What a brilliant draft - well done Saints!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a brilliant draft - well done Saints!

Saint 58 wrote: Tue 29 Nov 2022 11:21pm So easy to get excited 😊 but definitely a good group of kids selected !
All four should get game time next year, some even early in the season

Coffield, Hayes, Clark all back
Windy, Owens, NWM - year two
Big year for Heath
Can Alison make it ... remember McKenzie getting a new contract, now a regular
Adams ?
Bytel ?

And of course RTB, Hayes, Harvey, Goddard

Can't wait for the preseason games, Round 1 and the years ahead !
It’s brilliant, is t it.
From the moment I realized Ratts was sacked I sensed something big was gonna happen, including getting Lyon. I’m sure many of us we’re the same. (No diss on Ratts whom we all love)
And now a good draft to go on top.

Now with selection it will be fascinating. I’ve read here that back in day, Lyon didn’t go big on playing youngens and maybe still so, but he also says he’ll delegate more so.

I generally lean in the direction of , let’s win the game’ rather than ‘let’s get games into the you gens’ but we will have to see, and if our list is really as mediocre as some say, these kids will se the light of game day!!
Onwards an up!!

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

2022 is develop young players year.

I'm expecting fringe/injuried players from 2022 like Billings, Jones, Paton, Wood, McKenzie and Webster, to be under immense pressure by young guns we have drafted in the last 12 months,who mirror the same attributes

No playing injured, no form slumps forgiven and no more than 1 or 2 games without results.

NVM, Windy and Mich should be pushing hard for best 22 and I reckon Pouey, Olli and Van Es could possibly feature next year.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 6:58pm 2022 is develop young players year.

I'm expecting fringe/injuried players from 2022 like Billings, Jones, Paton, Wood, McKenzie and Webster, to be under immense pressure by young guns we have drafted in the last 12 months,who mirror the same attributes

No playing injured, no form slumps forgiven and no more than 1 or 2 games without results.

NVM, Windy and Mich should be pushing hard for best 22 and I reckon Pouey, Olli and Van Es could possibly feature next year.
Yep, and if players like that get passed by the younger ones then they become trade targets / fodder, meaning the club gets something for them rather than simply delisting or allowing them the list clog.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Players earn their spots

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 8:34am What an incredible 6 weeks to be a saints person.. who would of thought we’d have such positive vibes after the shocking second half of this season.
Hopefully the footy gods shine on us in 2023!
I wonder what Ratts thinks of the effort we made in this draft. Would the selections have been the same if he was still coach ? He would have input.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 3:16pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 3:01pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 1:47pm Enjoy the euphoria while it lasts.
Who knows?

January 16th, 2023. Herald-Sun
New Saints recruit caught sniffing Coke at Gold Coast Party.

Feb 2nd
Young Saint crashes car, runs away. (Holding bottle of Bundy)

March 4
Saint tweets sin. Account closed.

Damian Barret and Caroline Wilson
‘Obvious Lyon has to stand down’
I am ever so glad you are a St Kilda supporter

Do you kick kittens too?
Nah, hasn't got past pulling girls pigtails.
You sure that's what he's pulling ?

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Killa
Club Player

What I do know is that Brett was the catalyst for a focus on junior development

And that he challenged our junior players to put pressure on, and surpass the older players

And to forge the future of St Kilda FC

Even with Steele, the challenge was you are good enough to write your own reputation, not tag

That challenge was accepted

Would we have replicated 2021 and focussed on the Draft in 2022?

The answer was in 2021 and Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Owens, Adams and Peris

Nothing has changed in regards strategy

Gallagher remains as List Manager - and very competent

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

The general picture of early analysis..17 hrs old..
https://www.afl.com.au/video/870102/dra ... 9630935001

And Saints TV
Go Jakey!

