Sydney Stack ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sydney Stack ?

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 10:31am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 09 Dec 2022 6:10pm From whats been reported Stocker is not setting the world on fire with his running. Perhaps Stack may offer more?
Stocker looked alright to me yesterday..he and Stack would add much needed physicality to our squad.
A poster on BF in the training reports suggested he was trialling badly in the 400 sprints - did you notice those?

Josh Battle
Club Player

Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 7:57am Stack is a genuine utility player, can play in all 3 parts of the ground, strong, tough and skilled.. yes a bit of a risk off field but we’ve been a passive team for too long..need some grunt!
We aren’t in the hunt for a flag in 2023 so I’d prefer to get games into our young draftees. If Richmond didn’t want him, that’s a red flag for me (perhaps just specifically regarding his fitness standards) and I’d steer clear.

He could be a like for like replacement for Ben Long and he comes cheap. The other positive is that he hasn’t got chronic injury concerns.

Two months ago Xavier Clarke was hopeful that Stack would ‘meet Richmond FC standards’ if he wanted a chance for a list spot at the Tigers. You can’t ignore the talent but you also can’t ignore the negatives. I’m not sure if he’s got the discipline

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/28/ ... er-chance/
Last edited by Josh Battle on Sat 10 Dec 2022 6:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 5:54pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 7:57am Stack is a genuine utility player, can play in all 3 parts of the ground, strong, tough and skilled.. yes a bit of a risk off field but we’ve been a passive team for too long..need some grunt!
He could be a like for like replacement for Ben Long and he comes cheap. The other positive is that he hasn’t got chronic injury concerns.

Two months ago Xavier Clarke was hopeful that Stack would ‘meet Richmond FC standards’ if he wanted a chance for a list spot at the Tigers. You can’t ignore the talent but you also can’t ignore the negatives. I’m not sure if he’s got the discipline

We aren’t in the hunt for a flag in 2023 so I’d prefer to get games into our young draftees. If Richmond didn’t want him, that’s a red flag for me (perhaps just specifically regarding his fitness standards) and I’d steer clear.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/28/ ... er-chance/
re: culture, my concern is not Stack himself, but on the corrosive effect he might have on others, short and long term. No idea if that's a concern with him now, or if pro-footy players are truly impervious to their team mates anymore.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Josh Battle
Club Player

The culture aspect is something Caroline Wilson worries about. All his team mates will want is for him to do his job on the footy field. If we throw him straight into the midfield that would be interesting wouldn’t it.

Does Stack have the tank and does he have the discipline to perform in the seniors week in and week out?

Does this mean our brains trust wants to shake up the midfield group or is he being considered as depth only?

I wonder how we’d go without Seb Ross or Brad Crouch in the guts? Perhaps even Gresh and other players who have played in the midfield (like Zac Jones) are looking to be replaced. I’m pretty sure that JB hasn’t been in the centre circle for quite a while. Hunter Clark also started to play more midfield minutes before his injuries in 2022.

If we pick up this guy, I think maybe the club is aiming for finals in 2023.

A fully fit and injury free Hunter Clark would be nice

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

B.M wrote: Fri 09 Dec 2022 5:09pm A piss head

Didn’t we learn from Lovett

Haven’t we got enough HBs

We just lost a 202cm power forward

How about replacing him?!
Yeah because 202cm power forwards grow on trees! And how did Geelong do with Tyson Stengle, and Stack is two years younger with very similar stats prior to last season

Josh Battle
Club Player

The Stengle trade was a good chance of succeeding because he had people around him at Geelong FC who he respected and Tyson had worked with previously and who were his mentors

Without the ‘connections’, it’s a high probability failure. Too high risk

It can only work if Sydney Stack has strong relationships with our current players or with assistant coaches who are already at St Kilda.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/why ... 5bjhd.html

Saintmike65
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 5:43pm
Saintmike65 wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 10:31am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 09 Dec 2022 6:10pm From whats been reported Stocker is not setting the world on fire with his running. Perhaps Stack may offer more?
Stocker looked alright to me yesterday..he and Stack would add much needed physicality to our squad.
A poster on BF in the training reports suggested he was trialling badly in the 400 sprints - did you notice those?
No but I did notice Stocker chasing NWM & didn’t lose any ground..the young man’s strong & tough, which we don’t have a lot of…Stack is the same but with more skill & aerial ability.
We need to fill all list spots, we haven’t got the depth not to!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 10:25am
B.M wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 9:56am He got Lovett right!
With the way we just changed coaches I'd say the club is up for risk taking...I actually am excited about how risky it's getting, we might as well give it a go, nothing else has worked for 150 years.
Geezus !!
I agree

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 8:46pm
Vortex wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 10:25am
B.M wrote: Sat 10 Dec 2022 9:56am He got Lovett right!
With the way we just changed coaches I'd say the club is up for risk taking...I actually am excited about how risky it's getting, we might as well give it a go, nothing else has worked for 150 years.
Geezus !!
I agree
ditto

Based on what I know (nothing) I say Yes!

