Jack Higgins article today's HS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

Jack Higgins article today's HS

Jack Higgins on recovering from a brain bleed and playing for the club he barracked for as a kid

Jack Higgins is a ball of energy on the football field, but a health scare brought him ‘really down’ in a tough time. He opens up on his comeback.
Lauren Wood

'Feel good story' the rise of the Saints

Jack Higgins hasn’t had many “pinch me” moments.

His first AFL game, maybe.

But last Saturday night’s victory over Essendon, four goals, the club’s 150th-year celebrations, the MCG, his own form – it just about had it all.

There was the lifelong-Saints-supporter element for the cheeky goalsneak – collar popped.

But the 24-year-old knows there’s another very personal layer to what he is achieving with the team that sits 3-0 and on top of the ladder.

In 2019, then a Tiger, Higgins was suffering headaches during and after games, his vision blurred.

An MRI after a particularly bad episode led him down a “scary” road of fears he may never play football – and maybe even walk – again.

Two brain surgeries followed after scans revealed a bleed. As Higgins endured some “hairy moments” in the intensive care unit of St Vincent’s Hospital he considered what life might look like.

“I never thought I would play again,” he said this week.

“Even just getting back for one AFL game would have been amazing, but I’m really proud of myself just with how I got back and how I fought through a few demons and all that other stuff to get back and play some AFL footy.

“I was struggling there for a bit, with my health. Not that I had mental problems, but I was really down sometimes.”

It had always been footy for Higgins – a lifelong St Kilda supporter.

The first surgery left Higgins struggling to read or watch television, his vision still suffered.

The second resulted in a 25cm scar down the left of Higgins’ head. He laughs now that he regales holiday-makers with tales of great white shark attacks and other humour.

“You’ve got to look at it like that (with a laugh), don’t you?,” he said, grinning.

He spent almost three weeks in ICU.

“It was really scary … I cherish (that period) deeply – I’m a better person for all that time,” Higgins said.

“But it’s really weird, because I never thought I’d be playing again. I remember mum and dad just breaking down, when I was in hospital and ICU, it was pretty heavy.

“People were checking me every five minutes, and then it was a pretty scary time.

“When I had surgery, I couldn’t see out of my right eye. I had such blurry vision. I felt like I was drunk the whole time – obviously I was heavily medicated, too. The surgeons and doctors were trying all these different tablets.

“I remember thinking to myself, when I was in ICU and I had two surgeries, ‘Geez, I’m going to get back to play round 1 next year (in 2020)’.”

It was round 2, in the end – with no crowd. The feat wasn’t lost on him, but he wouldn’t have opposed a big reception. Who would?

Stadium lights messed with him, and he’d “see little sparkles” when he closed his eyes. But Higgins said he knew he had to endure – “I don’t want to be packing boxes”.

Returning to football life in the 2020 hub with Richmond was tough and his new start at St Kilda began with a trade at the end of that season.

“It’s been a good experience, and bad,” Higgins said of the health issues.

“But I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy.”

There’s twice-daily tablets these days, after he suffered seizures in the wake of his surgeries, with Higgins’ medical team having “got me on the good stuff”.

“When I get a fresh haircut, you really see the scar,” he said.

“I think I’ve got like 20 bolts in my head or something like that. Which is pretty cool. Got mad stitches. That’s going to live with me for the rest of my life.”

It’s changed him. How couldn’t it?

“I felt like I was a bit selfish,” he said. “The surgery really helped to open me up to everything else in the world and what a lot of other people go through.”

A tearful Higgins once made a handy $50 off St Kilda.

Now, he’s part of the unconventional uprising.

The 24-year-old bled red, white and black as a kid.

Jack Higgins is at home at St Kilda. Picture: Rebecca Michael.
Jack Higgins is at home at St Kilda. Picture: Rebecca Michael.
If you revisit vision from the final quarter of the 2009 preliminary final between St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs, Higgins is front and square celebrating a Nick Riewoldt goal alongside his parents in a night at the ’G after a day at primary school.

“I used to go to every game at home, dad and mum and I would normally go,” Higgins said.

“We were there when they got pumped by Essendon (by 86 points in 2000), when they won 19 in a row, and I remember when I was five or six, crying after St Kilda got rolled against Port Adelaide in Adelaide.

“And dad gave me $50 to cheer me up.”

A handy payday off the back of a loss, he laughed, but such was the rollercoaster for St Kilda supporters – from gloom to grand finals and back again is a journey Higgins knows well.

“I’ve lived every up and down – went to the grand finals (in 2009 and 2010),” he said.

“It’s been good times and bad times.”

New coach Ross Lyon’s first few sessions brought back memories of those years for Higgins, who with fellow former Tigers offsider Dan Butler headed the Saints’ attack on Essendon last Saturday with the team’s forward setup having been ravaged by injuries.

There’s a long road ahead – Higgins knows that.

But that 10-year-old kid who watched on in the team’s most recent tilts at the title is still in there, and to be part of the team that he hopes could deliver the club’s second-ever premiership?

“It’d be pretty awesome,” he said.

“It is what it is – if we keep playing the footy we keep putting forward, we’ll be a good chance. But there’s a long way to go.”

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Higgins article today's HS

It would be amazing if he could be a part of the next Premiership team

There will be so many 'feel good' stories when the Cup comes home!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

wow did not know all that.

much respect for him now

Vazelos
Club Player

How can you not love this story people think professional sport is glamorous look what this kid has gone through. To play again after that brain trauma is just mind boggling.
4 goals last week 5 goals last night I’m so happy for this kid.
I have more of a soft spot for players that supported us as kids.
Higgins, King, Sinclair, Stocker and Jones I know are Saints supporters on our current list there may be more.
Well done Jack so happy for you 🟥⬛️⬜️

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 09 Apr 2023 9:36am To play again after that brain trauma is just mind boggling.
:D

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintkid
Club Player

Higgins has a terrific nature and you can see how much this game and the club means to him. He deserves to have not only a great career after what he's been through but I would also be totally stoked for him if he ends up being part of the team that finally brings home that elusive second premiership.
He grew up loving Milney as his favourite player and they both have quirky personalities. :)
Last edited by saintkid on Sun 09 Apr 2023 11:23am, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Living the dream and good on him

stkfc1
Club Player

Back to his best last night. Got his swagger back.
Still forget how young he is. Could be one of our best small forwards to play in Saints colours.