TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

The list cloggers have been at the other end of selection and repeatedly getting games.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 10:26am The list cloggers have been at the other end of selection and repeatedly getting games.
Yep agree, will we see just how bad our depth was these past few seasons.

The objective AND honest observer will agree that 2022 was very challenging for the selection committee, had a heap of players in the seniors who should of had their pay docked, but we had a heap of nothing to select from at Sandy.

Bring on the magic wand I say.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 10:25am
happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 10:17am
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:10am Allison hopefully can get a game early and show if he might be capable of making the grade.

We need to clean out the list cloggers and stop employing kids who spend years on the list without getting a game at AFL level. This has been our problem over multiple coaches.

Admittedly the business model is antiquated and terribly challenging but it's time for the club to be truly innovative and be brutal with kids coming into the club. 2 years max should be the time allowed to make the grade.
Well I am very glad that you have nothing to do with the Club. Two years is not long enough to develop a player to AFL standard in many cases. All we would do is gift talent to other clubs. Your post makes me think you are an Essendon supporter who gets his jollies from trolling ridiculous posts like this one. You brought this one up before and were smashed, at least try something original and stop regurgitating your old bile.
Pffft, smashed by you and let's be honest the complex subject of footy seems well outstide your wheelhouse, to be fair you sound very underdeveloped and insecure, maybe trial a bit more happy and little less thinking on your feet Happyfeet.

The fact of the matter is the 2020 draft was an absolute farce, and for obvious reasons, I can't think of anyone offhand that is likely to make it from that draft year, I'm sure I'll be corrected of an outlier but you get my point.

The club has made a very clear and forceful decision to be brutal and unapologetic in how it manages individuals who don't perform so all I'd like to see is consistence and for this brutality to be extended to players, as I said, the club should look to be truly innovative in its approach to the business model in its pursuit of an elite environment, if you can't cut it, you are cut, but if you make it you will be reward handsomely. Only the highly skilled and tough need apply.

Now see if you can have a go at some free thoughts of your own.
You were smashed not just by me but also by many others. Far from underdeveloped and insecure I don’t resort to petty name calling or unfounded statements about others. You don’t know me nor will you ever, so drop the personal assumptions about me and others, they just make you look puerile. Treating players who need development time/years, the same as non-playing staff is a ridiculous notion. Like comparing apples and oranges really. Test your thought bubbles with some self-reflection before posting them, it will do you no harm at all. And while you are at it, have a think about the way you insult anyone who disagrees with you here. I can recommend that you go and read Dale Carnegie’s “How To Win Friends And Influence People.”

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 10:41am
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:10am Allison hopefully can get a game early and show if he might be capable of making the grade.

We need to clean out the list cloggers and stop employing kids who spend years on the list without getting a game at AFL level. This has been our problem over multiple coaches.

Admittedly the business model is antiquated and terribly challenging but it's time for the club to be truly innovative and be brutal with kids coming into the club. 2 years max should be the time allowed to make the grade.
Well I am very glad that you have nothing to do with the Club. Two years is not long enough to develop a player to AFL standard in many cases. All we would do is gift talent to other clubs. Your post makes me think you are an Essendon supporter who gets his jollies from trolling ridiculous posts like this one. You brought this one up before and were smashed, at least try something original and stop regurgitating your old bile.
Pffft, smashed by you and let's be honest the complex subject of footy seems well outstide your wheelhouse, to be fair you sound very underdeveloped and insecure, maybe trial a bit more happy and little less thinking on your feet Happyfeet.

The fact of the matter is the 2020 draft was an absolute farce, and for obvious reasons, I can't think of anyone offhand that is likely to make it from that draft year, I'm sure I'll be corrected of an outlier but you get my point.

The club has made a very clear and forceful decision to be brutal and unapologetic in how it manages individuals who don't perform so all I'd like to see is consistence and for this brutality to be extended to players, as I said, the club should look to be truly innovative in its approach to the business model in its pursuit of an elite environment, if you can't cut it, you are cut, but if you make it you will be reward handsomely. Only the highly skilled and tough need apply.

