Is Lyon mark 2 the right fit for the saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Lyon mark 2 the right fit for the saints

Josh Battle wrote: Mon 12 Dec 2022 11:39pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Dec 2022 10:05pm
Josh Battle wrote: Mon 12 Dec 2022 12:51pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 12 Dec 2022 12:17pm
Personally I am convinced that our footy team will not go backwards in 2023 - quite the opposite, they only need to win 2 more games than they did in 2022 to secure a spot in the top 8, my money is on them doing exactly that!
If the club is serious about winning a premiership and not just trying to make up the numbers and slide into 8th spot every ten years, then they have to follow through with rebuilding and provide opportunities to our youth and be patient.

I think our drafting is contrary to a team looking for short term fixes to our list. There’s every possibility we could be sitting in 9th-12th for the next two years.

Our president sat on the fence a couple of months ago. He said we could go backwards!! Remember the press conferences?

People’s hopes need to be aligned with the club’s strategic plans and goals so that members don’t place too much expectation on our players and coaches. They’ll be hounded by the media so we don’t have to add to that pressure over the next 2 years.

We had been looking for short cuts with our recruiting of ready made players at the end of 2018/2019/2020

What we need is the club to have a long term plan. Create the environment and build the foundations so that you give yourselves every chance to compete with the very best teams. They need to constantly communicate clearly with their members during this next phase.

They need to honestly assess where our list sits compared to our competitors. They need to be honest about our chances for a quick rise up the ladder. I want to see strength and unity across all areas of our football department. I want to see a united board and I want to see a club focussed on 2025 and beyond.
I get the feeling the review uncovered our previous footy brains trust of Lethlean, Bassat, Ratten and co were on the wrong path and gilding the Lilly in terms of our list capability.
I suspect (too late for my liking) and the Board have been told you’re quality short and you need to hit the draft
We did last year to good effect
Have again this year and no doubt will next year
They’ve also appointed an experienced coach for 4 years
ADMITTED they may go backwards first
Appointed a respected head of footy
Should Bassat have done this earlier? Yep
I’m just glad he’s done it
You don’t think any of the above screams we have finally realised we need to take a longer term approach??????
And … finally…Teflon has stumbled onto the crux of the argument.

When you read the topic headline, did you think it was a statement? It’s a bloody question isn’t it mate?! :idea:

Let me ask one simple question: Does Ross Lyon have a reputation for taking the long term approach? I posted those articles about Freo because Ross couldn’t help himself during their rebuild and before they were ready as a team to challenge for finals he was looking to import ready made players.

You obviously think we chose the right guy with Ross Lyon. I don’t.

In my personal opinion (and I’m allowed to have this opinion) I reckon every decision made has been good for our club except the decision to change the head coach

I know you think your multiple question marks provide emphasis and makes you think your allegiance to the club is asserted more strongly than other posters…but it doesn’t.
Curious to know JB, would you have kept Ratten?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

This is what makes me laugh, the root cause of the issue is not coaches, it's St Kilda the club as a whole, has been for 150 years, they just have never been able to get it together. The way the club continually mis-manages itself shouldn't give anyone any confidence whatsoever they have somehow got it right this time, yet here we are, "the atmosphere" has em convinced we are now on the right path.

I will never give up on them but what has changed in me this time is I'm going to wait for results before I praise any aspect of management.

Show me the money!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

f****** difficult to cut, or more correctly wade through, all the bulls*** in this thread.

Josh Battle
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Tue 13 Dec 2022 7:43am

It worked for Geelong when they kept Mark Thompson. It worked for Richmond when they kept Hardwick

It also worked for Geelong again in 2018 when they kept Chris Scott

It’s not like Brett had a career coaching record of 33%. His finals record for St Kilda was also good at 50%

Lade and McGlynn gone, and Lenny and Banger replacing them.

BJ Goddard back in St Kilda colours and working his heart out for his beloved Red White and Black

Plus the signing of Geoff Walsh to oversee the football department.

Change was required, but I would have kept Ratten for the remainder of the contract we gave him in July

The only thing that I will say, is that I am not an insider. If there were ‘other’ reasons that Ratten was sacked and we have managed to keep that out of the media, then I say well done to the club and let’s hope the new crew stay together and see this through

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Tue 13 Dec 2022 6:47pm

It worked for Geelong when they kept Mark Thompson. It worked for Richmond when they kept Hardwick

It’s not like Brett had a career coaching record of 33%. His finals record for St Kilda was also good at 50%

BJ Goddard back in St Kilda colours and working his heart out for his beloved Red White and Black

Change was required, but I would have kept Ratten for the remainder of the contract we gave him in July

The only thing that I will say, is that I am not an insider. If there were ‘other’ reasons that Ratten was sacked and we have managed to keep that out of the media, then I say well done to the club and let’s hope the new crew stay together and see this through
There were other reasons and I am a Ratts fan.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Conversely…

How did keeping Richo work out for us

Josh Battle
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 13 Dec 2022 8:56pm

Conversely…

Fair call but Richo never made finals. Ratts did. He got us into finals and we won a final under Brett.

