Cornes throws more shade on the Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Re: Cornes throws more shade on the Saints

whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 10:13am Whilst we have Cornes, Robbo, Caro etc to deride we can avoid the elephant in the room, the fact that we are considered the f ;6k up club of the AFL!

Even though Cornes may be a clown it doesn’t necessarily make every thing he writes untrue!
I think Essendon have blown away all competition as the f**k up Club of the competition.

We f**ked up in extending Ratten and immediately identified the the error and others, then took immediate steps to rectify. As unpalatable or hard as it was. Hardly dysfunctional.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Well said saintsRrising, I agree with your analysis, and would add the comments by Leigh Montagna in his appearance on Saints TV which I have mentioned elsewhere. These were to the effect that since the departure of Goddard, Dal Santo, Riewoldt and Montagna prior to 2018 the club has simply not had a single experienced or elite player from the last successful era to mentor the new recruits, which in a sense meant the players had no understanding of the club's culture.

Culture in team sport is crucial in molding the team into a successful unit, which is why terminating Brett Ratten and replacing him with the last successful coach, Ross Lyon, was such a good move by the club's Board. Bringing back Lenny Hayes, Robert Harvey, Brendon Goddard, augmented by AFLW coach Nick Dal Santo, plus Justin Koschitzke at the Danny Frawley Centre, will most definitely help the current players to understand what it means to play for the RWB.

The team may well not make finals this year, however I believe that it is not impossible for them to win 2 more game than the 11 they won in 2022 and achieve that goal - after all, the three debutants from last year, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager and Owens will be substantially better players, Hunter Clark will surely have a blinder as an outside mid, and 'Winnie the Pou' will have an outstanding debut season as a forward.

Sitting in the wings St Kilda have Anthony Caminiti, Max Heath, James Van Es, Oscar Adams and Isaac Keeler, all of whom will become players of the future.

Yes, things will be a bit dicey until Membrey, Hayes and King overcome their injuries, but overall I am quietly confident that St Kilda will do better than expected....

The essence of philosophy is that a man should so live that his happiness shall depend as little as possible on external things.

"No man is free who is not master of himself."

Epictetus, Greek Stoic Philiosopher (c. 50 – c. 135 AD)
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 1:19pm
whiskers3614 wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 10:13am Whilst we have Cornes, Robbo, Caro etc to deride we can avoid the elephant in the room, the fact that we are considered the f ;6k up club of the AFL!

Even though Cornes may be a clown it doesn’t necessarily make every thing he writes untrue!
I think Essendon have blown away all competition as the f**k up Club of the competition.

We f**ked up in extending Ratten and immediately identified the the error and others, then took immediate steps to rectify. As unpalatable or hard as it was. Hardly dysfunctional.
For any one at Essendon even to consider re-apppointing Hird as coach, shows what a basket case they still are off field. Having said that our footballing management and decisions haven't been a whole lot better. It wasnt until Bassatt became involved in the Football Dept and arranged the review that Ratten's short comings were highlighted. Until then we could have been sitting back and watching another 2 years of 'Ratts muddle', rather than the systems RTB has introduced. Lets also remember that thats where all other clubs and supporters wanted us to remain and not become a finals threat again.

Finals might not happen this year, but I am confident we will become a serious contender again under RTB tenure. Its a shame Geoff Walsh couldnt have given us a couple of years service as his knowledge would have been invaluable, but whats to suggest that Misson will not be even better given the oppportunity.

The club desparately wants to get to 100k members and become independant of AFL funding, but I honestly cant see such a huge jump in membership until they can win a premierships. Look at Hawthorn and Richmond in recent years they were both middle of the road clubs financially until they had some sustained on field sucess.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Kane talks about the fallout of the Ratten dismissal.
Can anyone explain what that is ?
The club and players have all quickly moved on as I think all the fans have .
We all say Ratten was a decent coach but we don't think he was able to take us to the top .

In red white and black from 73
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 4:06pm

The team may well not make finals this year, however I believe that it is not impossible for them to win 2 more game than the 11 they won in 2022 and achieve that goal - after all, the three debutants from last year, Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager and Owens will be substantially better players, Hunter Clark will surely have a blinder as an outside mid, and 'Winnie the Pou' will have an outstanding debut season as a forward.

Sitting in the wings St Kilda have Anthony Caminiti, Max Heath, James Van Es, Oscar Adams and Isaac Keeler, all of whom will become players of the future.

Yes, things will be a bit dicey until Membrey, Hayes and King overcome their injuries, but overall I am quietly confident that St Kilda will do better than expected....

Yes don't get me wrong. I like all St Kilda fans want them to make finals this year. To do so will be will be a good sign. But the bigger sign is if we see signs that our future will be brighter.

We need to see the playing group playing good team football for the majority of the game. We need to see the players delivering on a well oiled gameplan

We need to see more players taking the next step, or even two steps.

With our youngest recruits we need to seem them have a taste of AFL level football as it will help with their development. We need to see our youngest and brightest developed well.

Caminiti at present may get thrashed at the highest level, but hopefully it will help indicate to him how hard he needs to work to become an AFL level player.

It would be great if all of this was there to see from Round 1, but some things take time. The game plan for example will need to be tweaked as the season progresses. And indeed it needs to keep evolving. Ratts looked liked a star coach when our kick it over the heads of the backs so that Butler etc could run in and get easy goals. But once the opposition coaches reacted to that strategy the gameplan cupboard was empty. Gameplans need to be live evolving things.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 4:06pm

Yes don't get me wrong. I like all St Kilda fans want them to make finals this year. To do so will be will be a good sign. But the bigger sign is if we see signs that our future will be brighter.

