Cordy is important to us structurally....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Re: Cordy is important to us structurally....

Saints58 wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:12pm Cordy is a very important player to our team in terms of being able to play multipule positions.
Maybe we should have moved cordy to CHB and taken Battle out to play up forward as he was getting smashed.
Key defence is Cordy position and he has played on some of the biggest and best forwards and done well on them, he wouldn't have played over 100 games if he was a dud.
His experience as a KD would really help plus he is 195cm to battle 193.
The move might have straight us up more with a player like battle playing forward who has plenty of experience there as with cordy playing back
Yes , but any position he plays, he does so as C grader...not his fault, that's just what he is....classic depth player, handy back up...and we are forced to play him as a Key forward.

I'd like to see a re think, have Campbell play 40% ruck time and allow Marshall to go forward.
Campbell is probably as good if not better at actual ruck work as Roma, and would be good in the last quarter, to allow Marshall to go deep forward and ruck the F50

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:12pm Cordy is a very important player to our team in terms of being able to play multipule positions.
Maybe we should have moved cordy to CHB and taken Battle out to play up forward as he was getting smashed.
Key defence is Cordy position and he has played on some of the biggest and best forwards and done well on them, he wouldn't have played over 100 games if he was a dud.
The move might have straight us up more with a player like battle playing forward who has plenty of experience there as with cordy playing back

Brave call to question Battle down back and to say it took a ‘smashing’.

Many here believe Battle has finally ‘found his home’ after roaming the world (like a tramp steamer, which he kind of is- and nothing bad about it)

Battle is fast and strong, good grab, nice long kick! A mini Buddy, charging out on the lead and giving another option for us and another worry for the oppo

Choosing the classic forward six is hard, but with Cam, King, Hayes out. Sharman in the outer and Cordy on the nose, it gets easier

So we could have

Higgo Owens Gresh
Battle Steele Membrey

with Butler and Billings off the bench?

Hill a winger/forward?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

There is a difference between playing, and playing well.

Saints58 wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:12pm Maybe we should have moved cordy to CHB and taken Battle out to play up forward as he was getting smashed.
Maybe as Battle was having a bad game, much like 18 of his team mates. But Battle has been good in his other games. Cordy has only had one good game with us.
Saints58 wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:12pm Key defence is Cordy position and he has played on some of the biggest and best forwards and done well on them, he wouldn't have played over 100 games if he was a dud.
Dogs have long lacked for good defenders. They now have them, and so Cordy was squeezed out.
Saints58 wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:12pm His experience as a KD would really help plus he is 195cm to battle 193.

Battle is a much better player than Cordy.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 1:08pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 12:32pm Those w@nkibg on about Cordy’s stats don’t mention that Allir did sweet FA for the game
There’s a reason the coach mentioned him in the presser but again some watch footy with jar of captain obvious pulls next to them
He did t get 30 so he must be Shiite
Poor thinking
I trust the coach over wanna be arm chair heroes
Allir was prominent all night

Got to an absolute ton of contests and made spoils or effected our movement going forward.

He’s actually the exact opposite of Cordy in the sense that despite not getting a ton of the ball, he was seen and his presence was felt very heavily.

As an example he illustrates the exact opposite of the point you’re making
Allir had 3 marks and 2 were when Cordy was off
I just don’t make stuff up is all to suit my agenda

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 1:58pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 12:32pm Those w@nkibg on about Cordy’s stats don’t mention that Allir did sweet FA for the game
There’s a reason the coach mentioned him in the presser but again some watch footy with jar of captain obvious pulls next to them
Poor thinking

Not sure if I qualify as an Arm Chair Hero, but I would note the following:

The opposition coaches have worked out how we are using Cordy, and have reacted accordingly. He is now much less effective at this role. In my mind he has gone from adding value to our forward line (Though if you had available then King, Caminiti and Hayes all would be preferred) to being a liability.

That with Caminiti also out that Cordy's ability to perform the Defensive Forward role assigned to him has been much reduced.

In this game Port clearly understood that our goal scoring ability is mainly via our small forwards and Owens/Poo and so set up against them.

CAMINITI

His brain fade has effected us significantly. He and Owens are our physical pack busting forwards who also take good contested marks. And Caminiti being our only true Key Forward so far on the park this season.

When Caminiti does not mark, he is importantly rarely not marked against. So the ball comes in play for smalls. WE NEED him back in as soon as his suspension is up.

RTB and our other coaches have got MUCH right this season. But, Cordy IMO no longer adds any value to our forward line.
He also now offers minimal value as the "chop out " ruck. Owens has been a revelation in this role (as well as all aspects of his game)
and so we can manage without Cordy as our chop our ruck.

