Joyce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joyce

Ex saint given 12 months contract with the Lions.

I wish him well.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/873199/anot ... r-signs-on

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Joyce

saynta wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 2:02pm Ex saint given 12 months contract with the Lions.

I wish him well.

I have a son who lives in Brisbane (Westside) and gets down to some Lions training from time to time.

He said Joyce was playing wing in match sim and trained with the mids and defenders groups.

Maybe they intend to try him in different roles to key defender.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 10:26am
saynta wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 2:02pm Ex saint given 12 months contract with the Lions.

I wish him well.

I have a son who lives in Brisbane (Westside) and gets down to some Lions training from time to time.

He said Joyce was playing wing in match sim and trained with the mids and defenders groups.

Maybe they intend to try him in different roles to key defender.
Good on Brisbane for trying to maximise Joyce's potential, the Saints wouldn't have been savvy enough to try that, just ask Hind.

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Just to clarify re the Hind comment.

We're pointing to a hbf who wasn't close to AA selection and was an average contributor to 15th placed Essendon?

I'm happy he has continued his career but which of the potential half backs below would he get a game ahead of at St Kilda.

Sinclair
Coffield
Milera
Hill
(Insert Hind here imo)
Connolly

5th in line and 28 years old if was here. Pretty sure people would be complaining about list cloggers.

Joyce is not AFL best 22 standard. Perhaps something left field works for the lions but he is likely just handy depth.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:38pm Just to clarify re the Hind comment.

We're pointing to a hbf who wasn't close to AA selection and was an average contributor to 15th placed Essendon?

I'm happy he has continued his career but which of the potential half backs below would he get a game ahead of at St Kilda.

Sinclair
Coffield
Milera
Hill
(Insert Hind here imo)
Connolly

5th in line and 28 years old if was here. Pretty sure people would be complaining about list cloggers.

Joyce is not AFL best 22 standard. Perhaps something left field works for the lions but he is likely just handy depth.
HInd is an easy second o that list based on season '21
Season '22, not so, but I would say,
Sinclair
Hill and Hind
the rest...

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Probably fair but putting a list managers hat on.

If we hypothetically traded any of the players I listed in a direct swap for hind would any of them be considered a good trade?

I don't think so. Like the kid and glad he has kicked on but again don't see his success at Essendon as something to knock our club about.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Gershwin
Club Player

I think Joyce looks much better at training than in a match, and it may be a result of not playing Australian Rules growing up.

Can’t say I want him to be successful at Brisbane, but that’s just because I am getting sour in my old age.

summertime and the living is easy ........
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 11:38pm Just to clarify re the Hind comment.

Sinclair
Coffield
Milera
Hill
(Insert Hind here imo)
Connolly

Joyce is a MINIMUM wage contributor. He is playing football because it's more fun that being an electrician.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 7:23am Probably fair but putting a list managers hat on.

If we hypothetically traded any of the players I listed in a direct swap for hind would any of them be considered a good trade?

I don't think so. Like the kid and glad he has kicked on but again don't see his success at Essendon as something to knock our club about.
List management wise…

Stick him on a HBF and thrown compare his contribution to what Hill produced in that position and juxtapose that with what it cost to get him.

Hind, Acres, possibly Serong vs Hill

Killa
Club Player

Hind was one of a number of experienced players bought in from State leagues to fill a demographic deficiency on our List

Only Wilkie remains, the mid aged demographic now covered by Draft picks starting from Billings to Clark and Coffield et al

Hind got opportunity at St Kilda, and played one decent game, kicking some goals

As a small defender he was (very easily) surpassed by Clark, Coffield and Paton (refer my earlier comment)

Plus Sinclair and Hill were moved back

Hind would not get a game at St Kilda

He went back to Essendon for opportunity

Joyce was given opportunity but was obviously not an answer to the support we need for Howard - so with youngsters of the required physique now on our List his opportunities at St Kilda further deteriorated

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 28 Jan 2023 9:50am

Sinclair
Coffield
Milera
Hill
(Insert Hind here imo)
Connolly

Joyce is a MINIMUM wage contributor. He is playing football because it's more fun that being an electrician.
Electricians get gang tackled, train like Olympians and have to turn up on time?
Plus sparkeys get squillions. I reckon he just likes Qld weather.