We have hit rock bottom

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rubyjo
Club Player

We have hit rock bottom

Again .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have hit rock bottom

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:19pmAgain .
Yep. So sack the coach like the suns just did and we even might get to win a game.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:22pm
Yep. So sack the coach like the suns just did and we even might get to win a game.
The key is you have to sack a new coach every week.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 7:22pm
Unfortunately true.
However there will not be wholesale dropping of players even though its obvious at least 7 need to go. (But who can come in? FGS, anyone, we cannot get worse).
The players are running the joint, not the 4 pillars, not Ross, not Misson, the review was empty rubbish. Today, exhibit A.
President will be too embarrassed to send a letter of condolence.
Ross will yap his way through until he realises he needs to spend more time with his family because he has become a figure of ridicule - and needs a media gig in the future.
The rot at the core of this team needs to be cut out, no matter their names, no matter their sometimes skill level. Ratts could give us the list. Just deceivers. The next draft could replace them in a blink at least there might be improvement over time rather than this terrible regression.
Of course the players are feeling flat and disappointed. Sure, they could not give a rats, showed that today.
Steele needs to resign captaincy to retain any credibility.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Who would be surprised if we lose the next two rounds?

Then we can really start talking rock bottom.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Don't tempt fate. Losses to North and Hawthorn would be panic stations.

Pick #5 looks good right about now.

Rubyjo
Club Player

I watched Ross the boss after the north game and I saw hopelessness in his eyes and in his words ..that was the moment when he new the rest of the year was going to awful..next year will be better ...every team can beat us this year ..that's rock bottom ..Sharman ..Camaniti..Owen's...pou...will all be better next year in the forward line ...

Rubyjo
Club Player

If cliches were premierships Ross Lyon would have a thousand .

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 8:00pm ..Sharman ..Camaniti..Owen's...pou...will all be better next year in the forward line ...
If that's still our forward line we are in trouble.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Wait for 18 months time.
That’s rock bottom when you are winning 1-3 games for the year.

Then add to that no draft picks whilst being near the bottom when Tasmania come in to the comp.

What. A. Club.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The AFL has stated that the Tassie list build will be different to the GCS and GWS list builds.
Bottom of the ladder clubs or useless clubs will still have access to high draft picks during the Tassie list build.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Some don’t know what rock bottom is

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:40pm Some don’t know what rock bottom is
I witnessed it in the 80's.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 10:49pm
Seems odd to aspire to fail though, by acknowledging team weakness and keep saying there is a plan but will implement sometime later, failure now is inevitable. What about trying for the 8 and pumping up/improving the side. Could we try that?
Waving performances like today through and blaming players seems nuts to me. Collective responsibility, try to improve, not go out with a whimper? Why are we fielding a team after all.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 11:05pm
Seems odd to aspire to fail though, by acknowledging team weakness and keep saying there is a plan but will implement sometime later, failure now is inevitable. What about trying for the 8 and pumping up/improving the side. Could we try that?
Waving performances like today through and blaming players seems nuts to me. Collective responsibility, try to improve, not go out with a whimper? Why are we fielding a team after all.
it's just a strange football club. :lol: :shock: :evil:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Think Stav BF sums it up well:

I’m not going to mass quote you and I’m not looking for a fight - well aware you and I go down the slippery slope too often and easily.

But you have continually pinned everything on Ross. You from day 1 sat there saying he is the wrong bloke and that we have to be aiming for finals - especially as he is now coach.

You have constantly and continuously chosen to ignore the message they have put infront of you and set your own expectations. Which is fine - but if they are not aligned and you are let down, that’s on you.

A year of exploration Ross called it. You said a year of finals.

Tell me how many coaches in charge of this side get this side at a higher level RIGHT NOW when King Membrey Billings Jones Coffield Hayes Dmac all play less then 10 games.

That is the group that needs to be supporting the 22 on any given week.

We had 6, 20 and under year olds out there today.

That doesn’t excuse the disposal. The performances of the likes of Howard. Etc

But they are the facts of the season.

Same goes for anyone else.

We are getting hard cold answers on a number right now. Which is great. That’s the silver lining.

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

cant see us winning another game.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We are nowhere near rock bottom. I have seen a lot worse than this. Rock bottom is when you have an experienced football team with no emerging young talent and you're getting humiliated every week (early 1980s comes to mind)

At least we have some emerging talent. Phillipou, Caminiti, Owens, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, and maybe Hotton and Keeler can be thrown into that mix once they get their fitness right.

I said it at the start of the season that we are a middle of the table team and that's pretty much where it sits. No one should be too surprised where we're at considering the merry go round of injuries we've had.