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 1:38pm
BadRossco wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 9:52am If RTB is up to his old form we are unlikely to see any of these picks for a long while and probably last years crop will be relegated to Sandy who should be more competitive next season,
That argument was easier to justify when the core group of players was Hayes, Goddard, Riewoldt, Dal, Monty, Ball, Milne, Fisher etc and the whole range of good players that were a class below

Point is that opportunities are far more available as the mantra is develop/turnover as opposed to challenge right away
And it's a sad commentary if we believe a AFL professional coach would sit on his hands for 12 years and never learn, grow or change in anyway.

RTB is definitely still a formidable presence but he is also different. He changed styles at Freo and when coaching there gave a great interview on Triple M. He talked about literally learning new ways to win, new ways to develop players...he said something interesting because the interviewer said, "how's that working for you" in reference to a piss poor season...Ross said...I'm learning .

That blew me away. I never forgot it. I don't recall seeing that man when he led the Saints.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 3:06am
skeptic wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 1:38pm
BadRossco wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 9:52am If RTB is up to his old form we are unlikely to see any of these picks for a long while and probably last years crop will be relegated to Sandy who should be more competitive next season,
That argument was easier to justify when the core group of players was Hayes, Goddard, Riewoldt, Dal, Monty, Ball, Milne, Fisher etc and the whole range of good players that were a class below

Point is that opportunities are far more available as the mantra is develop/turnover as opposed to challenge right away
And it's a sad commentary if we believe a AFL professional coach would sit on his hands for 12 years and never learn, grow or change in anyway.

RTB is definitely still a formidable presence but he is also different. He changed styles at Freo and when coaching there gave a great interview on Triple M. He talked about literally learning new ways to win, new ways to develop players...he said something interesting because the interviewer said, "how's that working for you" in reference to a piss poor season...Ross said...I'm learning .

That blew me away. I never forgot it. I don't recall seeing that man when he led the Saints.
Agreed on all points. And I would just add that even if you’re like me and really weren’t a fan of his previous run… RTB is here now, he got the job and deserves the same opportunity to rise or fall based on his own merits.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Credit where it is due the recruiters did well. Ross being coach would have virtually no impact on who we selected. So praise to the selectors
As for selecting guns or duds, that will become clear later on but on paper phenomenal draft.
We got Matteas ranked 2-10 depending on various mock drafts, a kpd for the future when our window should be opening and olli who was ranked top 20 in some drafts and would be higher if not for his attitude.
Enjoy the win sainters

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Most excited I’ve been after a draft for a number of years. I know they haven’t played a game yet , and maybe I’m swept up in the hyperbole of the last month or so but it just feels like we nailed it, and there is some growth potential in the list now.

And kudos to James Gallagher here - this was exactly his strategy that he articulated. All the whiners after the trade period slamming Gags for not chasing other clubs cast offs can now see that our list is shaping up nicely.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 8:40pm Players earn their spots
Thats what I'm hoping for.

Gershwin
Club Player

To be honest Phillipou just fell into our lap. And if it wasn’t him it probably would have been McKenzie so no credit to Gallagher is warranted. The top 10 players were pretty well known and we were always going to get the last one left.

Van Es was expected to go in the 30’s and you don’t have to be a genius to know we need a key defender. In fact we should have recruited one before this draft.

Hotton and Keeler were expected to be drafted earlier. They may prove to be bargains.

I think the job of the recruiter is vastly overrated. Any keen fan with a copy of a mock draft could have done the same.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 8:40pm Players earn their spots
Depending on who the player is...Hill has already been granted his wish to secure his "pet spot" on the wing.

That's one spot already that doesn't have to be earnt.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 9:40am To be honest Phillipou just fell into our lap. And if it wasn’t him it probably would have been McKenzie so no credit to Gallagher is warranted. The top 10 players were pretty well known and we were always going to get the last one left.

Van Es was expected to go in the 30’s and you don’t have to be a genius to know we need a key defender. In fact we should have recruited one before this draft.

Hotton and Keeler were expected to be drafted earlier. They may prove to be bargains.

