Sandy v Coburg

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandy v Coburg

Billings over Byrnes is so obvious. If MacKenzie could get on the park, both would be struggling to be thought of.

Membrey is fighting with Caminiti & Sharman, Owens trumps all three.

Let's start looking at our back half...people speak of next Premiership backmen, is Howard, Battle, Webster in that group? Is Stocker or Paton? I suspect Coffield can take four of those spots...does not say much about them.

Our depth must get better and the only way that will happen is by getting tested.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 5:27pm Billings had at least 5 goal assists

Every time he touched the ball Sandy scored

He is a class above VFL level

24 possessions playing as a small forward (wrong position) is better than average
I've always liked Billings and except for early on, he has never played in his right position. However, Ross' comments about him at the Press Conference weren't hopeful. He inferred that Billings wasn't match fit, saying that he hadn't had a full pre-season and had only played 3 games. And that others were ahead of him in the position he played. It appears he is behind as Lyon said, our current small forwards, which are Higgins, Butler and Gresham.

Butler is patchy, but Billings hasn't got his speed and Butler's defensive pressure forward is invaluable. I do reckon that Billings would be more dangerous forward than Gresham. He's a better kick with both feet and far better in the air.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 9:01pm Billings over Byrnes is so obvious. If MacKenzie could get on the park, both would be struggling to be thought of.

Let's start looking at our back half...people speak of next Premiership backmen, is Howard, Battle, Webster in that group? Is Stocker or Paton? I suspect Coffield can take four of those spots...does not say much about them.

Our depth must get better and the only way that will happen is by getting tested.
Byrnes has had a really good season. However, his kicking isn't up to scratch and of course Billings is elite by foot.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 9:01pm Billings over Byrnes is so obvious. If MacKenzie could get on the park, both would be struggling to be thought of.

I don’t rate Byrnes
But in a team with obvious lack on run …I’m not sure Billings is Byrnes replacement… could he run wing all day with no ore season? Get back deep to defend?? (he’s not great defensively JB..)
As Lyon noted (and by Billibgs own admission) he’s a forward of centre player so one of
Butler Higgins Gresham Pou Owens probably has to make way to fit him in …who you dropping?
Reminder - our smalls have been some if the best across the comp so far so it’s not like they’ve been dreadful either..

“Yeah….nah””
groupie1
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 27 May 2023 9:40pm Connolly is not up to it - not even close
PURE NONSENSE

One of our better ball users

Aggressive

Fast

I'd swap Paton, Webster & Stocker out for Stocker & Connolly & Highmore in a heartbeat.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 9:54pm

I don’t rate Byrnes
But in a team with obvious lack on run …I’m not sure Billings is Byrnes replacement… could he run wing all day with no ore season? Get back deep to defend?? (he’s not great defensively JB..)
As Lyon noted (and by Billibgs own admission) he’s a forward of centre player so one of
Butler Higgins Gresham Pou Owens probably has to make way to fit him in …who you dropping?
Reminder - our smalls have been some if the best across the comp so far so it’s not like they’ve been dreadful either..
If that's my choice, then I drop Gresham. Higgins & Butler are two & three in the small forwards goalkicking list. I am over Gresham, his balloon kicks, his decision making and lack of 2nd efforts. He is out of form.

Others see Gresham as a point of difference, someone to go through the midfield. Unfortunately, after round 11, being out of form is not a point of difference in our current 22.

That said, Gresham is not the reason for losses against Adelaide and Hawthorn. We appear to have a general malaise about the players, this is where our coaches and selection committee need to snap them out of it.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Quick comparison of Byrnes vs Sinclair v Gresham at similar points in their career. If you want me to pick another player, I'll do it.

