NWM in defence.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

NWM in defence.

Playing NWM in defence is a mistake IMHO.

Just like Hill he is an attacking player and will be found out when required to defend. And half-back is not just about rebounding and attacking. He is a young kid who has probably never played a competitive match in that position and every opposition coach will aim to exploit him.

And it is not as if we don’t need a classy wingman. He and Hill could provide great drive from that position.

I really hope that it is just a pre-season exercise.

summertime and the living is easy ........
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: NWM in defence.

must admit seeing NWM in defence puzzled me

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Have you seen Salem Saad Duncan defend?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Banger9798
SS Life Member

I tend to agree with the OP, I'm a bit dubious.
I can't remember him sticking a tackle last year, but I can remember multiple times he was fended off easily.
He would want to have put on some muscle.
On the upside, his run and carry and his foot skills will be a real weapon when he gets the ball.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Knowing Roscoe he wants excellent delivery off half back. Question is can NWM get enough of the ball at this early stage.

As for minding an opponent, he’d probably be regarded as the loose man in defence.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He played half back in the SANFL reserves, against men, at 17. He is now 19 and has been playing against men ever since. He sticks 2 tackles every week and he also takes a few marks. He is a natural half back and will probably play multiple possession football from half back because he has the pace, endurance and a natural ability to do so. Averaging 14 disposals in his first season, he was going to get attention on the wing anyway. With rotations and a permanent 7th in defence, he will be fine.
He is an outside, uncontested ball winner but he is not inept at contested ball. He is also not easily thrown out of the way. He is more likely to play the man than the ball on the inside and does it ok.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 8:47am Playing NWM in defence is a mistake IMHO.

Just like Hill he is an attacking player and will be found out when required to defend. And half-back is not just about rebounding and attacking. He is a young kid who has probably never played a competitive match in that position and every opposition coach will aim to exploit him.

And it is not as if we don’t need a classy wingman. He and Hill could provide great drive from that position.

I disagree - I see it as the possible making of him. He is different to Hill in that he is good in the air and showed last year he was brave in going back with the flight to spoil in defence. If he can learn to hold his own physically, it make him all the better player when and if he is moved back to a wing or HFF. Having his and Sinclairs kicking skills off the HBF will be a real weapon.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Nas has looked right at home in defence & his run & carry plus pin point kicking has been a feature.
He’s now a bit stronger & has grown a bit taller..I expect him to be an important player, along with Windhager, Owens and Phillipou.

wally
Club Player

Is it possible that he is playing in defence to make him more rounded as a player ? If the defensive side previously was lacking now he would be fast tracking his development also would appreciate what it’s like coming out of the backline and how players up field should present.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Like the idea of an attacking HBF

His field kicking is electric, his goal kicking yet to be proven. I think he’ll get there and suspect nerves got to him in year 1 but he was a touch shaky in front of the sticks

Most importantly, sign him

I feel like every time there is social media / media with him (and there’s a lot) it will be announced…sadly to no avail at this stage

#1 Ryder fan
Gershwin
Club Player

Good comments in this thread. I appreciate it.

Just think that he could be such a weapon off the wing where he has the space and a little less need to defend. Good kicking to our forwards is so important.

Just hope he has a great season, but if he struggles in defence you will hear from me.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 4:53pm
Gershwin wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 8:47am Playing NWM in defence is a mistake IMHO.

I disagree - I see it as the possible making of him. He is different to Hill in that he is good in the air and showed last year he was brave in going back with the flight to spoil in defence. If he can learn to hold his own physically, it make him all the better player when and if he is moved back to a wing or HFF. Having his and Sinclairs kicking skills off the HBF will be a real weapon.
You beat me to it. Both yourself and CQ have outlined the qualities that will see him grow in the position

I think he will defend when required and he'll do it better than Hill. I think we have to blood him as a half back flanker if we want to build a top 4 capable squad

He was rated a top 10 draft pick at 18 years of age for very good reason. We have to think about where we want the team to be in 2024-2025

NWM's growth is important as far as St Kilda's chances of becoming a top 4 team are concerned

Another consideration perhaps, could be that St Kilda want Nas to feel that he is an integral part of the team going forward (thereby increasing our chances of securing him beyond 2023). Making him a play maker the way Sinclair grew in that role could be the plan

B.M
Saintsational Legend

HB = the most attacking position on the ground - and the easiest

Wing = the hardest running position (they have to work back into defence)

Midfield = the most brutal - need endurance, power and strength

Small forward = need to be able to defend

HF = push up the ground and work back on turnover. Not a rewarding position - lot of unrewarded running

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Mon 13 Feb 2023 5:20pm Is it possible that he is playing in defence to make him more rounded as a player ? If the defensive side previously was lacking now he would be fast tracking his development also would appreciate what it’s like coming out of the backline and how players up field should present.
More than possible, last year towards the end he was playing just outside stoppages at half back. I'd add that we may see him advance from hb to midfield at some stage of the year and I'm sure he will follow the ball out of defence as well.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I don't care where he plays, just as long as it's at St Kilda in 2024.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Maybe looked at to get Sinclair in the midfield

Killa
Club Player

Coffield, at 191cm, will take one back flank

So we will have a couple of tall and talented young defenders who can compete overhead, run and dispose

Where do Clark and Sinclair fit in?

Who are they working with pre-season?

Hopefully we see Paton at his best, 2022 being a come back year from a badly broken leg so now with better strength and more confidence

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Clark fwd. Billing& Clark fwd: an opposition nightmare.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Footskills out of the backline are critical for breaking lines and angles. Will play on the wing when Hill retires.