TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

Re: TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:25pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:05pm
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 2:24pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 1:49pm
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 12:14pm
Dear oh dear, there is nothing like dealing with someone who seeks to re-write history to show themself in a better light. Name calling? You accuse me of name calling yet you refer to me as undeveloped, insecure and a wanker. Do you see anything slightly hypocritical in your behaviour?

Let’s return to the main point of your kick them out after 2 years if they are not a consistent AFL standard performance. I see a couple of others have pointed out the error of your position on this. Maybe the ‘system’ needs a change but not to what you want, casting talented athletes out after only 2 years in the AFL system. This would be a disaster. It would result in no young recruits wanting to be sent to the Saints. And for the ones who are, would put unsustainable pressure on young men when they need to be developed and guided.

I await your next round of name calling.
Let tbe record show you have initiated every attack.

If we are a consistently successful club the kids would be lining up to play for the club.

2 years is more than enough if you have been selected as a first rounder. How many first rounders do you know who have a premiership medal and took more than 2 years?

Billings is exhibit A.

Clarke and Coffield are exhibit B and C, if these two aren't both in the top 5 of our best this year then time to cut the losses.

The goal is to win silverware, not be a holiday destination.
The record will show that I have responded to your fatuous statements and questioned them when they are just purely ridiculous, impractical and Ill-informed. The record will show that it’s you who then gets nasty, name calling, labelling and trying to belittle anyone who disagrees with you. Your view of player’s performance is simplistic and fails to take into account other factors. With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.

Anyhow, you can go and please yourself. You are not worth the effort of wasting time on.
Thank farg for that...mabye consider changing your nic to AngryFeet
Sounds like he’s got angry bunions.

Comparing Plugger’s early years to Matthew Allison’s first two year. Lol.

I thought I had heard it all.

Did Plugger bag the club in his early years on a podcast.
I am pretty sure that podcasts were not around then St. Pav. Tell you what I will ask Plugger next time I see him. And where did I compare Allison to Plugger. I just think dumping young players after only 2 years is a dumb idea. Your sycophantic need to defend Vortex was not really necessary, so nick off.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Can you imagine 90% of 20 year olds across all clubs being cut every year .... cause they ain't up to it :lol: :lol:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

A large proportion of 20yo players drafted - don’t make it

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 5:00pm
Dear oh dear, there is nothing like dealing with someone who seeks to re-write history to show themself in a better light. Name calling? You accuse me of name calling yet you refer to me as undeveloped, insecure and a wanker. Do you see anything slightly hypocritical in your behaviour?

Let’s return to the main point of your kick them out after 2 years if they are not a consistent AFL standard performance. I see a couple of others have pointed out the error of your position on this. Maybe the ‘system’ needs a change but not to what you want, casting talented athletes out after only 2 years in the AFL system. This would be a disaster. It would result in no young recruits wanting to be sent to the Saints. And for the ones who are, would put unsustainable pressure on young men when they need to be developed and guided.

If we are a consistently successful club the kids would be lining up to play for the club.

2 years is more than enough if you have been selected as a first rounder. How many first rounders do you know who have a premiership medal and took more than 2 years?

Billings is exhibit A.

Clarke and Coffield are exhibit B and C, if these two aren't both in the top 5 of our best this year then time to cut the losses.

The record will show that I have responded to your fatuous statements and questioned them when they are just purely ridiculous, impractical and Ill-informed. The record will show that it’s you who then gets nasty, name calling, labelling and trying to belittle anyone who disagrees with you. Your view of player’s performance is simplistic and fails to take into account other factors. With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.

Anyhow, you can go and please yourself. You are not worth the effort of wasting time on.

I am pretty sure that podcasts were not around then St. Pav. Tell you what I will ask Plugger next time I see him. And where did I compare Allison to Plugger. I just think dumping young players after only 2 years is a dumb idea. Your sycophantic need to defend Vortex was not really necessary, so nick off.
I won’t.

Try and stop me.

Vortex can defend himself.