Running Capacity: Cordy is nota good runner and so he is not adding value to our running game.

OPTIONS

Yes our cupboard is bare. Barer with the Caminiti suspension. Possibly barer still as the Poo is looking a little tired now, and probably should be manged for Billings in.

But Cordy has good from adding some value to offering not enough value.

So time for Campbell or Sharman. Heath does not have the tank, and Keeler too raw and not yet strong enough.

WILDCARD Van Ess (But only till Caminiti is back)

It is a pity that Highmore is out of form, otherwise he could have been an option to come is as is a good mark.
Once again
Allir had 3 marks 2 with Cordy off the ground
Not sure how you know opponents have now suddenly “worked out how we use him” but Lyon was glowing of his output in his presser
I’m sure he’ll go out when options return but I think the coach might know a little more and unlike others (who suggest Ross is lying) I don’t think that’s right

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 6:18pm
Poor thinking

Got to an absolute ton of contests and made spoils or effected our movement going forward.

He’s actually the exact opposite of Cordy in the sense that despite not getting a ton of the ball, he was seen and his presence was felt very heavily.

It’s not about stats Tef…

I have no qualms with the argument that you can contribute without getting ball…
Allir did it. He was really present in the game even though he didn’t get much of the ball. The problem with Cordy is that he isn’t. He’s barely present and seldom seen anywhere near the contest.

Ever notice how everyone who praises Cordy never praises him directly for anything he ever does. Even you. Loris os the only one to add some meat to the bone with her observation of his blocking… but come on, you have to contribute more than that.

And as has pointed out… if he’s playing so well, why does he keep getting taken off?

The rationalisation is turning into a joke at this point. Given me Windy’s 1 quarter ahead of Cordy’s 3 EASILY.

Blows my mind that ppl are happy with this. Talk about drinking the cool aid

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 6:39pm
Poor thinking

I have no qualms with the argument that you can contribute without getting ball…
Allir did it. He was really present in the game even though he didn’t get much of the ball. The problem with Cordy is that he isn’t. He’s barely present and seldom seen anywhere near the contest.

Ever notice how everyone who praises Cordy never praises him directly for anything he ever does. Even you. Loris os the only one to add some meat to the bone with her observation of his blocking… but come on, you have to contribute more than that.

And as has pointed out… if he’s playing so well, why does he keep getting taken off?

The rationalisation is turning into a joke at this point. Given me Windy’s 1 quarter ahead of Cordy’s 3 EASILY.

That's not good. Does RTB drink the cool aid? Don't see the relevance re Allir. He is given a licence to roam the backline and if he can, rebound. Spent time on Higgins, Membrey, Cordy and Marshall. Of course he'd be more "present" and get to more contests being all around the backline up to the centre. Cordy was mainly around the FF line.

Don't worry, once Caminiti is back, Cordy might go to Sandringham. Maybe even next week. In the meantime, RTB - " he's been super for us". Enough said.

Saints58
Club Player

Banger9798 wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 3:42pm
Yes , but any position he plays, he does so as C grader...not his fault, that's just what he is....classic depth player, handy back up...and we are forced to play him as a Key forward.

I'd like to see a re think, have Campbell play 40% ruck time and allow Marshall to go forward.
Campbell is probably as good if not better at actual ruck work as Roma, and would be good in the last quarter, to allow Marshall to go deep forward and ruck the F50

Some really good ideas it would allow us to be a lot bigger up forward and having a ruckmen like Campbell he is a better mark and ruckmen the Cordy.
Then when Roma is in the forward line we have a big target which should really help us.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The game would have had a different result if Cordy was on in Q4 for our long bomb entries.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 7:15pm
Poor thinking

That's not good. Does RTB drink the cool aid? Don't see the relevance re Allir. He is given a licence to roam the backline and if he can, rebound. Spent time on Higgins, Membrey, Cordy and Marshall. Of course he'd be more "present" and get to more contests being all around the backline up to the centre. Cordy was mainly around the FF line.

Don't worry, once Caminiti is back, Cordy might go to Sandringham. Maybe even next week. In the meantime, RTB - " he's been super for us". Enough said.
Teflon brought Alir

As far as the cool aid comment… my concern with RTB has always been the value he places on the contributions of his role players. It killed us last time with McQualter, Eddy, Dempster etc in the defensive forward time whilst the likes of Armitage, Steven etc played less than they should have.

I see the beginning of a repeat… both in terms of coaching and this forum lapping up obviously flawed moves because we’ve been winning.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 9:05pm
Poor thinking

Teflon brought Alir

As far as the cool aid comment… my concern with RTB has always been the value he places on the contributions of his role players. It killed us last time with McQualter, Eddy, Dempster etc in the defensive forward time whilst the likes of Armitage, Steven etc played less than they should have.

