Cal Twomey’s Top Tip About the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Cal Twomey’s Top Tip About the Saints

Hello there,

First time poster, long time lurker on this forum. Big saints fan - my whole maternal and paternal sides of the family are big saints supporters. Feel very excited to be on this forum.

I was surfing the AFL website and came across Cal Twomey’s new segment called “Gettable”, which is a segment that reports on drafting, trading and list management in the AFL.

Cal talks towards the end about his Top Tip. He states Saints will be going after Carlton’s Paddy Dow which is another SOS draft pick who isn’t getting midfield minutes at the Baggers. We know Cal is pretty accurate when it comes to these sorts of profound statements. I have attached a link to this video below. The part where Cal talks about the Saints is at 33:33 in. I recommend to watch the whole thing as it’s really interesting.

Link: https://www.afl.com.au/video/882664/get ... 8870400001

In my personal opinion, Paddy Dow is exactly what we are looking for. He’s 23, former No. 3 draft pick, has a rising star nomination, took out Carlton’s VFL B&F award, he is powerful, a classy mover, has great vision, loves the contested side of football and has a scoreboard impact, mostly setting up others when going inside 50 which is what we lack (typical Saint Kilda bomb to the hot spot and pray someone marks it). He goes out of contract at the end of the year. He’s not in the mix with Voss according to media and tried to request a trade in last years trade period with Carlton putting the foot down that he’s staying.

Watch his highlights and he looks clean, gets the contested ball and most importantly… RUNS. Link here:

What are your thoughts on this?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cal Twomey’s Top Tip About the Saints

I just hope SOS can seperate Carlton revenge for quality selections

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Good partner for Bytel. The question is, should we persist with the likes of Byrnes, Caminiti and Bytel, or continue to top up on the same types of players.
I'd like to see, no offence intended, Ross, Jones and Billings pushed out of immediate selection when fit. So, if they get fit, we will have a good problem. I am hoping the media will lift our trade profile on the back of a good game plan and the player management experience of Ross, Harvey and Silvagni, so hopefully we could aim a little higher than Paddy Dow.
We beat Freo a rising team, Carlton, another rising team, drew with Richmond a perennial finals achiever.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d go after Dow for a 3rd rounder

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Looked like an absolute gun in the juniors but for whatever reason it hasn't worked out for him at Carlton. Would give him a one year contract to see what a fresh environment could do for him.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Paddy Dow is in his 6th season at Princes Park and out of contract this year. If he becomes available for a 3rd or 4th rdp I don't have problem, change of scenery may stimulate him to play to his 2017 3rd rdp potential.

Of course, the same can be said about St Kilda's 2013 3rd rdp (JB) who also may have benefited from a change of clubs a few years ago because it's hard to believe that he will go on to achieve greater success at Moorabbin. Then again, under RTB he well might.....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 12:10pm Paddy Dow is in his 6th season at Princes Park and out of contract this year. If he becomes available for a 3rd or 4th rdp I don't have problem, change of scenery may stimulate him to play to his 2017 3rd rdp potential.

Of course, the same can be said about St Kilda's 2013 3rd rdp (JB) who also may have benefited from a change of clubs a few years ago because it's hard to believe that he will go on to achieve greater success at Moorabbin. Then again, under RTB he well might.....
Maybe St Kilda and Carlton could swap underachievers at season's end, then in 2024, as an aside, we could monitor who won the deal and who got dudded.

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
older saint
SS Life Member

Poor by foot. No thanks

Saintmike65
Club Player

I’d prefer we put time into Windhager, Byrnes, Bytel, Owens, Phillipou & Hotton as our future mids.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

My fanatical Carlton supporter brother in law has zero time for Paddy Dow. He had a lot more time for Liam Stocker.

Just think of how long Dow has been in the system. I'm sure Carlton have shopped him around, but there are no takers.

Matthew Lloyd, who coached Olli Hotton at Hailebury said he's one of the best stoppage players he's seen at the U18 level, so I agree with SaintMike65..........we put time into the young mids we have and try to snaffle a couple more gems from the draft this year and next.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

We should be able to do better than Paddy Dow.
I'm not sure he'd even get a game for us unless we are harder hit with injuries than we already are.
Wasn't even named as an emergency on Thursday night.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dow had a long running knee issue in 2020 but interesting thoughts below from Diesel Williams at the end of 2020

https://www.afl.com.au/news/497517/hes- ... lues-pupil

Maybe a change of scenery under RTB could reignite him

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 4:47pm I’d prefer we put time into Windhager, Byrnes, Bytel, Owens, Phillipou & Hotton as our future mids.
Yep. The grass is not always greener on the other side of Melbourne.

One area where we differ from other clubs supporters. We never value what we have and are always prepared to trade just about anyone . Often for a "pig in a poke"

I think other clubs think we are an easy mark and after some of the disaster trades we have been involved in, one would have to agree.

Pisses me off no end.