I think the job of the recruiter is vastly overrated. Any keen fan with a copy of a mock draft could have done the same.
Short memory.

Do you also dismiss the skill of the pilots each time a plane lands ok. Simulators do the same job?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 11:00am
Gershwin wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 9:40am To be honest Phillipou just fell into our lap. And if it wasn’t him it probably would have been McKenzie so no credit to Gallagher is warranted. The top 10 players were pretty well known and we were always going to get the last one left.

Short memory.

Do you also dismiss the skill of the pilots each time a plane lands ok. Simulators do the same job?
In past years we have traded out of drafts and not had the opportunity to select the quality we did this year and last. Then even when we did have picks we tried to be too cute and picked flankers and expected them to become elite midfielders. Lets be bouyant and enjoy the turn around the last 6 weeks has brought and look forward to a bright future and impressed by what we see of our future stars.

Saintmike65
Club Player

We supporters have rightly been critical of our recruiting over the years but it’s safe to say this draft haul is the best since the early 2000’s but more impressive given we didn’t have the luxury of a cluster of early picks this time around.
The footy gods were shining on us with Phillipou, Hotton and Keeler all sliding.
Then, young McLennan being available as a cat B rookie, despite having a couple of other suitors.
I’ll go out on a limb here and declare Mattaes a once in a generation player..one that will end up about 194cm & 95kg.
And in the words of him, we performed highway robbery getting Keeler @ #44!!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

The strategy was to hold our nerve, hold our picks and go to the draft and identify some potential future A graders - not trade away our future again for some late picks and other clubs ageing stars, B grader looking for security, or some SANFL player overlooked in the past 3 years who may prove reliable but never an A-grader (I have no issues with using the rookie draft for that btw)

That may sound fairly simple but we’ve been surprisingly unwilling or unable to execute that strategy in previous years.

Agree that we we luck that Phillipou fell into our lap - but if it weren’t him, it was going to be a fairly handy prospect regardless. The draft pool depth was widely tipped to run to about 35 and whilst there was an element of luck , we also nabbed some seriously talented kids who are far less speculative than previous years and all have shown enough to suggest that if all the boxes get ticked they can make the grade .

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think you are forgetting our recent trading and draft history. You are right these are straight up and down decisions, but looking at history this has not always been the case.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/clubs/st-kilda

It would take a bit of effort to review pundit ratings vs our selections but I expect this year we are much more in line with them.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 11:38am That may sound fairly simple but we’ve been surprisingly unwilling or unable to execute that strategy in previous years.
You are correct on this.

The last time pre-2021 that we took a "full hand" to the draft was 2017, where we turned picks 7, 8, 35 and 46 into Clark, Coffield, Clavarino and Paton.

In comparison the 2019/2020 trade frenzy left us with - Butler, Hill, Howard, Jones, Ryder, Higgins, Crouch, Allison and Highmore (Over two years).

realdeal
Club Player

Killa wrote: Wed 30 Nov 2022 9:05pm What I do know is that Brett was the catalyst for a focus on junior development

And that he challenged our junior players to put pressure on, and surpass the older players

And to forge the future of St Kilda FC

Even with Steele, the challenge was you are good enough to write your own reputation, not tag

That challenge was accepted

Would we have replicated 2021 and focussed on the Draft in 2022?

The answer was in 2021 and Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Owens, Adams and Peris

Nothing has changed in regards strategy

Gallagher remains as List Manager - and very competent
Lucky we gave Kent a game in round 22 then..

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Vortex - you do know that Hill has won a B&F playing on the Wing and three premiership medals as well - on the wing

And his actual performances at StK is better than fans realise.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Yes. Thats how he demands big money, doesn't mean he isn't obliged to actually earn it.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Thu 01 Dec 2022 10:53pm Yes. Thats how he demands big money, doesn't mean he isn't obliged to actually earn it.
Yes
And doesn’t mean you house in Hampton, which you bought for 10,000 bucks in 1967 deserves 3.3 million today, due to your efforts to be a grand human being.