You have been dishing it out for a while.

Practice what you preach.

Sorry if that offends you but too bad.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Rizz64

Now I've heard it all. Can't cut the mustard as a 20 year old should be delisted. :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

I can name AA players like McGovern, Petracca, Gawn, our own Sinclair, Hawkins, Steele....all took well over two years ro really hit straps.

Absolutely ludicrous

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you think Connolly will emulate any of those players??

Perhaps McGovern???

Rizz64

Wouldn't need to emulate anyone. Just be himself, if he's good enough, he'll make it.

Same as the others on that list

happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 7:25pm

Billings is exhibit A.

I won’t.

Try and stop me.

So now we know that St Pav is Vortex’s other sign in. I really couldn’t care less, you post shite then I will call it out.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Saintmike65
Club Player

Rizz64 wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:08pm Wouldn't need to emulate anyone. Just be himself, if he's good enough, he'll make it.

At least players have a chance to make the grade & get the most out of themselves with a professional development set up!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:41am
Rizz64 wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:08pm Wouldn't need to emulate anyone. Just be himself, if he's good enough, he'll make it.

At least players have a chance to make the grade & get the most out of themselves with a professional development set up!!
Very true. A professional environment taking into account injuries, growth spurts, maturity, other issues that will only be known by those within a supportive environment. It is folly to put a one size fits all in place, whether they are draftees or recruits.

Sometimes you only need a couple of months to know, other times it may be years to unearth that missing piece or discover it was only fool's gold.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’ve always been of the mind that if/once a player demonstrates that they can be competitive at AFL level, and all of Bytel, Coops, Byrnes and Connolly have (not be a super star but they can play without being embarrassed)… then they essentially need time in the seniors for the opportunity to go up a gear.

The improvement doesn’t come unless they get to practice and develop what they’ve learned at the highest level. Confidence and experience comes from competing and learning from the best opposition.

It’s why letting a player like Kent get gifted 25 games for very poor return despite “doing his role” is such a horrible strategy… it robs others of the opportunity to overtake them.

Hind for example was clear a player that would have benefited from more time on the ground and stints through the middle… instead we have Kent and Lonie 70odd games between them for what was a very predictable output.

Marshall was another… he wasn’t exactly tearing it down at Sandy as an add water and here is an AFL ruck… kid was 4th in the pecking order and took a few games and continuity to come good.

Armitage, Steven, Lynch, McEvoy, Dempster, Geary etc all had pretty mediocre patches early with us but either with us opt other clubs, they got the opportunity for continuity and development and improved out of sight.

Not suggesting that all the players I mentioned before will make it… but once they reach a certain level at VFL, they don’t improve without opportunity

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

We all know how restricted our young players development has been with the dysfuntional Sandringham alignment, with sub standard top up players and sub standard facility ground incl. I believe the reason we havent gone alone is financial, but I cant see our VFL development program getting the best out of the kids while we are still ankered to Sandringham. Not all players will make it, but surely the club has to invest in giving every kid on the list the absolute best chance. In the modern era its something we have been very poor at and our results have reflected that.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 1:28pm ...a player demonstrates that they can be competitive...they need time in the seniors for the opportunity.....

.. letting a player like Kent get gifted 25 games for very poor return despite “doing his role” is such a horrible strategy… robs others..

Hind ...Marshall ..Armitage, Steven, Lynch, McEvoy, Dempster, Geary ...improved out of sight.
...as St Kilda .

They improved in a deteriorating club.

This is the dilemma..It's a conundrum, not a strategy. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Tell me now!

How many premiership points are you willing to burn to try this every year? 4, 8, 12?

I've said it a 1000 times.

