Ross Lyon a huge get

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon a huge get

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 9:12am
Teflon wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 12:14am Love this bit

“I don’t like the narrative around St Kilda. Maybe it's deserved, but I think sometimes it’s a bit disrespectful. Hopefully it can get to a point where I can roll up the sleeves and help change that, hopefully.”
Ross Lyon

Chabge it up Rossy let’s stick the narrative right up a few clackers (including some Saint naysayers on here..)
It should be worrying that Walsh and Lyon are buying and validating the anti Saints propaganda line rather than spruiking a bright future. Lowering the bar for themselves? No vision? Are you with us or one of the stone throwers.
To fix a problem, you first have to acknowledge that there is one.
Are we feared? No.
Are we respected? Unlikely.
We are clearly not a destination club.

We need to fix all of that. The narrative around our club is poor. GT knew that when he came in and set about fixing it.
We've lost our way since then and it needs to be reset.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 9:51am

“I don’t like the narrative around St Kilda. Maybe it's deserved, but I think sometimes it’s a bit disrespectful. Hopefully it can get to a point where I can roll up the sleeves and help change that, hopefully.”
Ross Lyon

Chabge it up Rossy let’s stick the narrative right up a few clackers (including some Saint naysayers on here..)
It should be worrying that Walsh and Lyon are buying and validating the anti Saints propaganda line rather than spruiking a bright future. Lowering the bar for themselves? No vision? Are you with us or one of the stone throwers.
Are we feared? No.

We need to fix all of that. The narrative around our club is poor. GT knew that when he came in and set about fixing it.
Exactly.
When does that start.
Walsh and Lyon are just serving up the same negative narrative. Do they not see an upside in the playing group?
Our side is not bad. Its not all doom and gloom, the players deserve optimism not public acquiescence with all the negatives thrown at us.
If you are going to sack a middling coach you better come up with something better/cheerful/exciting, not just different or comfortably familiar.
So disappointed the Board is looking to the past for solutions to current/future issues. There are excellent contemporary coaches without baggage available, full of optimism and energy. Anyway if Ross gets the job we will all be behind him until we are not.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Huge get or just another huge mistake.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I read it differently. There's a difference between buying the negative narrative and acknowledging that it exists.
Ross Lyon stated that "From afar you watch and I don't like the narrative around St Kilda. Maybe it's deserved but sometimes it's a bit disrespectful. Hopefully it can get to the point where I can roll up my sleeves and get in and help change that."
That doesn't sound like someone "serving up the same negative narrative".

Neither Lyon or Walsh are officially employees of the club yet. Let's let them get in and start to change things.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon

I don't see it that way. I'm so glad that at last we have some people calling a spade a spade. They're acknowledging where our club is at as a starting point for building something much better. They're not slagging the club off. It's a breath of fresh air after 10 years of beige denial of our mediocrity.

Templar
Club Player

Good to see many have moved on from the body shaming. Poor old Rats looks quite trim beside Rossy.
Get on your bike clause the real reason for the delay?

Not "Simon Templar". He was here first. Please change my username to Bumstead and if possible make me one of those very large sandwiches, thanks!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Templar wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 11:28am Good to see many have moved on from the body shaming. Poor old Rats looks quite trim beside Rossy.
Get on your bike clause the real reason for the delay?
Yeah but Ross looks to me to be much more comfortable in his own skin. Ratts looked like a scruffy bloke drowning in self doubt.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

There are reasons for that

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon

Or just calling it as they see it???
Have you listened to the media lately????
How could conclude it’s anything but anti saints?
Strange post..

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 10:56am Huge get or just another huge mistake.
Riddle me this Batman:
What does
Sheldon, Tim Watson, Blight, GT, Watters, Ratten, Richo all have in common????

Part 2

What do

Alan Jeans, Stan Alves, Ross Lyon have in common???

You can take your pick of huge mistakes from 1st list batboy

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 10:44am
Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 21 Oct 2022 9:51am

Ross Lyon

Are we feared? No.

Exactly.
When does that start.
Walsh and Lyon are just serving up the same negative narrative. Do they not see an upside in the playing group?
Our side is not bad. Its not all doom and gloom, the players deserve optimism not public acquiescence with all the negatives thrown at us.
If you are going to sack a middling coach you better come up with something better/cheerful/exciting, not just different or comfortably familiar.
So disappointed the Board is looking to the past for solutions to current/future issues. There are excellent contemporary coaches without baggage available, full of optimism and energy. Anyway if Ross gets the job we will all be behind him until we are not.
This just shows how seriously out of touch with how bad things have been at Moorabbin for 11 years some people are..
Sad

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Stav BF great post

I didn’t say anything about contending. So I’ll be a clear.

If he wins a flag - clearly he is ultimately a success.

But we are so far behind relevancy right now and have so many issues. That whenever he is done - it can’t be as simple as a flag or bust.

The ultimate metric will be - what condition is the club in when he is done.

If it is better, it allows progression without the next person needing to nuke the joint and stomp on the cockroaches- then that is also a success.

The reason he is coming back. Is because Watters/Richo/Ratten ultimately have all failed to bring the club back to relevancy let alone a flag discussion.

George, post Lyon - we might not need another Lyon if he is successful. Someone like McCrae could be successful. He won’t be now in our current situation.

Ultimately - if people go in with the mind set that it is flag or bust don’t understand the magnitude of the situation.

“Yeah….nah””
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty sure part of RL's brief will be to groom Lenny as a coach in waiting.

Maybe Lyon will achieve so much success within five years that Lenny gets a senior gig elsewhere -- everyone's happy.

Maybe Lyon scores a flag, become immortal, and retires at sixty with Lenny seamlessly taking over -- everyone's happy.

Maybe Lyon fails miserably, gets sacked and Lenny takes the top job -- oh well, great to see Lenny at the helm.

Saints58
Club Player

He is not the messiah he just a naughty boy

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I thought he was a huge git - oh a get, OK!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Huge get of our worst nightmare?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 10:37am I thought he was a huge git - oh a get, OK!
:wink:

Gershwin
Club Player

A comment by a Fremantle supporter after 2018:

"The Dockers play some of ugliest, least attacking, most shutdown football in the competition, although that in itself isn’t a bad thing, the plan they’re running with just isn’t working. Fremantle aren’t attacking focused and it’s killing them as soon as an opposition figures out their defence."

We know that is Ross Lyon's style of football, and I for one am not looking forward to it.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 1:18pm A comment by a Fremantle supporter after 2018:

"The Dockers play some of ugliest, least attacking, most shutdown football in the competition, although that in itself isn’t a bad thing, the plan they’re running with just isn’t working. Fremantle aren’t attacking focused and it’s killing them as soon as an opposition figures out their defence."

We know that is Ross Lyon's style of football, and I for one am not looking forward to it.
Lol no mention of half side and gun players (Fyfe and others missing) decimated by injury ????
For balance why don’t you quote them from 2013-2014 with a 70% win rate?
To suggest Lyons fane style can’t adapt /won’t adapt is just dumb - Brayshaw and other players have already acknowledged he’s astute enough to keep up with the game
Best hid under your bed early in the season …I’ll give you a buzz when it’s safe to come out!

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

My earlier posts in this thread were when I had initially heard about the possibility of Ross Lyon returning. I hold my hand up and admit that my blood was up and my thought processes were not quite as rational and pragmatic as they need to be for a St Kilda footy club supporter!.......... though in my own defence, my feelings were/are sincerely held.....at times passion and commitment can get in the way of calm and rational thinking..... (a wee bit like love?) does that make me an "emotional trainwreck" :roll: well, yes in the eyes of some! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look, If its to be Ross Lyon, then so be it! I committed to this club without condition. My practical reservations about the appointment lie, not (entirely) in the manner in which Lyon left us, (I'm not privy to all the facts behind it) but rather his record at Freo toward the end of his tenure there. To go from Grand finalists to 16th on the ladder in the space of a single season concerns me. Lyon's final seasons were less than spectacular, and that concerns me. The bloke has been out of footy since 2019 and the game has changed dramatically......... remember Blight had been a premiership coach THREE years before coming to us! We all know how THAT worked out!

