Ross Lyon a huge get

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon a huge get

I haven't read every post on this thread but I like a few in here still have doubts over Lyon's ability to develop and bring through young players and take a middling team to the top

On both occasions (with us and Freo) Lyon took over mature teams that were primed for success .... there was no major development required but to his credit he was able to instill belief, add a last layer of polish and with a little luck he could have a had a few Premierships to his name

I think he has a lot more on his plate this time round and if he wants success then he will definitely have to bring younger players through and develop a few from scratch .... because our current best 22 probably ain't ready yet unlike his previous teams

Hopefully he doesn't ignore our fringe players where they find themselves outside his infamous bubble ..... if he decides to undertake this approach again

All aboard the Ro$$ train .... I guess

Go Saints :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
groupie1
Club Player

Ross Lyon has 3 philosophies:

You need to be:
top 4 in attack
top 4 in defense
top 2 in contest

So, I don't see us going back to his Saints style despite changes in the game. He's smarter than that.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Saints58
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 6:15pm
sks023 wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 12:47pm I thought it was bad coaching not giving Ball the minutes in 2009 and you beg to differ ....Matter of opion

I support whomever is our next coach but Lyon is not my preference
Do tell oh Robbo who is your preference who has better credentials and is available right now???
A premiership coach Marc Williams would be a great choice he is touch and took port to multiple finals.
He has worked at Richmond, and currently at Melbourne so has a winning culture.

sks023
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 9:53am
sks023 wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 12:47pm I thought it was bad coaching not giving Ball the minutes in 2009 and you beg to differ ....Matter of opion

Do tell oh Robbo who is your preference who has better credentials and is available right now???
A premiership coach Marc Williams would be a great choice he is touch and took port to multiple finals.
Would be my choice if available

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
sks023
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 10:14am

At the risk of getting Curly started again Lyon admitted it was a mistake not giving Ball more minutes in the 2009 Gf

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 10:17am

At the risk of getting Curly started again Lyon admitted it was a mistake not giving Ball more minutes in the 2009 Gf
Coaches that lose games always look back at mistakes made during a game. Hell even coaches that win games would have things they'ed change.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

In the other 'longer thread' on Lyon I have mentioned the competitive juices of players and I think the fact that Ball was dropped earlier in the year made him more determined to play at his best to secure a spot for finals

Lyon didn't see that he could have used the entire list leading up to the last home and away game to keep the players sharp so that they don't miss out on a spot

Lyon made a mistake playing just his favourites and he made a mistake not resting guys who were not 100%. He's also a stubborn prick and it cost us in that GF in 2009

sks023
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 10:32am

Coaches that lose games always look back at mistakes made during a game. Hell even coaches that win games would have things they'ed change.
Fair enough

SaintWiki
Club Player

I'm more interested in knowing what questions the club selection panel will be asking, such as what he thinks the reason was for losing 10 games in a row at Fremantle in 2016 and dropping from ladder position 1st to 16th in one year and then remaining well out of the top 8 in his last 4 years as a senior coach. What is his strategy for professional development for players not on the senior list, and how he will monitor players development who are not on the senior list, including new recruits. How can he improve the development of poorly performing players currently getting games but not improving that we'll end up being stuck with for the time being - to me these are just as important as the obvious questions.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 11:55am I'm more interested in knowing what questions the club selection panel will be asking, such as what he thinks the reason was for losing 10 games in a row at Fremantle in 2016 and dropping from ladder position 1st to 16th in one year and then remaining well out of the top 8 in his last 4 years as a senior coach. What is his strategy for professional development for players not on the senior list, and how he will monitor players development who are not on the senior list, including new recruits. How can he improve the development of poorly performing players currently getting games but not improving that we'll end up being stuck with for the time being - to me these are just as important as the obvious questions.
:? :? :?:

Selection panel for what!?

Isn’t it kind of moot if there is only one candidate… clearly this is more of a ‘got your man’ scenario

SaintWiki
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 12:03pm
SaintWiki wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 11:55am I'm more interested in knowing what questions the club selection panel will be asking, such as what he thinks the reason was for losing 10 games in a row at Fremantle in 2016 and dropping from ladder position 1st to 16th in one year and then remaining well out of the top 8 in his last 4 years as a senior coach. What is his strategy for professional development for players not on the senior list, and how he will monitor players development who are not on the senior list, including new recruits. How can he improve the development of poorly performing players currently getting games but not improving that we'll end up being stuck with for the time being - to me these are just as important as the obvious questions.

Isn’t it kind of moot if there is only one candidate… clearly this is more of a ‘got your man’ scenario
Looks like it - same old same old!

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SaintWiki wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 12:18pm

How is this "same old, same old"
We've used a selection panel to select Lyon, Watters, Richo, and Ratten (even though he was the encumbant).
Lyon is a known quantity at the club and left becuase we stuffed him around.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Don’t know how I feel about it

No process got us Tim Watson, Malcolm Blight and GT
A very detailed process got us RL, Watters, Richo and Ratten

Watters in particular appeared to be highly vetted from what I read of the process at the time and is arguably the worst of them.

Seems to me that there are no guarantees either way

It always boils down to the same thing… look at the stats, history, social factors, strengths, weaknesses etc and make a choice.
Success comes with a good choice and failure with a bad.

The advice is make sure you choose well

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 12:38pm

Watters in particular appeared to be highly vetted from what I read of the process at the time and is arguably the worst of them.

It always boils down to the same thing… look at the stats, history, social factors, strengths, weaknesses etc and make a choice.

Almost seems like the "process" is irrelevant, doesn't it?

How many horrible coaches had great credentials / interviewed well?

For me just find a great leader, someone who can inspire the team, and go from there.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
sks023
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 12:48pm

For me just find a great leader, someone who can inspire the team, and go from there.
Hitler :P

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 10:33am

In the other 'longer thread' on Lyon I have mentioned the competitive juices of players and I think the fact that Ball was dropped earlier in the year made him more determined to play at his best to secure a spot for finals

Lyon didn't see that he could have used the entire list leading up to the last home and away game to keep the players sharp so that they don't miss out on a spot

Lyon made a mistake playing just his favourites and he made a mistake not resting guys who were not 100%. He's also a stubborn prick and it cost us in that GF in 2009
Crap. Absolute complete crap.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

sks023 wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 1:01pm

Not sure he's available!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
sks023
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 1:14pm

Not sure he's available!
Livig in Argentina i heard

cps
Club Player

Who would the assistants be?

sks023
Club Player

cps wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 2:07pm

Who would the assistants be?
Don't really want to get in the territory of bad taste,so I will leave it there

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

What sort of "process" do you think Clarko went through at North?
My guess is that it would be something like..."tell me what you'll do with the list we've got and how can we support you to get it there?"

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Exactly

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I want to wish Ross Lyon a huge get xxxxxx

Also…I think he will do well….

Financially

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I’m very glad we’ve taken the old school approach and are eschewing a “process”. That’s just a get-out clause, so that when things go tits up the powers that he can claim due diligence.

If we just appoint a man at least is shows someone down there is making the decisions.

Think it will be Ross, with Lenny to take over 2-3 years down the track if things work out okay

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lyon hasn’t coached in over 3 years. I hope Bassett has got all his ducks lined up. He’s no fool.

I found Lyon to be very clear and impressive on FC.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.