Training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training

The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 4:17pm Well I’m so glad RTB is in charge now. He’ll whip these boys into shape

Can’t imagine how far they would have dropped if we hadn’t made the big change
Thanks for the laugh

I thought Yorkeys was the funny man sprouting positive feel good statements on the site

Seems it's now a team effort

In all seriousness, tell us how far you think they would have dropped...and inversely, tell us how far they will rise in 2-3-4 or whatever years (or whatever timeline you want) and it'll be interesting to look back on this little period of post 'big change' optimism

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 9:57pm
bobmurray wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 9:37pm Hopefully the "new" list management team have been instructed to concentrate on elite ball users when adding to the playing list, otherwise, we may as well employ a BF poster as our list manager. :lol: :lol:
I think we have one here on SS 😁
Yes, "an i have done nothing", expert.

Too bad his egotistical claim to fame has no relevance to the club's fortunes.. :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever have a quality midfield ?
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:04pm
The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 4:17pm Well I’m so glad RTB is in charge now. He’ll whip these boys into shape

Can’t imagine how far they would have dropped if we hadn’t made the big change
Thanks for the laugh

I thought Yorkeys was the funny man sprouting positive feel good statements on the site

Seems it's now a team effort

In all seriousness, tell us how far you think they would have dropped...and inversely, tell us how far they will rise in 2-3-4 or whatever years (or whatever timeline you want) and it'll be interesting to look back on this little period of post 'big change' optimism
glad you are amused.. I'm a giver.

In all seriousness , as I have stated earlier , this was the change we needed at a time where the club appeared stagnant.
I had little or no interest in this season but that has now changed..I'm not the only one that thinks that way.
So a question to you Scollop..were you happy with the way things were going ?
Answer to your question..I reckon we would not have moved up the ladder...now I believe we will...lets book mark this and Go Saints :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:29pm
bobmurray wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 9:37pm Hopefully the "new" list management team have been instructed to concentrate on elite ball users when adding to the playing list, otherwise, we may as well employ a BF poster as our list manager. :lol: :lol:

Too bad his egotistical claim to fame has no relevance to the club's fortunes.. :lol: :lol:
we are on the same page mate ;)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Ratten made an immediate impact as caretaker in 2019

He coached us to finals for the first time in 9 years and a finals win for the first time in 10 years, however...

I wasn't expecting miracles from Ratten the way the rest of you are carrying on since Ross was appointed

You can't hide from your history and a decade of mistakes in your football department. If Ratten was the guy who went for broke with Frawley and McKernan then he never should have been extended

Ratten knew that there were people who needed to be moved on. Lade, McGlynn and others including the heads of our football department were going.

I would have loved to see Ratten continue what he started. I felt exactly the same way when GT was sacked

Let's hope for the club and for all our sakes that history repeats and we get back to finals and success again real soon
Last edited by Scollop on Wed 01 Feb 2023 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:59pm Ratten made an immediate impact as caretaker in 2019

He coached us to finals for the first time in 9 years and a finals win for the first time in 10 years, however...

I wasn't expecting miracles from Ratten the way the rest of you are carrying on since Ross was appointed

You can't hide from your history and a decade of mistakes in your football department. If Ratten was the guy who went for broke with Frawley and McKernan then he never should have been extended

Ratten knew that there were people who needed to be moved on. Lade, McGlynn and others including the heads of our football department were going.

I would have loved to see Ratten continue what he started. I felt exactly the same way when GT was sacked
Im with you..would have loved to see Ratts take us to the next one..love the guy...but I lost faith in him and his game plan..others must have too
I'm still spewing GT got sacked...but for diff reasons..I still had faith in GT.
surely deep down the entrance of Ross has sparked your interest ?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The fact that Lenny, Banger and BJ are there is what excites me. Their hearts are true and they bled for the RWB. They are genuine. There's no fakeness.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 11:10pm The fact that Lenny, Banger and BJ are there is what excites me. Their hearts are true and they bled for the RWB. They are genuine. There's no fakeness.
yep me too.. it's a good package

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Wasnt there but I'd imagine a big part of our game plan is generating turn overs from the opposition.

Given that- high turn overs is both a positive and a negative.

I'd imagine the coaches were more concerned with approach than outcome

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:29pm

Guys, please don't engage in derogatory comments about other posters in the third person. Not in any person. And please don't collude in doing so. Please stick to commentary about the Saints and leave personally derogatory comments aside.
Cheers.

outside66
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:17pm
These training update videos are one of the best additions in social media IMO. Collaborating with fellow sainters to help provide us all with footage and insights that the club simply cannot. Saints TV paving the way for community-based media and intel!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 11:05pm
Scollop wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:59pm Ratten made an immediate impact as caretaker in 2019

Im with you..would have loved to see Ratts take us to the next one..love the guy...but I lost faith in him and his game plan..others must have too
I'm still spewing GT got sacked...but for diff reasons..I still had faith in GT.
Stan Alves is my all time favourite coach.

The loveliest bloke in football and a great coach who had some terrible luck the week of the GF and made a critical mistake on game day. This eventully cost him his job a season later, by a very poorly run club.

