Best Available 22 Rnd 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Best Available 22 Rnd 1

The Fireman wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 11:13am
Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 10:00am
The Fireman wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 9:40am
Banger9798 wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 9:37am I don't see why people think Sharman is way of the pace.
The only times he has been tried forward, he has been a success.
He's now fitter than ever, a smart player, a beautiful kick, a good mark....what's not to appreciate?
not people
It's OK to occasionally share some thoughts of your own on footy rather than trolling. I'm hoping St.Byron convinces you to focus on footy.
i was plainly pointing out that most think Sharman is the correct option.
these were my thoughts and as far as StBryon is concerned I'm sure he's keeping a close eye on you.

you can now turn this into a multiple quoted post as you do..but I wont play ball.
Yep and that is the beauty of a "forum", posters are encouraged to voice their opinions but you can do it without the relentless sniping and back biting and baiting, it's just making you look petty and childish.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

#keepitnoice please

Banger9798
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 9:55am
Banger9798 wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 9:37am I don't see why people think Sharman is way of the pace.
He's now fitter than ever, a smart player, a beautiful kick, a good mark....what's not to appreciate?
When it mattered he was way off the pace up forward in the games he played there last year. Meaning his first few games in 2021 were in dead rubbers and the opposition didn't put much work into him which is very common for players who get picked up late and played early. By the time 2022 came around opposition clubs worked out how to easily play him. Very common.

His fitness and endurance was a big issue in his games up forward last year, he had zero ability to defend and lock the ball in the forward line, so much so the opposition were scoring at will with attack created out of our forward line. He also has the turning circle of the titanic, I.e. severe lack of agility which impacts his ability in general play and said ability to help lock the ball in F50.

I'm guessing it's why Ratts thought he'd trial him behind the ball as an interceptor, mainly because it was desperate times at the selection table and partly because Sharman's one wood might work as an intercepting defender, can run fast in straight lines and can jump at the ball.

You need a whole lot more at AFL level than a good mark and kick...way more and that's why I think Lyon being the defensive type will find it hard to select him. But he has had a whole pre season to work on his weakness so let's see.
How many games was he actually tried in the forward line last year?
I seem to remember about 2.
Certainly agree Ratts didn't rate him , but he has worked on his fitness now that he is at least mid level and winning time trials.
Can't say I'd noticed his turning circle issues, but his lead up to the footy is first class

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 12:18pm #keepitnoice please
Probably time Firey put me on ignore which would be the obvious thing to do.

Sanctorum
Club Player

My choice based on players currently available as follows:

FB: PATON - HOWARD - WILKIE
HB: COFFIELD - BATTLE - SINCLAIR
C: HILL - CROUCH - WANGANEEN-MILERA
HF: HIGGINS - WOOD - OWENS
FF: GRESHAM - SHARMAN - MEMBREY
RUCKS: MARSHALL - STEELE - WINDHAGER

I/C: CLARK - PHILLIPOU - CAMPBELL - BUTLER - STOCKER
EMERG: BILLINGS - ROSS - JONES

The obvious weakness in this side is a shortage of talls in attack, which is why I regard Campbell a must as in my team he and Marshall will rotate at CHF.

Maybe Van Es is a possibility, or Cordy, to add height.

There's still more than 7 weeks to go and a lot more training sessions and practice matches to come so there is ample oportunities for every fit player on the list to stake a claim. For example, I have read very little so far about the form of the 2Bs and for all I know both are a chance.

As can be seen, I'm unashamedly a big fan of the 4 latest 'hot' recruits - Windhager, Owens, W-M and Phillipou as they're most emphatically the 'future' for our club, in my view they should all play, subject as always to form......also a few talls that will queue up for a spot in the next 12 months are Heath, Van Es, Adams and Keeler.

One thing's for sure, the future is bright!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who is recovering from an injury and not 100% match proven shouldn't play.

Those coming off LTI's should have a run in the VFL round 1.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Banger9798 wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 12:24pm
When it mattered he was way off the pace up forward in the games he played there last year. Meaning his first few games in 2021 were in dead rubbers and the opposition didn't put much work into him which is very common for players who get picked up late and played early. By the time 2022 came around opposition clubs worked out how to easily play him. Very common.

His fitness and endurance was a big issue in his games up forward last year, he had zero ability to defend and lock the ball in the forward line, so much so the opposition were scoring at will with attack created out of our forward line. He also has the turning circle of the titanic, I.e. severe lack of agility which impacts his ability in general play and said ability to help lock the ball in F50.

I'm guessing it's why Ratts thought he'd trial him behind the ball as an interceptor, mainly because it was desperate times at the selection table and partly because Sharman's one wood might work as an intercepting defender, can run fast in straight lines and can jump at the ball.