Half way through this year when we were 8-3 he was being white anted and Roo and others were calling for the Saints to replace him

As I said, I’m not an insider, so not sure of all the reasons he was sacked.

I wonder if Lyon wasn’t available whether Brett would still have his job? But. We all have to move on I suppose …just like Brett did

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Tue 13 Dec 2022 9:11pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 13 Dec 2022 8:56pm

Conversely…

Fair call but Richo never made finals. Ratts did. He got us into finals and we won a final under Brett.

Half way through this year when we were 8-3 he was being white anted and Roo and others were calling for the Saints to replace him

As I said, I’m not an insider, so not sure of all the reasons he was sacked.

I wonder if Lyon wasn’t available whether Brett would still have his job? But. We all have to move on I suppose …just like Brett did
It’s a good question. Personally, I’d say for sure. I’m 100% convinced that there wasn’t really a true process as has been suggested. IMO they decided to survey options, found out RL would do it, decided it was a goer and concocted a scenario to make it happen.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The headlines in January 2021 in the papers; AFL'S most interesting figures of 2021: Ross Lyon is waiting in the wings

And this: Lyon is believed to favour a job at one of Victoria's biggest clubs.

Then in June July 2021: Lyon is said to have told confidants his only interest would be in coaching a big Victorian club who he believes is capable of challenging

I think he was pretty keen on either the Collingwood job or the job that was coming up at the Blues with the Teague Train running out of steam...Teague was still the senior coach when Ross openly admitted he'd like to coach them

At one stage and then even though there were people working at Carlton that may not have wanted to work with Ross Lyon ( Brad LLoyd) he was still very interested in that job late in 2021. Once those two clubs made their choice it was basically Essendon or Richmond as the 2 'big Victorian clubs' left on his radar

Make of that what you will

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I think for my sake and for the fans sake I need to take a break

Sorry to all. I won't be leaving the site (bad luck Teflon :mrgreen: ) but just refraining from my normal routine of bagging Lyon.

Just letting it all out this year before I obviously start cheering for Ross The Boss in 2023

I can't keep bagging the bloke that will be coaching my team. It's bad karma 8-)

Not in the right spirit for this time of year :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I respect that Scallop

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 2:43am I think for my sake and for the fans sake I need to take a break

Sorry to all. I won't be leaving the site (bad luck Teflon :mrgreen: ) but just refraining from my normal routine of bagging Lyon.

Just letting it all out this year before I obviously start cheering for Ross The Boss in 2023

I can't keep bagging the bloke that will be coaching my team. It's bad karma 8-)

Nothing wrong with it ...
You can bag your pm/president and still love your country, and be no less of a patriot/loyal citizen (maybe it makes you more of one) ... or just be tolerating the "beep."
The 2 are mutually exclusive.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is the right fit. But it's not just him. It's Hayes, Harvey, Goddard, Misson, Walsh, as well. And it's the shift in approach from trading to drafting.

Total rebuild of the coaching team and a shift in strategy in relation to recruitment with a longer term outlook. With so many St Kilda people in the coaching panel, the focus will not just be their careers. Like us, they are invested in this club for life, so short term thinking for short term gain is something we won't have to worry about. Where we will be in 7 years is just as important as where we'll be in the next two.

I feel at last we are in good hands with a long term outlook for sustained success.

Whatever happens in 2023, we have now set the ship on the right course. It may take a while to build up to top speed. For the first time in over 15 years I feel some excitement around the group of youngsters we have drafted in the past 18 months. On that side of things, it's been well overdue. Can anyone remember the last time they felt excited to go to a Sandy match to check out our young talent?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 2:43am I think for my sake and for the fans sake I need to take a break

Sticking up for Ratts is a f****** good thing mate IMHO and we all at one stage or another bagged the current coach. I see nothing wrong with anything that you have posted unlike the posts of others who shall remain unnamed by me.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Mon 12 Dec 2022 11:16pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 12 Dec 2022 9:51pm
Josh Battle wrote: Sun 11 Dec 2022 11:18pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 11 Dec 2022 10:59pm
Regardless not sure what those “hard hitting opinion pieces” prove
The headline in the first article says it all

