pm

Agree..
:lol: :mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 11:11pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 10:00pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 17 Jul 2023 7:37pm
Saynta has hit a new low.
Agree..
:lol: :mrgreen:
👍

“Yeah….nah””