Intra club game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Intra club game

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 11:46am There are numerous players that will be playing for their careers:

Jones, Bytel, Byrnes, Connelly, Allison, Cambell are all under the pump.
I would’ve included Billings if not for him still having another 3 years on his contract.
Another is D Mac, not through lack of form but his prolonged calf issue is very concerning.
Agree but I don't think a contract will save Billings, they mean very little, I actually think he's the most under the pump because of his 3 year contract, you can't set the right culture if you have a high DP senior player like Billings who is just idling a long, sends the wrong message. I'm expecting Ross to be incredibly hard on him, hoping even.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 11:46am There are numerous players that will be playing for their careers:

Jones, Bytel, Byrnes, Connelly, Allison, Cambell are all under the pump.
I would’ve included Billings if not for him still having another 3 years on his contract.
Another is D Mac, not through lack of form but his prolonged calf issue is very concerning.
Not Allison, or not yet anyway as he is contracted to the end of next year.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Jack B's debilitating back injury seriously impacted his ability to play. To describe those circumstances as idling is defamatory. Vortex would not dare say such to Jack's face. Or front Cooper S with any of the sniping tosh he goes on with here. Disgraceful contribution, but sadly in character.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 12:14pm Jack B's debilitating back injury seriously impacted his ability to play. To describe those circumstances as idling is defamatory. Vortex would not dare say such to Jack's face. Or front Cooper S with any of the sniping tosh he goes on with here. Disgraceful contribution, but sadly in character.
So SM65 says he's playing for his career and under the pump is ok, I articulate it another way and you spit out your false teeth, oh well I suppose everyone needs a villain to channel their feigned rage at. I'm happy to be that person for you as long as it keeps the bandwidth ticking over which I might add has slowed to a very small trickle thanks to the private message gang.

Freebird
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 12:54pm
Yorkeys wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 12:14pm Jack B's debilitating back injury seriously impacted his ability to play. To describe those circumstances as idling is defamatory. Vortex would not dare say such to Jack's face. Or front Cooper S with any of the sniping tosh he goes on with here. Disgraceful contribution, but sadly in character.
So SM65 says he's playing for his career and under the pump is ok, I articulate it another way and you spit out your false teeth, oh well I suppose everyone needs a villain to channel their feigned rage at. I'm happy to be that person for you as long as it keeps the bandwidth ticking over which I might add has slowed to a very small trickle thanks to the private message gang.
It's sad you spending most of your life on here Vortex...if you only had some words that were positive you would have friends and would not have to spend your time on an oppositions forum.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Yeah yeah Vortex, you are all piss wind and bile from your keyboard but you would crap yourself if you were invited by the players to give your criticisms to them in person. Grub. I saw them close up yesterday, fine young professional athletes. Well above your classlessness.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Like I said before..it is getting very tedious

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Killa
Club Player

Billings is a class footballer

An area of improvement for St Kilda in 2023 is the addition of 3 top 10 Draft Picks to the line up, being Billings, Clark and Coffield

Then, during the season we see the return of another top 10 Draft Pick in King

Plus there is our top 10 Draft Pick into his first season

In regards the derogatory comment of one contributor, given the sheer volume of contributions to this Forum (and others?), perhaps that contributor should leave his bedroom and his laptop and get a life

We need Billings fit - as with Clark, Coffield, King, Gresham and others whose injuries have cost us so dearly over recent years

Before we get to the youth on our List

And those recruited from other Clubs so Howard,Steele, Membrey, Hill, Jones, Crouch all very capable footballers

As I have put on this site before, what we do need to make progress is support for King, Howard and Marshall and where we have youth starting with Adams and Heath plus those more recently drafted

We now have 11 players on our List over 196cm

So we look forward

As I am sure Lyon and his staff are

When any new Coach comes in all seek to make impression and to carve out their reputation with the powers that be

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 1:45pm Yeah yeah Vortex, you are all piss wind and bile from your keyboard but you would crap yourself if you were invited by the players to give your criticisms to them in person. Grub. I saw them close up yesterday, fine young professional athletes. Well above your classlessness.
Well said.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 11:35am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 Feb 2023 9:44pm We don't need to win a lot more games to improve. We just need to bridge the gap between our good wins and our bad losses.
To do that, you need a system and 35 players committed to the process. Thats what we need to achieve this year.
Doesn't mean you will win, but it means you will need to be beaten, not just roll-over.
Kicking a winning score is going to be our biggest issue all season, despite predictions King coming back in the first month I'd say based on averages for shoulder reconstructions he's unlikely to get back for R12. My guess is the second half of the year our forward line might start to look a little more productive, going to be ugly early.
% of about 90, 6 wins and a draw, would be a perfect season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Skills will be an issue we know this - Lyon given 4 years ….hello??
Players will need to be turned over to improve that
I don’t expect finals this
I expect weeks where we might look ok
Others where we’ll go…have we gone backwards??
Improvements won’t be linear
I’m mostly looking at which kids Will make it
Whose on the chop block
I expect reasonable turn over to continue end year.
It’s in the next 18 months we see the major differences imo

“Yeah….nah””
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 2:58pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 17 Feb 2023 9:44pm We don't need to win a lot more games to improve. We just need to bridge the gap between our good wins and our bad losses.
To do that, you need a system and 35 players committed to the process. Thats what we need to achieve this year.
Doesn't mean you will win, but it means you will need to be beaten, not just roll-over.
Kicking a winning score is going to be our biggest issue all season, despite predictions King coming back in the first month I'd say based on averages for shoulder reconstructions he's unlikely to get back for R12. My guess is the second half of the year our forward line might start to look a little more productive, going to be ugly early.
% of about 90, 6 wins and a draw, would be a perfect season.
Probably around the mark if we don't start having some luck with injuries.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

To the sensitive and angry brigade, please find the foe button. The fact the same posters keep going out of their way to have a crack is equally boring and tedious, the children call it baiting and trolling but personally it's water of a ducks back but you get my drift.