The club replaced him with Tim Watson (NFI) and things spiralled from there go figure.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 10:42am
The Fireman wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 11:05pm

Stan Alves is my all time favourite coach.

The loveliest bloke in football and a great coach who had some terrible luck the week of the GF and made a critical mistake on game day. This eventully cost him his job a season later, by a very poorly run club.

The club replaced him with Tim Watson (NFI) and things spiralled from there go figure.
the sacking of Alves totally confused me at the time and I remember thinking that the Club knew best and had something up their sleeve ... alas they were just incompetent but I have a lot more faith in their latest decision.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

What critical mistake did he make game day? I remember the crap personal issues in the week leading up to the GF, but can't remember the critical mistake. I do remember sitting there glum faced whilst Jarman went mental in the last QTR and the funereal walk down Brunton Ave afterwards.

Killa
Club Player

"The Club appeared stagnant"

Across the 2022 Season each of Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager and Owens became first team selections.

To introduce 3 teenage players to your first choice 22 within the one season is stellar.

Then you look at who they have replaced, so there is evolving depth.

This is far removed from the days of recruiting State League players and Frawley and McKernan (each of these 2 for just one season) to give a core of experience.

There is a need for depth, as the 2022 Season informed because we struggled to cover the players unavailable, most particularly Ryder and Hannebery then Coffield, Clark, Steele, Billings, Marshall, Howard, Jones and the list went on and on.

Plus Paton was coming back from a broken leg.

Particularly now we look for the development of our KPP physique juniors, starting with Adams and Heath because they are past their (injury interrupted) initial seasons at the level.

I would not call this development stagnating.

Rattan put the challenge to youth to push aside the older players and to forge their reputations with St Kilda.

And he backed those words up.

There is much contributed to this site which is just pure unadulterated nonsense and with no substance in fact.

And born from frustration at the Club having 1 Premiership across 150 years of competition I would suggest.

18 sides compete (on a not level playing surface I would add)

Only 1 wins the Premiership in any one year.

That is the degree of difficulty - so you build and you build, the first requirement being administration (and look at the history of St Kilda, surviving only down to Lindsay Fox and his "clout" in the business world).

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 11:52am What critical mistake did he make game day? I remember the crap personal issues in the week leading up to the GF, but can't remember the critical mistake. I do remember sitting there glum faced whilst Jarman went mental in the last QTR and the funereal walk down Brunton Ave afterwards.
i was there that day and remember the heartache only too well and that shocking last Qrt

what made it worse was hearing Crow supporters say they had it in the bag 3rd Qrt.

Never been able to bring myself to watch the game again so not sure what Alves did wrong if anything.

When I see that Fatarse Jarman now i still feel ill.

Killa
Club Player

The loss of Everitt and Vidovic was crucial.

Adelaide has Rehn, BOG and who fed the mids eventually allowing for the last quarter and Jarman (with a question as to Shanahan being the match up, Jarman just too mobile in the face of Rehn's dominance and the incoming ball)

Watson was to be Listed by St Kilda having negotiated with them, but Essendon got wind and re-listed him ahead of St Kilda's planned move.

Accordingly, St Kilda felt an obligation to Watson and the rest is history.

Killa
Club Player

And unrelated

Gol Lok, who was on the St Kilda staff and who played with Sandringham, has signed with Norwood in the SANFL

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 1:47pm And unrelated

Gol Lok, who was on the St Kilda staff and who played with Sandringham, has signed with Norwood in the SANFL
And Lienert got an assistant playing coach's role with the Roos VFL side

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

So many things happened that day in 97
There had been a lull in scoring during the 3Rd before loewe marked and lined up from just in inside 50
I remember saying to my brother if he doesn't kick this we won't win
Jarman goes beserk in the last job done
I DoNT think too many people would have stopped him on the day - maybe Burke but that would robbed the centre line
Hindsight? in relation to his future at the Saints - Barry Hall was our only option

Seeya
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I haven't been able to ever watch it again either. As Killa said the loss of both our ruckmen had a massive impact. Nicky's dad died the day before the game and Buckets had a family tragedy as well. The stars didn't align yet we were still in it at 3/4 time. Sigh....

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

In my humble opinion Tony Modra not playing was a huge contributing factor. He plays, Shanners has an opponent. The Crows have their usual game plan etc etc. Horrible day

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Shane Ellis...

:evil: :twisted:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 3:51pm In my humble opinion Tony Modra not playing was a huge contributing factor. He plays, Shanners has an opponent. The Crows have their usual game plan etc etc. Horrible day
I hear what you are saying but Everitt, Vidovic and Smith were huge losses for us.

It was one of the worst days of my life. To make matters worse I had to sit next to a bloke wearing crows gear on a plane immediately after the match.

He had a big grin on his face and I had to resist a nearly overwhelming desire to smash his head through the plane window.

I was glad that Shanahan never got to wear a saints jumper again but extremely sad when Joel signed with the Dorks.

When talking about that loss I am reminded of the young girl with a RW & B painted face who was sitting directly behind me and had tears rolling down those cheeks after the siren sounded.

As I stood up to leave I said to her that we would win it the next year. How f****** wrong was that?