Our midfield is weak IMO

But if he is in anyway a bad influence- I just hope the club sorts it out quick sticks.

Banger9798
SS Life Member

It's not a weak midfield, but it does lack starpower.
Until Owens, Windhager and Phillipou rip it up.

The Artist formerly known as Fugazi
saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://nit.com.au/13-12-2022/4517/st-k ... dney-stack

"

St Kilda appears set to swoop in late for Ballardong Noongar delisted free agent Sydney Stack, who has attracted Fremantle’s attention.

Stack returned home to Western Australia in the offseason since Richmond’s shock call to cut the Indigenous talent after four seasons and 35 AFL games.

The 22-year-old had taken up an offer to train with Perth, the same WAFL club from which the Demons junior was signed during the preseason supplemental selection period.

That last-ditch recruitment method could again save the agile utility’s AFL career after being largely ignored across the trade period and the ensuing draft.

Paul Peos, Stack’s manager, said his gifted client is focusing solely on an AFL career again after criticism levelled at his professionalism, fitness and commitment.

“Hopefully someone steps forward and provides him with an opportunity,” Peos said.

“He’s pretty open to going anywhere for a chance.”

St Kilda have begun to engage in ongoing conversations with Stack over filling one of two remaining senior spots on its list.

The directive in the conversations are believed to ensure the Saints’ fitness programs are strenuously followed 3,500 kilometres away from the Moorabbin training base.

Stack’s signature would bump up the club’s strong First Nations’ representation back to eight players.

After the departure of Ben Long to the Gold Coast and the retirement of Paddy Ryder, St Kilda drafted Indigenous athlete Issac Keeler from SANFL club North Adelaide via South Augusta.

Fremantle is also one of seven clubs, including Stack’s former Tigers, to still have one place to fill for next season.

AFL recruitment guru Michael Ablett has been very vocal that Stack’s experience and finesse is a perfect fit for the Dockers amid a loss of a number of experienced players.

Part of that advice from the former Western Australian talent pathways manager for Fremantle’s recruiting scouts comes from Stack settling better back in his home state.

Born in Northam, north-east of Perth, Stack was shuffled around family and different relatives growing up and lived in five different households before turning 17.

“Do Freo explore someone like a Sydney Stack that can come in?” Ablett told The West Australian.

“We know Syd has had his challenges and fallen out of favour a little bit for some of his errors off the field, but his on-field stuff is electric.”

Templar
Club Player

I watched 2 mins of the highlight reel and am all in.

Compare the hoo hah and 1 million per year dodgy de goey stuff, it would appear Stack will deliver much better milage per gallon.

Genuinely exciting prospect.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Need to know Syd's nickname:
Is it Smoke?
'Arbor?
Vicious?
SS?
Can tell a lot from the nic.
Richmond called him surplus.

Templar
Club Player

Who cares. Looks tough as nails, knows where the goals are, has poise in passing and team play. Will give all to prove his worth. Short contract, RTB in his ear. Bang.

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
Josh Battle
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 2:34pm Need to know Syd's nickname:
Is it Smoke?
'Arbor?
Vicious?
SS?
Can tell a lot from the nic.
Richmond called him surplus.
If Syd’s a ladies man, maybe ‘James’ might be appropriate. What’dya fink?

No good? Ok, Carry On

https://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/people/sid ... page.shtml

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... James.html

Templar
Club Player

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:12pm
Is it just me, or is this kid a hybrid of Long and Geary or what?

Sanctorum
Club Player

Templar wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 2:39pm Who cares. Looks tough as nails, knows where the goals are, has poise in passing and team play. Will give all to prove his worth. Short contract, RTB in his ear. Bang.
I agree Templar, I'm quite sure that under the new coaching regime Sydney Stack will get his act together and provide our team with some real magic of the type he displayed in his first year at Tigerland. In top form he's an automatic start up in best 22.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I am a bit sceptical regarding Stack, I have no doubt he can play, but does he have the maturity levels to cope back in Melbourne?

I think if he is going to make it, it will be back in Perth where he can settle with his family around him. The kid just hasnt had the start or a normal grounding to maintain the required discipline.

I hope he can find his way back and if it with us then alls good, but I would be going down the Stocker/Eyre path.