You were smashed not just by me but also by many others. Far from underdeveloped and insecure I don’t resort to petty name calling or unfounded statements about others. You don’t know me nor will you ever, so drop the personal assumptions about me and others, they just make you look puerile. Treating players who need development time/years, the same as non-playing staff is a ridiculous notion. Like comparing apples and oranges really. Test your thought bubbles with some self-reflection before posting them, it will do you no harm at all. And while you are at it, have a think about the way you insult anyone who disagrees with you here. I can recommend that you go and read Dale Carnegie’s “How To Win Friends And Influence People.”
Pure lies. Umm I think you resorted to petty name calling, just read your past few posts towards me, maybe suffering from 3 second memory there, and only wankers who can't win friends and influence people need to read books like that, what is that like 30 years old that book?, I can recommend some other books that would be way more beneficial for insecure people like yourself.

happy to practice persuasive argument skills and have robust discussion about footy all day long but find it even easier to bat away your attacks all day long.

MOD EDIT : POSTER SUSPENDED UNTIL 17/01/2023 FOR ABUSE.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 8:31am
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 3:00pm Pleased to hear Allison is improving. At 195cm with plenty of leg speed he has two important prerequisites for the modern game.

I wrote in an earlier post that he played with the intensity of a man waiting for a bus. Sound's like that's changed.
BJ has been working closely with young Allison which is definitely bearing fruit.
If you isolate his attributes, he has elite endurance, covers the ground well, strong mark & good kick.
The thing that I’ve noticed recently is that he works his arse off, also he wants the ball in his hands!
He seems to have a greater belief in himself..can’t wait to see him in the intra club game.
And he has excellent genes.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

What a load of rubbish. How many years was Michael Tuck on the Hawks list before he even got a game in the first?

People wanting instant gratification really piss me off.

Yeah, I know it's a generation thing.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Spot on mate.

Killa
Club Player

How many second 18 games did Michael Tuck play before consolidating at the top level?

As but one example

Strong sides, because of where they finish the season, do not (normally) get the advantage of high draft picks - and because of their strength can nurture and develop players at the lower level before they are introduced to the upper level

Bottom sides get high Draft picks, needing to introduce those Draft Picks to the upper level and in a weak side

They do not get the opportunity to nurture and develop these 18 year old kids

They are immediately in at the deep end

An arbitrary time to show your wares at the upper level, delisting at 20 years of age is abject nonsense of the first order

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 11:10am How many second 18 games did Michael Tuck play before consolidating at the top level?

As but one example

Strong sides, because of where they finish the season, do not (normally) get the advantage of high draft picks - and because of their strength can nurture and develop players at the lower level before they are introduced to the upper level

Bottom sides get high Draft picks, needing to introduce those Draft Picks to the upper level and in a weak side

An arbitrary time to show your wares at the upper level, delisting at 20 years of age is abject nonsense of the first order
What's that say, the definition of insanity, repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result?, the ALF business model is antiquated and needs innovating, take Phillipou for example, a first round draft pick should be given 2 years absolute max to prove himself.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

What a fool Bart Cummings was not running his cup winners into the ground as 2 year olds.
If only the vort was his stable foreman.
Forget the glory and the records: to the knackery with you Think Big, Saintly. Lets Elope.
Our business model is all about pet food not rib eye.
Instant gratification or I am going to spit it young vorty stamped and wailed.
Parenting 101.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Correct
Christian Petracca in his first 2 years some were suggesting was a bust (those premature types again ..)
Club definitely has to be structured in its development and we can’t spend 5 years finding out but I’m hoping the more professional focus on development helps us sort that

“Yeah….nah””
happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 10:48am

Pure lies. Umm I think you resorted to petty name calling, just read your past few posts towards me, maybe suffering from 3 second memory there, and only wankers who can't win friends and influence people need to read books like that, what is that like 30 years old that book?, I can recommend some other books that would be way more beneficial for insecure people like yourself.

happy to practice persuasive argument skills and have robust discussion about footy all day long but find it even easier to bat away your attacks all day long.
Dear oh dear, there is nothing like dealing with someone who seeks to re-write history to show themself in a better light. Name calling? You accuse me of name calling yet you refer to me as undeveloped, insecure and a wanker. Do you see anything slightly hypocritical in your behaviour?

Let’s return to the main point of your kick them out after 2 years if they are not a consistent AFL standard performance. I see a couple of others have pointed out the error of your position on this. Maybe the ‘system’ needs a change but not to what you want, casting talented athletes out after only 2 years in the AFL system. This would be a disaster. It would result in no young recruits wanting to be sent to the Saints. And for the ones who are, would put unsustainable pressure on young men when they need to be developed and guided.

I await your next round of name calling.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Banger9798
SS Life Member

DMac took 4 years to get to the level, Paddy McCartin going ok up at Swans now after how long in the system?

