Round 1 side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 1 side

Vortex wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 3:53pm
spert wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 2:55pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 1:35pm
spert wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:07pm I expect Campbell and Sharman will start in the forward half, with Bytel, Caminiti, Phillipou and Stocker on the bench. Maybe Highmore as sub.

If Campbell and Sharman are selected Ross's selection integrity will be immediately bought into sharp attention.
Pre-season practice matches are just that- not to be confused with actual games in the season.
possibly but in the midst of an injury crisis especially amongst the talls you'd think you'd get a run a praccy match, my guess is they have been told they will be cut at seasons end and are backup at best through out 2023, but strange things happen and who knows, they could turn it around really quickly, it happens, but unlikely.

If you’re a keen Saints fan…no hang on…

If you are a true Saints fanatic then you’d know the reason that Tom Campbell didn’t play against Essendon

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 10:24am
spert wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:07pm I expect Campbell and Sharman will start in the forward half, with Bytel, Caminiti, Phillipou and Stocker on the bench. Maybe Highmore as sub.

If Campbell and Sharman are selected Ross's selection integrity will be immediately bought into sharp attention.
Pre-season practice matches are just that- not to be confused with actual games in the season.
possibly but in the midst of an injury crisis especially amongst the talls you'd think you'd get a run a praccy match, my guess is they have been told they will be cut at seasons end and are backup at best through out 2023, but strange things happen and who knows, they could turn it around really quickly, it happens, but unlikely.

If you are a true Saints fanatic then you’d know the reason that Tom Campbell didn’t play against Essendon
:wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 10:24am

I'm not keen Saints fan or a true Saints fanatic, I'm a Grand Master Chess player and I use the footy forums to sharpen my strategy and tactics.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 9:58am
Vortex wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 8:40am
Zed wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 9:22pm I’m amazed how many people keep nominating Sharman in their Round 1 team when the coaches chose not to play him in last practice match. Unless one of the forwards that played in that game gets injured , he just isn’t going to play.

I will be as interested and excited as anyone to see where the goals are going to come from. Unfortunately I just don’t see us kicking enough to beat either the dockers or the dogs. Would love to be wrong.
Yeah it's a real head scratcher.
Well, with a stronger team last year, we were soundly beaten by the Dogs and also by the Dockers the second time we played them (at home). So I reckon we're rank outsiders in both matches, and probably wouldn't have been favourites even if King, Membrey, Ross and perhaps others had been available.

However, I think the coaching staff do have a credible plan for the first few games of the season. The backline and the midfield looked well-organised against the Bombers. And I believe there is a tactic for the forward line as well, which is a lumbering tall target in Cordy, supplemented on occasions by Marshall, and surrounded by a large number of mobile players of varying sizes buzzing around the place: Gresham, Higgins, Butler, Owens and one or both of Philipou and Caminiti. I expect to see lots of quick, sometimes chaotic movement of the ball forward and a focus on trying to keep it inside our fifty. I can't really see a place for Sharman in that sort of structure, but we'll soon find out.

If Freo don't convert enough of their chances in the first half, the pressure on them might grow steadily and who knows what might happen? I don't think we've got much of a chance, but I'm hoping that we might see a bit of a devil-may-care attitude among our players which will do them the world of good if they can give a creditable performance and don't end up getting monumentally thrashed.
Yeah I agree with most of your thoughts on how things will roll in the first month while waiting for players to come back.

One of the things I expect to see is Ross deliver on his promise for us to be a quicker side in attack and exploit the stand rule so I'll be really looking to see that percolate as a game style which should be possible irrespective of the personnel on the field.

It may look scrappy and players, especially the newbies and less skillful, may butcher the ball or make poor decisions in their effort to go quick but I expect that is the pain we will have to endure while Ross tries to cement the game style. And I expect he will promote speed over skill.

I will however spew up my intestines if I see a really stodgy, slow and defensive mindset, we will be crucified by the media if that is what we serve up.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Who actually gives a fat rats arsehole what the media thinks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

List size...44 players

Injured ....14 players

Available for selection....30 players

Side ...23 players plus 3 emergencies....total 26 players

Balance....4 players for Sandi.

If you can't get a game now or at least be on standby as an emergency...things aren't looking to bright for you at Moorabbin.

