Misson Appointed GM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st sandy
Club Player

Misson Appointed GM

www.afl.com.au/news/876610/saints-settl ... le-returns

I believe a good appointment - more than 20 years of experience within elite sporting teams/industry

Saints settle on GM for 2023, another Lyon disciple returns
David Misson will replace Geoff Walsh as head of football at St Kilda

By Josh Gabelich - 4 hrs ago

David Misson and Ross Lyon at St Kilda training at RSEA Park on November 21, 2022. Picture: Getty Images/AFL Photos
ST KILDA has settled on experienced high performance boss David Misson to replace veteran administrator Geoff Walsh as GM this season, while another familiar face – renowned sports psychologist Dr Sean Richardson – has also returned to the program.

After more than a decade away from Moorabbin, Misson returned to the Saints in November to link up with Ross Lyon for a second stint, initially as performance, medical and operations manager.

But after Walsh's sudden departure in late January due to family reasons, Misson was given the opportunity as acting general manager of football, which will now extend to the end of the season.

Josh Battle, Ross Lyon and Geoff Walsh speak during a St Kilda training session on November 21, 2022. Picture: Getty Images
Misson will be supported across the year by St Kilda's head of AFLW and AFL operations, Tessie McManus, who will combine her responsibilities in leading Nick Dal Danto's women's program with an increased focus on the compliance and administrative requirements in the men's program.

After working as the high performance manager for Cricket Australia at the turn of the century and for the Sydney Swans in the early 2000s, Misson led St Kilda's high performance program for four seasons between 2008 and 2011, playing an important role in the club's rise to two Grand Final appearances (plus the replay) under Lyon.

LIST ANALYSIS Which club has the most All-Australians, top-10 picks?

Misson first crossed paths with Lyon during their time at Sydney and departed St Kilda after the coach's controversial move to Fremantle – the pair has remained tight since then – moving to Melbourne where he spent eight years as the Demons' elite performance manager before relocating to Canada with his wife.

The coronavirus pandemic brought Misson and his wife – who had moved to Toronto for a role as school principal – back to Australia, where he landed a role as head of performance at NRL powerhouse Sydney Roosters, before Lyon convinced him to return to St Kilda.

David Misson during his time at Melbourne in 2012. Picture: AFL Photos
It is understood that Misson has spent the past handful of years focusing on leadership development in preparation for a role such as GM, although the opportunity has come up a bit quicker than first thought.

Misson will still remain involved in the high performance program, but head of performance and conditioning, Nick Walsh, is running that part of the club.

St Kilda will review the role later in the year before making a decision on retaining Misson in the position next season.

With Simon Lethlean moving from a similar position to CEO, David Rath remaining heavily involved in the football program, Graeme Allan moving from an advisory role to head of talent and acquisition and Stephen Silvagni returning to the club as list manager, there are plenty of experienced football operators inside RSEA Park.

Graeme Allan and Stephen Silvagni look on at St Kilda training at RSEA Park on February 1, 2023. Picture: Getty Images/AFL Photos
While club greats Lenny Hayes, Robert Harvey and Brendon Goddard have all settled into roles back at Moorabbin, another familiar face to the program has also returned to the club in recent months.

Dr Richardson is back in red, white and black after working as the club's sports psychologist during Lyon's previous time at the club.

WHERE'S YOUR CLUB AT? Injuries, who's flying, what's new

Since departing, the Canadian has worked as a leadership and performance psychology consultant for Fremantle and Greater Western Sydney, working for the Dockers across Lyon's entire tenure at the West Australian club.

Richardson has been spotted at the club on a regular basis across the pre-season with culture a key part of his remit.

St Kilda will ramp up its preparations for round one when it hosts Melbourne at RSEA Park in match simulation on Friday afternoon, ahead of a second practice match at home seven days later against Essendon.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Misson Appointed GM

Jobs for mates anyone?

happy feet
Club Player

I have appointed people that I knew or were recommended by people I trust and they alost always worked out. I have appointed people the HR Department way and it is almost a raffle, huge risk, many did not work out. I don’t have a problem with this appointment.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Lethlean the philanderer
Lyon the harasser
Wonder what qualifies Misson to join the gang?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:35pm I have appointed people that I knew
Sounds like a conflict of interest.

