Team vs Hawthorn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

Re: Team vs Hawthorn

Feel for Highmore (perhaps at the wrong club), Bytel and Windhager for differing reasons. All three have deserved a crack in the seniors for several games at least.

avid
Club Player

1971 wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 11:48pm Feel for Highmore (perhaps at the wrong club), Bytel and Windhager for differing reasons. All three have deserved a crack in the seniors for several games at least.
Totally agree
Wish Highmore could get a look-in.

ctqs
Club Player

Jesus I'm glad people here don't get to pick the side.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

ctqs wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 12:11am Jesus I'm glad people here don't get to pick the side.
100%

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:08pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:02pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 9:40pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 9:20pm I am guilty of ‘goer bias’

Paton and Byrnes
Byrnesy really has a go..
Ditto Paton

I am also guilty of ‘Steady Pro’ bias

Ross always prepares and looks the goods..
He’s sharp and plays each moment with a steady hand

Sometimes it ain’t much

And I’m guilty of ‘battler Bias’

Josh Battle and Brad Crouch and George Paton
Paton gets two categories
The challenge I have with Byrnes is that his peak game was round 1 one and even though he’s had a few close games with numbers…
But in terms of performance, IMO he hasn’t gotten close to matching that peak performance. I think it’s kind of a case of in terms of actually being damaging… the variance is too great at the moment. Byrnes potentially could be the type that is left on is own as they double team Sincs and has 25 without being much of a problem.

If I was an opposition coach… Byrnes appeals to me as a player to target that could easily be put off his game. Whilst he has gone from the delist zone to def keep on the list for another year or two…
But at the same time I’d like to see him spend some time at Sandy specifically working on quality of touches rather than quantity.
Fair enough S

Can’t say I disagree with much of that

But I can’t see how VFL time will turn him into a better kick. (If that’s the issue) He might be trained to turn this way or that, or not to do this or that, but basic disposal skills..I think it’s too late. He is a speedy player..a touch like another forgotten player who is still actually on our list - Zac Jones, sans the towball aggression .

So JB must be really down the pub with his manager as I write these (famous) words, asking about that offer from Essendon and North.
I’m not sure if it’s quality of disposal opposed to more adept decision making. I’d like him him to slow down a touch when he has the ball and make better decisions as to where to direct that, pinpoint or not.
Now that has some meat on the bone.
Because Byrnesy might be rushing the disposal on account of Ross-the-boss'es speed regime?

He obviously hasn't got the balance and poise of Hill or NWM, but he has got the 'go factor'.

How could he be deemed to be a better option than Windy or JB? The answer is speed and willingness.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Not sold on the idea of Membrey being sub or any of the of emergencies for that matter.

Bytel, Windhager and Billings must be getting frustrated as all f***, especially when Paton keeps getting picked ahead of them.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:08pm My first post against Ross the boss. There is much better players on the list than Paton. Doesn’t use it well and doesn’t have great physical present. Isn’t quick. I’m pissed off with that selection
Yes surprised me too.

Given that Paton is not likely to play back and will most likely be used up the ground in an outside role, one would have thought Billings a much better fit.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 1:41am
Moods wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:08pm My first post against Ross the boss. There is much better players on the list than Paton. Doesn’t use it well and doesn’t have great physical present. Isn’t quick. I’m pissed off with that selection
Yes surprised me too.

Given that Paton is not likely to play back and will most likely be used up the ground in an outside role, one would have thought Billings a much better fit.
Agreed.
Our mids coach is Lenny, you'd have expected him to think carefully.
And Boris would've put Paton in, as he's the backline coach.
There must be a reason Paton's still playing.
Is it to show him to other clubs that might want him?
WCE, Suns, Hawks?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Paton is a 24 year old player who has an ability to play a variety of roles.

Will he ever be a star? Probably not. Could he polish his game and become a player who plays 100-150 games of AFL football. Absolutely!

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Paton goes back to replace Sinclair, who will play through the middle.

That'll also allow NWM to keep playing with a bit of freedom.

Structure of two key forwards plus a bunch of smalls seems to have been working better than 3 keys.

That's how it looks to me anyway.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 11:56pm Totally agree
Wish Highmore could get a look-in.
I don't, it would mean that Wilkie or Howard are injured.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I'm a bit concerned we're heading towards the same "selection integrity" we had under Ratts... c'mon Ross, get tough!

Also, at this point why is Billings even on our list? If you're not going to play him we may as well have traded him in the off season and gotten something!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 10:15pm
on the outer wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 7:44pm Not much speed to bring in late in the game with whoever they choose as the sub from those four,
I’ve been wondering about this for the last month - is the sub better being a tall rather than a mid ?

