Dougal Howard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Dougal Howard

Watching the Collingwood game replay

Howard appears to be playing a closer checking role this year compared to the last 2 years.

Wilkie is doing more of the zone off and come in as third marker.

This works much better as Wilkiie is much better at judging the flight of the footy.

Howard starting to look like the full back we want him to be. Looks like RTB and co have had a very candid conversation about his strengths and deficiencies.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dougal Howard

He’s been passed by Wilkie and Battle now, but that means our backline is looking very good.

Just needs to get rid of some of his brain fades and poor efforts and we’ll be in an excellent position defensively.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

It's awesome how they took kick-ins off him (me and several others on here, have been very vocal about this) and he doesn't seem to have spat the dummy- yet.
Take a job off anyone, and it can hurt their pride.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Templar
Club Player

Terrific contested mark in the dying minute on Sunday almost pinched a draw on the back of that effort.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I think he’s been better this year. Ie not as many stuff ups.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Fri 21 Apr 2023 12:41am Terrific contested mark in the dying minute on Sunday almost pinched a draw on the back of that effort.
It was the last mark of the game and was a double grabber, not a clean mark.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who was his opponent?

Templar
Club Player

Well I thought it was a terrific mark at that time of the game in what appeared to be greasy conditions. I could try and be dour and more clinical because admittedly I can get over excited watching the Saints especially in a clincher like that. I, and I would suggest a couple others, were delighted when he took that mark. Thought it was strong given the circumstances.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Banger9798
SS Life Member

It was a terrific grab , in a pack, and kicked it to the perfect spot to give us a chance to draw.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Sanctorum
Club Player

In recent weeks I have been critical of Dougal Howard and questioned his effectiveness as St Kilda's full-back.

This morning a mate sent me the following assessment of Howard which someone posted on Facebook (I'm on Fb but don't use it), he lists stats in light of which I gladly revise my opinons :

"Unsung Saint - Dougal Howard

Ok, I hear ya, we know about Dougal, we know what he brings. He's our 199cm key defender and Cal Wilkie's partner in crime in our backline. Unsung may not be the word exactly, but maybe a bit maligned amongst us supporters at times. Also, I've taken some feedback onboard and will write this in an easier to take in way. Let's begin!

So far this year:
Let's remember he's a fullback when looking at these numbers. He averages 14.6 disposals per game this year which is above average for the AFL. He's above average in both handballs and kicks there. More importantly, he's averaging exactly 7 spoils per match which is also abover average across the AFL. He's below average for intercept marks for the AFL at 1.4 per game, but just think, he's often times in the positions where the ball is kicked to a bunch of opposition forwards where Howard has to kill the ball, it's far too risky to try and mark the ball in those situations so his spoiling is really effective. His teammates know this and love him for it.

Why we should show Dougs more love:
This guy is super passionate and plays with his heart on his sleeve. He's become a bit of a general in the backline. Since coming to us, he's definitely worked on his disposal quality. Guess what? With those 14.6 disposals per game, he's going at 93% disposal efficiency. Paint it how you will, that's brilliant from him and shows how hard he's worked on that. Remember when Dougal was injured last year? I think in that time, we really realized just how much we missed him. Tom Highmore did his level best and played really well for someone who's probably a lockdown defender as such, he's more an intercepting halfback. But, the hole that was left with Dougal being injured is hard to fill, in fact, it was impossible to fill completely last year.

Where can he improve?:
Personally, I think this is a criticism for a few players, but shepherding!! I think it was against Freo (could be wrong) where Jimmy Webster got crunched as he took possesion of the ball deep in our backline which resulted in a Freo goal. A simple block there would've at least given Jimmy some time to get a clearing kick away. Dougal is generally not going to be that running receiver type of player such as a Sinclair, Hill or even Butler and Byrnes, so as we learn in junior footy, the best way to then contribute is to protect that running ball carrier, especially in the backline when pressure is coming. In turn, those with the ball will have those extra couple of seconds or so to make better decisions and dispose of the ball cleaner and more effectively.
Another possible chance to maybe add another feather into his bow is to maybe try and up his tackling numbers. So far, he sits at 0.4 tackles per game this year which is below average. He doesn't necessarily have to be at Jack Steele level with his number of tackles, but I'd be encouraging him to maybe try and hit that 1 to 2 tackles per game where possible. Again, I know he's a key back and his wheelhouse is killing the contests when we're defending, but I feel like it could really make our defence even harder to score against just by aiming for those numbers in tackles, at least in my opinion.

In summary:
Most of us I'm sure would agree that seeing Dougal Howard's name on the team sheet makes us feel far and away better than if he's not there. I think he's a terrific defender that plays so well week in, week out without alot of kudos. And with Ross Lyon coaching, I reckon he'll go to the next level. We have Carlton this week and if Dougal wasn't playing, that Curnow and McKay combination becomes an even more daunting proposition. Go well, Dougal! I'm
🔴⚪⚫💪

NB: I intentionally have not mentioned the author of this post.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think Dougs is playing his best footy to date this season. His defensive work has been really solid and clangers have been minimal. With him playing more of a close checking lockdown role, Wilkie and Battle have thrived with more intercepts and rebound. He's a very important member of the team right now.

stkfc1
Club Player

If been impressed with Howard so far this season. Playing to his strengths and haven noticed too many stuff ups. His field kicking has been excellent and he's kicking forward alot more although that's more the system than the player but he's doing it well..

Also we seem to be able to keep Wilkie free and the Wall of Wilkie has become a thing now. I also love how calm and clever Battle has become. Never looks flustered and always making good decisions now. We are the number #1 backline in the league so kudos to the boys. Stocker and NWM have also been amazing. Webster also. Pressure on Paton as only weak link ATM. If he doesn't have a good game this week then Highmore will be a good replacement.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote: Fri 21 Apr 2023 4:34pm If been impressed with Howard so far this season. Playing to his strengths and haven noticed too many stuff ups. His field kicking has been excellent and he's kicking forward alot more although that's more the system than the player but he's doing it well..

Also we seem to be able to keep Wilkie free and the Wall of Wilkie has become a thing now. I also love how calm and clever Battle has become. Never looks flustered and always making good decisions now. We are the number #1 backline in the league so kudos to the boys. Stocker and NWM have also been amazing. Webster also. Pressure on Paton as only weak link ATM. If he doesn't have a good game this week then Highmore will be a good replacement.
Agree our defence has been enormous and with the rest of the side helping out it has been a well oiled machine. Its amazing what a simple system does for players and they fully understand their roles and expectations each week. Howard is the perfect example, last year his kicking was unreliable, but this year he has been terrific and is even biting off the occasional inside kick.

For me I would like to see him stick more marks, he is getting his hands to plently if he can hold them he will go to another level.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 21 Apr 2023 10:35am Who was his opponent?
Kelvin Templeton.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 21 Apr 2023 11:30pm
B.M wrote: Fri 21 Apr 2023 10:35am Who was his opponent?
Kelvin Templeton.
That's a fkn great answer 😂