Windhager

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Choman

Windhager

What has happened to Marcus.
Best on in the Ressies last two weeks and cant get in the best 26.
Injured, disciplined... ?
Whats up

66Iwasthere
Club Player

Re: Windhager

It has been mentioned somewhere that he was having trouble coming to grips with game plan.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 2:52pm It has been mentioned somewhere that he was having trouble coming to grips with game plan.
Yes, that is what I’ve heard. I hope playing him at Sandy this weekend only increases his appetite to get back into the St.Kilda team.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stkfc1
Club Player

He'll get his chance.
I want to see him in the team as much as anyone else but maybe the coaches have said something along the lines of "Give a us a string of good games in the VFL. Force our hand here". He's had a couple of good ones in a row. He plays another blinder this week and he's doing the right thing for himself. I don't want to see players play one good game in the 2s, get rushed back in, and struggle, only to drop out again.
Get a run of good games under your belt and bring that form into the seniors, when your time comes.

longtimesaint
Club Player

He’s a natural runner -why would he struggle with the game plan?

One year will be our year
ace
Saintsational Legend

Choman wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 11:25am What has happened to Marcus.
Whats up
My money is on discipline.

He may have done something that the club is keeping quiet but the penalty is he has been suspended from senior games for a number of weeks.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
66Iwasthere
Club Player

Lack of discipline doesn’t make sense. He comes across as being very diligent and disciplined.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 9:55pm
Choman wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 11:25am What has happened to Marcus.
Whats up
My money is on discipline.

He may have done something that the club is keeping quiet but the penalty is he has been suspended from senior games for a number of weeks.
Bad bet IMO. Everything about him screams good attitude.

I recall in reading in Inside the Bubble that a young Jarryd Geary was pulled up quite a few times by RTB for not standing or knowing where to stand at ball ups or other particular scenarios.

I think it’s that simple. I reckon they have particular things they want Windy to be doing and I reckon he’s struggled a bit with hubris of it rather than the effort/work-rate aspect.

IMO they’re playing him at Sandy so that he can have full games doing what he’s supposed to do and we’ll pbly see him as early as next week.

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

The talk on BigFooty is that the club is trying to develop him into a positive midfielder who wins his own ball and kicks goals. Quite the opposite from last year where he was a negative midfielder tagging the best and keeping their numbers low and his relatively normal. I think they want to get a string of games together and unleash him for the hawks clash against a younger midfield and give maybe Steele or Crouch a rest. I’m just as angry as everyone that he wasn’t picked say over Ross re form or Phillipou re needing a spell, and we still persist with Ross whose contract is coming to an end this year and Phillipou who looks baked at the moments. I hope Windy becomes the star we want him to be.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 12:34am The talk on BigFooty is that the club is trying to develop him into a positive midfielder who wins his own ball and kicks goals. Quite the opposite from last year where he was a negative midfielder tagging the best and keeping their numbers low and his relatively normal. I think they want to get a string of games together and unleash him for the hawks clash against a younger midfield and give maybe Steele or Crouch a rest.
That sounds about right and if so I’m glad he’s not being pigeonholed as merely a tagger. I think he has more to offer and is starting to show it for the Zebras.

groupie1
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 1:56am
TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 12:34am The talk on BigFooty is that the club is trying to develop him into a positive midfielder who wins his own ball and kicks goals. Quite the opposite from last year where he was a negative midfielder tagging the best and keeping their numbers low and his relatively normal. I think they want to get a string of games together and unleash him for the hawks clash against a younger midfield and give maybe Steele or Crouch a rest.
That sounds about right and if so I’m glad he’s not being pigeonholed as merely a tagger. I think he has more to offer and is starting to show it for the Zebras.
The whole 'Windhager is a tagger' thing is overcooked, anyway. He did it, what, 6 times last year to develop his defensive side to his game, and he did well. However, if he is, play him at back pocket on a gun small forward and let's see if we can't revolutionize that position.

The issue with not picking Windy is how the coaching group is viewing our window. Steel, Crouch, Hill, Membrey, Sinclair are not getting any younger. If we wanna content with those players on the list, we need to get maximum games into Windhager.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

groupie1 wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 4:06am
The whole 'Windhager is a tagger' thing is overcooked, anyway. He did it, what, 6 times last year to develop his defensive side to his game, and he did well. However, if he is, play him at back pocket on a gun small forward and let's see if we can't revolutionize that position.

The issue with not picking Windy is how the coaching group is viewing our window. Steel, Crouch, Hill, Membrey, Sinclair are not getting any younger. If we wanna content with those players on the list, we need to get maximum games into Windhager.
Don’t get frustrated with me… I agree with everything you are saying. I’m just saying what’s been talked about on here and BigFooty.

I won’t say he’s tagging is over cooked. He did a good job on Kelly keeping him to 4 disposals and Neale to 16. He even got a rising star nomination based on his tagging.

I want Windy to play and get games into him. Even the times when he came on as a sub he kicked a nice goal or set one up. He needs to be played.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Windy is a future leader of the club, potentially Captain.

The club knows this and will be setting him up for success. If this means a few weeks in the VFL to better his overall contribution to the club, so be it.

It's more important than the 4 points.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Definitely not discipline

That’s a silly suggestion

It’s the Ross mantra

Go with the tried and tested - and you have to earn your spot

I don’t agree with it, and the NO Armitage and Steven in 09/10 cost us a flag!

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Looks like Windy's talent is blowing right past Lyon's radar and anemometer.

ace
Saintsational Legend

66Iwasthere wrote: Fri 19 May 2023 10:16pm Lack of discipline doesn’t make sense. He comes across as being very diligent and disciplined.
Maybe I should have said disciplineD.
Disciplined for something other than the way he plays.
Maybe something unrelated to football.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
groupie1
Club Player

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 9:58am
groupie1 wrote: Sat 20 May 2023 4:06am

Don’t get frustrated with me… I agree with everything you are saying. I’m just saying what’s been talked about on here and BigFooty.

I won’t say he’s tagging is over cooked. He did a good job on Kelly keeping him to 4 disposals and Neale to 16. He even got a rising star nomination based on his tagging.

I want Windy to play and get games into him. Even the times when he came on as a sub he kicked a nice goal or set one up. He needs to be played.
Sorry, man.
Didn't mean to sound frustrated.
Yes, his tagging efforts have been good but I think he already showed he is far more than that.

Although.... if he is that good at the role, I'd gladly get Windy in ahead of Paton and Webster and give us another weapon.

Agreed... he absolutely needs to be played.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga