Saints top AFL handouts and reduce overall debt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saints top AFL handouts and reduce overall debt

diddley
Club Player

Re: Saints top AFL handouts and reduce overall debt

Mind posting what it says please.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Havent read it but ill add my 2c.
We have been crap for 10+ years and we play in timeslots that are not great. Sunday 4:40etc.
This does not attract sponsors. We loose.
We have also help pay off marvel stadium.
Clubs like Geelong if play at Cardinia Park earn 700k+ per home game for 25k attendance. If we dont pull 30k its a loss. We loose
The AFL is a business. They want to maximize revenue. They will look after teams to protect their revenue. ie Collingwood at MCG 18 times per year. We loose.
The AFL need to pay us the extra money because of the reasons above.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 5:56pm Havent read it but ill add my 2c.
We have been crap for 10+ years and we play in timeslots that are not great. Sunday 4:40etc.
This does not attract sponsors. We loose.
We have also help pay off marvel stadium.
Clubs like Geelong if play at Cardinia Park earn 700k+ per home game for 25k attendance. If we dont pull 30k its a loss. We loose
The AFL is a business. They want to maximize revenue. They will look after teams to protect their revenue. ie Collingwood at MCG 18 times per year. We loose.
The AFL need to pay us the extra money because of the reasons above.
Yep. you are correct.

Article says that carscum earns a Million bucks from one blockbuster game at the MCG while the Leagues Paupers', St kilda only earned $2.18 million total from all games played in 2022, including the home game sold to play in Cairns, which in my view cost us more than we earned because it cost us a top 8 place and the chance to play in the finals.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

That's right. They give with one hand and take with the other.

Essendon...great deal at Docklands stadium

Us.... extortion

Collingwood...4 interstate games per year

Us...6 or 7

Geelong...many tens of millions from the Geelong council and the state government

Us.. about one fifth of that

Melbourne, Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton...$20 million a year
from pokies revenue for many years

Us..about 4 million

Why? .because we got stitched up by the Kingston Council

We get the arse end of the fixturing

For those who want to criticise the financial management of our club need to look a lot deeper to see that we have been royally screwed compared to just about every other club over the past 25 years

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 6:48pm That's right. They give with one hand and take with the other.

Essendon...great deal at Docklands stadium

Us.... extortion

Collingwood...4 interstate games per year

Us...6 or 7

Geelong...many tens of millions from the Geelong council and the state government

Us.. about one fifth of that

Melbourne, Hawthorn, Essendon, Carlton...$20 million a year
from pokies revenue for many years

Us..about 4 million

Why? .because we got stitched up by the Kingston Council

We get the arse end of the fixturing

For those who want to criticise the financial management of our club need to look a lot deeper to see that we have been royally screwed compared to just about every other club over the past 25 years
correct.

problem is if we can see it then why cant others?
Or is it people like Grant Thomas, he spoke out, then got ousted by the AFL. Cant bite the hand that feeds you and the AFL has the Saints were they want us. Continually begging for handouts?

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

These BS articles come out each year , and I've had arguments with supporters of the " big " clubs many times. The AFL commission run a fair even competition.
Only problem is since its become the AFL , it's never been a fair and even competition and never will be !
The Fixture each year is made to benefit the big clubs, this of course happens so the people running the game hit all their key performance targets ensuring they all get nice fat bonuses each year .
The pay-off from the fat cats to the smaller clubs is AFL handouts and this is done so we and the others don't spend most of the time moaning about getting reamed .
The only way our club can get off the handout train is to become a bigger club , and this only happens over a long time with success etc... getting more kids wanting to be saints fans . I've lived mostly bayside my life , as a school kid in the 70s and 80s hardly any of my classmates were saints fans . Now days I see lots of little saints fans around. It encourages me that in future more of them will become members, increasing the chances of St kilda becoming a bigger club in the future !

In red white and black from 73
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Did the HS actually use the word "paupers"?

Is that grossness Robbo trying to be a bully.

Perhaps it's true his readership is largely made up of Joffas.

AFL needs to lend HS a couple of real sports journos. And yes, that means Barratt does not qualify.

Can you image Robbo trying to explain the financial complexities of the EPL vis a vis a sporting competition and even playing fields.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

One day, we will own the Junction Oval and we will play there (like Kngs and Queens) and be huge.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saintmike65
Club Player

Unfortunately it’s a catch 22 scenario…the AFL want to maximise attendances, which automatically benefits the big clubs because of their large supporter bases.
We would have had a very strong supporter base had we been remotely successful over the last 50 years a la Hawthorn.
We are a small club that sadly has no voice.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 13 Mar 2023 10:04pm Did the HS actually use the word "paupers"?

Is that grossness Robbo trying to be a bully.

Perhaps it's true his readership is largely made up of Joffas.

AFL needs to lend HS a couple of real sports journos. And yes, that means Barratt does not qualify.

Can you image Robbo trying to explain the financial complexities of the EPL vis a vis a sporting competition and even playing fields.

Yes, they did.

"AFL CLUB STILL A ‘PAUPER’ DESPITE MASSIVE $24M INJECTION"

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well demonstrably ridiculous. And insulting, as was its purpose.
Miffed he hasn't been invited to the inner sanctum for drinks?
No care for credibility these journos; bring back Tom Morris I say, to lift the ethical standards (that's supposed to be facetious, I can't actually name one footy journo that I make a point of reading nowadays.)

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 14 Mar 2023 11:03am Well demonstrably ridiculous. And insulting, as was its purpose.
Miffed he hasn't been invited to the inner sanctum for drinks?
No care for credibility these journos; bring back Tom Morris I say, to lift the ethical standards (that's supposed to be facetious, I can't actually name one footy journo that I make a point of reading nowadays.)
Article written by Jon Ralph , not the fat faqk.

Saints58
Club Player

Now this might sound a bit crazy but why don't we play some games at Moorabbin each year.
Could start with 1 or 2 against GWS,GG which we would only get about 25 thousand about to each year.
Every cent we make is ours and if we put up portable stands around the far side of the ground we could possible get close to 15-20 thousand and we would make more money from that game then at Docklands with 30 thousand.
Make it a members only game the first in it would really go off.
Lets find a point of difference with the saints think outside the square.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saints58 wrote: Wed 15 Mar 2023 10:35pm Now this might sound a bit crazy but why don't we play some games at Moorabbin each year.
Could start with 1 or 2 against GWS,GG which we would only get about 25 thousand about to each year.
Every cent we make is ours and if we put up portable stands around the far side of the ground we could possible get close to 15-20 thousand and we would make more money from that game then at Docklands with 30 thousand.
Make it a members only game the first in it would really go off.
Lets find a point of difference with the saints think outside the square.
No Stadium
No Parking
No Facilities

The parking issue is what got us kicked out of Moorabbin in the first place - until the Bowling Club disappears and we can build a multi story carpark we will NEVER play at Linton Street - hell 5K at Preseason game and most people had to walk a km to the game

Residents of the area used to go out at 10:00 in the morning and come home at 6:30 - because if you didn't you would not be able to get your car out for the entire time. As supporters we were parking ACROSS driveways and also blocking roads in the area for almost all of Saturday.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!