Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 1 2023

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread Saints v Freo Round 1 2023

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 9:59am
The_Dud wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 9:00am
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 20 Mar 2023 11:18pm What gets me is Wilkie knew he had the other bloke by the jumper? I love the passion of trying but it's not a good look. He will cop flak and won't do that again.

But the Steele one that was a shocker, there was very little in the way of dissent, unless he swore.

Passion is a great thing.

Curly should be able to express himself. So should Dud. But it if you respond to Curly, you are acting under your own steam. Interestingly, Dud goes over to a post dedicated to the umpires and starts the same s*** and needed to be reminded to pull up or retract his s*** about the matchday thread.

St.Byron, if you are going to name Dud as one who protests, then you might take his effort in the other thread into consideration, that his motive in the round 1 match day thread is indeed trolling.

People agree with Curly quite often, I know in the moment that I often do. If Dud responded to most people in the bar like he does here to Curly, who is directing his angst at the umpire, then I'd probably ask Curly to take his hands off his throat and seperate the two. Then I'd ban the provocateur.
Please show me one instance during the game where I responded to Curly.

And discussing the umpiring in a thread dedicated to discussing the umpiring? Blasphemy.
Curly posted, you responded by asking Byron to do something. Could it be any clearer what your motive is?
Its clear that the poster and not the topic are your problem, you made nothing of anyone else who also made comments on the umpire.
Somehow, you think Curly is responsible for the responses of yourself and others.
You got found out by Saynta and now your trying to seperate matchday and umpire discussion. Have your say and leave it at that, why bring attention to Curly.
My kids blame each other for their own behaviour quite often.
I hope they mature at some stage before they enter the public domain independently.
The mum and the moderators won't be there to help them.
Curly posted, you responded by asking Byron to do something. Could it be any clearer what your motive is?

Curly posted 11 times before I said anything to Byron. Other posters and Byron had already addressed him before that.

Its clear that the poster and not the topic are your problem, you made nothing of anyone else who also made comments on the umpire.

Maybe you should take a look in the mirror, and read my line directly above again.

But you do make one good point, I don't care if people post about the umpiring at all. But year after year the thread gets spammed with nonsensical posts by one poster who has no other desire than that, it's a different kettle of fish. That is breaking multiple rules of this board and the mods have flagged it.

You got found out by Saynta and now your trying to seperate matchday and umpire discussion.

Lol, please don't make me laugh!

I hope they mature at some stage before they enter the public domain independently.

Your idea of 'maturity' is an interesting one!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Guys, Curly has been asked many, many times to not post over and over and over in the match thread about the umpires cheating / being biased etc . He hasn't been asked to not post at all about umpiring in the match thread, just to not repetitively and obsessively post about it.
He's also been asked many times to start his own thread if he wants to repetitively and almost exclusively post on that subject.

Whether you agree with my take on this issue or not - and clearly there is divided opinion about this - I'm in the position of mod and need to make a call. Whatever that call is, there are going to be posters who disagree.

And my call is that commenting about the umpiring - about anything regarding the game - in the match thread is welcome. When that commenting repetitively and obsessively presents the same point of view over and over and over to a degree that it regularly pisses off a significant number of other posters then that's where it becomes spam.
In my view, Curly has crossed that line in many match threads.

Hence the request to start a separate thread. That way he can still bag the umps to his heart's content and those that don't want to hear it any more don't have to. Seems logical and reasonable to me
There is no personal agenda regarding Curly personally.

A question for those who are defending Curly's right to post in the match thread without restriction :
If I was to post something along the lines of, "Seb Ross is a total waste of space on the footy field" "Farkin Seb Ross we should get rid of him " etc etc (just for an e.g), and I was to post that 8 times a quarter would you defend my right to do so? Because that's something I've also heard more than once at the footy. Or would it bother you and you'd demand that it stopped?
So it's just because it's the umpires who are the subject that makes it okay?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 11:30am If I was to post something along the lines of, "Seb Ross is a total waste of space on the footy field" "Farkin Seb Ross we should get rid of him " etc etc (just for an e.g), and I was to post that 8 times a quarter would you defend my right to do so?
It would probably be a bit extreme given he didn’t play on the weekend 8-)
Fair point about the umpiring and spamming though.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Seriously don't see the issue in comments on this forum. It's football banter and venting with a mixture of opinions and thoughts. You know what I get tired of is people attacking other posters about there opinion. Opinions can't be wrong and everyone is entitled to them.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 11:46am Seriously don't see the issue in comments on this forum. It's football banter and venting with a mixture of opinions and thoughts. You know what I get tired of is people attacking other posters about there opinion. Opinions can't be wrong and everyone is entitled to them.
Spot on Curley .. but could you please share your opinion once ?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 11:50am
CURLY wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 11:46am Seriously don't see the issue in comments on this forum. It's football banter and venting with a mixture of opinions and thoughts. You know what I get tired of is people attacking other posters about there opinion. Opinions can't be wrong and everyone is entitled to them.
What would you like to know?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 11:51am
are umpires cheats ?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 12:22pm
are umpires cheats ?
Think there are a few that are yes.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Hi Curly. Thanks for not getting reactive when your posts are the prime subject of discussion.

