Round 10

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Round 10

At least 5 changes coming up.

IN: Windy, Billings, Webster, Bytel/Gresham and King.

OUT: Take your pick, but Members will be one.

If one was being really adventurous, you might consider replacing Howard with Highmore. At least Highmore can mark a football.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Round 10

Patn, Membrey, Steele (rest) , Byrnes OUT

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
happy feet
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 5:53pm At least 5 changes coming up.

If one was being really adventurous, you might consider replacing Howard with Highmore. At least Highmore can mark a football.
I must admit I have not been so impressed with Howard of late. Seems slow and several times today lost sight of the ball in the contest and was very slow to react.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The problem on display yesterday was not so much about individual players as it was structural. The 22 we had on the park proved unable to hold the structure in place and neutralise Adelaide's attack in the way that we had done against all the other teams we had played so far this year.

Of course, Adelaide played really well and with enormous confidence: they took a lot of risks moving the ball quickly out of defence and the kicks hit their targets and the handballs came off. And, as they got further and further ahead on the scoreboard, they were able to take more and more risks and get more and more rewards.

I think the biggest problem yesterday was up forward. Out of Caminiti, Sharman, Membrey, HIggins, Butler, Philppou (sometimes) and Ownes (mostly) only the last three offer a great deal of resistance defensively: although I will acknowledge that HIggins is better defensively this year than ever before and Caminiti tries his guts out. But I reckon that forward defence was where it all started to go wrong yesterday, compounded by an unusually poor performance by our relatively weak midfield. And of course neither the midfield or the forward line were all that great in attack: although we had periods in which we looked threatening, especially the second quarter.

When there are big defeats, fans will focus a lot of their anger on backlines, where the most obvious mistakes are made. But backlines are almost always going to fall apart under wave after wave of attack. So I don't suggest any changes there.

So I think the most urgenty-required change is for Cordy to come back into the forward line and provide some sort of defensive threat up there. If King is fit, bring him in too. If not, let's bring in an extra midfielder to bolster that area, and have both Owens and Philippou play forward most of the time.

So, assuming King isn't quite ready yet, my two obvious changes are

IN: Cordy, Bytel
OUT: Membrey, Sharman

Windhager could come back as sub. If Steele is out, then Windhager can come in permanently and Billings can be sub.

I'm not convinced any more changes are required. However, Webster for Paton would make sense: if Webster is fully fit. Then Paton might go to sub and Billings stay in the VFL, where, on the basis of yesterday's performance, I think he needs another game or two.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
wally
Club Player

I think as far as the backline is concerned if you make Wilkie Howard & Battle accountable there’s no one else to come over the top with a spoil or intercept mark. Coffield was good at that and able to defend also. Mason Wood was coming back and helping out but I don’t think he is the same player since he hurt his shoulder

Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

I don't think there will be anymore than 3 changes with the 1 compulsory one for Membrey. Which I might add that Membrey for 5 to 10 minutes before he got hurt started playing like we know he can and probably would have slotted that goal if hadn't got concussed.
The obvious change is King for Membrey, but I don't expect King to set the world on fire from game 1. It took his brother 3 or 4 games to start having some sort of imapct at Gold Coast.
I do agree that Webster comes in for Paton and Windhager surely deserves a spot after his performances with Sandringham. Gresham is another who comes in, but not sure at whose expense. Cooper Sharman will probably make way for someone.
The good thing is that GWS are nowhere near as skillful as Adelaide is and our smothering game should work well on them. It's kicking goals we need to improve; we need to be averaging 13 goals plus a game because scoreboard pressure helps our defensive game. Personally, when Membrey, King and Caminiti are all playing in the side together, I would like to see Owens go into the midfield rotations as an onballer, not a second ruck as he could be a monster at clearances.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

GWS aren’t any good. They’ll finish bottom 4 this year

I say go in unchanged with 3 players hobbling and we’ll still beat them

Having said that :lol: I reckon we should really take them on in the middle, win contested footy, and just totally set up our year (if the boys want to play finals)

Need to practice a different method for inside 50 entries and need to build some confidence.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why not. I’ll go with that

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Our F50 entries continue to be below VFL standard.
A VFl coach has more chance of getting it right (I'm starting to think).

Perhaps the RL game plan is too taxing ... it's starting to take its toll (both mentally and physically)?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 14 May 2023 6:05pm

I must admit I have not been so impressed with Howard of late. Seems slow and several times today lost sight of the ball in the contest and was very slow to react.
Three, at least, dropped marks resulting in three crow lice goals. Not good.