( apart from Heath and Peris...two project players)

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

It's time for Heath to step up and drop the "project player" title.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

RTB said in press conference that Windhager trained a bit in the main group today and will train again on Friday. After seeing the photos on Monday of his swollen hand, while he was running laps hanging onto his singlet, I doubt he will be ready to play Sunday. So hopefully Bytel gets his chance and makes the most of it!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Side sight unseen Gerard Healy has picked Freo as his certainty this round.
Freo fans already heave hoeing on twitter, showing excepts from the last game against us. (Don't watch, it's certainly not for the faint hearted)
Freo $1.52, shortest price for any team.
Hope we can get 30,000 to the game and give the players good support. And the coaches.
Not sure who will go to Brayshaw. Maybe Clark? Maybe Bytel?
Big expectation difference from last year v Pies, but that's ok - really looking forward to seeing footy again and our new look side.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 1:46pm RTB said in press conference that Windhager trained a bit in the main group today and will train again on Friday. After seeing the photos on Monday of his swollen hand, while he was running laps hanging onto his singlet, I doubt he will be ready to play Sunday. So hopefully Bytel gets his chance and makes the most of it!
I'm a bit funny about omens, superstitious, you might saý....
Lenny Hayes, as a youngie, was thrown into a fence by one of the Scott thugs, broke his hand.

Windy might go on to be Hayes 2.0.
All the signs are there

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 2:38pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 1:46pm RTB said in press conference that Windhager trained a bit in the main group today and will train again on Friday. After seeing the photos on Monday of his swollen hand, while he was running laps hanging onto his singlet, I doubt he will be ready to play Sunday. So hopefully Bytel gets his chance and makes the most of it!
I'm a bit funny about omens, superstitious, you might saý....
Lenny Hayes, as a youngie, was thrown into a fence by one of the Scott thugs, broke his hand.

Windy might go on to be Hayes 2.0.
All the signs are there
The prick now coaching the druggies.

His arsehole brother was one of the brians who along with Mal Michael attacked an injured Rooey as he was trying to leave the ground, after injuring his shoulder.

Being a dropkick must be in their DNA.

Never forget and never forgive when it comes to the two Snott brothers.

BadRossco
Club Player

If I remember correctly Hamill removed a few teeth for Scott as a pay back but was the only one that evened up.
Scott didn’t squeal about it which was probably the only decent thing he did in his entire career

happy feet
Club Player

BadRossco wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 7:22pm If I remember correctly Hamill removed a few teeth for Scott as a pay back but was the only one that evened up.
Scott didn’t squeal about it which was probably the only decent thing he did in his entire career
You remember correctly. Roo had a broken collar bone and was attached by Scott and some other Brisbane scumbags trying to get off the ground. A low dog act from a bunch of lowlife Replaceable Soles.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Club Player

Better take my binoculars on Sunday. Could be the smallest forward line ever.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

1971 wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 10:42pm Better take my binoculars on Sunday. Could be the smallest forward line ever.

Caminiti and Cordy are not small. Both are true talls. Though one is raw, and the other a GOP.

Plus Owens and The Poo will be rotating through. Both are taller than Membrey.
Plus Wood who is taller than the above three will also be pushing forward.

PS. When Jezza was our coach we had some really small forward lines.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 8:24pm
BadRossco wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 7:22pm If I remember correctly Hamill removed a few teeth for Scott as a pay back but was the only one that evened up.
You remember correctly. Roo had a broken collar bone and was attached by Scott and some other Brisbane scumbags trying to get off the ground. A low dog act from a bunch of lowlife Replaceable Soles.
Mal Michael.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Can't help but feel uneasy when Tony74 goes incommunicado.
Intelligence embargo or are things going awry.
Was that cbox audio actually a cause of friction.
Misson's appointment under whelming.
Any positives to share T74? Like coaches are confident about Sunday....?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Our best chance to win this game is to grind and grind hard.

We don't have the firepower to blow Freo away. So do we have the grit to lock them down, arm wrestle them and fight to win?

It'll be huge for the club if we do.

Equally, too much tends to go on R1. We stuffed it last year and won 8 of the next 10. We won famously v GWS in 2021 and then capitulated in the following three months.

But it would be great to get off to a good start and feed the belief in the club that we're on the right track.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

aussie sainter
Club Player

For the life of me I can’t work out what Byrnes really brings to the table. Happy to be proved wrong…

aussie sainter
Club Player

For the life of me I can’t work out what Byrnes really brings to the table. Happy to be proved wrong…

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Teams announced. Must be taking the piss.

Hill CHF
Gresham FF

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

aussie sainter wrote: Thu 16 Mar 2023 6:31pm For the life of me I can’t work out what Byrnes really brings to the table. Happy to be proved wrong…
Easily among our best 10 in the practice matches, and covered as much ground as anyone. Absolutely deserves to play Round 1.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Backline looks solid enough

Midfield and forward line....very thin.

Surely Phillipou plays, and if Caminiti or Sharman don't play I'll be shocked.

We're in for a bumpy ride, no doubt.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

aussie sainter wrote: Thu 16 Mar 2023 6:31pm For the life of me I can’t work out what Byrnes really brings to the table. Happy to be proved wrong…
Just watch closely Sunday. All will be revealed. He has what it takes.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I really can’t believe Cordy will be playing