Of course opinions and venting and comments are fair enough. But can you understand that posting the same opinion obsessively and repetitively over and over and over pisses some people off?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 1:20pm
Hi Curly. Thanks for not getting reactive when your posts are the prime subject of discussion.

Of course opinions and venting and comments are fair enough. But can you understand that posting the same opinion obsessively and repetitively over and over and over pisses some people off?
Really don't think it's any different to calling our players undiciplined or stupid constantly.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I'll keep saying it, many agree, if there is a poster who annoys or bores you, just keep scrolling, or just use the FOE function, isn't that what its for?

Seriously how hard can that be.

It is very clear to the objective mindset, that when posters challenge a post they disagree with, especially when it's done with the intent of harassment, then they are the problem.

Why are we being stubborn about this?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 1:30pm

Really don't think it's any different to calling our players undiciplined or stupid constantly.
one million percent

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 1:49pm I'll keep saying it, many agree, if there is a poster who annoys or bores you, just keep scrolling, or just use the FOE function, isn't that what its for?

It is very clear to the objective mindset, that when posters challenge a post they disagree with, especially when it's done with the intent of harassment, then they are the problem.

It might be that you and Curly, in particular, have been associated with attention bias.

You have possibly facilitiated disturbing and distressing reactions with your opinions, that is clear.

I doubt your impact is actually traumatic in reality but this is an anonymous platform and all the characters involved are passionate about their belongingness and their opinion's. Being a St.Kilda supporter is quite possibly traumatic for some.

Here something that may help you understand. Not that I think you don't. Others may be interested too.

https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?u ... 1759c2d084

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I don't see anyone else on the forum so totally focused on a single issue and posting about it more than 30 times in the course of a game.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:29pm

I don't see anyone else on the forum so totally focused on a single issue and posting about it more than 30 times in the course of a game.

Don't think that's true but anyway.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:06pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 1:49pm I'll keep saying it, many agree, if there is a poster who annoys or bores you, just keep scrolling, or just use the FOE function, isn't that what its for?

It might be that you and Curly, in particular, have been associated with attention bias.

You have possibly facilitiated disturbing and distressing reactions with your opinions, that is clear.

I doubt your impact is actually traumatic in reality but this is an anonymous platform and all the characters involved are passionate about their belongingness and their opinion's. Being a St.Kilda supporter is quite possibly traumatic for some.

Here something that may help you understand. Not that I think you don't. Others may be interested too.

Luckily for me my third PhD is in psychiatry so I understood everything in that white paper, I'm just not sure what your point was though.

But you raise a great point, the anonymous platform, I don't understand how anyone can get so triggered by it to the point they find it impossible to scroll past a poster they don't like, OR use the FOE function. The fact posters don't and go on a campaign of harassment is fascinating.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:33pm

Luckily for me my third PhD is in psychiatry so I understood everything in that white paper, I'm just not sure what your point was though.

But you raise a great point, the anonymous platform, I don't understand how anyone can get so triggered by it to the point they find it impossible to scroll past a poster they don't like, OR use the FOE function. The fact posters don't and go on a campaign of harassment is fascinating.
You asked about why people are being so stubborn. Id replace the word stubborn with hypervigilant.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I believe the foe button would remove the foe, as a direct threat, it would not remove the hypervigilance, as the quoting fests are aa cue and may also circumvent the foe button.

That's when the moderation is needed, again and again.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:37pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:33pm

You asked about why people are being so stubborn. Id replace the word stubborn with hypervigilant.
I'm sure you meant hypersensitive.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:44pm I believe the foe button would remove the foe, as a direct threat, it would not remove the hypervigilance, as the quoting fests are aa cue and may also circumvent the foe button.

That's when the moderation is needed, again and again.
not at all, that is when just using the scroll feature and self control should be ones fall back plan.

but anyway, I have made my point so I'll leave it at that...oh hell, I've been infected.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

No. I believe its gone beyond sensory.
In the Curly vs the umpires, which Curly is particularly sensory, he sees it, processes it and shares it here.
Curly and his detractors have moved through the sensory disturbance and he has become a threat for one or three people in particular and, they have become hypervigilant.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

One way or another, the moderator will be asked to have it all stop.
I believe he has been gracious and has considered all manner of possibilities in his decisions, so far.
As you say, it's time for those, who can still maintain some self control, to avoid provoking those who clearly can't.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:31pm
st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 2:29pm

Don't think that's true but anyway.
Which bit isn't true?
In this thread your first post was 4.04pm forum time. By 4.27 you'd posted 8 times. All of them about the umpiring. One every 3 mins.
Experience has shown that without being asked to desist, you carry on in that vein for the whole game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Tue 21 Mar 2023 12:22pm
are umpires cheats ?
The leaking of Brownlow votes last year took away any doubt. So some are.