Vilification will earn you a lifetime ban

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Vilification will earn you a lifetime ban

Nothing wrong with my memory. As I said Goodes was a thug but that's just my opinion.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Discussing Mr Goodes can be volitile.
Theres very valid points on both sides of the discussion.

Goodes DID receive racially motivated comments by fans throughout his career. That is undisputable & reprehensible.

When Mr Goodes appeared to act in what some state a ruthless manner towards a child who called him an ape, he fanned a fire of dissent against himself from those who had previously NOT opposed him. He had every right to bring attention to the matter & seek change. The manner in which he acted revealed his own struggles & lack of skills to manage difficult interactions & to judge levels of tenacity required for each circumstance. E.g. Hammering a child vs an adult (he told the AFL he wanted her, 're-educated, banned for life, publically called out'). Eddie McGuire wanted to state his words publically but was cautioned (rightly so) but like Mr Goodes, he made a calculated choice to react & try to hurt Mr Goodes publically with a 'slip of the tongue'...which WAS a racist comment intended to harm.

Then he did a 'dance' during the Indigenous round where he admits he purposefully 'aimed at Carlton'... those were his words. He threw a spear ( took aim) at supporters. Some, not all, supporters felt it was a message that he was calling them racist & or taking aim in an act of violence ( throwing a real spear at someone is not how we would expect meaniful conversations to occur). But Goodes said it was his 'culture, his right, to perform any where anytime'.

After these 2 events the booing escalated to where it is believed a 'mob' mentality took over and people joined in without really having any angst towards Mr Goodes but simply as a means to rattle an oppostition player or team.

Im aboriginal. This is fact.
I do not doubt at all many athletes and others receive loads of racist comments...by those who mean it.

Booing or any other action done to single out a persons race is wrong.

I believe some did this, but I also believe Mr Goodes hurt our cause more than helped by his own woundeness causing him to react.

I can emphathise, it would be difficult. Very difficult. But if you herald as a spokesperson for an entire race you need support to ensure not only your mental wellbeing but ability to manage hurtful attacks.

Politicians or other public officials who lash out at those who 'hurt' them or their cause are not viewed favourably in our culture.

To this extent Mr Goodes created the momentum. He did not light the fire but he fanned it....hard. That is a fact.

Im not the only aboriginal voice who said this at the time but our voices are drowned out as if WE cant see clearly from the inside.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 11:58am Discussing Mr Goodes can be volitile.

Goodes DID receive racially motivated comments by fans throughout his career. That is undisputable & reprehensible.

When Mr Goodes appeared to act in what some state a ruthless manner towards a child who called him an ape, he fanned a fire of dissent against himself from those who had previously NOT opposed him. He had every right to bring attention to the matter & seek change. The manner in which he acted revealed his own struggles & lack of skills to manage difficult interactions & to judge levels of tenacity required for each circumstance. E.g. Hammering a child vs an adult (he told the AFL he wanted her, 're-educated, banned for life, publically called out'). Eddie McGuire wanted to state his words publically but was cautioned (rightly so) but like Mr Goodes, he made a calculated choice to react & try to hurt Mr Goodes publically with a 'slip of the tongue'...which WAS a racist comment intended to harm.

Then he did a 'dance' during the Indigenous round where he admits he purposefully 'aimed at Carlton'... those were his words. He threw a spear ( took aim) at supporters. Some, not all, supporters felt it was a message that he was calling them racist & or taking aim in an act of violence ( throwing a real spear at someone is not how we would expect meaniful conversations to occur). But Goodes said it was his 'culture, his right, to perform any where anytime'.

After these 2 events the booing escalated to where it is believed a 'mob' mentality took over and people joined in without really having any angst towards Mr Goodes but simply as a means to rattle an oppostition player or team.

I do not doubt at all many athletes and others receive loads of racist comments...by those who mean it.

I believe some did this, but I also believe Mr Goodes hurt our cause more than helped by his own woundeness causing him to react.

I can emphathise, it would be difficult. Very difficult. But if you herald as a spokesperson for an entire race you need support to ensure not only your mental wellbeing but ability to manage hurtful attacks.

Politicians or other public officials who lash out at those who 'hurt' them or their cause are not viewed favourably in our culture.

To this extent Mr Goodes created the momentum. He did not light the fire but he fanned it....hard. That is a fact.

Im not the only aboriginal voice who said this at the time but our voices are drowned out as if WE cant see clearly from the inside.
Thank you for your post and perspective on this matter.
It's easy for us who are not part of the indigenous culture to view the issue from within our own narrow non-indigenous perspective.

lewdogs
Club Player

Imagine if Buddy ends up getting booed weekly? They'll genuinely have to ban booing at the football.

The AFL honchos would be crapping themselves right now. They foolishly thought everything would just disappear after Goodes never to be seen again.

happy feet
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Tue 09 May 2023 11:58am Discussing Mr Goodes can be volitile.

Thanks for your post, it gives some good perspective. My future son in law is part Aboriginal - his dad is koori and mum phillipino.

