South Gippsland Support

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

South Gippsland Support

We are thinking of moving to South Gippsland - are there any supporter groups down there for the Away games etc

Don't worry - you don't need to reveal your secret Saintsational identity!

We will still be going to the home games - but would be interested if someone put on big screens etc for the Away games.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Saintmike65
Club Player

Re: South Gippsland Support

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 8:58am We are thinking of moving to South Gippsland - are there any supporter groups down there for the Away games etc

We will still be going to the home games - but would be interested if someone put on big screens etc for the Away games.
Perhaps contact AFL Gippsland..they should be able to help.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 11:52am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 8:58am We are thinking of moving to South Gippsland - are there any supporter groups down there for the Away games etc

Perhaps contact AFL Gippsland..they should be able to help.
I think that they are mostly for grass roots footy things - just looking for some sanity in the hills - lol!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to the St Kilda diaspora! I will start a website channel called ‘Satellite Saints’, for those of us ‘out of orbit’..though I suppose this website is for that too.
Lived in Korumburra a couple of years as a toddler. My first memories..Dem green rolling hills of the Streckli range (can’t spell Polish, or Emglish) Buy a nice heater.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

South Gippy is a big place - where are you headed?

We have a place at sandy point - you can def finds games on a Sunday at most pubs in the leongatha / korumburra / fish creek / foster areas. Not dedicated to saints just pubs that enjoy footy!

Saturdays are reserved for local footy which is a pretty good standard - bass coast league and one other that I can’t remember are both high standard and great fun to go to. Nothing like a couple of cans by the bin fire watching the locals slug it out in the mud!!

#1 Ryder fan
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 8:51am South Gippy is a big place - where are you headed?

We have a place at sandy point - you can def finds games on a Sunday at most pubs in the leongatha / korumburra / fish creek / foster areas. Not dedicated to saints just pubs that enjoy footy!

Saturdays are reserved for local footy which is a pretty good standard - bass coast league and one other that I can’t remember are both high standard and great fun to go to. Nothing like a couple of cans by the bin fire watching the locals slug it out in the mud!!
Possibly Korumburra

― Aristophanes

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

South Gippsland covers Westernport to the Ninety Mile Beach. Message me if you want to be a little more specific.

Saint supporter since '62
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 10:42am South Gippsland covers Westernport to the Ninety Mile Beach. Message me if you want to be a little more specific.
Possibly Korumburra

― Aristophanes

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 12:13pm
Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 10:42am South Gippsland covers Westernport to the Ninety Mile Beach. Message me if you want to be a little more specific.
Possibly Korumburra
There is a link to supporter groups on the Club's membership website. It appears there is a paucity of info about regional Victorian groups, I'd be contacting the membership department for more info. I used to be a member of a group based in Sale in the late 90's put together by the late Bill Young but it dissipated as he got older. Lakes Entrance had a very active group and ran a bus to home games picking up supporters along the way - a lively trip home after a win.

I reckon a call from you to the membership department with a gentle prod to canvas members by geographic areas might be the catalyst for something positive.

Good luck with Korumburra. Cold, wet and miserable winters bring back memories of Moorabbin home games. :D

Saint supporter since '62
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 2:00pm
Possibly Korumburra
There is a link to supporter groups on the Club's membership website. It appears there is a paucity of info about regional Victorian groups, I'd be contacting the membership department for more info. I used to be a member of a group based in Sale in the late 90's put together by the late Bill Young but it dissipated as he got older. Lakes Entrance had a very active group and ran a bus to home games picking up supporters along the way - a lively trip home after a win.

I reckon a call from you to the membership department with a gentle prod to canvas members by geographic areas might be the catalyst for something positive.

Good luck with Korumburra. Cold, wet and miserable winters bring back memories of Moorabbin home games. :D
It's a nice town I remember..

It was cold in the winter, but Mum told me it was cold in the winter.

It is dairy country, a bit New Zealandary. Of course, I was about 4 when I left so my judgment is pure.

Annual rainfall :661mm
Days of sunshine : 180

Compared to Melbourne. Moorabbin

Moorabbin South east subs: 680mm
Melb SE 180

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 10:02am
MC Gusto wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 8:51am South Gippy is a big place - where are you headed?

Possibly Korumburra
Lovely area, Mirboo North worth a look too

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 29 Jan 2023 7:51pm

Possibly Korumburra
I have great memories of Mirboo North. Great little spot and a cracker of a brewery at the end of the strip. Every second beer was free back in the day.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 9:15am

Possibly Korumburra
I have great memories of Mirboo North. Great little spot and a cracker of a brewery at the end of the strip. Every second beer was free back in the day.
Isn't free beer always associated with great memories.

Speaking of spots around Oz, just had some friends move to Harvey Bay and are not enjoying it as they are saying it has been overrun with an unsavoury demographic that like the drugs too much, do you experience any poor neighbours? I always thought it was a sleepy hollow for retirees? But I probably only see see the place from a visitors perspective.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

At least get the spelling right. I think you are referring to Hervey Bay.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 10:00am

Possibly Korumburra

Speaking of spots around Oz, just had some friends move to Harvey Bay and are not enjoying it as they are saying it has been overrun with an unsavoury demographic that like the drugs too much, do you experience any poor neighbours? I always thought it was a sleepy hollow for retirees? But I probably only see see the place from a visitors perspective.
If you moved to Hervey Bay and priced and sold houses to avoid living around unsavoury types, you are placing your values in the wrong markets.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 11:33am
Vortex wrote: Mon 30 Jan 2023 10:00am

Possibly Korumburra

If you moved to Hervey Bay and priced and sold houses to avoid living around unsavoury types, you are placing your values in the wrong markets.
Yeah I just found it hard to believe becaue whenever I visit Harvi Bay all I see is a lovely place.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I think Korumburra could be a bit of a hidden gem. It might be a bit like Dayelsford one day..and desirable.
Far nicer than the La Trobe valley.
Close to the coastal hamlets down south.
Close to Wothaggi, Western port, Philip Island, Wilson's Prom.
Big enough to have amenities and close enough to Melbourne to make it convenient. (especially as Melbourne expands)
But it is off the beaten track enough to avoid the drudgery of the eastern Casey suburban splurge, with its bland 'affordable' developments. (not knocking the Berwicks and Pakenhams..etc.

Sometimes the closure of industry actually helps a town.

It once had a coal mine, like Wonthaggi. Fed the VR steam trains I think.

Mid-60s, the butter factory closed. Leongatha managed to keep theirs and was always about 1K ahead in population.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Possibly Korumburra
Coal Creek and Mill Valley Ranch! Happy memories!!

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.