St Kilda goes on the field in a premiership points game not to,

1) help players find their true position
2) help players improve (so their manager will ask for more money)
3) do justice to some old scores or fulfill minimum quotas required for trigger clauses
4) to prevent someone from breaking contract and retiring mid-season because they do not have enough time in the firsts

These are all off field issues and coaches shoudl be accountable to them

St Kilda goes on the field, when premiership points are on the table,

1) to get those four points

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 1:28pm I’ve always been of the mind that if/once a player demonstrates that they can be competitive at AFL level, and all of Bytel, Coops, Byrnes and Connolly have (not be a super star but they can play without being embarrassed)… then they essentially need time in the seniors for the opportunity to go up a gear.

The improvement doesn’t come unless they get to practice and develop what they’ve learned at the highest level. Confidence and experience comes from competing and learning from the best opposition.

It’s why letting a player like Kent get gifted 25 games for very poor return despite “doing his role” is such a horrible strategy… it robs others of the opportunity to overtake them.

Hind for example was clear a player that would have benefited from more time on the ground and stints through the middle… instead we have Kent and Lonie 70odd games between them for what was a very predictable output.

Marshall was another… he wasn’t exactly tearing it down at Sandy as an add water and here is an AFL ruck… kid was 4th in the pecking order and took a few games and continuity to come good.

Armitage, Steven, Lynch, McEvoy, Dempster, Geary etc all had pretty mediocre patches early with us but either with us opt other clubs, they got the opportunity for continuity and development and improved out of sight.

Not suggesting that all the players I mentioned before will make it… but once they reach a certain level at VFL, they don’t improve without opportunity
I tend to agree it’s why I laugh at the muppets comparing a 7 game Connolly to Webster right now…waste of time
I too think if they show over a few games they can play at AFL level, get the pace if the game snd nit be out of depth embarrassed AND offer something unique/skill set wise it’s worth persisting with …Connolly abd Sharman have shown this….does that mean they make it automatically? Ofcourse not
Owens debut was interesting…..quite underwhelming from memory (unlike Windhager who did some nice things early) so Owens is an example of a kid who then second game showed those attributes above.

It can’t be understated just how much of this Is confidence to a young player they have to “feel” they belong and not be afraid to take it on (you can’t be a shrinking violet or hide on an AFL field….you have to believe you are elite at that level..)

Aside from that…interesting thread (usual suspects along for a hijack sadly) …..love the training report and the contrast from MULTIPLE posters here and on BF from this year’s professionalism to last years is telling …

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Unless they are outstanding players, most young men play a year or 2 sometimes 3 finding their feet at VFL level. Both Webster & Paton both did so its not unusual for players taken later like Connolly to get going.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I was interested to read reports about Matthew Allison's training in the past week and am pleased he is showing promise - as a 195cm tall he was always bound to take a few years to develop and at age 21 it may still be a while before he debuts.

With Damian Carroll into his 2nd season at Moorabbin, combined with the new coaching panel, I feel a lot more confident this year that the younger Saints drafted since 2017 will make the grade. That also includes Liam Stocker (if he wins a spot) as he was darfted in 2018 at pick 19.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 5:20pm I was interested to read reports about Matthew Allison's training in the past week and am pleased he is showing promise - as a 195cm tall he was always bound to take a few years to develop and at age 21 it may still be a while before he debuts.

With Damian Carroll into his 2nd season at Moorabbin, combined with the new coaching panel, I feel a lot more confident this year that the younger Saints drafted since 2017 will make the grade. That also includes Liam Stocker (if he wins a spot) as he was darfted in 2018 at pick 19.
I pray you’re right Sanctorum
IF you are ….we hit paydirt with the ability to transform our list massively accelerated…
That’s a huge boost

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 12:42am

Billings is exhibit A.

I won’t.

Try and stop me.

So now we know that St Pav is Vortex’s other sign in. I really couldn’t care less, you post shite then I will call it out.
Try calling out your own “shite” first.

Using Tony Lockett’s first few years as a comparison to Matthew Allison’s performance so far is moronic.

Lockett debuted in his first season and made an immediate impact playing 32 games and kicking 32 goals while young Allison struggles to get a touch in the VFL.