You need a whole lot more at AFL level than a good mark and kick...way more and that's why I think Lyon being the defensive type will find it hard to select him. But he has had a whole pre season to work on his weakness so let's see.
Certainly agree Ratts didn't rate him , but he has worked on his fitness now that he is at least mid level and winning time trials.
Can't say I'd noticed his turning circle issues, but his lead up to the footy is first class
Personally I found his use quite frustrating last year. I don’t think anybody suggested that he should have just come in in his second year (1 pre-season) into a depleted forward line against exceptional opposition and be expected to be the one that turns it all around.

That early on he’s supposed to be in a role to compliment the others not be the focal point.

Second year Coops didn’t do that well forward in his 2 or so performances when the deck was stacked heavily against him. It’s given great ammunition off a very limited sample size compared to his earlier games to those that want to perpetrate the overrated ethos but it really wasn’t a fair go.

Was a very St.Kilda over the last 5 years way to go about it

Saintmike65
Club Player

Tommyj wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 8:09pm Idiots what no McKenzie this site is getting worse
A bit harsh, McKenzie has had a calf problem for months!!

Saintmike65
Club Player

1971 wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 10:51pm No real love for Sharman up forward?

Sharman is a monte for round 1.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:34pm

Yep along with Bytel and possibly Byrnes. :wink:

Gershwin
Club Player

Battle needed up forward.
Cordy to play key position defender.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Saintmike65
Club Player

Bytel a possibility but not so sure on Byrnes!

Saintmike65
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 12:42pm My choice based on players currently available as follows:

FB: PATON - HOWARD - WILKIE
HB: COFFIELD - BATTLE - SINCLAIR
C: HILL - CROUCH - WANGANEEN-MILERA
HF: HIGGINS - WOOD - OWENS
FF: GRESHAM - SHARMAN - MEMBREY
RUCKS: MARSHALL - STEELE - WINDHAGER

I/C: CLARK - PHILLIPOU - CAMPBELL - BUTLER - STOCKER
EMERG: BILLINGS - ROSS - JONES

The obvious weakness in this side is a shortage of talls in attack, which is why I regard Campbell a must as in my team he and Marshall will rotate at CHF.

Maybe Van Es is a possibility, or Cordy, to add height.

There's still more than 7 weeks to go and a lot more training sessions and practice matches to come so there is ample oportunities for every fit player on the list to stake a claim. For example, I have read very little so far about the form of the 2Bs and for all I know both are a chance.

As can be seen, I'm unashamedly a big fan of the 4 latest 'hot' recruits - Windhager, Owens, W-M and Phillipou as they're most emphatically the 'future' for our club, in my view they should all play, subject as always to form......also a few talls that will queue up for a spot in the next 12 months are Heath, Van Es, Adams and Keeler.

One thing's for sure, the future is bright!
Although I’m not really a fan, gotta feeling Cordy will be in the side as a lockdown defender.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Is Van Es a chance to debut in round 1?

From all reports he looks like a likely fella.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
lloyd21
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:20pm

Personally I found his use quite frustrating last year. I don’t think anybody suggested that he should have just come in in his second year (1 pre-season) into a depleted forward line against exceptional opposition and be expected to be the one that turns it all around.

That early on he’s supposed to be in a role to compliment the others not be the focal point.

Second year Coops didn’t do that well forward in his 2 or so performances when the deck was stacked heavily against him. It’s given great ammunition off a very limited sample size compared to his earlier games to those that want to perpetrate the overrated ethos but it really wasn’t a fair go.

Agree 100% ..with Sharman when over 3 week period Sharman & King practiced leading out of the goal square in the previous
preseason then Ratts had him playing deep defence which was inexplicable ,then week before the season he had him playing ruck.
Poor kid had no idea what role he was to play…killed his confidence completely and we practiced bombing the ball to the
forward pockets …with King ….
Matched the Battle to wing mindset …which was also idiotic.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:34pm

Should you at least wait until a practice match is played? I'm hoping the coaches do.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Unless Lyon has had a labotomy since he last coached it will be how St Kilda goes about it over the next 4 years, he doesn't let players who are way off the pace learn their craft at AFL level. Sometimes one game is enough to know a player is way off the pace, Sharman was given 2 games and stank it up in both. More often than not you can ruin a players confidence for good if they are played when they aren't ready.

lloyd21
Club Player

Crossy66 wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 11:04pm
older saint wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 5:30pm Obviously we know some injuries and there will be more but what does round 1 look like then? Obviously the unseen players are a huge question mark so they are obviously a guess, probably as is the rest if truth be told.

Here is my guess, what do others look like?

