5 day break

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: 5 day break

! Message from: SAINT-LEE
Bytel was a monster today...he crashed packs, broke through the defense and just gut running. Just finished watching the game, he was flipping brilliant.
Sure the 38 disposals with 84% effeciency was insane but the nine clearances were great, all of them bar 1 was brilliant.

I felt in the past his kicking let him down but hes firing on target this year.

Accepting this IS vfl, I still see him well improved & deserving a game.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Cordy is an interesting one.

If we decide we want more run then him for billings makes sense.

If we want to keep the structure but decide he isn't delivering well enough then why not bring Campbell in and have Marshall spend more time forward?

With that in mind I dont see him as the way to bring Bytel in.

Could mount an argument for Steele forward and Phillipou out for Bytel but feels like trying to force it.

Good teams have players like Bytel who have to wait for an opportunity. It is a long year- he will get one.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

We definitely need support in the ruck next week. Port Ruck Brynn Teakle is young, hungry & on fire...34 hit outs, 14 disposals...he's quick & can ACTUALLY tap to his players advantage ....not at their feet.

ROMO is amazing but as a ruck alone...gotta get help.

So yeah, leave out Bytel if we have to but Campbell for Cordy is a must...the problem with that is we gain a much better ruck in Campbell & lose that strong voice of guidance from Cordy.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

The sports and science blokes have got it all under control. Lots of less minutes in some of our prime movers.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

And we still tore them a new one!

Brilliant!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 9:19pm The sports and science blokes have got it all under control. Lots of less minutes in some of our prime movers.
Good point. TOG stats to back this up:

Philppou 68%
Ross 69%
Butler 70%
Paton 75%
Steele 75%
Crouch 76%
Clark 77%

All of the players I'd consider 'resting' are in this group.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We had the last quarter off while Carlton played kick to kick in our half. No need to rest anyone unless injured. Windhager, Bytel, Campbell, Highmore, Sharman and Billings in wait if needed.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Initial reports are that none of our players were injured last night. So I would not be at all surprised to see exactly the same team named for Friday night. I believe that there is no Sandringham game next weekend, so there is no benefit in swapping Windhager with a Sandringham player in order to give him a full game. Perhaps he could be put into the starting lineup and Philippou could be the sub.

The game against the Kangaroos the following week will perhaps provide an opportunity for a few changes. I would expect to see Billings get a game and possibly Campbell too. Not so sure about Bytel: we already have one central midfielder too many in our top 23.

But, as other posters have suggested, we don't want to muck around too much with form. I don't believe 5 or 6 day breaks pose that much of a problem unless you have several of them over a relatively short period. The extent of bruising is going to be the main issue, and that will be assessed during the week.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
older saint
SS Life Member

Will be interesting to see with short break.

Cordy is the new whipping boy clearly.
I thought he was very influential in the 3rd quarter, kicked a goal and was involved in a number of plays where he provided a physical presence and people want to drop him?

Billings has played 1 game for sandy after half a pre season game. Surely Steele showed can't just come back, and he had played 2 AFL games. Billings needs another game at Sandy to build up the tank. Mids are different to forwards like Membrey

Bytel is clearly next cab off the rank and needs a game soon while in such form - Mattias may need a rest.

Apart from that can't see any other changes - Paton disposal was poor at times but with Webster not there he is safe - Highmore next option there.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:19pm We're not good enough to be resting players. If someone is an injury risk sure but not outright resting.

Organically it will happen just by bringing billings in for someone.

Arguments can be made for Campbell, windhager and Bytel too.

My changes

Out: Cordy, Phillipou
In: Campbell, Billings

Phillipou sub
Windhager back to the twos to get more game time.
Marshall to spend more time forward than previous weeks as Campbell is better ruck than Cordy.

What I think will happen.

Out: Phillipou
In: Billings
Sub:Pou
that might happen, but Billing might need a second game in the 2s

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I am blown away by this thread. Give Highmore a go. Put Billings in. Play Campbell. Drop Phillipou, drop Higgins.Blah blah blah

Thank f*** none of you lot are in charge down there. Billings needs to earn his spot. Like a Bytel 38 possession game. The team is humming along nicely.

Trying to win Mclelland trophy? No. Trying to win as many games as possible. Resting players so they peak for finals? How about we try and qualify for finals first? We’ve played one series in 12 years! Talk about getting too clever.

I take comfort I what T74 said, club have it in hand

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 10:41am I am blown away by this thread. Give Highmore a go. Put Billings in. Play Campbell. Drop Phillipou, drop Higgins.Blah blah blah

Thank f*** none of you lot are in charge down there. Billings needs to earn his spot. Like a Bytel 38 possession game. The team is humming along nicely.

Trying to win Mclelland trophy? No. Trying to win as many games as possible. Resting players so they peak for finals? How about we try and qualify for finals first? We’ve played one series in 12 years! Talk about getting too clever.

