Ross Lyon?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon?

If Lyon is not the guy then what are the alternatives?
Another untried coach? Who is game enough to give it a go knowing they will be sacked in 3 years time. What do you do then?? I don't think many want to touch St Kilda.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Most untried coaches would jump at the chance to be offered a senior gig at an AFL club

.....oh and another thing

Why didn't any team in the last three whole years sign up the super coach Ross The Boss?

Freo sacked him in August 2019 (over 3 years ago) and sacked the CEO who was his biggest supporter after he failed to get them into finals for 4 consecutive years.

St Kilda is obviously much smarter and much better run than all the other clubs

groupie1
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 3:42pm He's a known quantity.

He's demanding of the players and accepts nothing less than 100% effort and commitment

His ex players from St Kilda love him and think he's a great coach

He won't be wishy-washy in his approach

He'll take no crap from the media

He's meticulous and organised as a coach

After seeing what we got from Watters, Richardson, and Ratten, Ross Lyon is an attractive option.
I agree here in terms of how different he is to Watters, Richo and Ratts.
Butler, Hill would have been dropped this year ala NDS and Milne and been better for it.

He is also the champion of the underdog, so if we think our list isn't that great (I don't entirely agree our list is all that bad), then he'll get roles into the fringe players and make them better.

And ya know.... I reckon he'll look at Gresham/Zac Jones in the eyes and demand so much they'll be eyeing off All-Australian. A guy like Zac would really benefit from Lyon.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
markp
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 11:57pm
markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 11:23pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:43pm
markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:50pm People can (and certainly do) argue till the cows come home about who wronged who, or how good a coach he was or may yet be... but short of moving interstate, it's hard to imagine any one thing the club could do that would likely alienate so many of St Kilda's most fervent supporters.

How much success would it take to win them over or back, and how much time would be given before the howling started if that success was not forthcoming..?

It's a seismic, win or die decision.
Is it really???
I’d argue after 11 years of nothing but in the wilderness,woke, beige coaching by Mr Nice guys the worst thing the club could’ve done to alienate supporters was to continue to do what we’ve been doing under Richo and Ratten
Our last season under Lyon we played finals and everyone knows the list was cooked - senior players have said it
Milne today was interesting….he’ll do whatever it takes, work 16 hour days to get this club back where it belongs…
I’m ok with that dedication- a few might get bruised along the way ….but we’ve been a bruise free club way too long

I don't personally disagree with you about his ability as a coach, or likely your view on the circumstances of his leaving.

And yes we have a chasm to jump, and chasms can't be jumped in two leaps.

But the baggage here is filled with dynamite, and I hope it's been weighed very carefully.

There are lots of passionate Saints supporters with enormous misgivings about Lyon, loathing even.

Looking awfully like a done deal, let's hope those with misgivings are soon turned around.
Apart from Lyon being a liar and a snake oil salesman, I don't think he has what it takes to lift our team to get St Kilda to climb the ladder and close to being a flag contender.

I say Lyon is the wrong call. He needs others to lay the foundations at a football club and he needs star players out there ( leaders on field) to drive excellence.

He took 18 months or more to get going at St Kilda the first time. He took less time when he went to Fremantle (approx. 12 months). This time round we will know pretty much in the first 6 months whether we made the right choice. If he makes finals in his first year, I will STFU... like Barrassi said to Healy..."Give me possessions and I'll shutup!!"

And you are one of the more reasonable 'haters'! :P

If enough passionate Lyon haters can commit to getting a Ross The Boss tattoo on their arse if he takes us to a flag I feel the footy gods may just lift our curse... because they plainly love a good laugh at Saints fans more than anything.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

We have a B grade list. Workmanlike. 1 elite player in Steele

I doubt any coach takes us to finals in the first year. And the holy grail is to be at least 4 years away and that requires everything going right from a draft, trade and development perspective

This is nowhere near the list Lyon got in 2006 or 2012 for that matter

#1 Ryder fan
Lennylegs
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 7:07am We have a B grade list. Workmanlike. 1 elite player in Steele

I doubt any coach takes us to finals in the first year. And the holy grail is to be at least 4 years away and that requires everything going right from a draft, trade and development perspective

This is nowhere near the list Lyon got in 2006 or 2012 for that matter
Though I agree our list isn't close to the lists we had in 2006, I'd say no club has a list of that quality at the moment. Talent has been significantly watered down thanks to expansion.

I'd also say that there's more quality on our list than you give us credit for. Sinclair and Wilkie elevated themselves this year. Max King will get to elite standard with some more help with goal kicking. I still don't believe Ro Marshall has reached the age and experience where a ruckman really begins to peak.

We've also got a whole lot of players that haven't even settled yet. I still don't know where guys like Gresham, Clark, Coffield, Billings, etc, are best suited. Hopefully Ross can provide some clarity for these blokes and actually find out if they can play.

I've talked about those players in a previous post so I won't go on. But I don't know. I reckon there's a massive unknown with this list. At least Ross will be able dig deep into it and find out where it stands. We won't be under any illusions after that. And that in itself will be an asset to the club.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 12:58am Most untried coaches would jump at the chance to be offered a senior gig at an AFL club

Why didn't any team in the last three whole years sign up the super coach Ross The Boss?

Freo sacked him in August 2019 (over 3 years ago) and sacked the CEO who was his biggest supporter after he failed to get them into finals for 4 consecutive years.

I agree with you in that virtually all untried coaches would jump at the chance of coaching the Saints, and probably most of the tried ones.