Templar
Club Player

I was ok with the idea of chancing Stocker but Stack seems to be at a completely different level. Could be anything. Has X factor and game breaker written all over him. Exactly what we need regardless of position.

And don't over dramatise his off field "indiscretions", at least the known ones.

Suspended twice (heavily) for what, breaking covid curfew? Whoopty do.

Come on down Syd, train up with Windy, Owens, NWM and co. Join the Sainters bubble in Melbourne under RTB and shake the world. Help us win a flag, make a name for yourself and get on the big bucks. Knuckle down for a few years Then go back to WA as a legendary 30 year old. Plenty of time to party in your 30s. We got room for you and the rest. Come on down.

I'm a big fan already. Hope it happens.

P.S. Do not go to the filth. That s*** doesn't wash off.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 7:20pm I was ok with the idea of chancing Stocker but Stack seems to be at a completely different level. Could be anything. Has X factor and game breaker written all over him. Exactly what we need regardless of position.

And don't over dramatise his off field "indiscretions", at least the known ones.

Suspended twice (heavily) for what, breaking covid curfew? Whoopty do.

Come on down Syd, train up with Windy, Owens, NWM and co. Join the Sainters bubble in Melbourne under RTB and shake the world. Help us win a flag, make a name for yourself and get on the big bucks. Knuckle down for a few years Then go back to WA as a legendary 30 year old. Plenty of time to party in your 30s. We got room for you and the rest. Come on down.

I'm a big fan already. Hope it happens.

P.S. Do not go to the filth. That s*** doesn't wash off.
Totally agree, these are the type of risks I'm ok with, and give 12 month contracts only and turn them over heavily. The bigger the risk the shorter the perseverance. If risky speculation picks like Stack don't deliver within 1 season then cut em.

That's the type of brutality I want to see. It's an elite environment that's only about money and silverware, no room for family BS and loyalty and all that other country club culture BS.

wally
Club Player

I’m on the fence with this one but…… Richmond just recruited Taranto and Hooper Dusty has stayed and should be fit plus they have Bolton they can afford to get rid of borderliners .
Maybe he will buckle down maybe not

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Risk for reward it's not like it's a first round draft pick . Marliyon Pickett was in similar position was a speculative pick with issues & has been pretty handy so I'm not too fussed nothing ventured nothing gained IMO

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 9:07pm Risk for reward it's not like it's a first round draft pick . Marliyon Pickett was in similar position was a speculative pick with issues & has been pretty handy so I'm not too fussed nothing ventured nothing gained IMO
Totally agree, if a player stuffs up off the field then so be it, as long as he is the premiership type then what he does in his spare time is his personal business. I don't get all this hypocritical morality BS stuff in the AFL especially when you consider the character of many executives in the industry and thier corporate sponsors. I mean crickey we have Lethlran as our CEO and there was that small issue Ross had over in Freo.

It's time we took more risks with players with regards to their offield reputation.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 9:51pm
bangaulegend wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 9:07pm Risk for reward it's not like it's a first round draft pick . Marliyon Pickett was in similar position was a speculative pick with issues & has been pretty handy so I'm not too fussed nothing ventured nothing gained IMO
Totally agree, if a player stuffs up off the field then so be it, as long as he is the premiership type then what he does in his spare time is his personal business. I don't get all this hypocritical morality BS stuff in the AFL especially when you consider the character of many executives in the industry and thier corporate sponsors. I mean crickey we have Lethlran as our CEO and there was that small issue Ross had over in Freo.

It's time we took more risks with players with regards to their offield reputation.

Taking recreational drugs is not considered to be 'stuffing up' by the majority of the population under 40. It is considered a right-of-passage. Getting caught most certainly is. Anyone who knows anything about addiction knows what sooner or later will happen when the media swoops on a thing like a football club...and lovely 'ol St Kilda in particular.

So we repeat the same ol rationalizations such as,

Associating at night clubs with convicted drug dealers is perfectly fine and none of anyone's business. Ask Worsfold..in 2002 and 2003...and then ask again in 2008.

Now why should this have anything to do with St Kilda in 2022, recruiting a wayward kid with talent? Absolutely nothing. Right? Even suggesting something untoward is tantamount to slander, bigotry but it is a good opportunity for people to start labeling one another, as "hotbranders" start heating up their virtuous and vile stamps. I think this is why it is such a hot button media go-to.

Ya think Sam Fisher hasn't wondered if he would have been better off sticking with golf? (He was a champ)

Edit: Self edit....but I'll leave it up. I realise the above sounds posturing and is just as virtue seeking as the target I aimed at...Slaps self...SG will improve.. Besides although a lot of virtue signaling among us anad all people is narrow , there is a bigger thing ..about our will to regulate/calibrate ourselves..