Billings injured AGAIN

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Billings injured AGAIN

Teflon wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:17pm
B.M wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 7:28pm What if those Injury prone players - have a good pre season

And hardly miss a game for the next 4 years

The bulldogs traded a very injury prone prick tease HF in Shaun Higgins at 27 he wen on to play 5 years at North, hardly missed as a pure inside mid was a dual B&F and AA
aahhhh good ole “what ifs”…can’t run small AFL club in a growing competition on what ifs…
Almost everything is a what if

It is navigating by probability

Some things are more probable than others

I think it is probable that D Mac and Jones will never be able to have sustained periods without significant injury.

Coffield is a better chance just due to his relative youth.

Billings, not looking good. But maybe worth one more attempt to get right, as his upside is higher than the others.

Keep Bytel, jury out on Sharman

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:45pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 11:17pm
B.M wrote: Tue 06 Jun 2023 7:28pm What if those Injury prone players - have a good pre season

And hardly miss a game for the next 4 years

The bulldogs traded a very injury prone prick tease HF in Shaun Higgins at 27 he wen on to play 5 years at North, hardly missed as a pure inside mid was a dual B&F and AA
aahhhh good ole “what ifs”…can’t run small AFL club in a growing competition on what ifs…
Almost everything is a what if

It is navigating by probability

Some things are more probable than others

I think it is probable that D Mac and Jones will never be able to have sustained periods without significant injury.

Coffield is a better chance just due to his relative youth.

Billings, not looking good. But maybe worth one more attempt to get right, as his upside is higher than the others.

Keep Bytel, jury out on Sharman
What ifs are fine as long as you make a call
Constantly waiting for things to improve leads down Hannerbury path
No thanks - we don’t have the time or $ to waste I’m afraid

“Yeah….nah””
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I will agree that our record around speculating with injured players isn't very good.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Look, let's just send a letter of apology to Bontempelli and Petracca and move on.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 9:04am Look, let's just send a letter of apology to Bontempelli and Petracca and move on.
Still breaks my heart that… cousin of Dal …overlooked..bugger

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

We also overlooked Patrick Cripps and Zac Merrett

As did loads of other clubs

Bontempelli was a bolter, predicted to go after 10 - inspired selection by the dogs

Drafting is still inexact because you’re projecting

Billings was rated around p3 as a stand out u18

GWS had 2 selections before Bont
Imagine if they took Bont and Cripps instead of Tom Boyd and Kelly?!

Hindsight says Bont but at the time Billings was the obvious pick

I’ll give you Petracca
He was the best player by far in his draft year!

Freebird
Club Player

Correct BM. Billings has the ability but body keeps on breaking down. Saints were hoping to pick Kelly in the draft but GWS took him one before us. Billing projected next best by most.
Petracca very different story.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if they’ll develop tests to determine instrunsic predisposition for musculoskeletal injuries and apply them at the draft.

In other words, they make players do tests and look for things like asymmetry in torque/power left vs right, examine body shape etc.

I doubt they can afford to be too scientific about it (that won’t stop the experts flogging their services to provide the ‘bla bla bla index score test’ for a nice price, and people getting awards, PhDs for said tests etc.

It really goes to show what a lucky pot luck scheme it all is..

When it comes to the extrinsic side of it, it’s another story. Teams like us, often have little choice but to accept the risks that go along with Hanneberys and Jones’s etc.

Now everyone knows that back injuries can heal nicely after a period or operations etc., but that after healing, the performance (speed, lateral movement) can be hampered, but even more important but potentially hidden or side-stepped, is the proneness to future hammies and calf injuries..like big time systemic injuries..that keep coming back.

Then we have the ‘give-the-fella-a-fair-go’ ethos which is nice, but combined with the extrinsic pressures (poor Sunday twi-light club on AFL drip) we have a bit of a recipe that’s got to produce some gas in the digestive system.

Poor competitiveness in exchange for good citizen badge is the result IMO.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Billings was injured in his first under 18 year, he was also injured in 14 and 15.

His draft profile even said, he played well through injury. There's an interesting draft note. He was called a full package, with elite skills and match winning capabilities, who saves his best for the big moments.

He played well 2018-2020 and appeared to have managed a block of 80 games without serious injury.

Then in 2021 its started again and he managed 13 games in a row and hasn't been himself since.

Ratten and Richo cooked him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Many years ago I was at the LA airport when a Japanese plane landed. I noticed a young Japanese girl disembark wearing a white T shirt with black writing which said "s*** happens".

First time I had seen that particular wording and I wondered what it meant. Many years later its meaning is pretty much obvious to all and in this instance,can be applied to Billings' latest injury.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Look what's happened to Natanui. He's barely played in the last 4 years. Number 1 draft pick. That's how the cookie crumbles. Out again for the year. Just as well we don't have Bailey Williams in the ruck. Useless!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Injuries are a part of footy

Not many players have played a long career (at any level) and not suffered lengthy injury lay offs

Look at Coffield, Hayes, Jones, McKenzie

Look at the early career of Mason Wood

A lot of it comes down to luck!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Petracca miss really hurt because we had pick one and Trout tried to be too cute.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

All good grist for the mill but Billing’s is cooked
The fact he dangled for trade previously with no takers tells you plenty
If Bombers still have a hard on for him ..see what we can get

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s 27

B.M
Saintsational Legend

At 27 Mason Wood was cooked

Always injured, continually disappointed and got delisted!