We need to see the playing group playing good team football for the majority of the game. We need to see the players delivering on a well oiled gameplan

We need to see more players taking the next step, or even two steps.

With our youngest recruits we need to seem them have a taste of AFL level football as it will help with their development. We need to see our youngest and brightest developed well.

Caminiti at present may get thrashed at the highest level, but hopefully it will help indicate to him how hard he needs to work to become an AFL level player.

It would be great if all of this was there to see from Round 1, but some things take time. The game plan for example will need to be tweaked as the season progresses. And indeed it needs to keep evolving. Ratts looked liked a star coach when our kick it over the heads of the backs so that Butler etc could run in and get easy goals. But once the opposition coaches reacted to that strategy the gameplan cupboard was empty. Gameplans need to be live evolving things.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The word "censor" is an anagram of Cornes.

Ironic!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

We won’t know how Ratts and RTB would go if they could coach in the old skool coach is the boss mode.

If Ross just delegates the work out to defence, forwards on ballers with separate coaches. Or asks his assistants to come up with a game plan (which is what his last interview suggested) it is even harder to judge.

Just regarding Ratts and the ‘mistake’ of re-signing him, I don’t think then club had a choice. Ratts Managment forced their hand by demanding that he Saints announce their intentions mid season , before the first game was even played.

No choice but to say, ‘Eh, umm, yeah, sure’
In that situation. Cannot say, ‘no, we have to wait until the end of the season’ because it will leave a sour taste and it won’t seem fair.

So it seems they had to pretend that the bluff worked, to settle things down, and then coldly go about their business as usual.

That’s how it looks for me. But I’m not in business or politics - where I am sure the business of bluffing and challenging people is a matter of course

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Make up your mind. Mid season or before the first game was even played.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I'm not one to stifle debate, but surely anything from Cornes or David King should just be considered trollbait and banned.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 12:25am
spert wrote: Sat 11 Mar 2023 11:25am Well the Sainters are just going to have to prove KC wrong, by moving up the ladder this season.
I think that Cornes, and yourself, have both not understood that the total revamp of the football department was not about making finals in 2023, or even any year.

It was instead about putting in place an overall direction aimed at making us a genuine Top 4 Contender. It was not about just trying to make finals in 2023. That type of short-term top up stratgey is why the Club is in its current state. ie Maybe good enough to play finals is all goes well during the season, but in no way were we an actual Premiership Threat.

Making finals is in 2023 is a meaningless measure. It may be nice if we play finals in 2023, but it really has little bearing o us becoming a Top 4 Contender, then Top 4 lock and then a genuine Premiership Threat.

Blind Freddy can see that the list that we have this season is lacking still the genuine gun elite players that you need to be a truly good team. We have some emerging possibilities like King, but they are not there yet.

Our one elite player is Sinclair, and he is a HBFer. No team has won a a flag with that scenario.

It is also not just RTB, but an entire overall of our Football Depart that has occurred including most of the fitness and other support staff including psychologists. I suspect that our recruiting department still needs some more expertise.

Kane has clearly missed what is the big picture. He had only thought small and seems to regard it as a Ross vs Ratten issue/change. It is. It is much bigger that that. And the timeline is also more than one season.

2023 is year one of hopefully becoming a truly successful club.

Now whether it will be successful or not, I have no idea. But what we were doing in the era just finished was clearly not working. It was time for a new direction.
Great post
Some get it
Some still delusional the list is finals contender….ahh well …

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how Clickbait Kane feels about the RTB appointment now

Pretty sure we would not have won that game under Ratten

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re mid season before a game was played

Saynta very kindly asked me to disambiguate..

According to what I read,

Ratts Managment asked/demanded to the St Kilda board, before a single game was played last season, that a determination would be given to Ratts no later than mid-season about his future.

They (the club) subsequently offered him a contract extension - and here is where I speculate - the club were forced to acquiesce to Ratts managements demands, and thus, Ratts Managment unwittingly gave the Saints a bit of moral leeway, to acquiesce in, let’s say, a little less than perfectly good faith.

Like someone giving you their telephone number, knowing perfectly well, they needn’t answer the phone.

So Ratts gets his extension. Then gets fired.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 4:11pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Sun 12 Mar 2023 1:19pm

The club desparately wants to get to 100k members and become independant of AFL funding, but I honestly cant see such a huge jump in membership until they can win a premierships. Look at Hawthorn and Richmond in recent years they were both middle of the road clubs financially until they had some sustained on field sucess.
I think this is the bigger picture. The off season changes we've had are aimed at creating a sustainable culture of success at the Saints. It's not about finals this year - although finals would be good - or even about finals next year. I think the vision is to create a club wide culture across the playing, support and management staff that lifts the Saints out of their perennial lack of success and creates a perennial expectation of success.

It's a big vision to change an ingrained culture that doesn't expect and know success, but I reckon that's what Bassett and co are trying to do. And that kind of change is systemic and takes time. And yes we need on field success as well as off field quality. They're interdependent. Bassett has held up Geelong and Sydney as models that they're seeking to emulate.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Catch: need finals to maintain momentum.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

lets see how the media adjusts to this latest outcome.

This is what they do .. bend with the breeze to keep their pay packets coming in ...I havent paid any attention to them for a long long time

StPeter
Club Player

On the Channel 9 Footy Show tonight, St Kilda's performance dismissed almost as an aberration and they are likely to lose their next two matches to Bulldogs and Essendon. Only comments on the match revolved around Freo's poor effort.
Nothing said about any of the Saints players or the team performance or new recruits. I don't think any of the commentators even saw the match other than Cornes who's only comment was criticising the Saints disposal.

Disgraceful coverage of the match.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Not allowed to watch Ch7?