Ross Lyon and Finals

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ross Lyon needs to guide St Kilda to the finals in the first year of his second stint as club coach

Agree
18%
Disagree
82%

Total votes: 44

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon and Finals

Ross Lyon & finals.

Do bears poo in the woods.

Players will enjoy playing under Ross.

He will get the best out of the available list.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 8:01pm Ross Lyon & finals.

What happens if he can't get us back playing finals for the duration of his current contract?

Should he get a 'Richo like' extension even if he falls short?

Do you think he can evolve and stay hungry for the next 6 years?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ross, the development coach.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

seems to be panning out as a great year already

hello , bottom four.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 9:12am seems to be panning out as a great year already

hello , bottom four.
Due to the question leading to a very narrow bandwidth and/or the opportunity to add nuance I haven't voted but bottom 4 is possible if our injury list doesn't improve.

We might not have a full compliment of players until at least the halfway mark.

As I have been saying all along, you can change the coach but the same challenges remain.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 8:13am

What happens if he can't get us back playing finals for the duration of his current contract?

Failure is not a word in the vocabulary of Banger, Enright, Lenny or BJ. We will be apples.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm just wondering why this question is on your mind. We should have played finals last year, I mean like how the f***, can you beat Geelong at 8-3 and not make finals. We are resetting, just like when Ross took over we last time.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:06pm

I'm just wondering why this question is on your mind. We should have played finals last year, I mean like how the f***, can you beat Geelong at 8-3 and not make finals. We are resetting, just like when Ross took over we last time.
I could ask a few people a few questions too

Why the f*** would a chorus of ex players be undermining a coach who had his team sitting at 8-3?

It's ok to debate and have doubts behind closed doors, but I believe their influence was disruptive and they were not doing the best thing by the playing group or the club at that time

Why the f*** were they trying to derail our season with talk of replacing the guy who had got us back to being competitive and... winning a final for the first time in a decade?

Here's how I see it. Ratten was a good coach. We were not a very well run footy department and we were not a very good coaching unit.

As saynta, said in his reply to my post (and good on ya mate)...I believe we DO now have a very good AND united coaching group, so I hope we continue the good work that Ratten started

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:27pm

I could ask a few people a few questions too

Why the f*** would a chorus of ex players be undermining a coach who had his team sitting at 8-3?

Why the f*** were they trying to derail our season with talk of replacing the guy who had got us back to being competitive and... winning a final for the first time in a decade?

Here's how I see it. Ratten was a good coach. We were not a very well run footy department and we were not a very good coaching unit.

As saynta, said in his reply to my post...I believe we DO now have a very good AND united coaching group, so I hope we continue the good work that Ratten started
I'm not usually very receptive of hear say. I hear complaints about the umpires weekly and watch the games myself. Some think they cheat and point out mistakes, believing the umpire is cheating.
What I saw was in the first half of last year, was a team that was flogging its guts out and winning games in 20 minutes of dominant yet messy field play.

Then they fell away, in what blooked like an under prepared fitness level and non existing game plan not based on pressure and chaos, but I see how past player getting involved and undermining Ratten could have caused it.

That was a lie, no I don't. I thinks it rubbish and it only makes Ratten look even more fragile.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Geelong weren't planning on being at their best in May

Melbourne were 10 zip last year and unbackable to win the flag.

We all know that the best teams in April and May don't necessarily play their best football at the pointy end.

Geelong deliberately timed their run. They weren't just planning on making up the numbers once they got there

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 12:38pm Geelong weren't planning on being at their best in May

Melbourne were 10 zip last year and unbackable to win the flag.

We all know that the best teams in April and May don't necessarily play their best football at the pointy end.

Geelong deliberately timed their run. They weren't just planning on making up the numbers once they got there
I dont watch Melb or Geelong, sorry.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ

You're right.

He arrived at a brilliantly run organisation

It was all Brett Ratten's fault.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Fault? Not sure about fault.

I'd have granted him an extension based on his prior efforts and promises.

Then I'd have taken it away from him based on his results. I'd not have extended at 8-3 without a get out clause.

Flogging your players at the highest level in the first half of the season with a sub standard pre-season behind them and then asking your manager to press negotiations, (Wilkie told me some players were setting their own agendas in the preseason) appears like the actions of a desperate man. We achieved record membership though.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda made the decision to extend Ratten's contract but stupidly withheld the information from the public for about 3 weeks.

We were travelling ok, but something changed with our playing group half way through the year. Even though the announcement came out about Ratten, it seemed like the group were distracted.

Could it have been the fact that the players were hearing that big changes were coming?

It was real too, because change was being announced very early in the year

There was chatter wasn't there? It started with murmuring about assistants, but do you reckon the players knew it was something more sinister?

I still think we'd have made finals if we didn't have key players injured at the back end....so after all that speculation...at the end of the day we fell short imo because of injuries :P :mrgreen:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And the hearsay and speculation wouldn't matter if you have a strong united group with really strong player leadership

That is what we lacked. We possibly still don't have the maturity and experienced leadership that is required when we measure up against the top teams

That's where we need to build a culture of strong on field leaders. That's where recruitment and drafting come into it

We have to have a core group that grows and stays together for the next five years and we need to find a handful of players that can be worthy of being called a premiership leader

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Injuries to a list with significant vulnerabilities

cps
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 4:48pm The original post seems to think that Ross 'needs' to appease the media. I think everyone here (except maybe the op) agrees that he doesn't need to make finals this year.

