Are we seeing the old 2010 RTB traits

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we seeing the old 2010 RTB traits

Teflon wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 8:48pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 7:23pm A role player is defined as a player who lacks certain tools but has good concentration, generally excellent resilience and can stick to a task, this type of personality is also willing to please.

Generally at the elite level most coaches believe you can only carry about 4-6 of these types of players for a team capable of contending.

Currently we have about 8-12.

Agreed
Similar with footy fan sites and poor quality posters
You can carry 1 (saynta) or 2 (mehebabblelots) but after that it really hurts quality…
Or one fixateted nasty one (teflon). :twisted:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 12:00pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 7:23pm A role player is defined as a player who lacks certain tools but has good concentration, generally excellent resilience and can stick to a task, this type of personality is also willing to please.

Generally at the elite level most coaches believe you can only carry about 4-6 of these types of players for a team capable of contending.

Agreed
You can carry 1 (saynta) or 2 (mehebabblelots) but after that it really hurts quality…
yes ….my precious…

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 29 May 2023 10:14pm 8-12 role players Vortex!!!!

I want to say that’s nuts but in fairness I don’t understand where you’re coming from.

Can you name 10 or so of the players you call role players in our squad so I can get a sense of how you’re defining them.
I use the quality of performance you see in the final 2 weeks of the finals, that's the only measure isn't it when thinking about players cable of helping us win some silverware.

I haven't got time to name the 10 right now but I will do it tonight or when I'm next at my desk and I'll rattle off two lists, one of players who I think might be capable of GF quality and a lost of those I just can't see being capable of standing up in the final two weeks of the finals series.

In the meantime I'd genuinely be interested in your 2 lists.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 1:44pm

Agreed
yes ….my precious…
In your dreams. :evil:

cps
Club Player

From memory we did OK in 2010.

And by 2010 Lyon had been at St Kilda for three years and had coached us to a GF.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 1:49pm

I want to say that’s nuts but in fairness I don’t understand where you’re coming from.

Can you name 10 or so of the players you call role players in our squad so I can get a sense of how you’re defining them.
I use the quality of performance you see in the final 2 weeks of the finals, that's the only measure isn't it when thinking about players cable of helping us win some silverware.

I haven't got time to name the 10 right now but I will do it tonight or when I'm next at my desk and I'll rattle off two lists, one of players who I think might be capable of GF quality and a lost of those I just can't see being capable of standing up in the final two weeks of the finals series.

Appreciate that. I don’t really measure lists in that way. I think most lists including premiership teams will have players on the day that wouldn’t be in the top 22 of other teams.

Every list has its starts, quality or essential contributors, good ordinary players, role players and those that they’re developing into or trying to develop into those categories.

IMO there’s not many in the role category on this list. Whether or not they are good enough to be in the top 22 as the players they are is another question but I guess we’re just discussing separate things.

My sense that you’re more talking about the hat you perceive as players good enough to be on the list.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

cps wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 2:49pm From memory we did OK in 2010.

And by 2010 Lyon had been at St Kilda for three years and had coached us to a GF.
Yes, we were well coached and had a terrific top 6 in Dal, Hayes, Roo, Joey, BJ and Fish.

However, we also arguably had the worst bottom 6 of all the top 8 teams.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'd add Milne to that list of stars. He single handedly dragged us over the line in plenty of games in 2010. Especially during the 7-8 weeks (or was it longer?) when Rooy tore his hamstring off the bone in the early rounds

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 3:34pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 1:49pm

Appreciate that. I don’t really measure lists in that way. I think most lists including premiership teams will have players on the day that wouldn’t be in the top 22 of other teams.

Every list has its starts, quality or essential contributors, good ordinary players, role players and those that they’re developing into or trying to develop into those categories.

IMO there’s not many in the role category on this list. Whether or not they are good enough to be in the top 22 as the players they are is another question but I guess we’re just discussing separate things.

My sense that you’re more talking about the hat you perceive as players good enough to be on the list.
It's how ALL coaches at the elite measure players. And when you think about it, it's fairly obvious that is the only way to measure a players worth if you are in the business of winning silverware.