Last year's draft looks terrific for us, all of them playing senior football. This seems like a welcome aberration.

Glad to hear Allison is improving, I will still be surprised if he makes it to a regular senior spot, because from what little I saw he didn't seem a very good footballer. If the kid has done the hard work and the coaches have got behind him, then that is fantastic for the young man and for the team.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 11:26am
Killa wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 11:10am How many second 18 games did Michael Tuck play before consolidating at the top level?

As but one example

What's that say, the definition of insanity, repeating the same mistake and expecting a different result?, the ALF business model is antiquated and needs innovating, take Phillipou for example, a first round draft pick should be given 2 years absolute max to prove himself.
More rubbish. You don't listen to wiser heads do you?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

A great training write up from Username Unknown of BF. Highlights the difference in training and game plan that other training watchers have been suggesting.

"I went down to a pre season session down at Sandringham last year around the same time. Huge difference between the standard and skills level. The training session i saw was drills and a full ground match sim. Last year there was no method in the way the ball was moved, the ball did not move with flow and with purpose. Most of the time the player with the ball was either caught, turned it over, gave to the wrong option or kicked to a pack Forward entries were poor, long and direct. I left thinking not much has changed in our game plan but hopeful that it was pre season and it would improve from there.

Training over all was a really good vibe, players are up and about, training with purpose and intensity, a lot of talk out there from the group. There was joking around but they were trying to get the most out the drills, between drills players they got a drink then straight back to it.
Players were providing a lot of feedback to each other and no being afraid to challenge other out. In one of the drills a bunch of the senior players were out on the hill side wing. Higgo came out of the forward line on a lead didnt get the ball and Seb Ross said some thing to him. He mentioned Allison not being in the right position, they told him to go and speak to him which he did.
Listening to that group of senior players (steele, hill, ross, crouch and two others) speak while they were resting. It sounded like they were very clear in what was being asked from them by the coaches.
RTB is a posing figure out on the track. He had a great mix of challenging players but being able to joke around with them as well. Multiple times he would stop the play and directly call out a player, he would first ask them what they were doing wrong then give them advice. Players received the feedback really well and acted on feedback. You can see there is a lot of respect between the group and Ross. Most conversations would finish with his type of humour and a word of encouragement. At one point 3 coaching/training staff (not harves, banga or BJ) were in the middle of the ground talking during the 13 v 13 drill. He noticed this and made a point to stop the play and ask them what was happening. The quickly ended their conversion and spread out to observe.
Coaches and more importantly players would stop drills and point out things. When a drill reset there was always conversations happening. Younger players were giving feedback to more senior players.
Goddard doesn't talk or act like a first year coach. It looks like he has the respect of the senior players as he would give them feedback and they would fully engage in the conversation.
Between most drills every player would have set shots. Hayes asked why the green hat group had gone for set shots and the other coach replied that they wanted to because they were not fatigued.
Between every drill windy would have a set shot/s before getting a drink. One time he missed, got super cut at him self and then slotted 3 in a row. He is putting in the work, excited to see what he becomes and also for windy to mentor phillipou. At the same stage of their carer, same work ethic and desire to get better.
There is a real intent to move the ball quickly. This time round there is method and skills levels are good. They were making the right decision more often than not. Interesting thing i heard was a player called out hill for not giving the ball off. Hill said that while that was on, the next two plays were not and it would have been turned over. They were thinking about the bigger picture and switch up the play to break through the lines. Our game plan looks balanced. Players knew where to go and move into space, when to call for the ball and when not to call for the ball.
Players really got around some one who did the smalll things spoil, block ect.
The group practicing center bounce work was Marshall, Steele, Gresh, Ross, Crouch and Clark.
Hilly looks very up and about
Sinclair looks like he is ready to go again. Carries himself and plays with a lot of confidence.
Nas has put on size. He was also doing drills with the backs towards the end.
Owens was playing up forward. If he didn't take the contested mark, his follow up work was great.
Pou did some really nice things which reflected his highlights. Still got a bit of work to do. Which will all be down to confidence. Once that clicks he will start marking the ball out in front and taking the game on more.
Moose did some nice things. Took some strong marks. Was getting beaten by Marshall most of the time but didn't look completely out of his depth.
Byrnes moved really well and looked good
Cordy does not look and move like a afl footballer. Way off the pace during conditioning running at the end. I honestly thought he was a sandy fill in until I saw him running back towards me.
Stoker did some good things, he is a strong player. Eyre looked like a man with not much confidence. Didn't really seem to be pushing him self or doing much. Maybe through feedback it has already been decided who has a spot.
There was a group of about 100+ kids. There were doing tours of the space and hanging out in the rec area playing games. The clubs is investing in grass routes football (future supporters and $$$)

From what I saw last year, compared to this year. It is going to be a much more exciting/enjoyable team to watch".