Against Gold Coast I reckon some of these players could have helped

Membrey
King
Higgins
mckenzie
Hayes
Billings
Ross
Coffield
Cordy

Gold Coast had one injured player on their entire list, and he wasn't a senior player. In fact Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Adelaide have barely had an injury all season. It makes a difference

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Difficult to fathom how a few people wrote Membrey off. He has been missed big time.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 16 Jul 2023 7:40am We are nowhere near rock bottom. I have seen a lot worse than this. Rock bottom is when you have an experienced football team with no emerging young talent and you're getting humiliated every week (early 1980s comes to mind)

At least we have some emerging talent. Phillipou, Caminiti, Owens, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, and maybe Hotton and Keeler can be thrown into that mix once they get their fitness right.

I said it at the start of the season that we are a middle of the table team and that's pretty much where it sits. No one should be too surprised where we're at considering the merry go round of injuries we've had.

Against Gold Coast I reckon some of these players could have helped

Membrey
King
Higgins
mckenzie
Hayes
Billings
Ross
Coffield
Cordy

Gold Coast had one injured player on their entire list, and he wasn't a senior player. In fact Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Adelaide have barely had an injury all season. It makes a difference
Here's the thing, I think: we/some of us are fed up with the it could be worse trope; fed up with players handballing like frightened teapots; fed up with obviously talented players losing form hopelessly, a tight backline gradually, inexorably, losing synergy; players like Gresham, Byrnes and Butler butchering golden scoring chances with unnerving predictability because of brain farts and poor basic skills. Its not like we are expecting the coaching staff to explain the meaning of life, just don't take an ok side and turn it into embarrassing crap. Then tell us its all going according to plan and be grateful.
Dare we conclude something is amiss when the performances against Collingwood and Essendon are compared to the rubbish of the last few weeks.
But full steam ahead m'hearties.......No recriminations. We all feel your pain......cheque is in the mail, no significant changes because we have heard leopards can change their spots.
Of course the Suns list is better than ours, but that's hardly an excuse to play like Auskick kids. Who at least seem to enjoy.
(Didn't Ben Long play well, would have enjoyed taking out Jones and humiliating Sinclair. Seems to have improved under a not super coach).

Darth Vader
Club Player

Correct. Always a good indication of someone's age if they think 6th is rock bottom.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Some of us here, when assessing the list in March, saw a bottom six, even bottom four team. We have obviously exceeded expectations, but we haven't played like a top-ten team for a couple of months.

I expect it could change again. We have seen Carlton begin well, then slip into a deep trough and now rise again. Ditto GWS.

We know that we had a brilliant first-month last year too. But that was that. We got wins against North and Adelaide after the initial burst, that patched over the holes, giving us an illusion of 'success' at 8-3 on the bye round. The 7-4 this year was more impressive than the 8-3 last year IMO.

Some of our players have stagnated and fallen away. And time marches on as other teams develop and bloom.
We thought
Gresh, Steele were A grade class, King a potential mega-star, Ross, Membrey, Crouch...very good B graders...
Relative to the comp, that has all changed..

How many changes can be affected season's end by the way? You can't just clean out the list and buy a new one. I think we will be competitive if RTB and team really crack down and we have one advantage right now. The coach's head is not on the chopping block. Of course it could be eventually - we know that too

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

when was the last time we were labeled rock bottom while being in the 8 rd 18 ? :)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 15 Jul 2023 11:05pm
In Ross we trust. Ross is the Boss. You can't say "I didn't get it right this week". Doesn't suit the persona

The master coach is a genius who has it all under control and only very rarely makes some small mistakes

He won't admit anything immediately....

But many years down the track he'll reflect and acknowledge that he possibly may have done things differently

...edit. People will come at me and ask 'how' would you have done things differently Scollop?

Firstly...The announcement about Stuart Dew came early in the week. I would have cancelled all team meetings. Don't complicate things. Tell the players to focus on 1 thing Only.

Go hard and win contested footy and enjoy the same freedom that the Sun's players 'think' they'll have (I.e. don't bombard them with structures and zones and game plans).

Secondly, I've talked about team selection now for about 12 weeks. Campbell and Bytel and Connelly and others could have been used and some of our mids given less minutes or made the sub weeks earlier to freshen them up.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

After I’ve calmed down a bit over yesterdays loss. I don’t think we have hit rock bottom.

We got 4x A-Graders in the making in NWM, King, Owens and Phillipou. More games we can get into them the better they will become. That’s a good nucleus we can build upon and push for finals in 2-3 years time. We need to turn our late first rounder into a top 10. If that means Gresham needs to go than so be it.