Private School intake Draft Day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Private School intake Draft Day

Another draft and the squads are over loaded with the private schoolboys. Cmon recruiters look deeper than your pockets.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Private School intake Draft Day

CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:39am Another draft and the squads are over loaded with the private schoolboys. Cmon recruiters look deeper than your pockets.
Ya think the posh schools are giving the recruiters a little extra on the side?

I mean, I guess it does add to the prestige of the school.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The problem is that participation rates in junior AFL football have plummeted in recent years. There just aren't many public school kids playing football at under 14 to under 16 level

Soccer has taken over

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:10am
CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:39am Another draft and the squads are over loaded with the private schoolboys. Cmon recruiters look deeper than your pockets.
Ya think the posh schools are giving the recruiters a little extra on the side?

I mean, I guess it does add to the prestige of the school.
Bit of that also the kids get preferential treatment.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:12am The problem is that participation rates in junior AFL football have plummeted in recent years. There just aren't many public school kids playing football at under 14 to under 16 level

Soccer has taken over
That simply isn't true.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:44am
cwrcyn wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:12am The problem is that participation rates in junior AFL football have plummeted in recent years. There just aren't many public school kids playing football at under 14 to under 16 level

Soccer has taken over
That simply isn't true.
Yeah it's not. They just don't get the same oppurtunity.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:47am
Beno88 wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 10:44am

Soccer has taken over
That simply isn't true.
Yeah it's not. They just don't get the same oppurtunity.
Once again that is your perception and nothing but excuse making.

Reality is most elite footballers, cricketers, athletes, swimmers etc get scouted & scholarship offers to private schools.

Given the number of elite athletes getting scholarships of course the concentration if drafted kids from Private schools is going to be high.

Take a look at swimming, I’d wager 99% of the national age group medalists between 13-18 are on private school scholarships.

If anything compared to other elite sports AFL % drafted to higher level would be significantly lower for private school kids.

Having been on the Board of a private school for 12 years I can tell you this:
- had meetings every year to scan talented athletes and offer them scholarships
- packages for kids whose families were struggling could include boarding, uniforms, camps etc. No out of pocket to family.
- had #1 draft picks and multiple drafted players in that time. All were on scholarships for “ general excellence” or similar.
- never paid a recruiter or did anything untoward.

Unfortunately certain people love to perpetuate the myth of private schools paying to get their kids advantaged.

If you are good enough and work hard enough you make it, if you don’t you make excuses.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Oracle what of the kids that live outside the radius of a private school?

Those that have left school.

Very different expectations of those from private and those that aren't.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

**BREAKING NEWS**

In a SHOCK development it has just been discovered wealthier people / institutions get preferential treatment in society.

More to come...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:22am Oracle what of the kids that live outside the radius of a private school?

Most top end private schools offer boarding opportunities for regional or interstate elite athletes. Those located outside of private school regions would be very few in numbers.

Please provide a specific example of this occurrence.

If they have left school for an apprenticeship or age, elite pathway programs such as the TAC cup are available.

If you can’t make it through there you need to perform at your club level or through a VFL club.

If that doesn’t work you can make all the excuses you like, but you just don’t have it.

What does this mean?
Please provide an example to explain this seemingly random comment that appears to make no sense.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:36am
CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:22am Oracle what of the kids that live outside the radius of a private school?

Most top end private schools offer boarding opportunities for regional or interstate elite athletes. Those located outside of private school regions would be very few in numbers.

If they have left school for an apprenticeship or age, elite pathway programs such as the TAC cup are available.

If you can’t make it through there you need to perform at your club level or through a VFL club.

If that doesn’t work you can make all the excuses you like, but you just don’t have it.

What does this mean?
Please provide an example to explain this seemingly random comment that appears to make no sense.

Give you two of many.

Boys from numerous high schools went down to Vic School Boys try outs there was at least 200 boys there. When they gathered them in the group the selectors announced 18 boys of the 25 to make the squad had already been pre selected based on there Private school football and weren't required to trial.

Second one was a young guy that smashed MOST of the TAC cup running records and was a genuine star was cut as a photo of him drinking appeared on social media appeared. A month later 14 members of the same TAC team were dragged across the coals for being under the influence at a popular night sopt.

All from a private school and all remained on the TAC list.
Last edited by CURLY on Thu 27 Oct 2022 2:47pm, edited 1 time in total.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Adam Simpson will be happy

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Looks like we're hurtling towards the US style of elite sports development.

Not sure I like that...It's very un-Australian where everyone is entitled to an equal chance.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

This is also what happens when we have governments who put the scalpel to education. Almost 20 years ago, that cretin John Howard and his government of the time started the precedent of cutting funding to public schools and giving more funding to private schools. But you know, Australians at the time hardly gave a damn :roll:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Exactly right Saintermist

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 2:28pm This is also what happens when we have governments who put the scalpel to education. Almost 20 years ago, that cretin John Howard and his government of the time started the precedent of cutting funding to public schools and giving more funding to private schools. But you know, Australians at the time hardly gave a damn :roll:
Victoria under Kennet was the biggest bully of them all. By the time I was a qualified teacher in ‘95, he had gutted the system, and all we could hope for was short term contracts and a continuous ‘hustle’ ….

One reason I checked out and went to Japan.

But Ross Lyon went to Lakeside High ..a good working class high school in a gritty northern neighborhood…he won’t recruit any private school boys…

…wait..the ‘new’ Ross Lyon is a changed man!