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 12:43pm A great training write up from Username Unknown of BF. Highlights the difference in training and game plan that other training watchers have been suggesting.

"I went down to a pre season session down at Sandringham last year around the same time. Huge difference between the standard and skills level. The training session i saw was drills and a full ground match sim. Last year there was no method in the way the ball was moved, the ball did not move with flow and with purpose. Most of the time the player with the ball was either caught, turned it over, gave to the wrong option or kicked to a pack Forward entries were poor, long and direct. I left thinking not much has changed in our game plan but hopeful that it was pre season and it would improve from there.

Training over all was a really good vibe, players are up and about, training with purpose and intensity, a lot of talk out there from the group. There was joking around but they were trying to get the most out the drills, between drills players they got a drink then straight back to it.
Players were providing a lot of feedback to each other and no being afraid to challenge other out. In one of the drills a bunch of the senior players were out on the hill side wing. Higgo came out of the forward line on a lead didnt get the ball and Seb Ross said some thing to him. He mentioned Allison not being in the right position, they told him to go and speak to him which he did.
Listening to that group of senior players (steele, hill, ross, crouch and two others) speak while they were resting. It sounded like they were very clear in what was being asked from them by the coaches.
RTB is a posing figure out on the track. He had a great mix of challenging players but being able to joke around with them as well. Multiple times he would stop the play and directly call out a player, he would first ask them what they were doing wrong then give them advice. Players received the feedback really well and acted on feedback. You can see there is a lot of respect between the group and Ross. Most conversations would finish with his type of humour and a word of encouragement. At one point 3 coaching/training staff (not harves, banga or BJ) were in the middle of the ground talking during the 13 v 13 drill. He noticed this and made a point to stop the play and ask them what was happening. The quickly ended their conversion and spread out to observe.
Coaches and more importantly players would stop drills and point out things. When a drill reset there was always conversations happening. Younger players were giving feedback to more senior players.
Goddard doesn't talk or act like a first year coach. It looks like he has the respect of the senior players as he would give them feedback and they would fully engage in the conversation.
Between most drills every player would have set shots. Hayes asked why the green hat group had gone for set shots and the other coach replied that they wanted to because they were not fatigued.
Between every drill windy would have a set shot/s before getting a drink. One time he missed, got super cut at him self and then slotted 3 in a row. He is putting in the work, excited to see what he becomes and also for windy to mentor phillipou. At the same stage of their carer, same work ethic and desire to get better.
There is a real intent to move the ball quickly. This time round there is method and skills levels are good. They were making the right decision more often than not. Interesting thing i heard was a player called out hill for not giving the ball off. Hill said that while that was on, the next two plays were not and it would have been turned over. They were thinking about the bigger picture and switch up the play to break through the lines. Our game plan looks balanced. Players knew where to go and move into space, when to call for the ball and when not to call for the ball.
Players really got around some one who did the smalll things spoil, block ect.
The group practicing center bounce work was Marshall, Steele, Gresh, Ross, Crouch and Clark.
Hilly looks very up and about
Sinclair looks like he is ready to go again. Carries himself and plays with a lot of confidence.
Nas has put on size. He was also doing drills with the backs towards the end.
Owens was playing up forward. If he didn't take the contested mark, his follow up work was great.
Pou did some really nice things which reflected his highlights. Still got a bit of work to do. Which will all be down to confidence. Once that clicks he will start marking the ball out in front and taking the game on more.
Moose did some nice things. Took some strong marks. Was getting beaten by Marshall most of the time but didn't look completely out of his depth.
Byrnes moved really well and looked good
Cordy not look and move like a afl footballer. Way off the pace during conditioning running at the end. I honestly thought he was a sandy fill in until I saw him running back towards me.
Stoker did some good things, he is a strong player. Eyre looked like a man with not much confidence. Didn't really seem to be pushing him self or doing much. Maybe through feedback it has already been decided who has a spot.
There was a group of about 100+ kids. There were doing tours of the space and hanging out in the rec area playing games. The clubs is investing in grass routes football (future supporters and $$$)

From what I saw last year, compared to this year. It is going to be a much more exciting/enjoyable team to watch".
:wink:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 12:14pm
Dear oh dear, there is nothing like dealing with someone who seeks to re-write history to show themself in a better light. Name calling? You accuse me of name calling yet you refer to me as undeveloped, insecure and a wanker. Do you see anything slightly hypocritical in your behaviour?