Not good management practice for obvious reasons.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I don't doubt his pedigree, but he already has a full time role, and a bloody important one, seems like a strange appointment

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 9:19pm

I probably should have said I knew professionally, not personally. After 43 years of working in the public sector in NSW I have a pretty good idea of what is a conflict of interest.

I have seen many people successfully BS their way through interviews and then get that backed up with a glowing reference from an employer who wanted to get rid of them.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 9:21pm I don't doubt his pedigree, but he already has a full time role, and a bloody important one, seems like a strange appointment
Maybe Misson is happy with the way Walsh runs the Phys Ed stuff and wants to move into the next phase of his career.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:42pm Lethlean the philanderer
Lyon the harasser
Wonder what qualifies Misson to join the gang?
He probably does an incredible impersonation as a pillar?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 9:28pm

I probably should have said I knew professionally, not personally. After 43 years of working in the public sector in NSW I have a pretty good idea of what is a conflict of interest.

I have seen many people successfully BS their way through interviews and then get that backed up with a glowing reference from an employer who wanted to get rid of them.
Well, I sure your underlings and plebs below you just loved your hiring process.

I know it happens because that’s the way the world works and I’m sure your preferred candidates were first class apparatchiks, but it’s still not a good practice because of the perceived bias, particularly given that it’s public service and it’s supposed to public monies and all.

You still need to declare that you have worked with the candidates previously and probably step away from the process.

Call me idealistic, but the appointment process should be open, transparent and fair, particularly where public money is concerned.

Governance 101.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/lcdoc ... s%20v2.pdf

happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 9:44pm

Well, I sure your underlings and plebs below you just loved your hiring process.

I know it happens because that’s the way the world works and I’m sure your preferred candidates were first class apparatchiks, but it’s still not a good practice because of the perceived bias, particularly given that it’s public service and it’s supposed to public monies and all.

You still need to declare that you have worked with the candidates previously and probably step away from the process.

Call me idealistic, but the appointment process should be open, transparent and fair, particularly where public money is concerned.

Governance 101.
I don’t like being accused of being dishonest, which is what you have just done. Don’t lecture me on the process and public accountability on the basis of a sentence. I understand the process of transparency, accountability and fairness, but sometimes it does not result in the best appointment. I have lost count of the time I had to recuse myself from an interview panel when I saw the list of applicants.

Your not being idealistic, it’s the way it has to be, but 43 years ago it was quite different.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 10:00pm

Governance 101.
I don’t like being accused of being dishonest, which is what you have just done. Don’t lecture me on the process and public accountability on the basis of a sentence. I understand the process of transparency, accountability and fairness, but sometimes it does not result in the best appointment. I have lost count of the time I had to recuse myself from an interview panel when I saw the list of applicants.

Your not being idealistic, it’s the way it has to be, but 43 years ago it was quite different.
That’s great.

I wrote it wasn’t good hiring practice. I didn’t accuse you of being dishonest.

Hiring people one has worked with previously doesn’t always result in the best appointments either.

https://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/lcdoc ... s%20v2.pdf

By the way, I’m just trying to get my head around how you managed to recuse yourself after hiring people that you knew?

happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 10:20pm

Governance 101.

That’s great.

Hiring people one has worked with previously doesn’t always result in the best appointments either.

By the way, I’m just trying to get my head around how you managed to recuse yourself after hiring people that you knew?
As I said, 43 years ago it was very different, in your next reply go you hardest, I will not respond, you’re not worth the effort.

happy feet
Club Player

Governance 101.

That’s great.

As I said, 43 years ago it was very different, in your next reply go you hardest, I will not respond, you’re not worth the effort.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 10:22pm

Governance 101.

That’s great.

Interesting.

You sound very defensive and come across as very thin skinned.

I thought they were fair questions.

Typical public servant.

Templar
Club Player

st sandy wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:08pmwhile another familiar face – renowned sports psychologist Dr Sean Richardson – has also returned to the program.
Does this mean we are done with the pre-game, pre-quarter, meditation OM routine?

