Training today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Training today

diddley wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 7:41am
Vortex wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 9:06pm
The Fireman wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 8:58pm ok seems we have a few on here now that go to training.
Please enlighten me as to where you think our skill levels sit overall ?
On a scale of 1 to 10, my guess is about 7-8
Just for reference, which team runs at 10 for skills?
No team runs at 10, but many top 4 sides run in the low 9s towards the middle and latter part of a season and reach around the mid 9s as in the final 2 weeks of tbe finals.

7-8 is well off the pace because we have low depth of quality on our list which drags the numbers down.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 7:49am
The Fireman wrote: Tue 24 Jan 2023 8:58pm ok seems we have a few on here now that go to training.
No team runs at 10, but many top 4 sides run in the low 9s towards the middle and latter part of a season and reach around the mid 9s as in the final 2 weeks of tbe finals.

7-8 is well off the pace because we have low depth of quality on our list which drags the numbers down.
Do you make this stuff up on the fly ??
You have stated on here multiple times that our team is sub quality. Which players are below par ?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 3:21pm

You have stated on here multiple times that our team is sub quality. Which players are below par ?
As someone that coaches I believe it's not making it up but it certainly is opened for discussion without having to attack me.

I'm on the record as saying I believe we only have about 8-12 players who have the potential of playing in GF, from their our depth drops away fairly significantly especially in the forward line.

players below par are:
Byrnes
Bytel
Connolly
Allison
Heath
Sharman
Peris

That's just off the top of my head, I haven't inlcuded our new kids for obvious reason but then there is another group of players who need to go to another level this year or they will be heading out the door too.

I recon Ross will turn this list over heavily over the next few years, has to, it's just the nature of the business, basically if we were to win a flag with Ross, the team will almost be unrecognisable from the current list.

Killa
Club Player

“unrecognisable”

Marshall
King
Steele
Sinclair
Hill
Crouch
Membrey
Wilkie
Gresham
Higgins
Battle
Howard

Then those we look forward to having full seasons to confirm their status

Clark
Coffield
Paton
Billings

Then our youth who have established already

Wanganeen-Milera
Windhager
Owen

And I may have missed a few

Into the names above we look to the development of the likes of Heath, Adams, Peris, Highmore, Sharman and those Drafted and entering their first seasons

And we look forward to identifying progress particularly in respect to support for Marshall, King and Howard, so those with KPP size

From last season we have lost Ryder and Hannebery, both class and both adding to performance

But unfortunately both were injury prone and cost team performance because of their absences

Killa
Club Player

And I would not be ruling out the likes of Byrne (two sided and with ability) and Byrnes (where injury restricted him after he was preferred over Dunstan)

Allison and Connolly are at the stage where we look for them to be pressuring for League spots, the reports on Allison so far positive

The other question is, if you cut the List (as opposed to developing players after Drafting them) delisting say 6, who do you replace them with?

Pick 100 in the Draft?

In terms of age we have only Ross, Campbell (a back up ruckman) and Hill on the wrong side of 30

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

As someone who doesn’t coach I’m looking forward to this talented group making finals

Ps well said killa

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 10:43pm
In terms of age we have only Ross, Campbell (a back up ruckman) and Hill on the wrong side of 30
Yes we do not have old players apart from Campbell. You would imagine that this will be his last season.

However Campbell is the only St Kilda player over 30, at 31 yrs 2 months. And he is not a first 22 player.

Over 29 from youngest to oldest it is Crouch (barely) 20 0, Wood 29 4, Hill 29 6, Webster 29 6 and Ross 30 8.
Of this group many could well play on for several seasons yet after this season.

So yes "age" wise we may well only have one player go at the end of 2023.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 10:43pm And I would not be ruling out the likes of Byrne (two sided and with ability) and Byrnes (where injury restricted him after he was preferred over Dunstan)

Allison and Connolly are at the stage where we look for them to be pressuring for League spots, the reports on Allison so far positive

The other question is, if you cut the List (as opposed to developing players after Drafting them) delisting say 6, who do you replace them with?

Pick 100 in the Draft?

Byrnes biggest issue is he can't win his own ball, same Connolly, good by foot but you need to be able to win your own ball and defend at AFL level and these types can't hide when it comes grand final day.

I'm hearing Allison is passing Sharman and has the potential to be our FF for R1, the team won't be able to afford the liability of carrying both of these guys for R1.

lloyd21
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 9:08am
Killa wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 10:43pm And I would not be ruling out the likes of Byrne (two sided and with ability) and Byrnes (where injury restricted him after he was preferred over Dunstan)

Pick 100 in the Draft?

Byrnes biggest issue is he can't win his own ball, same Connolly, good by foot but you need to be able to win your own ball and defend at AFL level and these types can't hide when it comes grand final day.

I'm hearing Allison is passing Sharman and has the potential to be our FF for R1, the team won't be able to afford the liability of carrying both of these guys for R1.
Heard Allison broke bone in his foot at training today, think Owens , Sharman ,Membrey..with speed backing them up.

Rizz64

Pick 100 in the Draft?

looks like Allison has broken his foot

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 12:26pm

Pick 100 in the Draft?

Heard Allison broke bone in his foot at training today, think Owens , Sharman ,Membrey..with speed backing them up.
where can you buy some luck, I'll pay.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Rizz64 wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 12:26pm

Pick 100 in the Draft?

it's like the forward line has been cursed, the department we could least afford to lose troops. I'm guessing Silvagni's first few phone calls will be to any tall forwards looking for a new club.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 12:51pm

Pick 100 in the Draft?

it's like the forward line has been cursed, the department we could least afford to lose troops. I'm guessing Silvagni's first few phone calls will be to any tall forwards looking for a new club.
i wonder who might be around? Do we take some broken down hack from another club or develop the kids. I guess it depends on who is available.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 2:21pm

Pick 100 in the Draft?

i wonder who might be around? Do we take some broken down hack from another club or develop the kids. I guess it depends on who is available.
Just plain silly to suggest taking a broken down hack, not sure why anyone would even suggest that. Got any sensible suggestions?

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 4:19pm
happy feet wrote: Fri 27 Jan 2023 2:21pm

Pick 100 in the Draft?

Just plain silly to suggest taking a broken down hack, not sure why anyone would even suggest that. Got any sensible suggestions?
To be honest I am not sure who might be around. There was media suggestions to offer Josh Kennedy a one year contrract but i'm not sure about that. Do you have any ideas on who might be available?

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 4:51pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 26 Jan 2023 3:21pm

As someone that coaches I believe it's not making it up but it certainly is opened for discussion without having to attack me.

I'm on the record as saying I believe we only have about 8-12 players who have the potential of playing in GF, from their our depth drops away fairly significantly especially in the forward line.

players below par are:
Byrnes
Bytel
Connolly
Allison
Heath
Sharman
Peris

That's just off the top of my head, I haven't inlcuded our new kids for obvious reason but then there is another group of players who need to go to another level this year or they will be heading out the door too.

I recon Ross will turn this list over heavily over the next few years, has to, it's just the nature of the business, basically if we were to win a flag with Ross, the team will almost be unrecognisable from the current list.
You list 7 young players as below par. Have you been to any practice sessions this year or watched any match simulations?. I'm betting you haven't yet you still make outrageous claims.