Hunter Clark

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hunter Clark

He won't leave if we play finals this season.
And even if we end up missing out, I think if his form continues in this same trajectory, it would be highly unlikely he'd go to North.
Some of their older players will be retiring at the end of the season and they will be where Hawthorn are now.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Rubyjo
Club Player

Has been very important for us this year very creative and hunting the ball well.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hunter Ckark

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 10:27pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 8:53pm 66% Ground time against the Dons - discuss.
A common theme with him this year.

Similar game time to what Dunstan under Richo and Ratts used to get and Luke Ball under Lyon.

I guess my only concern would be if it's for the same reason i.e. unable to spread on defense

Hopefully not as he appears to be building his form nicely
Quite a few ppl remarked in the preseason that his fitness wasn’t crash hot.

I wonder with all the injury time he missed if the plan is to build him up over the course of the season and part of that includes less match time but higher intensity work when he is out there. Might also be a way of protecting him a bit by reducing the chances of further collision injuries.

That’s my running theory. I expect it will pick up later in the season

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Tue 04 Apr 2023 10:30pm He won't leave if we play finals this season.
And even if we end up missing out, I think if his form continues in this same trajectory, it would be highly unlikely he'd go to North.
Some of their older players will be retiring at the end of the season and they will be where Hawthorn are now.
His team mate Nas signing today is a great sign

I think he’ll stay

Banger9798
SS Life Member

RTB will retain him on the list.
Big mistake by North not to trade for him last year.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 05 Apr 2023 8:59am RTB will retain him on the list.
Big mistake by North not to trade for him last year.
And if they had of traded we would have had pick 3, maybe not taken Pou. We kept Hunter and added Pou. Good outcome.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hunter wasn't looking to be traded, it was all on the saints, Gallagher maybe.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Clark is playing well for a B grader. He is almost playing A grade football for nearly 2/3 of a game.

I believe the coaches would he happy with his progress.
He will be worth a lot more at the end of this year than he was last year.
He has a bit of work to do but if he stays he will be vulnerable to Billings and Mackenzie unless he takes his current game to the next level. He will also have Hotton, Jones and perhaps Peris pushing him.
Will be interesting to see how he pans out.
Should sign soon, has he signed?

Rubyjo
Club Player

Clark does things I see know one else do ..especially watching the replays you see the things you miss live amazing skills. Doesn't mean someone else taking his spot won't be as effective . I feel he is building every game . He is a point of difference .

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I would be keeping the powder dry on Clark, I am just not sold he has the drive to become an elite footballer?

Although he is doing ok in the possession stakes, he is still yet to play anymore than 66% game time this year. Plus at times even then he still looks like he is running up and down in the one spot. I dont know what sought of a contract $$$ he is on, but if we could get a player like Darcy Parish as a free agent on similiar coin, I would be releasing Clark as a trade option. I just dont see him ever having the running capacities to reach the required levels and believe the club would benefit more from moving him on whilst he has value.

Again depending on us either targetting a midfield FA or trading out Hunter to get draft capital. If not he stays on an incentive based contract to give him the required motivation.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Thu 06 Apr 2023 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 6:14pm I would be keeping the powder dry on Clark. Although he is doing ok in the possession stakes, he is still yet to play anymore than 66% game time this year. At times he looks like he is running up and down in the one spot. I dont know what sought of a contract $$$ he is on, but if we could get a player like Darcy Parish as a free agent on similiar coin, I would be releasing Clark as a trade option. I just dont see him having the running capacities or fitness to reach the elite levels and believe the club would benefit from moving him on whilst he has value.
I doubt Parish will leave Essendon..even if he did we would likely have to pay way overs.
No hurry with Clark, need to take into account the severity of his injuries & cut him some slack.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 6:21pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 6:14pm I would be keeping the powder dry on Clark. Although he is doing ok in the possession stakes, he is still yet to play anymore than 66% game time this year. At times he looks like he is running up and down in the one spot. I dont know what sought of a contract $$$ he is on, but if we could get a player like Darcy Parish as a free agent on similiar coin, I would be releasing Clark as a trade option. I just dont see him having the running capacities or fitness to reach the elite levels and believe the club would benefit from moving him on whilst he has value.
I doubt Parish will leave Essendon..even if he did we would likely have to pay way overs.
No hurry with Clark, need to take into account the severity of his injuries & cut him some slack.
Agreed, but I honestly don't think he has the drive to want to get the best out of himself. He's had several years at the club prior to the injuries and nothing had changed, I dont believe he will now. I know intelligence is not a guide to the footballer, but have a listen to his media interviews, the kid is as dumb a professional footballer as I have ever heard.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think we’ll have a pretty good idea of what’s what with Clark by the bye.

He’ll either have elevated his fitness and most likely therefore his game/performance… in which case a new contract is looking good
Or
Stagnated at the same level opening up trade speculation
Or
Long term injury in which case the question will be asked about whether or not he can stay on the path

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 6:27pm
Agreed, but I honestly don't think he has the drive to want to get the best out of himself. He's had several years at the club prior to the injuries and nothing had changed, I dont believe he will now. I know intelligence is not a guide to the footballer, but have a listen to his media interviews, the kid is as dumb a professional footballer as I have ever heard.
I presume you are talking about Clark and therefore I find your comments way of the mark.

I can't understand why certain posters can't just enjoy watching Clark and Gresham and our current success but feel the need to caste shade on these young players

To me, they (posters) are just highlighting their ignorance and lack of footy nous, besides being way of the mark with their comments.