Lockett was never at risk of being cut from the club in his first few years. There is a good chance that Allison may not be at the club in two years, maybe even earlier.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... ckett.html

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Hannerbery, Crouch and Hill represent our big fish catches since Richo's treasure chest.

The big difference now, is that we have first class facilities in a historical homeland.

We have a coach with a program that is proven to consistently put squads in finals by focus on a program and buy in from the players.
We have a 15 year experienced senior assistant coach with insights at 2 of the most successful clubs in the games history and he is a club legend.
Anyone who would question Hayes, Goddard and Enright's pedigrees haven't witness the dramatic changes at training from last year.

Of our draftees still under 25, Clark(17) has had strips torn off him, Coffield(17) needs to prove he is durable, King(18) and Bytel(18) came in under injury clouds, Byrnes (19) and Connolly (19) have played through necessity not ability,
Allison(20) and Heath(20) haven't played and Windhager, NWM and Owens have been initiated and look likely to fit straight. Our babies are skillful, creative and athletic. 3 of them are tall.

Players like Windhager, Owens, NWN and Phillipou actively drive their own development and its infectious.
Marshall travelled more hours than he trained to get a chance to be drafted and has been held back from first ruck because they discovered his ability by chance.
Wilkie got a chance and hasn't looked back.
Paton went back as an over age player and played senior football to get his chance and apart from a freak injury has claimed some big scalps and contributed to finals success in his second year.
Sinclair was overlooked, rookied and tried left right and centre. He is now AA
Membrey, Steele, Butler, Higgins and Howard were unhappy where they were and have done ok with us after commiting.

All of these guys have what Lyon requires. Effort.

Despite the the injuries and the f*** ups of the administration, selectors and coaches between 2010 and now. I'm confident that Lyon and Co can turn this around in less than 100 weeks.

By then, we will clear substantial salary cap and we will land a big fish, either by sacking or negotiating current first tier players, into depth players.
We will have 1 or 2 more first round draft picks
The gameplan will evolve as the best 30 players rise to the top.
All of our best players under 25 will ne on long term contracts.
We will hit 70,000 members and clear our debt.
We will marched into the 8 and head straight to the finals.

Anyway, I believe that is the plan.

happy feet
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 6:05pm

Billings is exhibit A.

I won’t.

Try and stop me.

Using Tony Lockett’s first few years as a comparison to Matthew Allison’s performance so far is moronic.

Lockett debuted in his first season and made an immediate impact playing 32 games and kicking 32 goals while young Allison struggles to get a touch in the VFL.

Lockett was never at risk of being cut from the club in his first few years. There is a good chance that Allison may not be at the club in two years, maybe even earlier.

St. pav/Vortex (i’m sure they’re the same person) - I don’t know why you accuse me of comparing Lockett and Allison. Go check the posts it wasn’t me. I just took issue with the notion of dumping players after 2 years, as did many others. Go back to Bomber Blitz or wherever the Essendon trolls hang out.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s time to let the name calling go

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 7:28pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 6:05pm

Billings is exhibit A.

I won’t.

Try and stop me.

St. pav/Vortex (i’m sure they’re the same person) - I don’t know why you accuse me of comparing Lockett and Allison. Go check the posts it wasn’t me. I just took issue with the notion of dumping players after 2 years, as did many others. Go back to Bomber Blitz or wherever the Essendon trolls hang out.
With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.

Saintmike65
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 7:59pm I think it’s time to let the name calling go
Yes, totally unnecessary..let’s just agree to disagree!!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:49pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 7:59pm I think it’s time to let the name calling go
100% but too many love a re-quote of a re-quote of a re-quote, almost like they think someone / anyone cares. Incredibly tedious and disrespectful to a decent thread.

Take it to PMs.

realdeal
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:59pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Sun 15 Jan 2023 8:49pm
100% but too many love a re-quote of a re-quote of a re-quote, almost like they think someone / anyone cares. Incredibly tedious and disrespectful to a decent thread.

Take it to PMs.
Grown adults who support the same team carrying on like children.

Unfortunately been going on here for years. Pathetic.