I’m not sure that any of the mids we have had as subs have made much of a difference.
But tall guys can make an impact - a big mark up,forward against a tiring defensive, a saving mark in defence, a deft tap at a ruck contest, crashing a pack and spoiling a mark in the middle of the ground. I’d be keen to try a taller option. Don’t howl me down but bringing Cordy on as a sub when his legs are fresh and the defence is tiring might just be enough to get us an extra goal or 2 late in the game and give Ro a much needed chop out.
Worth a try. You might be onto something.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 12:11am Jesus I'm glad people here don't get to pick the side.
8-) :wink:

Apples
Club Player

I'm a little worried, Hawks have two big agressive rucks in Reeves and Meek, they could wear Marshall down if he has to basically ruck all day, Owens has been useful as a pinch hit ruck option but not available this round, It looks like our fall back is Caminiti which means he will have to ruck against a genuine ruckman when called upon and not the other teams second banana, we better hope Marshall can go all day unless there is a late switch of resources and Campbell gets a gig.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 11:47am Also, at this point why is Billings even on our list? If you're not going to play him we may as well have traded him in the off season and gotten something!
We probably shopped around and got no interest.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 8:17am Paton is a 24 year old player who has an ability to play a variety of roles.

Will he ever be a star? Probably not. Could he polish his game and become a player who plays 100-150 games of AFL football. Absolutely!
Maybe a Frankie Peckett in the making?

It was just yesterday we thought we had in Paton and Coffield, a pair of stars down back to help Wilkie and Howard.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 9:14am Paton goes back to replace Sinclair, who will play through the middle.

That'll also allow NWM to keep playing with a bit of freedom.

Structure of two key forwards plus a bunch of smalls seems to have been working better than 3 keys.

That's how it looks to me anyway.
Paton goes back to replace Sinclair, who will play through the middle....whats wrong with Windhager? Hes similar size, similar stats, faster, and unknown upside...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 11:47am I'm a bit concerned we're heading towards the same "selection integrity" we had under Ratts... c'mon Ross, get tough!

Also, at this point why is Billings even on our list? If you're not going to play him we may as well have traded him in the off season and gotten something!
woudn't have gotton much from him last year. still gaining condition and speed in the VFL

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 26 May 2023 11:57am
on the outer wrote: Thu 25 May 2023 7:44pm Not much speed to bring in late in the game with whoever they choose as the sub from those four,
I’ve been wondering about this for the last month - is the sub better being a tall rather than a mid ?

I’m not sure that any of the mids we have had as subs have made much of a difference.
But tall guys can make an impact - a big mark up,forward against a tiring defensive, a saving mark in defence, a deft tap at a ruck contest, crashing a pack and spoiling a mark in the middle of the ground. I’d be keen to try a taller option. Don’t howl me down but bringing Cordy on as a sub when his legs are fresh and the defence is tiring might just be enough to get us an extra goal or 2 late in the game and give Ro a much needed chop out.
Worth a try. You might be onto something.

I can imagine that it probably will be Sharman as Sub.

learnt to play wing and foward, and back last year.

Saint2
Club Player

Paton is a good player- excellent mark for his size and uses the ball well. No good picking out his occasional bad disposals etc and writing him off. Lyon is a top coach, has us 5th on the ladder, so he probably knows what he is doing at selection

lewdogs
Club Player

It's the same team we had in the second half when Owens went down. I actually thought Paton was pretty good last week after coming on.

The weird one is the sub. You'd have to think it's Membrey or Sharman, a very different sub option to what we've had lately.

They obviously want Windy to build more form in the 2s. He needs to be consistently dominating at VFL level, hasn't done that this year. Bytel is unlucky but you'd have to drop Crouch or another inside mid to get him in.

older saint
SS Life Member

I actually don't think any team across the AFL have yet mastered the sub.
The issue with a big is IF you get an injury early in he game to a mid you are top heavy for the rest of the game. It is easier to lose a tall and shuffle mid sizer players around than try and find a spot for an additional tall . I actually think versatility is the key to this role, the ability to cover the ground and play more than one spot. Yes Cordy can play multiple positions but not cover the ground.
Looking at the fringe players on the list or those injured names like Sharman, Coffield or mids like Bytel and Windy ( as have been used).

Like i said though not sure their is a school of thought across the league on the sub type

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Not doing Windy or Bytel any favors continually picking them to be the sub.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

in RTB i trust

fanboy