Concussion No. 10 for Paddy - please no more!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Re: Concussion No. 10 for Paddy - please no more!

You can not sign away your rights under the law. In the event that a contract has a clause in it that removes an individuals rights the clause is invalidated or possibly even the whole contract can be.

Crossy66
Club Player

Very sad. Feels like watching a train wreck in progress. I can't understand anyone close to paddy that would encourage him to go on. Wtf is Garry Lyon thinking?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:45pm Very sad. Feels like watching a train wreck in progress. I can't understand anyone close to paddy that would encourage him to go on. Wtf is Garry Lyon thinking?
What's Garry Lyon got to do with it?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:45pm Very sad. Feels like watching a train wreck in progress. I can't understand anyone close to paddy that would encourage him to go on. Wtf is Garry Lyon thinking?
Well, Lyon is closer to him than most but I also don't know what he was thinking.

I have changed my mind about Paddy playing as we all are more aware of the possible consequences of concussion since Spud's and Tuck's suicides.

Crossy66
Club Player

Moods wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 12:51pm
Fox footy- Lyon suggesting we shouldn't be so quick to retire Paddy because of the latest head knock. Joey Montagna talked about his concern for a 50 year old paddy based on his experience with former team mates.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 1:05pm
Fox footy- Lyon suggesting we shouldn't be so quick to retire Paddy because of the latest head knock. Joey Montagna talked about his concern for a 50 year old paddy based on his experience with former team mates.
That's horrendously irresponsible for someone who isn't prone to hyperbole. I couldn't imagine one person connected to the game who saw those images of Paddy becoming concussed on the weekend, not thinking it's time to give it away.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I saw the footage of the lad being led off... horrendous stuff :cry: I think the Saints tried to do the right thing by Paddy in delisting him. Whoever at Sydney thought it was a good idea to recruit him should be horsewhipped.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 1:55pm
That's horrendously irresponsible for someone who isn't prone to hyperbole. I couldn't imagine one person connected to the game who saw those images of Paddy becoming concussed on the weekend, not thinking it's time to give it away.
Lyons partner is the ex Mrs Brownless, whose daughter was/is dating Paddy.

Crossy66
Club Player

Moods wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 1:55pm
It's really bewildering that anyone connected to his family would suggest he go on. He's 27, managed to eek out 62 games. Let's say he came back - maybe 2 years of footy versus 60 years of impairment. Why take that risk with him. Definately needs good people around him to save him from himself.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Serious question, greater medical minds than my first aid qualified bonce may be able to enlighten me???

I was at the SCG last year for our annual (bi-annual) flogging and those bright, flashing, neon lights compounded with impromptu blasts of bass laden "doof doof" was giving myself and others the foundation of a headache.

For a player with a history of concussion or a player who is being assessed for a concussion, that kind of environment must not be ideal. Is that reasonable?

Now all our grounds are like this, particularly the night games, semi great for spectators but is it ideal for those working there, in particular, the players?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 10 Apr 2023 3:56pm Serious question, greater medical minds than my first aid qualified bonce may be able to enlighten me???

I was at the SCG last year for our annual (bi-annual) flogging and those bright, flashing, neon lights compounded with impromptu blasts of bass laden "doof doof" was giving myself and others the foundation of a headache.

For a player with a history of concussion or a player who is being assessed for a concussion, that kind of environment must not be ideal. Is that reasonable?

Now all our grounds are like this, particularly the night games, semi great for spectators but is it ideal for those working there, in particular, the players?
No, you are right. Apart from the headache, it also gives me the s***s.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Of it were a Grand Prix driver or a boxer- would there be this kind of sentiment?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

asiu wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 7:09pm because Paddy chooses to play
and desires to play

(and no doubt signed away his right to sue for damages)

good luck to him
'n thank the goddess we are not the full nanny state yet

I agree...cant wait to see him play on...then start getting oddly mentally ill...then out of nowhere...suicide. then we can have a game day for him or even name a building....CTE is all in your head...no need to worry.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

paddy ... knows the risks

better than most
better than us lot

i dunno why he chooses to play
but
i'll support his choice to play

he's more at risk from the do gooders
with their mantras of doom + gloom

morphic resonance 101.a

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
amusingname
Club Player

Waivers may cover some liability in the short term if something happens, but will mean pretty much nothing in the grand scheme of things if down the track more problems develop.

I spoke to a doctor friend who (pre covid cutbacks) was working with the AFL on concussion studies and tracking about Paddy when he came back last year. Their opinion was that if they were the club doctor, they would feel very uncomfortable having him playing, mainly because even though he has passed all the tests and all the scans show that he is fine, there is clearly something that cant be diagnosed which makes him more likely to suffer one than others. Unfortunately he may never find out why. It isn't about how he plays or something that can be corrected, it seems to just be his lot in life.

I suspect the weight of evidence may now be enough to convince him that it is not worth it anymore. Apparently was still symptomatic yesterday too.