Now, turning 30 - he’s probably sitting 3rd in the B&F

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 11:03pm At 27 Mason Wood was cooked

Mason Wood has elite running capability
Mason Wood can also when needed play forward
He’s rejuvenated his football off that
Different beast

What’s Billing’s elite at ?? I mean elite ? ?
He doesn’t win his own footy inside
He’s not a mid - does he have a tank?
He’s not great overhead
He’s a nice kick - but does he take that kick that sets up into the corridor to break it open going into our 50 like a Sinclair does?Nup…he plays it safe …
He’s a poor set shot for goal
He’s 27 - lot of AFL players don’t make 27 so age means squat
He’s had 9 years
Tried to shop himself for a fatter pay cheque …no takers
Think once again you’ve got Saibts player fan blinkers on ..

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Billings and Mason Wood are very different athletes. Billings is clearly struggling to reach a fitness peak. Probably from jabbing his way through injury and putting up with pain.

It was so clear to see in Hannerbery but the red white and black blinkers are on. How old was Hanners when we drafted him?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

On balance there is risk of relapse, so the more of these types of players you have, the more likely you'll get failures. Also more likely to have some successes.

Mason Wood is a good one.

Our risks are Billings, Jones, McKenzie, Clark, Coffield.

Saint2
Club Player

We have a lot of money sitting on the sidelines injured, and a club like ours will be needing to make some tough list management decisions if things don't improve greatly as the season goes on.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 4:26pm Billings was injured in his first under 18 year, he was also injured in 14 and 15.

His draft profile even said, he played well through injury. There's an interesting draft note. He was called a full package, with elite skills and match winning capabilities, who saves his best for the big moments.

He played well 2018-2020 and appeared to have managed a block of 80 games without serious injury.

Then in 2021 its started again and he managed 13 games in a row and hasn't been himself since.

1. Yep, I noted that he was injured as a teen and I think he even arrived with one too..did not take part in training straight of the box as it were
2. he def had the skills and balance and time, even looked silky
3. I did not realise he had such an uninterrupted 2018/20. I do think he had some really good patches of form, got a good big money contract and then dipped in form a bit,. He also had an atrocious kicking-for-goal season somewhere around there
4. Ratts and Richo *I call it the Rolls-Royce era.. Anyway, in the RR era, i do not think we can say they cooked him. If anything, I think they probably were softer on players and our lowly and miserable status meant he was able to -his manager= negotiate a good money contract..But I do wonder about his position. Half back? Half forward, wing? Was there ever a question he might be an onballer, or was he always managed as a flanker to avoid hammy and calf issues?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 12:08pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 4:26pm Billings was injured in his first under 18 year, he was also injured in 14 and 15.

1. Yep, I noted that he was injured as a teen and I think he even arrived with one too..did not take part in training straight of the box as it were
2. he def had the skills and balance and time, even looked silky
3. I did not realise he had such an uninterrupted 2018/20. I do think he had some really good patches of form, got a good big money contract and then dipped in form a bit,. He also had an atrocious kicking-for-goal season somewhere around there
4. Ratts and Richo *I call it the Rolls-Royce era.. Anyway, in the RR era, i do not think we can say they cooked him. If anything, I think they probably were softer on players and our lowly and miserable status meant he was able to -his manager= negotiate a good money contract..But I do wonder about his position. Half back? Half forward, wing? Was there ever a question he might be an onballer, or was he always managed as a flanker to avoid hammy and calf issues?
I believe he played most of 21 on prednisolone jabs. It's a prescribe treatment for plantar fasciitis.
Increased workloads, poor recovery strategies and medical assistance to get up to play. He never really had an elite, high performance environment to develop in. He is contracted and was apparently cheap. Put him on ice and get him fit to be the sub.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 12:37pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 08 Jun 2023 12:08pm

His draft profile even said, he played well through injury. There's an interesting draft note. 。。。
Yep ....
I believe he played most of 21 on prednisolone jabs. 。。。。 Put him on ice and get him fit to be the sub.
Opportunity cost must be factored in.

Could we be investing resources better than that?

This is about being competitive and winning games, not getting Jack Billings right or being 'fair-to-the-poor-bastard'..so to speak.

Sure, I'm acting all tough but I can only think it might be another rabbit hole.

I like JB and always prefer skill over honest workhorses as a long-term strategy for success. Why? Because skill is untouchable.

But it must be about wins.

If he wins a Brownlow i n 2024 I wouldn't be surprised. If he gets delisted or retires in September...ditto

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

How many years can you keep underperforming/injured players. Should have cut losses years ago.

Just get rid of him and be done with it!
Procrastinated with him and players like Acres far too much. As Acres has proven, just get your pick(s)/traded players in and move on.

Freebird
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Wed 07 Jun 2023 11:45pm

Mason Wood has elite running capability
Mason Wood can also when needed play forward
He’s rejuvenated his football off that
Different beast

What’s Billing’s elite at ?? I mean elite ? ?
He doesn’t win his own footy inside
He’s not a mid - does he have a tank?
He’s not great overhead
He’s a nice kick - but does he take that kick that sets up into the corridor to break it open going into our 50 like a Sinclair does?Nup…he plays it safe …
He’s a poor set shot for goal
He’s 27 - lot of AFL players don’t make 27 so age means squat
He’s had 9 years
Tried to shop himself for a fatter pay cheque …no takers
Think once again you’ve got Saibts player fan blinkers on ..
FK teffers you're a dick