What's with all the punching down in the media?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Templar
Club Player

Re: What's with all the punching down in the media?

Just wait until new forward coach and footy dept overseer are officially named.

And of course the result of the review.

Not sure how the timing of these three things work given that you'd think they are co-dependent.

If it turns into a big fizzle there is always the Saintsational Xmas party to look forward to!

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 4:36pm
evertonfc wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 12:19pm At St Kilda, we definitely don't have the best players. And with our current coach, we certainly don't have the best game plan. And with our wider football department, we definitely don't have the best culture.
I'd be interested to know, with our current playing list, what our game plan should be?
Personally, I think it’s no debate - we should be a high frontal pressure team.

We lack the skill to execute the Geelong or Melbourne (all different but related) style of precision ball movement. I absolutely love that style but I think our inability to hit targets on transition (especially between the arcs) paralyses us. We get picked off by interceptors or simply turn it over.

With that in mind, I think we’ve shown we can be a pressure team. We play our best footy when we’re turning up the pressure dial and playing footy that is reliant on defensive acts.

I think the Hardwick game plan suits us really well. Players get far fewer possessions but have far more influence. They continually run to positions of influence, not waiting for the ball to come their way.

I’m not sure how to characterise our current plan. What is clear is that teams eventually learned how to blunt us: block the corridor, force long kicks down the line from the back flank, then use numerical superiority to win the ball before funnelling it back inside and moving it quickly before we have time to set up our defence. We got caught like that probably 200+ times after R11.

We need a proper game plan and we need it now - or we absolutely will not make the finals for years to come.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne, precise ball users. Ummm.....

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Tue 27 Sep 2022 12:37am
Life Long Saint wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 4:36pm
evertonfc wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 12:19pm At St Kilda, we definitely don't have the best players. And with our current coach, we certainly don't have the best game plan. And with our wider football department, we definitely don't have the best culture.
I'd be interested to know, with our current playing list, what our game plan should be?
Personally, I think it’s no debate - we should be a high frontal pressure team.

We lack the skill to execute the Geelong or Melbourne (all different but related) style of precision ball movement. I absolutely love that style but I think our inability to hit targets on transition (especially between the arcs) paralyses us. We get picked off by interceptors or simply turn it over.

With that in mind, I think we’ve shown we can be a pressure team. We play our best footy when we’re turning up the pressure dial and playing footy that is reliant on defensive acts.

I think the Hardwick game plan suits us really well. Players get far fewer possessions but have far more influence. They continually run to positions of influence, not waiting for the ball to come their way.

I’m not sure how to characterise our current plan. What is clear is that teams eventually learned how to blunt us: block the corridor, force long kicks down the line from the back flank, then use numerical superiority to win the ball before funnelling it back inside and moving it quickly before we have time to set up our defence. We got caught like that probably 200+ times after R11.

We need a proper game plan and we need it now - or we absolutely will not make the finals for years to come.
Everton!

Yes, I agree that we need to be a 'shock army' type team because we lack class. BUUUUUUUUT....how can we maintain the rage!??? It can't be done. 3-4 games yes, but over a season...impossible..So taxing on body and spirit. So we need system. Mechanical, dreary, Ross Lyon, boring..bla bla...

Richo and the boys got the hectic thing going for a while a couple of times, but it just 'aint susatinable.

So the answer is 'Incentivized Class'.

What Shane?

Let me tell you..

Players need to be incentivized to create effective game plays..and they shoudl be rewarded for it. THere will be competition and dissent, but it is the coaches responsibility to keep it all cool and for the general good of the team without a KIng's Inquisition.

Waht that looks like..no idea. I believe that coaches have said that the AFL teams usually turn over their game plans in 4-5 week cycles. That ia how fast the game is changing,

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think you’ll find 90-95% of game plans are the same

They focus on set ups

Around the footy
Behind the footy
In front of the ball

Generally at stoppage

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022 9:24am I think you’ll find 90-95% of game plans are the same

They focus on set ups

Around the footy
Behind the footy
In front of the ball

Generally at stoppage
Tweaked each week to counter particular opposition teams' strengths and weaknesses?

Templar
Club Player

No plan for delivering the ball into the 50?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Templar wrote: Thu 29 Sep 2022 9:56am No plan for delivering the ball into the 50?
I'm sure there is a plan (as there was under AR)- but, of course, you need the necessary skills to execute it.

St Kilda Plans and God Laughs ... would be an accurate summary. I think we have given ourselves a few uppercuts over the years.

Football is a game that is "played" - so, you need to recruit and draft in the best and most skilled "play-makers" whenever the opportunity arises.
And we have obviously failed in this key area at critical times since 2008 or so - compared to Geelong, etc..

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 26 Sep 2022 4:56pm I’d love to know any of these ‘magical game plans’

That make teams better than they are?!

I think you’ll find - they are all similar and copies off each other
The game plan that Ross Lyon is currently using, versus the game plan Brett Ratten used, is literally night and day. That's about as close to magic as you'll get, frankly speaking.

Outside of the 6-6-6 that is mandated, it is a completely different way of setting up in each different phase of play.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did we not win a game under Ratten?

St Lenny
Club Player

evertonfc wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 8:39pm
Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 7:14pmIf this forum is a sample size of all members, then clearly we don’t care about winning and it isn’t the number 1 priority. Then filters through and this is what we have, a sub-par professional sports club.
Couldn't agree more.

St Kilda just doesn't seem very focused on winning premierships and track a mediocre path accordingly.

Evidence of that is that our fans haven't elected a board member in over a decade now. They've all been appointed.

Either everyone is resigned to our fate of mediocrity or we're just not that keen on success; which would explain the past decade where our coaches have been Scott Watters, Alan Richardson and Brett Ratten - and nobody seems that fussed about it.

Other clubs would have ripped the throat out of that dreary lot; we hand out extensions to coaches when they're coaching abysmally.
Interesting you say that as this is something I wonder about every AGM. Why are we not able to vote? When and who took that away?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

St Lenny wrote: Sun 26 Mar 2023 11:32pm
evertonfc wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 8:39pm
Annoyedsaint wrote: Sun 25 Sep 2022 7:14pmIf this forum is a sample size of all members, then clearly we don’t care about winning and it isn’t the number 1 priority. Then filters through and this is what we have, a sub-par professional sports club.
Couldn't agree more.

St Kilda just doesn't seem very focused on winning premierships and track a mediocre path accordingly.

Evidence of that is that our fans haven't elected a board member in over a decade now. They've all been appointed.

Either everyone is resigned to our fate of mediocrity or we're just not that keen on success; which would explain the past decade where our coaches have been Scott Watters, Alan Richardson and Brett Ratten - and nobody seems that fussed about it.

Other clubs would have ripped the throat out of that dreary lot; we hand out extensions to coaches when they're coaching abysmally.
Interesting you say that as this is something I wonder about every AGM. Why are we not able to vote? When and who took that away?
This is the main reason Eddie was tossed out of Collingwood. The board was continually handpicked. For the best part of the last 15 of his 20 years. Members got fed up with it and wanted control of their club back.

Go you red, black & white warriors