I see the beginning of a repeat… both in terms of coaching and this forum lapping up obviously flawed moves because we’ve been winning.
I hope there's a repeat - of finals. Role players killed us last time? Rubbish, but pointless going through it again.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 8:54pm The game would have had a different result if Cordy was on in Q4 for our long bomb entries.
Yeah of course, because all the long bombs in the first 3 quarters were being marked by Cordy, so why wouldn’t he have continued doing that. Well thought out

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 10:46pm
Otiman wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 8:54pm The game would have had a different result if Cordy was on in Q4 for our long bomb entries.
Yeah of course, because all the long bombs in the first 3 quarters were being marked by Cordy, so why wouldn’t he have continued doing that. Well thought out
No No. That's not his role - doesn't have to mark, just get the ball to the ground, try to block the big defenders, stop their intercepts. One C grade tall there would have been better than what we had - no talls, except a buggered Marshall trying to get back there. Sheesh!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 11:05pm
No No. That's not his role - doesn't have to mark, just get the ball to the ground, try to block the big defenders, stop their intercepts. One C grade tall there would have been better than what we had - no talls, except a buggered Marshall trying to get back there. Sheesh!
You’re a borderline stalker. Not good for you. Isn’t there something interesting on telly you can watch

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I think we are using Cordy and the sub strategy back to front.

A midfielder as a sub isn’t making a huge impact. Put Cordy in as a sub and bring him on the last quarter to add some extra height. We could have used some height in the last quarter deep forward when we were bombing it in.

When the pressure is on in the last quarter, players default to the long bomb forward. It’s what the tired brain thinks of first. Bringing on some height up forward puts extra pressure on the oppo defenders

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 11:08pm
takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 11:05pm
You’re a borderline stalker. Not good for you. Isn’t there something interesting on telly you can watch
You could be right. I just like to put things right. Maybe that is why when I read a post and think, what the hell is that poster on about, it is often you!!!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 10:39pm
Poor thinking

Teflon brought Alir

I hope there's a repeat - of finals. Role players killed us last time? Rubbish, but pointless going through it again.
Perhaps I should have said particular role players but I figured you’d get the context. My apologies.

So let’s be clear as it seems you’re intent with blending topics… would you say that Cordy completed the role as you described?

Did he block others allowing our forwards to take uncontested marks in the F50
And bring the ball down in contests and stop their intercepts

Are you happy with that being his role in the team? Do you think a forward that’s 1 kick in 3/4 is a return.?

Actually don’t answer that as I’m sure you do and all I can say is wooooooooow, we are on different wave lengths

You were a Billy Longer fan as well weren’t you.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 11:28pm
Poor thinking

Teflon brought Alir

Perhaps I should have said particular role players but I figured you’d get the context. My apologies.

So let’s be clear as it seems you’re intent with blending topics… would you say that Cordy completed the role as you described?

Are you happy with that being his role in the team? Do you think a forward that’s 1 kick in 3/4 is a return.?

Actually don’t answer that as I’m sure you do and all I can say is wooooooooow, we are on different wave lengths

Over the 7 games, I would say Cordy has performed his role, and has performed plenty of blocks, ball to ground, etc. This game was probably his least effective, but happy with his role in the team when we were desperate for tall options. However looking forward to the return of Camma & King, when we won't need him up there. Done quite well for someone who is primarily a defender. "Returns" are a lot more than just kicks, have a look at any AFL club's stats sheet, far more detail than just simple disposals. Eh, perhaps you better not.

Anyway, you stay on your wavelength, and I'll stay on mine, along with RTB, Lenny, Harves etc.

Billy Longer? Not really a fan, but considered him a far better tap ruckman than Hickey, but got a couple of head knocks and didn't really have the drive to reach his potential. Shame.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 11:55pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 11:28pm
Poor thinking

Teflon brought Alir

Over the 7 games, I would say Cordy has performed his role, and has performed plenty of blocks, ball to ground, etc. This game was probably his least effective, but happy with his role in the team when we were desperate for tall options. However looking forward to the return of Camma & King, when we won't need him up there. Done quite well for someone who is primarily a defender. "Returns" are a lot more than just kicks, have a look at any AFL club's stats sheet, far more detail than just simple disposals. Eh, perhaps you better not.

Anyway, you stay on your wavelength, and I'll stay on mine, along with RTB, Lenny, Harves etc.