A few months ago the Adam Goddes docco was on and i had not planned to watch it but the telly was on that channel and the future son-in-law was there and i could see him visibly affected by what was portrayed by the documentary. Not long after that he was spat on in the street by some low life scum bag . Not good that such overt racism exists today.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Sebastian Tombs wrote: Sun 07 May 2023 9:09am So let me get this right if you racially vilified someone and your in the crowd you get a life time ban , but if your a player on the ground and do it you get six weeks yeah that seems fair 🙄
Surely we are not stupid enough to compare punishments now to 2 years ago?

Things change so rapidly in football, what wasn't worth a punishment last year is worth 2 weeks this year.

I would hope that Racially charged comments from players are a thing of the past and if you are stupid enough to do it now, you deserve a lifetime ban.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Buddy should wear it as a badge of honour. I mean what greater respect can you be paid than to be booed by Collingwood fans. They are mostly toothless bogans, but they know their football and that Buddy has been a champion of the game.

I remember Plugger copped it mercilessly in a comeback match for the Swans (might have been his final game and he couldn’t get near it) also against Collingwood.

They were just paying their respects to someone who had terrorised them for 15 years.

Football is a tribal contest. Not black versus white … it’s us against whoever we are playing. I’m not convinced it is racially motivated, not by anyone I know.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

In Europe crowds boo every opposition possession!!
Whether it be basketball or soccer.

It could be a player with pink hair that’s booed.

Only a sheep would follow the current narrative being driven in regards to Franklin.

Eddie Betts on 360 said “if Buddy says the booing is racism then it’s racism. It can’t be argued”
Ummmm…..what!!?? Completely ridiculous statement, I respect Eddie because I think he’s genuine in mort things he says, but not his finest moment. He’s alluding it’s a Kangaroo Court. That’s not right in my books.

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 1:42pm Buddy should wear it as a badge of honour. I mean what greater respect can you be paid than to be booed by Collingwood fans. They are mostly toothless bogans, but they know their football and that Buddy has been a champion of the game.

I remember Plugger copped it mercilessly in a comeback match for the Swans (might have been his final game and he couldn’t get near it) also against Collingwood.

They were just paying their respects to someone who had terrorised them for 15 years.

Football is a tribal contest. Not black versus white … it’s us against whoever we are playing. I’m not convinced it is racially motivated, not by anyone I know.
100% it’s tribal.
Gone are the days in general where it was a pile on of proper racism and abuse to every player in general for that matter.

Tribalism has disappeared and it’s now a picnic for a large % of supporters. If men were allowed to show physicality I’d bet some tribalism would return to more clubs supporters. AFL has lost its soul in that sense.

I hope they keep banging on about it.
People will rebel further than they already are.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:18am
bigcarl wrote: Wed 10 May 2023 1:42pm Buddy should wear it as a badge of honour. I mean what greater respect can you be paid than to be booed by Collingwood fans. They are mostly toothless bogans, but they know their football and that Buddy has been a champion of the game.

100% it’s tribal.
Gone are the days in general where it was a pile on of proper racism and abuse to every player in general for that matter.

Tribalism has disappeared and it’s now a picnic for a large % of supporters. If men were allowed to show physicality I’d bet some tribalism would return to more clubs supporters. AFL has lost its soul in that sense.

I too am not convinced it’s racially motivated
Sure there’ll be deadbeats in the crowd saying ignorant rubbish but by and large I think it’s more about Buddies skill as a player they feared/didn’t like
I don’t boo at footy it’s a bit dumb but I’m also not a fan of being fed a narrative by an ABC type media to fuel an us against them attitude
Think it only widens any perceived existing racial divide tbh
Why not focus on “people” who we are as that and celebrate those people who do good things for no benefit/glory to help others

“Yeah….nah””
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:30am

100% it’s tribal.

Sure there’ll be deadbeats in the crowd saying ignorant rubbish but by and large I think it’s more about Buddies skill as a player they feared/didn’t like
I don’t boo at footy it’s a bit dumb but I’m also not a fan of being fed a narrative by an ABC type media to fuel an us against them attitude
Why not focus on “people” who we are as that and celebrate those people who do good things for no benefit/glory to help others
Whateley is the worst in peddling this type of stuff.

100%. We have 6-7 aboriginal players.
At the end of the day, if they are no good, get rid of them. Same goes for Caucasian or any other man with two arms and two legs.

Then, I’ll boo or heckle anyone I want on the opposition side. Might be triggered by an over the top goal celebration, an umpire decision gets me going, or it’s a free to a player that gets looked after more than others.
It might be that I dislike a player for no particular reason, just like in life where not everyone likes each other.
It happens in schools too without saying anything to one another. Then, in human nature people then copy each other and it snowballs.

There’s so many variables. Using the racist card all the time appeals to simpletons though, so they keep using it.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:46am

100% it’s tribal.

At the end of the day, if they are no good, get rid of them. Same goes for Caucasian or any other man with two arms and two legs.