Oh well, there goes that.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

With all these private school boys around the club perhaps the wellness centre can hold classes in perverse sexual practice's .
I could do with a refresher course !

In red white and black from 73
Vazelos
Club Player

Many of these boys get scouted from other schools and come to an APS school as late as Year 11.
Example- George Wardlaw was a De La Salle boy went to St Kevins in Year 11.
Marcus Windhager was a St Bedes boy went to Haileybury in Year 11.
Admittedly the original schools in these 2 cases were Catholic Private but you understand my point.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Support of non-government schools has been a bipartisan policy for years.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 7:40am Many of these boys get scouted from other schools and come to an APS school as late as Year 11.
Example- George Wardlaw was a De La Salle boy went to St Kevins in Year 11.
Marcus Windhager was a St Bedes boy went to Haileybury in Year 11.
Admittedly the original schools in these 2 cases were Catholic Private but you understand my point.
As a De La boy myself I thought St Kevins sucked.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I had the privilege of going to an average High school for two years, a posh APS college for two years, and finished up at a gritty old suburban ‘Tech school’ (remember those?) ..
I am surprised I was not spotted for my brilliant medium pace bowling, but in those days, we never heard of kids getting poached by private colleges to play footy or sports.

It must have started happening post- nineties?

We hear about schools like Hailebury in the media and of course the Kings getting coached/mentored by Mathew Lloyd etc. I am sure it helps with these schools. They are probably pumping out their accolades on Social Media and via the press on a regular basis, or telling their alumni about the Kings etc., just in case some nieces or nephews come along.

But even in the late ‘70s, I noticed that in the high school, basketball and soccer were as popular or more popular than footy and cricket in the playgrounds at lunchtime. (You just needed a ball and a space) Where as at the posh school, kick to kick was still big. At the tech, we sat in the edges of the fields and smoked cigarettes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The elite private schools don’t need this extra government grant funding which on average makes up around 40% of their total yearly funding. They have to spend it somewhere so it mostly goes to funding large capital work projects like state of the art sporting facilities and music conservatories etc.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Interesting thoughts by some on here around private schools.

Whilst I respect each persons right to their opinion I do not agree at all with many of the above comments.
I went to a tech school and left at 15 but happily sent all my kids and provisioned for the grand kids to attend private schools.

I can't comment on what transpires now as I am out of the loop, but when I was a Board member of a private school I can comment on.

There was number in those days that the Govt attributed to the education cost of each student dependent on their year level.
Lets say that number at the time was $14,000 (ambit number).
At that time we were funded 1/2 of that number for each of our students.

Maybe that seems extreme given the school fees at that time in the senior years were $24-$28k (probably mid closer top $40k now).
Not all students came from well off families, many were two working parents with their major outflow school fees or funded by grandparents.

If the government stopped supporting the students, the fees would rise dramatically and many students would go into the public system, financially this would be disastrous for the government.

If you are paying $30K per annum for fees, you expect the school to be providing elite academic, sporting, music, drama etc facilities.

It is fair to say most people sending their kids to private schools are fair earners and paying reasonable amounts of tax.
Is it unreasonable that their children in private schools are receiving 50% of the allowance of a public school per student>

If private schools shut what is the impact on the public system?
How is this funded?

Also remember private fees were once tax deductible, why was this?
Because of the benefit the government received for not paying for a full child's education.
This was removed and if I am correct (was told this but have no first hand knowledge) funding students was a way to keep the schools viable at that point in time.

I recall receiving a building grant for a new gym and meeting with the local MP.
His comment was the Govt would continue to fund private schools as the whole system would break down if the private schools became nonviable.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:50am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 11:36am

What does this mean?

Give you two of many.

Boys from numerous high schools went down to Vic School Boys try outs there was at least 200 boys there. When they gathered them in the group the selectors announced 18 boys of the 25 to make the squad had already been pre selected based on there Private school football and weren't required to trial.

Second one was a young guy that smashed MOST of the TAC cup running records and was a genuine star was cut as a photo of him drinking appeared on social media appeared. A month later 14 members of the same TAC team were dragged across the coals for being under the influence at a popular night sopt.

All from a private school and all remained on the TAC list.
School boys, so Team VIC?
U12 or U15?

Doesn't team VIC go...
- District
- Zone
- Region
- Then multiple trials at Trinity or a chosen oval.

Which level are you referring to?

Are you suggesting 18 of the kids were selected because they went to private schools, not because they were the best 18 players in the region?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second young guy who is an absolute star and running machine.
Why hasn't he taken advantage of the multiple scholarships that would be on offer to someone at his level?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When two kids I am acquainted with won multiple gold medals at nationals in their chosen sport on the back of being trained in a small local club, they received offers from all over Australia to attend schools on full scholarships and focus on their sport.

If these kids are half as good as you think they are they would be receiving multiple offers.

If not perhaps they are making excuses and "cryin" like their mentor about all the injustices and how everything goes to the kids at private schools.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I’m not getting into the private versus public school debate because it’s a no win debate and a horses for courses issue as far as I’m concerned. I just reckon schools of the likes of Melbourne Grammar, Scotch and Geelong Grammar would survive and do perfectly fine without any government funding.

They also have very sophisticated donor/alumni/philanthropy programs to generate additional sources of funding.

Furthermore, both the public and private school systems are factories for lemmings.