VFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

VFL

Jack Bytel was the Zebras' biggest ballwinner with 28 disposals and also went hard at the ball, finishing with 10 tackles.

Ruckman Tom Campbell dominated at the bounces, not just with his 39 hitouts but also a game-high 11 clearances on top of 24 disposals, while his young offsider Max Heath led Sandy's scoring with three goals.

Hunter Clark had plenty of it gathering 23 touches, with Tom Highmore (19, nine marks) and Ben Paton (18, five tackles) also getting busy.

Jack Peris (12 disposals), Isaac Keeler (10,) and Olli Hotton (12) kicked a goal apiece, while Angus McLennan (nine disposals), Oscar Adams (nine) and James Van Es (six) were all quieter.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: VFL

Hayes
Had 13 possessions
And 6 tackles

Freebird
Club Player

Score?

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Clarks 23 touches were in 3qtrs

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Really want to see Bytel and Campbell in particular get a decent go.

They’ve earned it and the clock is running out for them

Killa
Club Player

Campbell is a journeyman ruckman on our List as backup

He is honest but is the age he is and has no point of difference to improve this side except as a back up to Marshall

His performance today from what I saw was honest

And if you are taking the percentage of ruck contests he took he is going to accrue statistics

Can he repeat this at AFL level - noting the presence of Marshall?

I think not

Bytel was also honest but again showed no point of difference to suggest he will impact at the next level - and replacing who?

Clark you say was above the level

Bytel was workmanlike at the level, workmanlike because there was no danger to the opposition

To gain promotion you have to evidence you will bring a point of difference to the next level - so impact

Again I think not

In terms of midfield support, Clark has Bytel well covered on ability, skills and two sided use

The only player who said “pick me” from what I saw was Clark

As I contributed elsewhere, the rest were honest to promising in bits and pieces

The opposition had several experienced players and they won accordingly

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Killa wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 12:53am Campbell is a journeyman ruckman on our List as backup

He is honest but is the age he is and has no point of difference to improve this side except as a back up to Marshall

His performance today from what I saw was honest

And if you are taking the percentage of ruck contests he took he is going to accrue statistics

Can he repeat this at AFL level - noting the presence of Marshall?

I think not

Bytel was also honest but again showed no point of difference to suggest he will impact at the next level - and replacing who?

Clark you say was above the level

Bytel was workmanlike at the level, workmanlike because there was no danger to the opposition

To gain promotion you have to evidence you will bring a point of difference to the next level - so impact

Again I think not

In terms of midfield support, Clark has Bytel well covered on ability, skills and two sided use

The only player who said “pick me” from what I saw was Clark

As I contributed elsewhere, the rest were honest to promising in bits and pieces

The opposition had several experienced players and they won accordingly

Couldn't agree with this more.

I remain a Bytel fan and think he is the sort of player you keep on the list as great/cheap depth in the short term but his performances whilst good have not screamed pick me.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

With huge respect to the way he has prepared and presented this year, the only way Campbell gets a game is dead mans boots.

Bytel also depth at this point.

About 5 weeks ago was the "if not now, when?" moment for both of them, sadly.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 10 Jul 2023 9:53am With huge respect to the way he has prepared and presented this year, the only way Campbell gets a game is dead mans boots.

Bytel also depth at this point.

About 5 weeks ago was the "if not now, when?" moment for both of them, sadly.
I totally agree Campbell is a great servant, but he is not our future. If we lost Marshall then yes he plays, otherwise I would be getting games into Max Heath. He is the future and IMO the sooner he gets a taste of the next level the quicker he will develop.

We have all seen what a shyte environment the Sandringham alignment is, but Max Heath is one of the few Saints talls who shows up every week and has a red hot crack. He might not set the world on fire, but he needs to be rewarded.....We are not going to be challenging for a flag this year, so its time to keep an eye on the future and develop the kids who will take us forward.