Then, I’ll boo or heckle anyone I want on the opposition side. Might be triggered by an over the top goal celebration, an umpire decision gets me going, or it’s a free to a player that gets looked after more than others.
It might be that I dislike a player for no particular reason, just like in life where not everyone likes each other.
It happens in schools too without saying anything to one another. Then, in human nature people then copy each other and it snowballs.

There’s so many variables. Using the racist card all the time appeals to simpletons though, so they keep using it.
Booing also appeals to simpletons, so.......

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:50am

100% it’s tribal.

Everyone has booed at the footy in their lifetime.
But you keep doing you on your high horse bud 👍

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 1:00am

100% it’s tribal.

You feel pretty safe in the use of 'everyone' in that comment, don't you?
In reality, only a very small portion of our population go to the football.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think you can be a person that doesn't boo and still be racist at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive

Is booing a ranga racial vilification?

Anyhoo... it's funny listening to some of the Anglo Saxon whities on tv criticising other Anglo whities for booing. Take for example Eddie Maguire, on Classified tonight.

Eddie was trying hard to be sincere about understanding the hurt that most indigenous people feel about racial vilification

Eddie was mindful that it's a complex issue and he thinks he gets it...He tried to explain why it's complex.

I think he used words like 'touchy' and a phrase like 'in the world we live in today'...

See that's the key. Knowing where we've come from. Because in the world where Eddie grew up it was a world where the boongs knew their place...and their place was certainly not anywhere 'central' where the white folk lived.

They were driven out and segregated and had no rights and there were no issues having an Aboriginal man promoting a theatre stage show about an ape

freely
SS Hall of Fame

The trouble is, when a black player is booed - even for some bog standard reason, racists in the crowd take the opportunity to pile on. It gives them licence.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 3:30am I think you can be a person that doesn't boo and still be racist at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive

Anyhoo... it's funny listening to some of the Anglo Saxon whities on tv criticising other Anglo whities for booing. Take for example Eddie Maguire, on Classified tonight.

Eddie was trying hard to be sincere about understanding the hurt that most indigenous people feel about racial vilification

Eddie was mindful that it's a complex issue and he thinks he gets it...He tried to explain why it's complex.

I think he used words like 'touchy' and a phrase like 'in the world we live in today'...

See that's the key. Knowing where we've come from. Because in the world where Eddie grew up it was a world where the boongs knew their place...and their place was certainly not anywhere 'central' where the white folk lived.

They were driven out and segregated and had no rights and there were no issues having an Aboriginal man promoting a theatre stage show about an ape
Is writing the word 'ranga' racist toward redheads?

My favorite red head!

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

freely wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:36am The trouble is, when a black player is booed - even for some bog standard reason, racists in the crowd take the opportunity to pile on. It gives them licence.
That can’t possibly be policed though.
Only the person doing it will know their reasons unless Professor Xavier Charles exists in real life with his telepathy.

Not feasible to ban booing so it can’t change and thus a useless narrative led by media.

Label people directly racist as a result would open simple defamation cases, so they just do it lazily and put everyone in the one basket.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 9:51am
Scollop wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 3:30am I think you can be a person that doesn't boo and still be racist at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive

Is writing the word 'ranga' racist toward redheads?

My favorite red head!
It depends on whether it's a nation of redheads being vilified or just a few random ranga's in crowd.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

100% it’s tribal.

Everyone? Not me mate and I'm betting a lot of other sensible people can say the same thing..

Annoyedsaint
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:11pm

100% it’s tribal.

Everyone? Not me mate and I'm betting a lot of other sensible people can say the same thing..
So you are saying you have never booed or cursed at someone at a game of footy?

Never booed a player kicking for goal in a close game with a minute left? Never given choice words to an umpire that cost the game with a dodgy free??

Cmon….surely you jest.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:38pm
saynta wrote: Thu 11 May 2023 12:11pm

100% it’s tribal.

So you are saying you have never booed or cursed at someone at a game of footy?

Never booed a player kicking for goal in a close game with a minute left? Never given choice words to an umpire that cost the game with a dodgy free??

Cmon….surely you jest.
Well, I once told Cornes senior to do home. He stuck his middle finger up at me. Apart from that narda.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

100% it’s tribal.

Sooooo with this arguement...cheering or applauding appeals to simpletons?

Because, showing dis/pleasure by actions or words is what a simpleton does?

Yes! No! Boo! Yay! This may be how we express our emotions in relation to exetrnal stimuli.

Its not wrong.

Motivation IS the issue.

Hard part is that motive is extremely difficult to summise, even for skilled professionals...even ourselves.

It has taken me years to understand my motives for some things I've done.

If someone looks at a persons actions and then decides immediately they KNOW what that persons motivation is...that person is not a simpleton....they are acting a fool...and listening to that persons opinion may cause us to be the same.

Templar
Club Player

"Who are we booing at? Oh cool. Boooo"
"Why?"
"I dunno! Booo!"

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

The vast majority will keep booing now.
Just to spite all the dogooders.

I’ll all for it for that reason alone.

They booed Milne & Riewoldt as an example for years.
Who fkn cares.