That would be a 4 - 6 goal per game improvement right there?

I'm all fine with the idea of meditation and self-awareness and whatever but I would prefer that pre-bounce the team gather around with Rowan Marshal breaking in with:

Pick up the phone, I'm always home
Call me anytime
Just ring: 3, 6, 2, 4, 3, 6, oi
I lead a life of crime!

And then the rest of the group join in for the chorus.

Siren sounds, the bounce, smash 'em!

Maybe I am too old school.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Wed 22 Feb 2023 8:35pm I have appointed people that I knew or were recommended by people I trust and they alost always worked out. I have appointed people the HR Department way and it is almost a raffle, huge risk, many did not work out. I don’t have a problem with this appointment.
I reckon ‘marrying’ Ross Lyon with this playing group and bringing him back for ‘unfinished business’ (as he called it) will be fascinating.

They are all there with the right intent, but whether they can get along and work together - long term- and bring the best out of each other is another story. It’s like an experiment of sorts with all his old group of players now working with him as a coaching group.

We don’t know what the outcome will be. They have to make a go of it and I think as a united group a lot can be achieved

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

Only an interim appointment at this stage until the end of the year.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Brings back nightmares. 8-)

Tommyj
Club Player

Wouldn't matter who the he'll we hired the negatively on here would be as such

Tommyj
Club Player

Wouldn't matter who the he'll we hired the negatively on here would be as such

Gershwin
Club Player

Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 9:44am Only an interim appointment at this stage until the end of the year.
Yes, this is a bit odd. Why not fill the position now on a permanent basis.

I'm assuming this would be a $150,000+ remuneration and as such would require advertising the position, interviewing external and internal applicants etc. Anything else is dubious practice.

summertime and the living is easy ........
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 11:08am
Viscount Jeremiah wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 9:44am Only an interim appointment at this stage until the end of the year.
Yes, this is a bit odd. Why not fill the position now on a permanent basis.

I'm assuming this would be a $150,000+ remuneration and as such would require advertising the position, interviewing external and internal applicants etc. Anything else is dubious practice.
I wonder if it’s a timing thing in that perhaps the best candidates are at other clubs in acting plans for the season ahead hence it’s a bad time to move?

Just a thought

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 9:30am
I reckon ‘marrying’ Ross Lyon with this playing group and bringing him back for ‘unfinished business’ (as he called it) will be fascinating.

They are all there with the right intent, but whether they can get along and work together - long term- and bring the best out of each other is another story. It’s like an experiment of sorts with all his old group of players now working with him as a coaching group.

We don’t know what the outcome will be. They have to make a go of it and I think as a united group a lot can be achieved
I agree, it will indeed be most fascinating to see how the "Lyonisation" of St Kilda's off-field personnel in 2023 will work out.

It will prove to be either sheer genius or utter foolishness, I'm tipping the former...

However, if this 'experiment' fails it will be seen as one of the greatest fiascos in the history of both our footy club and the AFL, unprecedented, the screaming headlines will be scathing and lead to a bloodbath of enormous proportions!!

Malcolm Blight in 2001 proclaimed Saints supporters were in for a hell of a ride with him in charge.

That of course turned out to be a fizzer.

Looking at the events that have unfolded at Moorabbin since October 2022, I reckon we are now definitely in for that 'hell of a ride'!!!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 1:30pm
Scollop wrote: Thu 23 Feb 2023 9:30am

I agree, it will indeed be most fascinating to see how the "Lyonisation" of St Kilda's off-field personnel in 2023 will work out.

It will prove to be either sheer genius or utter foolishness, I'm tipping the former...

However, if this 'experiment' fails it will be seen as one of the greatest fiascos in the history of both our footy club and the AFL, unprecedented, the screaming headlines will be scathing and lead to a bloodbath of enormous proportions!!

Malcolm Blight in 2001 proclaimed Saints supporters were in for a hell of a ride with him in charge.

That of course turned out to be a fizzer.

Looking at the events that have unfolded at Moorabbin since October 2022, I reckon we are now definitely in for that 'hell of a ride'!!!
I f****** hope so. :wink: 8-) :lol: