Ross Lyon is a God

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon is a God

Teflon wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 11:52pm
B.M wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:52pm I think Lyon is a far better coach - and has better assistants- who are not getting enough credit

But players win games of footy - coaches are nothing without good ones
Yes yes we saw that with Brett when he allowed players to do their own pre season…
Structure and clarity from coaches, team selection and the right player to position match ups are all BS
I mean Battle should still be on a wing right??
Yeah he can be on the wing next week, then the ruck and then the injury list.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 12:18am
Teflon wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 11:52pm
B.M wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:52pm I think Lyon is a far better coach - and has better assistants- who are not getting enough credit

Yes yes we saw that with Brett when he allowed players to do their own pre season…
Structure and clarity from coaches, team selection and the right player to position match ups are all BS
I mean Battle should still be on a wing right??
Yeah he can be on the wing next week, then the ruck and then the injury list.
Lol agreed …it’s all cattle
Coaches do nothing
Players are in auto pilot

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Good coaches do this :

The Roar

St Kilda out-pressured the Western Bulldogs on Saturday night, a feature which has always been a cornerstone of Lyon-coached teams. They also took the game on with their ball movement, as indicated by the fact they had eight running bounces to the Bulldogs’ two.

The forward pressure from Dan Butler, Jade Gresham and Jack Higgins resulted in 16 tackles inside 50, something the Saints only bettered once last season under Brett Ratten.

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:59pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:52pm
The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:02pm I am so happy with what I have seen so far. There is one particular poster who will be hoping he fails so he can say I told you so but I don’t think we have to worry about that. Ross is going to take this side into the finals

As the season was rolls on You can revisit this and stick it up me if I’m wrong but I feel very safe.

Injuries will fast track our young depth. I have a good feeling about the present and future

Ignore the dickheads who sit on the fence and spruik negativity while big noting after the fact

RTB is the man
You are so feisty this season, so good to see the passion, I remember last year you threw ya toys out of the cot and threatened to stop supporting the Saints so just so happy for you to turn it around and get that passion back.
I think it gets back to what I was saying before about the ability to judge what is eventuating. Last year, I predicted, nothing but doom and gloom and what eventuated?
Unlike you I can see success on the way Get on board or stick with Collingwood
I was put onboard at birth, they don't let you off this train.

Just a correction though Firey, we are alike, the only very small difference is I'm waiting or a much large sample size before I conclude success is on its way.

It's just my agnostic personality.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 9:00am
The Fireman wrote: Mon 27 Mar 2023 8:02pm I am so happy with what I have seen so far. There is one particular poster who will be hoping he fails so he can say I told you so but I don’t think we have to worry about that. Ross is going to take this side into the finals

As the season was rolls on You can revisit this and stick it up me if I’m wrong but I feel very safe.

Injuries will fast track our young depth. I have a good feeling about the present and future

Ignore the dickheads who sit on the fence and spruik negativity while big noting after the fact

RTB is the man
You are so feisty this season, so good to see the passion, I remember last year you threw ya toys out of the cot and threatened to stop supporting the Saints so just so happy for you to turn it around and get that passion back.
I think it gets back to what I was saying before about the ability to judge what is eventuating. Last year, I predicted, nothing but doom and gloom and what eventuated?

Just a correction though Firey, we are alike, the only very small difference is I'm waiting or a much large sample size before I conclude success is on its way.

Vort/Cairns…just retreat quietly here…bide your time….we’ll lose one soon abd you can say
“Where’s Ross’s magic dust”
Till then lay low would be my advice

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

The thing everyone should acknowledge, love him or loathe him, is that Lyon V1 & V2 are chalk and cheese compared to V3, as a good friend commented recently: "who is this funny guy Ross Lyon??"

Both wins this season have been with a game plan that we have not witnessed from St Kilda since the last time Lyon was the coach, except that under the modern rules the game is more open and calls for much swifter movement of the ball.

Remember too that in 2021/22 we all lamented the overall dreadful skill levels of the players which so far has been an element that appears to have improved a hell of a lot!

It is to the immense credit of everyone, coaches and players (young and old) that this has worked out incredibly well so far.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 11:39am
Vortex wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 9:00am

RTB is the man

Vort/Cairns…just retreat quietly here…bide your time….we’ll lose one soon abd you can say
“Where’s Ross’s magic dust”
Till then lay low would be my advice
Here's a fun fact, I have never hated a coach or demanded one be sacked.

Although with the benefit of hindsight something was up with Scott Watters. The poor bugger was on a hiding to nothing after taking over from the Lyon era and that list.

But can't see my view changing anytime soon that a coach is nothing without a quality list.

Here's another fun fact, this whole 150 game celebration is making me cringe and makes me wonder when will we learn, Essendon will have our 150 celebratory logo on the change room walls before the game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 12:56pm The thing everyone should acknowledge, love him or loathe him, is that Lyon V1 & V2 are chalk and cheese compared to V3, as a good friend commented recently: "who is this funny guy Ross Lyon??"

Both wins this season have been with a game plan that we have not witnessed from St Kilda since the last time Lyon was the coach, except that under the modern rules the game is more open and calls for much swifter movement of the ball.

Remember too that in 2021/22 we all lamented the overall dreadful skill levels of the players which so far has been an element that appears to have improved a hell of a lot!

It is to the immense credit of everyone, coaches and players (young and old) that this has worked out incredibly well so far.....
2 bloody games...and against sides who are all over the shop.

I want to be smoking what you're on Sanctorum.

I'm waiting for a much bigger sample size

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Greetings from the Humble Pie Cafe colleagues. I believe I posted something along the lines of "I wouldn't have Lyon within a bulls roar of my club" when the possibility was mooted of Lyon returning to the Saints. I certainly resented how he left us and was letting this influence my thinking. However, when you're part of a club, then it doesn't really matter who the head coach is, as the whole object of the exercise is to be loyal to the CLUB... without conditions. I wasn't overjoyed to see RL back at the Saints, but as a club member of 23 years (and a follower for 33 years) I was prepared to give the guy my backing once he was appointed. I'm very happy to see that things have thus far worked out well both for Ross and we supporters.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 2:26pm Greetings from the Humble Pie Cafe colleagues. I believe I posted something along the lines of "I wouldn't have Lyon within a bulls roar of my club" when the possibility was mooted of Lyon returning to the Saints. I certainly resented how he left us and was letting this influence my thinking. However, when you're part of a club, then it doesn't really matter who the head coach is, as the whole object of the exercise is to be loyal to the CLUB... without conditions. I wasn't overjoyed to see RL back at the Saints, but as a club member of 23 years (and a follower for 33 years) I was prepared to give the guy my backing once he was appointed. I'm very happy to see that things have thus far worked out well both for Ross and we supporters.
Well said mate. 8-) 8-)

There are one or two of us who have similar feelings, I would think.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

haha @agnostic

no worries
u'll know all about it when u wake up freshly dead

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Round1 : we won the Ross Lyon Cup
Round 2 : we won the Zaine Cordy Cup

thats not a bad start for our new shelving

Round 3 : we will win the .... Milne/Lovett ladies appreciation Trophy.

:D
luckily , we have lots of shelving available

[personally i'd go straight to the Smashed the Druggies Cup]
Last edited by asiu on Wed 29 Mar 2023 12:40am, edited 1 time in total.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The "Flying Higher" Cup or maybe the "Nick Hind" Cup

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Milne/Lovett ladies appreciation trophy.

markp
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 5:00pm Round1 : we won the Ross Lyon Cup
Round 2 : we won the Zaine Cordy Cup

thats not a bad start for our new shelving

Round 3 : we will win the .... (help me)

[personally i'd go straight to the Smashed the Druggies Cup]

The mullet medal.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 28 Mar 2023 12:56pm The thing everyone should acknowledge, love him or loathe him, is that Lyon V1 & V2 are chalk and cheese compared to V3, as a good friend commented recently: "who is this funny guy Ross Lyon??"

It is early days I too have liked what I’ve see.
If I take my Ross love off for a sec …
We’ll get a better read when we are challenged for longer
What I did like was when Dogs got on a roll we didn’t look disorganised - we didn’t try handball backwards or to players standing still
It’s odd but I haven’t felt this calm since he last coached- sure we’ll lose games but the plan won’t fall to bits
I also think he’s genuinely tried to evolve - 90+ points against Dogs…with makeshift forwards….that’s not all defensive
I think what Lyon does well is what great leaders do well - he’s simplified it for the players
Here is your role
Here is level expected each week
Do that you play
Don’t you don’t
None of this “we will never drop Brad Hill” rubbish

“Yeah….nah””
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There's people out there who reckon coaching doesn't matter very much. That it's all down to the players...

Well, today you saw the difference between a sensational game plan with full player-buy in, plus terrific in-game coaching moves, and ratty game-plan which relies totally on individuals.

Ross Lyon is executing some extraordinary things with this group of players. We are blessed to have this leader in charge of our football club.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

His (and the assistants) coaching ability is undeniable at this point.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:10pm His (and the assistants) coaching ability is undeniable at this point.
Some will want a bigger “sample size “. :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:10pm His (and the assistants) coaching ability is undeniable at this point.
As a unit, they're coaching superbly - both in strategy (the overall game plan) and tactically (in-game moves).

Couldn't be happier. Even in our solitary loss, I thought they did a miracle job of keeping us close to the best team in the competition.

Ross Lyon is doing a great job of coaching, organising, inspiring and uniting. It's a masterclass in leadership.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Everton

Are you saying we don’t have good players?

Agreed, our system is very good but it was tested today in the first half - poor kicking from the blues helped us?

I think our coaching group is very good

I also think
Marshall, Steele, Ross, Sinclair, Wilkie, Crouch etc
Are an experienced core group with plenty of ability

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'm looking forward to seeing his development with us the second time around.

He's showing maturity and a willingness to learn and grow.

:mrgreen:

:mrgreen: 8-)

In all seriousness, he is a very good coach and I truly think his leadership skills are even better now that he's 56 or 57 or whatever age he is
Last edited by Scollop on Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 23 Apr 2023 8:15pm Everton

Are you saying we don’t have good players?

Agreed, our system is very good but it was tested today in the first half - poor kicking from the blues helped us?

I think our coaching group is very good

I also think
Marshall, Steele, Ross, Sinclair, Wilkie, Crouch etc
Are an experienced core group with plenty of ability
Swap coaches boxes, who do u think wins?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

My only criticism is that don’t think they’ve nailed the sub that well as yet and it’s frustrating watching Bytel and Windy to a lesser degree not get enough game time.

Bytel should have played ahead of Steele today IMO and I’m still not thrilled that Cordy is a lock the way he is.

Am not completely sold on this let the opposition backs get heaps of ball approach. Working so far but I’m not sold completely

All minor stuff… certainly happy overall but I’m keeping an eye on it

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

To be fair, last year round 6 we were 5 wins 1 loss, 130%.

What happened after the Bye was a massive turn for the club, and we clearly needed to react.