It is generally accepted that the definition of a "role" player is a player who isn't blessed with certain talents and as such it's widely accepted that a flag team can only carry about 4-6 "role" players.

Presently our list is way off the GF pace, one poster recently highlighted perfectly my point above by arguing we aren't too far off the pace because of how close the margin was against the Pies, this claim absolutely hammers home my point about using the correct measurement, it's pointless measuring up against Collingwood in April, we need a test against a top four side in September, preferably when it matters, and that is the final 2 weeks of September. That's the litmus test, and we are so far off the pace in finding a team that can get us to that testing point. And then when you get your opportunity at that first litmus test, (a preliminary final), all you have done is gained the opportunity to test yourself at the second last hurdle. AND how many middle-of-the-ladder teams have failed constantly at that second last hurdle, North being the last best example.

And I am absolutely certain the point I'm making is something Lyon isn't kidding himself about, as I have said repeatedly, I believe he sold a mandate to Bassett to turn over the list drastically within his first 4 years as he's not kidding himself about this list. And I think the performance against the Hawks would have really validated that for Lyon, we were monstered physically by a team competing for this years wooden spoon. Doesn't sound like a list capable of standing up in the closing minutes of a GF does it?

T74 recently summed up our predicament and massive challenge ahead, and it's the point I've been making since Lyon was appointed, you can have a brilliant coach but the coach is nothing without the players. This list will look totally different towards the end of Lyons contract.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 1:54pm

Agreed
yes ….my precious…
You gone personal again?
Can I?
Or you run squealing to mods again like a stuck pig?
Again put me on foe and move on
You’re irrelevant

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 9:33pm

Agreed
yes ….my precious…
You gone personal again?
Can I?
You’re irrelevant
Then stop replying to my posts. Yep, if you insult me or use offensive terms, I will report your posts. Eventually the mods will act.

For the record, I don't put anyone on foe, even nasty posters like you.

However for the most part I don't read your fawning sick making posts. I would like it to be recorded now that Lyon isn't a f****** Mesiah and it's only taken 10 rounds for that to become f****** obvious. To everyone except fanboys like you.

Luckily for him though, he has three bloody good assistant coaches.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Agreed
yes ….my precious…
You gone personal again?
Can I?
You’re irrelevant
Christ you are an annoying bleating presence on this forum.

Yes we lost badly. Yes team selection and the coaching strategies were demonstrably poor. Yes, that tarnishes the image of your hero. Learn to live with it and stop rabbitting on with every sort of deflection and defence you can come up with.

Coaches have bad days like players. Lyon had a shocker against the Hawks. He’ll come back.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
takeaway
Club Player

meher baba wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 2:48pm

Agreed
yes ….my precious…
You gone personal again?
Can I?
You’re irrelevant

Yes we lost badly. Yes team selection and the coaching strategies were demonstrably poor. Yes, that tarnishes the image of your hero. Learn to live with it and stop rabbitting on with every sort of deflection and defence you can come up with.

Coaches have bad days like players. Lyon had a shocker against the Hawks. He’ll come back.
If team selection and coaching strategies were demonstrably poor, and Lyon had a shocker, can you please elaborate?

We were outplayed, yet had the game in the bag. I put it down to the players didn't seem to be "on", limited pressure, fumbling, were they prepared well enough, and Lyon took ownership of that.

Be interested to know other coaching disasters that made it a shocker.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Umm 🤔

Sicily?

Umm 🤔 non selection of proven players?

Use of Gresham

Nah… he didn’t have a good day

takeaway
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 5:22pm Umm 🤔

Sicily?

Umm 🤔 non selection of proven players?

Use of Gresham

Nah… he didn’t have a good day
Sharman placed on Sicily, ok in 3rd, beaten in 4th. What/who do you suggest would have stopped Sicily? Hawks have specific tactics to isolate him.
Non selection of who?
Use of Gresham - ??

A missed chest mark from a win.

Not saying errors weren't made, I thought Sinclair should have stayed in his HB/mid role, but the player's minds didn't seem on the job. That's on Ross, as he said. Players didn't have a good day, with few exceptions.