I'll be behind the side WHOEVER coaches us!........ I just can't be creaming my jeans over the prospect of Lyon coming back, If that upsets some folk... then I really dont give a continental!

Go Saints! (To Hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

In Ross we trust

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

More evidence

Brownlow Medallist's high praise for Ross Lyon ahead of looming St Kilda appointment

Brownlow Medallist Jimmy Bartel has given some high praise for impending St Kilda coach Ross Lyon.
After the sacking of Brett Ratten last week, Lyon is poised to return to the Saints and fill the vacant position, bringing 305 games of senior coaching experience to the club.
During his 12 year coaching career, Lyon garnered a reputation for his firm style, however Bartel praises him for being able to bring the best out of players.
“You hear a lot of the great players who have played under Ross Lyon are glowing in their references towards him,” Bartel told Sportsday.
“From the outside looking in, what he was able to maximise out of some players, no disrespect to them, who weren’t in the top half dozen of their side.
“He backs his players in, as much as he can by all means strip the paint, they play for him.”
Broadcaster Shane McInnes agreed with Bartel, believing Lyon’s style is exactly what the Saints are after.
“100 per cent they do (play for him), and we know that he’s got a harder edge than some other coaches,” he said.
“St Kilda has made it clear that’s what they want.”
“The all-time great sprays in my first year, that would have any new recruit heading to St Kilda shaking in their boots.”
St Kilda are yet to appoint Lyon as their senior coach, however the man himself has confirmed the two parties are “very close” to coming to terms.
Broadcaster Shane McInnes agreed with Bartel, believing Lyon’s style is exactly what the Saints are after.
“100 per cent they do (play for him), and we know that he’s got a harder edge than some other coaches,” he said.
“St Kilda has made it clear that’s what they want.”
“The all-time great sprays in my first year, that would have any new recruit heading to St Kilda shaking in their boots.”
St Kilda are yet to appoint Lyon as their senior coach, however the man himself has confirmed the two parties are “very close” to coming to terms.

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 5:00pm In Ross we trust
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: GOLD! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote: Sat 22 Oct 2022 1:18pm A comment by a Fremantle supporter after 2018:

Here’s a comment from a Freo fan yesterday

I don’t care what anyone thinks, I believe Lyon is the best coach in the AFL. If it wasn’t for the s**t show of S&C department at Freo:
We wld have won several premierships doing his tenure
His rebuild would have been complete within four years
He would have never been sacked.

If you get Lyon, St Kilda will be 2nd favourite team. You guys will be box office. I am very jealous. My coach can barely string 2 words together.

Good luck!!!

“Yeah….nah””
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Teffers, the fact that you are wetting yourself over this is not going to influence anybody. Settle down and let's wait and see what happens. Of course we all loved winning under Ross (and under GT - and whenever we win obviously) and we mostly agree he got the best out of some pretty ordinary blokes but most of us hated the style of play and hated watching good players be role players. And let's not forget that - love them as I did at the time - they've turned into some of the most arrogant ex-players ever to not win a premiership (save lenny, of course - we all love lenny)! They routed Watters, wouldn't accept any criticism. They're the ones to thank for bringing in Richo - someone who wouldn't answer back to them. So the fact that they now want Rossy to coach St Kilda - well, who knows what drives them.

Like others, of course I'll barrack for the club whoever they install as coach and of course I hope he leads us to a premiership.

But I also secretly hope this is all pay-back and that on Monday they'll announce we're getting Caracella. Oh, how I'd hug myself then, watching Ross Lyon crawl back into his box.