Billy Longer? Not really a fan, but considered him a far better tap ruckman than Hickey, but got a couple of head knocks and didn't really have the drive to reach his potential. Shame.
We’ll said
I’m also happy to back the coaching group in on this one over SS arm chair brigade
Now it’s Lyon role players bringing about our downfall (after GFs again I hope…maybe GT needed a role player…) what utter tripe!
Anyway, we all know Cordy will go out once we have height back
He’s done his job
Let’s just hope Membrey can get back on his bike and do his cause he was totally ineffective
Our mids were also beaten up

“Yeah….nah””
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 8:48am In hindsight, probably should have left him on for the last quarter, subbed say NWM who was hobbling, the game had reached desperation stage and Saints were just bombing it in, only for Port to mark.
His height would have been handy.
I tend to agree, but as you say that's hindsight. Perhaps NWM said he was right to go, along with the medicos, despite what it looked like.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If Cordy’s role is so important- and he’s been so effective at it

Why would he be replaced by King and/or Caminiti???

Sounds contradictory!

Are they going to be playing his role of not getting a kick??

Or are they going to replace him because they might actually contribute???

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Apr 2023 12:01pm If Cordy’s role is so important- and he’s been so effective at it

Why would he be replaced by King and/or Caminiti???

Sounds contradictory!

Are they going to be playing his role of not getting a kick??

Or are they going to replace him because they might actually contribute???
Can anyone please for the love of god explain this to Martin?
He’s lost the plot
By the way I think Cordy should be captain

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Please explain to me

If your men always follow orders, and you ordered them to not give a code red - why would he need to be transferred?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 6:22pm

Once again
Allir had 3 marks 2 with Cordy off the ground
Not sure how you know opponents have now suddenly “worked out how we use him” but Lyon was glowing of his output in his presser
Yes Lyon's high praise is a puzzle. I am a actually a huge Lyon fan and believer. I think that in part it is that Lyon sticks up for his players.
And Cordy will have been doing what the coaches instructed him to do. So he gets the coaches TICK for that.

CORDY'S MAIN ROLE- DECOY DEFENSIVE FORWARD

Problem is that the opposition now know his role and in the main just ignored Cordy. An ignored DECOY is not a SUCCESSGUL DECOY.

So lets be a clear, a large part of Cordy's role is to be a decoy and drag defenders away to free up our small forwards. The opposition and are a wake up to this and so our small forwards did not get as free as they have in other games.

His role is also to spoil the ball to crumbers. Virtually none of this.

Teflon wrote: Sat 29 Apr 2023 6:22pm I’m sure he’ll go out when options return but I think the coach might know a little more and unlike others (who suggest Ross is lying) I don’t think that’s right
Allir was part of the PA defense and they, and he, all did well. Allir had a lot of physical impact on our small forwards = you know the exact players that Cordy is meant to have dragged Allir away from, but did not.

Overall Allir was a positive for his team.

Cordy had virtually no positive impact at all for St Kilda.

CORDY'S SECOND ROLE- SECOND RUCK.

It was Cordy in the ruck when PA run riot in the second quarter. This segment of play is the main reason why we lost the game. Cordy's lack of any impact was a key contributor to the easy passage of ball out of the middle

Owen is vastly better option that Cordy in the ruck.

So Cordy is not effective as a defensive forward, and is not effective as a "chop-out" ruck.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 30 Apr 2023 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What we have is a few footy brainiacs (who could have possibly been coming back from the bar with a tray full of pints) …and they saw quite a few footies floating high up into the air and into our forward line in that last quarter. In fact it happened a lot.

They figured that you should be able to score at least a few times if you het the footy in about 15 times. They also figure the more tall footballers in your forward line, the better it would be and the more chance for the tall footballers with the RWB jumpers to be contesting and providing opportunities for our small forwards. Therefore, they conclude that it was a mistake to take Cordy off.

So a few brain surgeons who also follow footy conveniently forgot that Cordy was nearly invisible for the first 3 quarters, but somehow he’d be vital in getting us the win when it mattered. They also conveniently forgot that it was Ross the Boss who made the decision to sub him off because he was not having an impact.

They also conveniently ignore the fact that Ross knew our boys were showing signs of fatigue (remember we had a fast start but they clawed back the lead from a four goal deficit) and Ross knew that a 5 day break would impact his team possibly late in the game.

So most footy followers and even Ross Lyon would be aware that the boys could possibly revert to a long bomb get out strategy in the last quarter when their legs were feeling like lead but even though there was a high likelyhood of this happening…he STILL subbed Cordy out of the game. So these brain surgeons and a few rocket scientists (who also follow footy) want to tell the rest of the world that Cordy COULD have won us the game, if only Ross was as smart as them
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 30 Apr 2023 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.