Well said.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Moods wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 10:41am I am blown away by this thread. Give Highmore a go. Put Billings in. Play Campbell. Drop Phillipou, drop Higgins.Blah blah blah

Agree with a lot of this.

Except the bit about billings. Membrey came in having performed a lot poorer in the twos and like billings is a top class player at afl level.

Think billings should come in. Perhaps just as the sub but should be in.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

I was wrong about cordy being a potential out. Just watched the replay

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Many have missed the point, it is not to drop players to 'give them a rest', it's to ensure we have a completely fit team to beat Port.

Go back to Round 1 and we had a team of 'fill ins', but they were all cracking fit. Surely this is a lesson that fitness is more important than skill or form.

As some have said the sports science gurus will have this under control, but what's the point of a fan forum if not for speculation.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 10:49am

Well said.
Not well said at all.

Making changes and utilising the list keeps players on their toes… Selection integrity means competition for spots. It’s one of the motivators that a good coach uses

If you have a few bad games in a row, then the guys like Bytel, Billings, Windhager, Webster, Coff etc..are waiting in the wings

We actually look like we have a good enough team to at least play one or two weeks of finals. A few posters have mentioned that we are yet to play ANY of the current bottom 4 teams

We still have 2 games against both Hawthorn and North Melbourne to come and we also play Carlton again :lol: . That’s five wins in my book. Not saying it’s a given, but at some point if we get 11 or 12 wins by round 17 or 18 the selection committee needs to plan for finals

Fear of missing out on an opportunity at the end of the year is real. I’m sure Ross and his assistants talk to players about what they need to acheive to retain their spot and if people don’t think they speak to players like Higgins, Gresham, Cordy etc.. people have rocks in their head.

Does anyone truly believe that Gresham would have been given a game against Port if he had another stinker?

I think Ross will assess how far this team can go this year once we play Brisbane, Melbourne, Geelong and perhaps the two Adelaide clubs who are both flying atm. I feel like he’s going to play the guys who are in top form and he’s going to ensure his very best elite talent are peaking at the right time of the year.

And again…the players are not machines. The emotional toll and physical toll of playing each and every week will eventually catch up on certain players (even the experienced leaders) and impact the team as whole. And again…if you don’t learn from history …you are bound to repeat it

Laurie
Club Player

Please someone tell me why should Billings be in our team ?
Like some on here are suggesting
BOOM BOOM

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Geelong had the first 3 weeks off, so they only have a shortened season to worry about.

24 rounds (minus the bye) of AFL level footy must take its toll on players.

Our style is very physically demanding and I hope the club has it in hand to be at our peak at the right times of the year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 3:13pm Geelong had the first 3 weeks off, so they only have a shortened season to worry about.

24 rounds (minus the bye) of AFL level footy must take its toll on players.

Our style is very physically demanding and I hope the club has it in hand to be at our peak at the right times of the year.
????

How did Geelong have the first 3 rounds off? Because they lost and played poorly so they were absolved from bumps and lumps during a game? Did I miss the sarcasm?

I’m not worried about ‘peaking’ at the right time. That suggests we’re right in the window and are looking at a flag. I just want to win every week. If players are tired/sore then there’s enough coaching tools and resources to assess them. Otherwise you’re good enough to play, you play

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

There was a bit of sting intended, but Geelong and Sydney have historically hit the first 3-5 rounds with low energy, had high training loads in the midseason and cruised into finals in peak form.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Because Billings if a better player than players currently in the team

He played 3qtrs in the VFL

22 possessions
Tackled well
3 goals

In perspective
Membrey had 4 possessions and zero goals in his VFL game

So they don’t put a great deal of stock into that

Billings has had numerous AFL best on grounds
Some players in the team have not even got in the best players

happy feet
Club Player

The most sensible post in this topic. Drop Crouch, you have to be kidding!

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 2:12pm Please someone tell me why should Billings be in our team ?
Like some on here are suggesting
BOOM BOOM
Because imo JB fit is considerably better player than Dan Butler and Jack Higgins, both of whom are in good form and probably undroppable for time being. Dan can still stuff up comparatively easy opportunities, but then he makes mercurial moves from not much. And both seem to have improved their ohead marking. JB is going to have to earn it.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 6:15pm Because Billings if a better player than players currently in the team

He played 3qtrs in the VFL

22 possessions
Tackled well
3 goals

In perspective
Membrey had 4 possessions and zero goals in his VFL game

So they don’t put a great deal of stock into that

Billings has had numerous AFL best on grounds
Some players in the team have not even got in the best players
Look I hope like hell you’re right. Potentially he’s got more ability than Higgins and butler put together. But who makes way for him? He played poorly last year and he’s been injured most of pre season. I don’t reckon 2-3 games in the VFL would hurt him. Members came in because his position structurally is critical. With Caminiti suspended who else would play tall fwd?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 24 Apr 2023 6:43pm Members came in because his position structurally is critical. With Caminiti suspended who else would play tall fwd?
+1