I reckon with the mounting injury toll, he's got a ripper of an excuse. Any how, even without the injuries there was never a need or expectation or goal to make finals. It's not like Bassat and the board are gunna sack him if we finish bottom 4

Perhaps the op feels like Ross owes Saints fans some joy and reward for giving him a job.
Not sure where you get that idea from!

I'm interested in whether people agree with Corne's opinion. Personally, I don't. This is a season to get the game plan in place, and also to develop the onfield leadership (which I think we've lacked compared to other clubs for quite a while).

I don't think Ross would care about the media at all - to him it's just "outside noise".

Cheers!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 1:32pm

Injuries to a list with significant vulnerabilities
I can see that. We will know the full extent on Sunday. Every list would be vulnerable with 15 injured players.

The real vulnerability lies with the 5 high profile ones who have spent too much of their time on it and the preparation they have been given.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We have 14 x players injured and we havent even played a real game yet, what will happen when the season begins? The chances of us playing finals are very unlikely IMO. Our season fixture has a relatively tough start, there is a chance we could be 0 -6. I believe until we get key players back our forward line in particular will struggle. The other downside of so many injuries is the development levels at Sandringham will drop ie playing in a competitively skilled side and/or competition for spots.

On a positive note it will give opportunities to players who wouldnt have had that chance normally. Hopefully we find a couple of players who will make it hard to be dropped when others return?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

cps wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 1:39pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 4:48pm The original post seems to think that Ross 'needs' to appease the media. I think everyone here (except maybe the op) agrees that he doesn't need to make finals this year.

I reckon with the mounting injury toll, he's got a ripper of an excuse. Any how, even without the injuries there was never a need or expectation or goal to make finals. It's not like Bassat and the board are gunna sack him if we finish bottom 4

Perhaps the op feels like Ross owes Saints fans some joy and reward for giving him a job.
Not sure where you get that idea from!

I'm interested in whether people agree with Corne's opinion. Personally, I don't. This is a season to get the game plan in place, and also to develop the onfield leadership (which I think we've lacked compared to other clubs for quite a while).

I don't think Ross would care about the media at all - to him it's just "outside noise".

Cheers!
Then it’s unanimous

We all agree that Brett Ratten was sacked so we could start afresh and hopefully one day get back to finals at some stage in the future

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Injuries happen. Thank goodness we now have a decent coach and assistant staff to manage the situation

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I think the team just needs to remain competitive under Lyon in his first year of this second tenure. If we win 11 games again and finish just outside the 8, it could well be considered as a decent season, providing it’s not another second half season fade. Making final would be a great bonus, but realistically, it seems a bit of a a tall order. Either way, it’s going to be a fascinating season.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

A bit hard to gauge with all the injuries now, but we were in striking distance of finals much of last season, with an ordinary list and an apparently ordinary coach, so you would expect Lyon to get this mob into the final 8.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 6:59pm If our list is that shyte

Ratten must be a great coach to have a 50% record with such crap players

Hope Ross does as well?!
Or had a soft draw 1st half season when we got the jump on a few teams struggling
Do you think the list is top 4???
Conversely IF Ratten was a great coach how do you explain the last 11 games debacle??…ironically when sides get going for finals and any fitness benefits from early season wore off…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 12:20pm A bit hard to gauge with all the injuries now, but we were in striking distance of finals much of last season, with an ordinary list and an apparently ordinary coach, so you would expect Lyon to get this mob into the final 8.
Were we really though?
3-11 with bottom 4 transition numbers last hand season ??
I’d say we got found out as pretenders
Lyon said it recently- we finished 10,10 last 2 years ….we are in no man’s land….not really challenging just hoping a good fixture run gets us into bottom half of the 8
That’s not progress that’s where you don’t want to be
All this talk of Rattens fault etc - ofcourse it’s not solely him but he sets the game plan
He gives instructions to recruit what he needs
He was telling board our “window was open”
BULLSHYTE - he wears a lot of flack for that
2 AFL clubs now he’s coached - both has strong attack gane styles that DID NOT stand up when teams countered …
Ratten is cooked as a senior coach - good assistant no shame in that (Harvey the same)
This year Lyon will work out who’s there long haul ….who needs to go
I could care less about finals this year all I’m interested in is being a genuine top 4 contender again ….not making up numbers to do that we’ll need to turn a few over
What did RTB mention in the Barrat interview??
We are light on for quality key talls to help King/Marshall
We lack outside run with class …
We have some good kids (are they A grade??? Don’t know yet)
Interesting that he said if it was about the list he wouldn’t have taken the gig…..that’s telling what he thinks of the list I think ..,
All that tells me knows we have to hit the draft …
He even mentioned the club made a conscious decision in recent years NOT to hit the draft (hello Brett??) I suspect cause they were delusional on the list quality (hello Brett) and just wanted to win games to paper over cracks
Thank **** the Board (aka Jason Blake) woke up.

“Yeah….nah””