If you can't find the foe button please reach out to St.Byron for assistance.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Another fine thread ruined.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

So based on you lot's observation, would you say JBillings in gonna be ready and firing 100% for Round One? (Oh..and Coff too?)

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 4:21pm So based on you lot's observation, would you say JBillings in gonna be ready and firing 100% for Round One? (Oh..and Coff too?)
I don’t think any player with serious injury concerns or those in recovery were taking part in the full contact drills

Both Billings and Nick were taking part in full match simulation, so at this stage it would be a definite yes.

Coff landed heavily after attempting a very good contested mark. Got up very high and got slightly tunnelled which caused him to land awkwardly on his neck. He seemed ok, as he got up straight away and walked off to the centre of the ground

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 4:34pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 4:21pm So based on you lot's observation, would you say JBillings in gonna be ready and firing 100% for Round One? (Oh..and Coff too?)
I don’t think any player with serious injury concerns or those in recovery were taking part in the full contact drills

Both Billings and Nick were taking part in full match simulation, so at this stage it would be a definite yes.

Coff landed heavily after attempting a very good contested mark. Got up very high and got slightly tunnelled which caused him to land awkwardly on his neck. He seemed ok, as he got up straight away and walked off to the centre of the ground
Great news (touch wood)

If JB's body holds together, it could be another Jack Sinclair fairytale. After all these years, and the glimpses of brilliance in 2015 or whenever. JB and HunterC! The pair of them..could they? Imagine!

And then if Coff is solid, suddenly we look half decent again..even without a proper forward line.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 18 Feb 2023 4:10pm Another fine thread ruined.
Yep, again

spert
Saintsational Legend

Agree there.. even with King in the team last season, we were 15th in the comp for scoring, and mainly due to the midfield and forward line not working well together...partly a coaching issue too.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is easily in the best 18

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 8:28am
Agree there.. even with King in the team last season, we were 15th in the comp for scoring, and mainly due to the midfield and forward line not working well together...partly a coaching issue too.
What we will get is a good look at seeing if the 2017 Richmond model still works in 2023.

Footskills and finding space and moving the ball quickly will need to be key components you'd think and has been how they've been training, but good footskills still allude many which is a concern.

With Hill coming back to the wing there should be some improvement with delivery into F50 and the occasional probing goal from long range.

But will that be enough, can see Stocker being trialled through the midfield due to his good foot skills on both sides and his ability to find the ball, Hunter falls into that category too.

Can't wait for the real stuff to start and get away from this weird summer of love by some supporters and get a real feel for where it's going to be at.

stkfc1
Club Player

Personally I'm not putting high expectations on this season.
It will take a year or 2 to fine tune new game plan and we have a host of players coming back from injury or will be. We still need 2 to 3 A graders to be a threat. There is still too many ball use hacks on the list for my liking.

What I want to see is

Competitiveness (No blow outs)
Improvement of younger players. We need those A graders!!
Finding an unexpected player that takes his game to a new level.
No major injuries. 🤞
A real sense of gameplan and a plan B when things aren't going according to plan.
The long bomb malaise, that has been the frustration of us all for a few seasons now, become a thing of the past and better connection going forward.
Be a team that makes other teams earn a win. Crash and bash. Get some respect from the rest of the comp.
Improvement of kicking skills.
Finals are a bonus but if we miss out, so be it.

Think it will be a year of ups and downs. We'll beat teams we shouldn't and loose to team we shouldnt but so long as it's an upwards projectory, I'll be happy.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I have high expectations

lloyd21
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 9:30am
What we will get is a good look at seeing if the 2017 Richmond model still works in 2023.

Footskills and finding space and moving the ball quickly will need to be key components you'd think and has been how they've been training, but good footskills still allude many which is a concern.

With Hill coming back to the wing there should be some improvement with delivery into F50 and the occasional probing goal from long range.

But will that be enough, can see Stocker being trialled through the midfield due to his good foot skills on both sides and his ability to find the ball, Hunter falls into that category too.

Can't wait for the real stuff to start and get away from this weird summer of love by some supporters and get a real feel for where it's going to be at.
Agree think it’s just getting games into the kids saying goodbye to guys to use Sam Mitchell’s philosophy who won’t
be around when it’s business end of list build …so for mine Webster , Ross , Campbell , thanks for your service …
if Gresham’s manager is asking too much he’s yours Hawthorn rather chase Bergman at Port Adelaide, chase Himmelberg
at Giants as free agent , , Finn Callaghan at Giants …if he wants home otherwise draft ,draft , draft ..

Think Stocker might suprise a few..particularly midfield.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 5:16pm
Vortex wrote: Sun 19 Feb 2023 9:30am

Agree think it’s just getting games into the kids saying goodbye to guys to use Sam Mitchell’s philosophy who won’t
be around when it’s business end of list build …so for mine Webster , Ross , Campbell , thanks for your service …
if Gresham’s manager is asking too much he’s yours Hawthorn rather chase Bergman at Port Adelaide, chase Himmelberg
at Giants as free agent , , Finn Callaghan at Giants …if he wants home otherwise draft ,draft , draft ..

Think Stocker might suprise a few..particularly midfield.
I can't see how Cambell gets a game ahead of Heath this year in any circumstance. If that happens then we are wasting time wtih Heath so hopefully he can crack into the side early.