Eyre not offered contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Eyre not offered contract

I guess this means the list is finalised.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/1266339/ ... -list-spot

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Eyre not offered contract

Feel sorry for the kid but it seems the club is showing some due diligence in the selection process

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Good athlete

Probably just not good enough at footy

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 3:00pm Good athlete

Probably just not good enough at footy
:cry:

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Rotten timing for his hammy to ping

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Fair enough, he was worth a look.

Saint supporter since '62
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Not offering a tall a contract sounds like Ross is content to to play a smallish forward line whilst our talls recover from their wounds. Oh well, Ross is the boss.

If he thinks Owens is the answer then he'll be in for a shock.

My take, in all the training sessions i attend, is Mitch has been slaughtered as a Key Forward. As has Van Es.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I dont think he was going to be listed in any event - hopefully then can find a spot for him at Sandringham FC? If he can improve his marking he may be a chance at a later time.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 9:43pm Not offering a tall a contract sounds like Ross is content to to play a smallish forward line whilst our talls recover from their wounds. Oh well, Ross is the boss.

If he thinks Owens is the answer then he'll be in for a shock.

My take, in all the training sessions i attend, is Mitch has been slaughtered as a Key Forward. As has Van Es.
Owens seems to have a bit of a gift for attracting a huge amount of good will. I think it’s because of his attempts to be competitive.

He started ahead of Windy in r1 last year which I thought was odd as Windy IMO was a lot more impressive in the lead up.
Then say compare his output to Coops who has an army of critics despite actually having played some reasonable games far exceeding anything Owens as done to date.

Not knocking the kid… seems to want it bad enough and people want it for him. I don’t quite know what he is yet

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yeah from the sounds of it he wasn't going to be offered a spot, the hammy was just unfortunate timing.

On Owens, he's probably in the same boat as Sharman, could be selected for R1 because of pure desperation, and to increase the height but Owens at least has the potential to bring some grunt and help lock the ball in F50, Owens I think is 193cm? Can't see Members not being no. 1 tall, and Wood is the next obvious but could be robbing Peter to Pay Paul up the ground and between the arcs which is where he excelled last year. I can't see both Sharman and Owens being selected in the same team, that's too much to cover for.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:26pm Yeah from the sounds of it he wasn't going to be offered a spot, the hammy was just unfortunate timing.

On Owens, he's probably in the same boat as Sharman, could be selected for R1 because of pure desperation, and to increase the height but Owens at least has the potential to bring some grunt and help lock the ball in F50, Owens I think is 193cm? Can't see Members not being no. 1 tall, and Wood is the next obvious but could be robbing Peter to Pay Paul up the ground and between the arcs which is where he excelled last year. I can't see both Sharman and Owens being selected in the same team, that's too much to cover for.
Owens is 191 cm, if you want to be factual prior to posting you can check here.

https://www.saints.com.au/players/5305/mitch-owens

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:32pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:26pm Yeah from the sounds of it he wasn't going to be offered a spot, the hammy was just unfortunate timing.

If I'm not 100% sure about a fact I generally will ask a question, questions are easy to identify because they are the sentences that end with a question mark that looks like this ?

If you want to learn about question marks you can visit here:

https://www.thesaurus.com/e/grammar/question-mark/

But yeah Owens is taller than you think huh, isn't he like only 20mm shorter then Roo?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Can Max Heath not slot into a forward role? Yes, hes young, but he did pretty good in the VFL without Campbell. Is he hurt or we just wont consider him because he is potentially the next big man in the middle?

Im really wondering.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Wed 01 Feb 2023 10:32pm

Owens and Sharman have played in the same side; one of the few we won back end of 22.
Robbing Peter and Pay Paul are pay day lenders not AFL entities
Pure Desperation is the pseudonym of the North Melbourne President? Not known in Saintsville.
All Google-able. Like players heights.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 12:30am Can Max Heath not slot into a forward role? Yes, hes young, but he did pretty good in the VFL without Campbell. Is he hurt or we just wont consider him because he is potentially the next big man in the middle?

Im really wondering.
It's a question of him being ready for AFL, he's way off the pace currently, if he doesn't get an opportunity to put his case forward during the practice matches then it could be a long winter at Sandy for the young fella.

Saints58
Club Player

It does worry me a bit that our biggest forward might be Sharman at 193cm Membery at 188cm,can't see Cordy playing forward he didn't do it much at bulldogs and it was not a great move so, with some of the big defenders out there being well over 195cm-200cm it is going to be tough especially as the game wares on with only Marshall as the only ruck we would really struggle.
With Owens not sure how tall he is now there is no updated info on the web site, but he does look bigger and stronger then last year.
Unless we play Marshall as a forward and Campbell in ruck alternating in forward line, not sure if heath is a option or even Van es yes he did get beaten as a forward but with 2-3 other targets there he might be point of difference and will improve.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

I don't think height will be the guiding principle for selectors, meaning they won't go with structure if it means selecting a player like Sharman if he isn't up to it.

What I'd like to see is some media puff pieces by the club to emerge thst are pumping up Sharmans tyres, you know the ones we often see this time of year, comments like, "he's killing it on the training track", he's knocking on the coaches door and demanding he be the number one banana in attack"...bla, bla bla.

Saints58
Club Player

So now we didnt use our last list spot is that the right move because we have so many injury's to the bigs should we have not used it on a KPP we could have asked some other player to train with Eyre and see who was best for us.
There is Oscar McDonald he is delisted from Carlton but at 196cm and 90 games 26 year old he would have been a option he can play either end of the ground and at 90 games must be doing something right, yes he was delisted at Carlton but they have a lot of bigs right now.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 9:34am
SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 12:30am Can Max Heath not slot into a forward role? Yes, hes young, but he did pretty good in the VFL without Campbell. Is he hurt or we just wont consider him because he is potentially the next big man in the middle?

Im really wondering.
It's a question of him being ready for AFL, he's way off the pace currently, if he doesn't get an opportunity to put his case forward during the practice matches then it could be a long winter at Sandy for the young fella.
I felt he had a few good games, agaibst Gold Coast he was excellent and his last game wasnt too bad. He didnt play full matches beyond 3 if I recall? Mostly on the exchange...? I honestly can only remember like 4 vfl games from last year already....my brain wants to forget ladt season completely.

Can you recall if he played many full matches?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Thu 02 Feb 2023 9:34am

Im really wondering.
I felt he had a few good games, against Gold Coast he was excellent and his last game wasn't too bad. He didnt play full matches beyond 3 if I recall? Mostly on the exchange...? I honestly can only remember like 4 vfl games from last year already....my brain wants to forget last season completely.

Can you recall if he played many full matches?

My mate, who clearly has no clue, has seen Barry Hall wearing footy boots AND swearing at a zebra at Melbourne zoo...he thinks a comeback brews....maybe our forward misery has just begun?