I thought the coach didn't matter?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They matter

Just not as much as everyone thinks

And quality of team is far more important

takeaway
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 6:19pm They matter

I tend to agree. Quality of team is the most important.

A good coaching system does make a difference though.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Finally some balance.

It's a dreary ole cliche but it's indisputable....the sum of all parts.

Currently we have a great coaching department....quality of list not so much, and ability to procure said quality list also not so much.

I know it probably as been received as provocative and flippant comment by me in the past, but what is Lyon's magic trick that Noooooooo other coach EVER had with regards to procuring said quality list. Its the hardest job in elite sport and especially in a compromised talent pool and even more compromised with Tasmania entering the league.

Lyon is going to need to spend much time with David Copperfield over the next few years.

Great coach, but is confined to a system that treats the poorer cellar dwelling clubs unkindly.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are we admitting Ratts and even more so Richo also had poor lists - yet??

Or did they have good lists, and they were the problem?

Because I don’t remember a season since 2012 where I thought we had a finals capable list (Pelchen saw to that!) in fact we had some putrid teams in that period! - not even 2020 when we actually played finals!

I mean Seb Ross is bagged incessantly on here, and twice he was voted the best performed player on the list!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 8:56pm Are we admitting Ratts and even more so Richo also had poor lists - yet??

Because I don’t remember a season since 2012 where I thought we had a finals capable list (Pelchen saw to that!) in fact we had some putrid teams in that period! - not even 2020 when we actually played finals!

I mean Seb Ross is bagged incessantly on here, and twice he was voted the best performed player on the list!
one thing that can't be discounted with regards to our list quality since 2009 - 20012, is the impact on the talent pool with the entry of the franchise teams. Ironically Lyon has returned to the club at a time Tasmania will drain the talent pool arguably more than what GWS and GCS combined as Tasmania will be a basket case for decades.

That challenge aside though, what actually is Lyon's plan to procure a quality list, has anyone heard what his plan is?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The same way every team improves their list

Use EVERY mechanism available

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 2:48pm

Agreed
yes ….my precious…
You gone personal again?
Can I?
You’re irrelevant

Stop playing up to your sycophant fanboys in Saynta - everyone knows I’ve given you a few taps over the years so you’ve got a bee in your bonnet against me.
You know I don’t rate your opinions (you tried defending Thomas to the death) and your boorish posts often make no sense.
Now back to footy - if you READ my posts you’ll see I’ve made plenty of points where Lyon (and all his coaching panel) need to improve. I’ve also focused on where our playing group needs to improve. That’s football opinion on a fan footy website.
Don’t like it? Don’t **** n read it????
Even for a simpleton like you it can’t be that hard.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 2:24pm

Agreed
yes ….my precious…
You gone personal again?
Can I?
You’re irrelevant
Then stop replying to my posts. Yep, if you insult me or use offensive terms, I will report your posts. Eventually the mods will act.

For the record, I don't put anyone on foe, even nasty posters like you.

However for the most part I don't read your fawning sick making posts. I would like it to be recorded now that Lyon isn't a f****** Mesiah and it's only taken 10 rounds for that to become f****** obvious. To everyone except fanboys like you.

Luckily for him though, he has three bloody good assistant coaches.
Lol so you’re officially “off Lyon” you hate him and Brett Ratten should’ve remained coach ???
Grow some balls, get off the fence, stop hiding behind “oh but I like HIS coaching panel “ drivel and muster up a friggen opinion if you have it in you
If not, feel free to ignore my posts - you’ve driven dozens away from this site with your petty eye rolls, dumb 1 word posts that offer no value other than “I **** n hate x”
It’s boorish and senile
Off now - adults want to talk footy

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 6:19pm They matter

Coach or list??
😂😂

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 31 May 2023 8:56pm Are we admitting Ratts and even more so Richo also had poor lists - yet??

How are Sebs last 4 games shaping up ????????
Still living in the past???
And did Richo have 6 years to shape a list?????
Ratten 3 years ??????? Telling the Board “we are in the window”
And you’re comparing Lyon after 11 games ????
How mind numingly dumb is that I mean honestly…11 games and you’re comparing his ability to even shape a list???
**** me

“Yeah….nah””