‘Chaos in the front office and a toxic culture at training: Why the Dockers had to sack Ross Lyon’

….but what is equally as concerning as the toxic relationships between player and coach and support staff and coach is the fact that the fans stayed away in droves. Did you read the last paragraph about their fall in membership in 2019?
Josh dear boy
The conversation is about Lyon Mk2 what he brings to the saints
The questions relevant relate to his ability to coach NOW
Can he develop a side? Will skills go backwards blah blah
It’s NOT a running dialogue of what happened at Freo and their “culture issues” which I’m sure were not all Ross Lyon’s doing
It’s as relevant as saying he was totally responsible for St Kildas culture when he left 2011
You’re spewing up dribble
How was Lyons relationship with players at Freo? Are you suggesting the entire playing list turned against him????
Or are you picking out opinion piece articles from nuff nuff journalists who wouldn’t be within a bulls roar of the inner sanctum
Better still…,why don’t you go back and find articles on how Lyon created a toxic culture (all by himself??) at Saints and how the player’s relationship with him was fractured???
I’m sure if you look hard enough you’ll find an “opinion piece” to suit the narrative your peddling but it still proves squat in terms of his coaching ability and what he brings to Saints Mk2
I’m probably older than you

….dear boy :mrgreen:

Just because you pretend to be a know it all authority, doesn’t mean much when it comes to predicting football outcomes and results for us under Lyon Mk 2. We’ll see how he responds to the pressures of L’s versus W’s after a couple of years back in the fold

I’m tipping a tough first year in 2023
Very brave of you old timer to predict we might struggle early
The club said as much

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I’m not letting you leave I’m calling out your BS and keeping you honest !!
Who else is gonna bag the club with you gone…oh wait…Vort still here…
Second thoughts…..don’t let the door…

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 10:35am

Sticking up for Ratts is a f****** good thing mate IMHO and we all at one stage or another bagged the current coach. I see nothing wrong with anything that you have posted unlike the posts of others who shall remain unnamed by me.
I might run to mods cause you called me nameless
What’s their number…you got it on speed dial?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 10:33am Lyon is the right fit. But it's not just him. It's Hayes, Harvey, Goddard, Misson, Walsh, as well. And it's the shift in approach from trading to drafting.

Total rebuild of the coaching team and a shift in strategy in relation to recruitment with a longer term outlook. With so many St Kilda people in the coaching panel, the focus will not just be their careers. Like us, they are invested in this club for life, so short term thinking for short term gain is something we won't have to worry about. Where we will be in 7 years is just as important as where we'll be in the next two.

I feel at last we are in good hands with a long term outlook for sustained success.

Whatever happens in 2023, we have now set the ship on the right course. It may take a while to build up to top speed. For the first time in over 15 years I feel some excitement around the group of youngsters we have drafted in the past 18 months. On that side of things, it's been well overdue. Can anyone remember the last time they felt excited to go to a Sandy match to check out our young talent?
We’ll said
Leave the “nameless “ nay sayers to do their thing

“Yeah….nah””
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 1:53pm
saynta wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 10:35am

I might run to mods cause you called me nameless
What’s their number…you got it on speed dial?
You obviously think you are more important to other posters than you actually are. :roll: :roll: :roll: Can't help yourself I suppose.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 1:54pm
cwrcyn wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 10:33am Lyon is the right fit. But it's not just him. It's Hayes, Harvey, Goddard, Misson, Walsh, as well. And it's the shift in approach from trading to drafting.

We’ll said
Leave the “nameless “ nay sayers to do their thing
There is no ' in well ffs.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Punctuated the well.
Knowing full well we live in the dryest club in the dryest continent.

Shame

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I did a search on Google trying to hear what Jacinda Ardern said and added the term 'arrogant prick'

Got a few hits with Saintsational posts from Teflon
#arrogantprick

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 2:35pm I did a search on Google trying to hear what Jacinda Ardern said and added the term 'arrogant prick'

Got a few hits with Saintsational posts from Teflon
#arrogantprick
:wink: :wink: :D :) :lol: 8-)

Josh Battle
Club Player

Here’s my optimistic take

Simon and Andrew want to turn St Kilda into a powerhouse Club.

Some bloke said “Why not us” and they went with it!

If they succeed in getting all the right structures in place for sustained success it will create a snowball effect that can help the club for many decades. Hell! We could become a ‘big Victorian club’!

Geoff will steer the ship and the legends like Banger, Lenny and BJ Goddard will keep the troops motivated and happy

Ross is up for the challenge to help us win our second flag.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

33%