Byrnes 181cm 80kg - 39 games, 304 kicks, 246 handballs, 9 goals, 71 tackles, 164 contested possessions.
Sinclair 181cm 81kg - 44 games, 308 kicks, 352 handballs, 30 goals, 125 tackles, 261 contested possessions.
Gresham 179kg 79kg - 40 games, 342 kicks, 122 handballs, 41 goals, 109 tackles, 241 contested posssessions

I must say I expected Byrnes to come out on top other than goals, but there you have it. Tackle discrepancy is huge.

For what it's worth, Zak Jones has played about the same games for us. His stats with the Saints are:

Jones (Saints only) 181cm 80kg - 39 games, 437 kicks, 406 handballs, 11 goals, 160 tackles, 343 contested possessions
Crouch (2021 + 2022) 186cm 85kg - 41 games, 518 kicks, 580 handballs, 14 goals, 258 tackles, 475 contested possessions

Saints58
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 11:41am
Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 9:14am 2 questions:

How was Windhager defensively & who were our goal kickers?
Windy was excellent. He was everywhere. Clearly to good for AFL level. Had a lovely 50m set shot.

Max Heath was an early goal kicker but he faded out. Keeler was awesome. Did a lot of defensive tackling in our forward 50.

I will say Cordy, Peris and Highmore did some nice things early and then went missing. Billings, Membrey, Connolly, Van Es and Adam’s were just pedestrian.

Two best for us Windhager and Keeler. Keeler will be special. He’s deceptively quick for a big boy, reads the ply well, can kick a goal, can tap. I hope Ross gives him a call up against West Coast Eagles or something.

I really like Keeler but yesterday he got 1 goal from a quick turnover he was in goal square by himself, and 1 from a free kick. He did move well and his first goal was very good on the boundary on hard angle.
His fitness is not there yet no preseason and VFL a lot slower pace I would love to see him play this season just not sure he is up to it quite yet.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 2:41pm I really like Keeler but yesterday he got 1 goal from a quick turnover he was in goal square by himself, and 1 from a free kick. He did move well and his first goal was very good on the boundary on hard angle.
His fitness is not there yet no preseason and VFL a lot slower pace I would love to see him play this season just not sure he is up to it quite yet.
I agree but I also think that all our first year players should get at least two games (if fit) to give them a taste of the pace of AFL. It's a good incentive for the off season.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Never gift games

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Except to Seb Ross right BM. Man can do no wrong

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Is JB playing high % on field time?

I think with back, hammy calf etc., the potential for re-injury is very high. Maybe that is why he is still running around at Sandy?

Just a thought.

Unfortunately, the same problems, but worse, apply for DAmc and JOnes. If they too, have to serve six weeks or morew at Sandy, I am afraid we might not see em in Saints colours again

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 12:46am Except to Seb Ross right BM. Man can do no wrong
16 centre bounce contests on weekend - 0 clearances
But he once won a BnF so gets a gold pass!!

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 9:43am
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 12:46am Except to Seb Ross right BM. Man can do no wrong
But did he do his role?

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 10:22am
But did he do his role?
Matt Crouch won B & F, All Australian, still wins plenty of the ball when he plays.
But is a marginal fringe player in the Adelaide camp nowadays.
Beggars can't be choosers.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 10:22am
But did he do his role?
3 possessions in a half of footy ???
What role is that exactly?
I’d have another look over Hawks midfield stats…
I think not unless witches hat is a role
To be fair he wasn’t alone
I think only Crouch was serviceable but even then…low impact
Still can’t believe how much stronger those Hawk players looked against our puny line up…scary

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bytel reported as concussion 1-2 weeks.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 5:18pm Bytel reported as concussion 1-2 weeks.
Our next game comes up on a Thursday 8th June

It's borderline on the 12 day protocol so Ross said he'll miss the Swans game

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 7:38am

I don’t rate Byrnes
If that's my choice, then I drop Gresham. Higgins & Butler are two & three in the small forwards goalkicking list. I am over Gresham, his balloon kicks, his decision making and lack of 2nd efforts. He is out of form.