Sorry IP, but unless you are a saints coach, you would have no f****** knowledge about the level of Clark's drive. He is after all an accomplished AFL footballer who has had a couple of severe injuries but has come back to play a significant role in our three wins as has Gresh.

My advice is just enjoy our current successes and give the kids a break.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 06 Apr 2023 7:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Love watching Clark should only get better .

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 7:30pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 6:14pm ....

I can't understand why certain posters can't just enjoy watching Clark and Gresham and our current success but feel the need to caste shade on these young players

This is powerful rhetoric.
I am taking note.

Don't understand....(creates uncertainty and emotional tension, a responsibility for the reader to make things more clear in future)
Certain posters ...(...adds vague and hazy fear..could it be me..oh no!)
But the killer punch is..
can't just enjoy (a,b,c) VS need to ('need to' suggests desperation and lack of control) do (x,y,z)

So in summary,

these posters.. (you know who you are!)

In a black and white frame there are only tywo choices in life. (a,b,c) OR (x,y,z)

i.e. you can't enjoy the Saints success AND post a query about the fitness or performance of players. You do either one OR the other. And being YOU, you can't BUT choose, due to your NEEDS , the (x,y,z) option, thereby admitting you cannot take (a,b,c) eg. you cannot be enjoying the Saints success, if you are casting a critical eye on the team.

It is good.

Lawyer stuff.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I presume you are talking about Clark and therefore I find your comments way of the mark. I can't understand why certain posters can't just enjoy watching Clark and Gresham and our current success but feel the need to caste shade on these young playersTo me, they (posters) are just highlighting their ignorance and lack of footy nous, besides being way of the mark with their comments.
Sorry IP, but unless you are a saints coach, you would have no f****** knowledge about the level of Clark's drive. He is after all an accomplished AFL footballer who has had a couple of severe injuries but has come back to play a significant role in our three wins as has Gresh.

I understand you dont like posters being critical of players, but sometimes what is said is just the reality. He has played some reasonable footy this year and I dont dislike the kid. I am just a realist and want the best for the club and if that means sometimes we have to make tough calls then so be it. Its quite blatant that Clark wouldnt have been put up for trade at the end of last year if he was driven and the club believed he would reach A grade levels.

IMO if we had a full list available he would be playing VFL this season. He has been given a number of years to get himself going and the fact that he still cant play more than 66% game time is pretty damning. How many top level midfielders dont play 80% or more? Even when he was playing across the half back he struggled to stay with his opponents.

I really hope Clark has a break out year, but if Im pragmatic I cant see it and believe if we get the right offer he will be gone in seasons end.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If you can’t run as a mid

You don’t last in Ross coached teams

He is a shithouse runner

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 8:01pm
I presume you are talking about Clark and therefore I find your comments way of the mark. I can't understand why certain posters can't just enjoy watching Clark and Gresham and our current success but feel the need to caste shade on these young playersTo me, they (posters) are just highlighting their ignorance and lack of footy nous, besides being way of the mark with their comments.

I understand you dont like posters being critical of players, but sometimes what is said is just the reality. He has played some reasonable footy this year and I dont dislike the kid. I am just a realist and want the best for the club and if that means sometimes we have to make tough calls then so be it. Its quite blatant that Clark wouldnt have been put up for trade at the end of last year if he was driven and the club believed he would reach A grade levels.

IMO if we had a full list available he would be playing VFL this season. He has been given a number of years to get himself going and the fact that he still cant play more than 66% game time is pretty damning. How many top level midfielders dont play 80% or more? Even when he was playing across the half back he struggled to stay with his opponents.

I really hope Clark has a break out year, but if Im pragmatic I cant see it and believe if we get the right offer he will be gone in seasons end.
" We have to make tough calls."

What a load of horse manure. You are not a club coach so you don't have to do anything. Talk about posters being up themselves.

Why don't you just enjoy watching these young players without making up stuff about them in your ignorance. Because that ignorance if f****** obvious to me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 8:51pm If you can’t run as a mid

You don’t last in Ross coached teams

He is a shithouse runner
We will see.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

My hope is that he has a dip and gets fitter

Because he can play … outside of his sloppy and lazy left foot kicking

Killa
Club Player

And BM, YOU are just shithouse

Full stop

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The one thing I know about Hunter is that he always seems to have an extra half second, an extra half metre when he gets the ball in tight. If he makes the most of that, he will be a gun.

Rubyjo
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 7:57pm

I am taking note.

Don't understand....(creates uncertainty and emotional tension, a responsibility for the reader to make things more clear in future)
can't just enjoy (a,b,c) VS need to ('need to' suggests desperation and lack of control) do (x,y,z)

So in summary,

In a black and white frame there are only tywo choices in life. (a,b,c) OR (x,y,z)

i.e. you can't enjoy the Saints success AND post a query about the fitness or performance of players. You do either one OR the other. And being YOU, you can't BUT choose, due to your NEEDS , the (x,y,z) option, thereby admitting you cannot take (a,b,c) eg. you cannot be enjoying the Saints success, if you are casting a critical eye on the team.

It is good.

Lawyer stuff.
Jeeze ..go rub one out . Release the tension.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rubyjo wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 10:30pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 06 Apr 2023 7:57pm

I am taking note.

So in summary,

It is good.

Lawyer stuff.
Jeeze ..go rub one out . Release the tension.
:wink: :wink: 8-)