B: Paton, Howard, Wilkie
HB: Coffield,Battle, Sinclair
C: Wood, Steele, Hill
HF: Billings, Owens, Higgins
F: Butler, Membrey, Gresh
Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Ross

Int from: Webster, Windy, Clark, NWM, Campbell, Sharman, Jones,

Inj: King, Hayes, Allison, McKenzie, Hotton, Keeler

Others: Stocker, Brynes, Cordy, Bytel, Phillipou, Adams, Van Es, Highmore, Connolly, McLennan, Heath, Peris.
Not bad, but coff won't play round one, Sharman close to a lock Rd 1
Bytel on training form and Webster ahead of patto

Actually been a few times to training think Windhager will be on the ball game 1.
Steele not in great form and think Bytel pretty strong chance to play on ball …think Steele might be eased
into midfield rotations not covering the ground we’re too slow with Ross, Crouch & Steele …
Think Sinclair will attend some centre bounces as will Clark early games..we are training it that way.
Would have Stocker miles in front of Billings , Gresham .haven’t done the work …
Van Es or Owens likely as tall forward at the moment …too …particularly taken with them both recently as forwards .
that will keep the ball in forward line , will look completely new looking forward entry set up..

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 8:15pm

Unless Lyon has had a labotomy since he last coached it will be how St Kilda goes about it over the next 4 years, he doesn't let players who are way off the pace learn their craft at AFL level. Sometimes one game is enough to know a player is way off the pace, Sharman was given 2 games and stank it up in both. More often than not you can ruin a players confidence for good if they are played when they aren't ready.
Well he certainly let Zac Dawson learn his craft at AFL level and there were plenty of games that Zac stank it up. I think Sharman will get a good shot at proving himself and I hope he succeeds.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 8:40pm

Well he certainly let Zac Dawson learn his craft at AFL level and there were plenty of games that Zac stank it up. I think Sharman will get a good shot at proving himself and I hope he succeeds.
Yeah know Zac's story well, recruited in the 2008 rookie draft and was selected for R1 in 2009 and then stank it up for 20 games out of 22 H&A games, I think the only games he missed was through suspension?, might of stank it up in the final series that year also.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Best available...
Stop training now so everyone's available

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Killa
Club Player

Sharman in a side with King and Membrey - and Ryder and Marshall pushing forward

When he debuted it was because we barely had 22 fit players to choose from

And when he came in last year it was again because of the injury list

And our lack of height in defence as it turned out

The game he played at Geelong was quite reasonable given the circumstances and the opposition (and we were in it at half time, but it was a Saturday night at Geelong so daunting for any side)

His leap allowed him to punch and he took a couple of good marks

Not so effective at ground level but he was there to compete in the air, principally

Which he did

From here?

We will see what the practice matches deliver - as with many players

We need numbers to support our class, starting with Marshall who is our most important player

Templar
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Tue 31 Jan 2023 6:49pm Battle needed up forward.
Cordy to play key position defender.
Not that again damnit!

I reckon chuck Cordy up fwd and tell him "wanna play this year? kick some goals"

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Didn't know they had a new nickname for Zaine

Chuck Cordy

That's good I like it

Killa
Club Player

The "best" 22 will evolve, thru the preseason and practice games and then thru the season (contingent on progression and injuries)

In terms of the preseason, I would be looking at the fitness of Coffield, Jones, Gresham, Steele, Clark, Billings, Higgins, McKenzie, Marshall, Wood, Howard and Paton, all of whom had interrupted 2022 Seasons due to injury including carrying injury (and in Paton's case returning from a broken leg) and all of whom are vital to any success St Kilda may have in 2023.

So are these players tracking in a manner suggesting we will (fingers crossed) get full seasons from them, providing our core on a regular basis?

Then I would be looking at the preseason of Byrnes and Bytel, both at the stage where they should be in serious contention for regular AFL spots.

I would look at the preseasons of Wanganeen-Milera, Owen and Windhager, along with Peris and Phillipou, because their development and contributions will be central to 2023.

Anyone else from those we have Drafted and recruited will be icing on the cake (including Cordy and Stocker)

Particularly, and very particularly, I would look at the preseasons of Adams, Van Es, Allison (now curtailed), Keeler and Heath, because of their physiques and any ability to give the required support to Marshall, Howard and King.

Training Reports focusing on the foregoing would be appreciated.

And, of course, any progress with King ahead of his awaited return.

I would see the experienced Marshall (named first for a reason, then no particular order), Wilkie, Howard, Paton, Sinclair, Battle, Hill, Steele, Crouch, Billings, Membrey, King, Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Higgins and Jones as near as to certain in a full strength side, then a contest.

Noting the focus on the players named in the preamble.

And, if any of those 17 can be pushed out, so much the better.

What these names do suggest is that we are building some vital depth.