Others see Gresham as a point of difference, someone to go through the midfield. Unfortunately, after round 11, being out of form is not a point of difference in our current 22.

That said, Gresham is not the reason for losses against Adelaide and Hawthorn. We appear to have a general malaise about the players, this is where our coaches and selection committee need to snap them out of it.
TBH, Gresham has been out of form for nearly 3 years. Injuries have actually saved face for him. Everyone keeps talking about how he would make a difference once fit. He's played about 5 really good games in 3 years. His disposal hasn't changed in that time, rushed screw around the cnr kicks, habitual mistakes through rushed decisions. When in form he can be very dangerous fwd, but what small fwd isn't when in form? My opinion is that for our list to get better then Gresh probably needs to leave as does Billings. They are part of the old guard. Membrey is now on thin ice although I have been a fan over the years. I would love for Tim to find that form because his vertical leap is a point of difference.

If this is truly an exploratory year then Windy HAS to come in soon. OR Ross has to find some form.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 7:38am

I don’t rate Byrnes

TBH, Gresham has been out of form for nearly 3 years. Injuries have actually saved face for him. Everyone keeps talking about how he would make a difference once fit. He's played about 5 really good games in 3 years. His disposal hasn't changed in that time, rushed screw around the cnr kicks, habitual mistakes through rushed decisions. When in form he can be very dangerous fwd, but what small fwd isn't when in form? My opinion is that for our list to get better then Gresh probably needs to leave as does Billings. They are part of the old guard. Membrey is now on thin ice although I have been a fan over the years. I would love for Tim to find that form because his vertical leap is a point of difference.

If this is truly an exploratory year then Windy HAS to come in soon. OR Ross has to find some form.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure where you’re getting stats?

Seb had 6 at HT and 16 match - he is clearly out of form now
After a ripping first 6 games.

And correction again Teflon
He has won 2 B&Fs and made an AA squad

I rate him because he’s been there and done it at the level

But it’s doesn’t matter - it’s not the list that’s key
It’s the COACH!!!!

But now it’s not the coach - it’s the midfield

Go figure???!!!!

Killa
Club Player

Statistics, statistics and damn lies, hey?

How many of Byrnes games have been as the 23rd player, an innovation over the past 2 (?) seasons

Game time not games may present a different comparative

Bynes has pace, has endurance and has skills including being neat and proficient off both feet

There are certain others the focus should be on

Clark will be badly missed over the next month or so

And given the Coaches comments re Billings and a lack of pre season this will extend to Coffield for 2023

And I particularly mention Coffield because he is all class

Then you get to Jones, Hayes, McKenzie et al

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Even Blind Freddy could see/tell that Billings is a class footballer, something that Byrnes is certainly not.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 8:29pm Not sure where you’re getting stats?

Seb had 6 at HT and 16 match - he is clearly out of form now
After a ripping first 6 games.

And correction again Teflon
He has won 2 B&Fs and made an AA squad

I rate him because he’s been there and done it at the level

But it’s doesn’t matter - it’s not the list that’s key
It’s the COACH!!!!

But now it’s not the coach - it’s the midfield

Go figure???!!!!
He ain’t the future
Again I don’t care if he was Darryl Baldock good 3 years ago he ain’t now
Go watch Dixon on First Crack talk about our appalling on field leadership- Ross is part of that
As Dixon says - Saints have gone out and got one of the best coaches going round….but when players run on field….it’s up to them and their leaders…he talked about Hawks and how that instruction on field drive a premiership team
You can w@ank on about list/coach all day long
But our so called experienced leaders in our midfield let us down time and again
Clean em out Ross

“Yeah….nah””
Freebird
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 8:53pm Even Blind Freddy could see/tell that Billings is a class footballer, something that Byrnes is certainly not.
Yeah but Byrnes is quicker..skills are irrelevant. Maybe we should play Peris?
Billings has more class than most!