Let’s return to the main point of your kick them out after 2 years if they are not a consistent AFL standard performance. I see a couple of others have pointed out the error of your position on this. Maybe the ‘system’ needs a change but not to what you want, casting talented athletes out after only 2 years in the AFL system. This would be a disaster. It would result in no young recruits wanting to be sent to the Saints. And for the ones who are, would put unsustainable pressure on young men when they need to be developed and guided.

Let tbe record show you have initiated every attack.

If we are a consistently successful club the kids would be lining up to play for the club.

2 years is more than enough if you have been selected as a first rounder. How many first rounders do you know who have a premiership medal and took more than 2 years?

Billings is exhibit A.

Clarke and Coffield are exhibit B and C, if these two aren't both in the top 5 of our best this year then time to cut the losses.

The goal is to win silverware, not be a holiday destination.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 1:49pm

If we are a consistently successful club the kids would be lining up to play for the club.

2 years is more than enough if you have been selected as a first rounder. How many first rounders do you know who have a premiership medal and took more than 2 years?

Billings is exhibit A.

Clarke and Coffield are exhibit B and C, if these two aren't both in the top 5 of our best this year then time to cut the losses.

The record will show that I have responded to your fatuous statements and questioned them when they are just purely ridiculous, impractical and Ill-informed. The record will show that it’s you who then gets nasty, name calling, labelling and trying to belittle anyone who disagrees with you. Your view of player’s performance is simplistic and fails to take into account other factors. With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.

Anyhow, you can go and please yourself. You are not worth the effort of wasting time on.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 2:24pm

Billings is exhibit A.

The record will show that I have responded to your fatuous statements and questioned them when they are just purely ridiculous, impractical and Ill-informed. The record will show that it’s you who then gets nasty, name calling, labelling and trying to belittle anyone who disagrees with you. Your view of player’s performance is simplistic and fails to take into account other factors. With your criteria we would have cut Plugger.

Anyhow, you can go and please yourself. You are not worth the effort of wasting time on.
As an objective observer, I've found that Vortex is capable of the behaviour you have described, nonetheless, I can't remember him harassing me once, when I refused to engage or I just laughed of his query on the motives for my convictions.

Now, personally, I enjoy the banter, I'm sure a few others, like some who complain, but who are also heavily involved in the vitriol, do too.

Insults, like complaints, come in degrees and largely go unfiltered here.

In this environment, best to stick to the topics and not respond to the vitriol. Bitter or cynical criticism is often just a trap for unsuspecting narcissists.

happy feet
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 2:49pm

Billings is exhibit A.

As an objective observer, I've found that Vortex is capable of the behaviour you have described, nonetheless, I can't remember him harassing me once, when I refused to engage or I just laughed of his query on the motives for my convictions.

Now, personally, I enjoy the banter, I'm sure a few others, like some who complain, but who are also heavily involved in the vitriol, do too.

Insults, like complaints, come in degrees and largely go unfiltered here.

In this environment, best to stick to the topics and not respond to the vitriol. Bitter or cynical criticism is often just a trap for unsuspecting narcissists.
Good advice.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Billings is exhibit A.

Thank farg for that...mabye consider changing your nic to AngryFeet

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Happy Feet, such an innocent bystander.

Spare me.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:05pm

Billings is exhibit A.

Sounds like he’s got angry bunions.

Comparing Plugger’s early years to Matthew Allison’s first two year. Lol.

I thought I had heard it all.

Did Plugger bag the club in his early years on a podcast.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 2:41pm Matt Allison has improved 200%. Will know when the practice matches start mid to late Feb. And early info- will be at Moorabbin Friday evenings
Tony have you heard Ross compare Jack Higgins and Ballantyne, just ability wise . Would be really interested.
(Noting of course HB clearly an agitator whereas Jack seems very nice).

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:25pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 3:05pm

Billings is exhibit A.

Sounds like he’s got angry bunions.

Comparing Plugger’s early years to Matthew Allison’s first two year. Lol.

I thought I had heard it all.

Did Plugger bag the club in his early years on a podcast.
Lol. He did tell them that he should only have to train twice a week cause it's a long trip from Ballarat.