As an avid ingester and archiver of all media things AFL, you know very well why no team has signed RTB as coach, even though FOUR of the big clubs APPROACHED HIM.
He was almost at the finishing tape at Carlton, but they changed the rules at the last minute, and told him to go back to the start, and it was a hurdle race. He pulled out, which shocked the blues. Would have made finals this year under Ross, with their list.
Collingwood was a no go due to their instability at the top at the time, and the Geelong option was assisting Scott, which he didn't really fancy.

As for Essendon, he got the phone call from Jason Blake, advising him to just hold off for the moment, there may be something coming up he may fancy. Ross loves the Saints, doesn't he?

All the same, will be a tough gig coaching the Saints, I wish him luck, assuming he takes the role.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 12:58am Most untried coaches would jump at the chance to be offered a senior gig at an AFL club

Other clubs wanted him he didn't want them. Make no mistake he was top of Collingwood Carlton and others list.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The last 5 words in takeaway’s post are worth noting…

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Ross Lyon has failed and failed again. We lost grand finals because he insisted on keeping well below par players on the list. We had some great players on the list who were largely able to cancel out the VFL standard ones. But in the grand finals they got found out

Ross Lyon would doom us to more years of failure.
We know he will give us a negative gameplan.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:18am The last 5 words in takeaway’s post are worth noting…

So will he flinch when his lawyer tells him the Saints have another 6 month get out clause on offer?

As many smart people know, it's going to be a huge challenge....You're not calling Ross a chicken are you?

Funny... ironically I wrote a post a couple of years back where I thought it would be better for Lyon's win loss ratio if he never got another senior gig...

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:20am Ross Lyon has failed and failed again. We lost grand finals because he insisted on keeping well below par players on the list. We had some great players on the list who were largely able to cancel out the VFL standard ones. But in the grand finals they got found out

Lovett plays 2010 we win. Gardiner doesn't do a hammy in the GF we most likely win. Roo doesn't tear his hammy off the bone in 2010 we win.

None are Lyons fault.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

He has knocked back Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And the get out clause is AFL sanctioned of course, due to the Saints being an assisted club

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:26am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:18am The last 5 words in takeaway’s post are worth noting…

So will he flinch when his lawyer tells him the Saints have another 6 month get out clause on offer?

As many smart people know, it's going to be a huge challenge....You're not calling Ross a chicken are you?

Funny... ironically I wrote a post a couple of years back where I thought it would be better for Lyon's win loss ratio if he never got another senior gig...
There won't be a 6 month clause, otherwise he wouldn't even be talking to us.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

He also knocked back taking on McGowan in WA and Albenese in Canberra

Most recently he knocked the role of Governer General of Australia...and he told Charles he'd love to help out Truss, but he's had some issues working with women

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:31am
Scollop wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:26am

There won't be a 6 month clause, otherwise he wouldn't even be talking to us.
His lawyer has photos of Gil does he?

Ratts must have had a crap lawyer and manager

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 11:23pm
Teflon wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 8:43pm
markp wrote: Mon 17 Oct 2022 7:50pm People can (and certainly do) argue till the cows come home about who wronged who, or how good a coach he was or may yet be... but short of moving interstate, it's hard to imagine any one thing the club could do that would likely alienate so many of St Kilda's most fervent supporters.

How much success would it take to win them over or back, and how much time would be given before the howling started if that success was not forthcoming..?

It's a seismic, win or die decision.
Is it really???
I’d argue after 11 years of nothing but in the wilderness,woke, beige coaching by Mr Nice guys the worst thing the club could’ve done to alienate supporters was to continue to do what we’ve been doing under Richo and Ratten
Our last season under Lyon we played finals and everyone knows the list was cooked - senior players have said it
Milne today was interesting….he’ll do whatever it takes, work 16 hour days to get this club back where it belongs…
I’m ok with that dedication- a few might get bruised along the way ….but we’ve been a bruise free club way too long

I don't personally disagree with you about his ability as a coach, or likely your view on the circumstances of his leaving.

And yes we have a chasm to jump, and chasms can't be jumped in two leaps.

But the baggage here is filled with dynamite, and I hope it's been weighed very carefully.

There are lots of passionate Saints supporters with enormous misgivings about Lyon, loathing even.

Looking awfully like a done deal, let's hope those with misgivings are soon turned around.
No question his appointment will divide some and there is some PR to do but I’d argue the best tonic fir that is winning
That’s on any coach really but agree Lyon will wear it even more so - he’d know that but I suspect doesn’t shy away from it
I do think Nettlefold escaped relatively unscathed from the messy departure…his incompetence has not been discussed much just Lyons decision to quit and Freo’s smart move to pounce.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:28am
ralphsmith wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:20am Ross Lyon has failed and failed again. We lost grand finals because he insisted on keeping well below par players on the list. We had some great players on the list who were largely able to cancel out the VFL standard ones. But in the grand finals they got found out

Lovett plays 2010 we win. Gardiner doesn't do a hammy in the GF we most likely win. Roo doesn't tear his hammy off the bone in 2010 we win.

None are Lyons fault.
Spot in with facts
Herald Sun opinion addicts just don’t get it
Ffs go listen to his past players….do they feel betrayed by Lyon???? Not 1
They know the full story abd what he brings

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The G Train Legacy wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:29am

He has knocked back Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon.
And North before Noble
Facts are useful when dealing with muppets I find

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:07am

I agree with you in that virtually all untried coaches would jump at the chance of coaching the Saints, and probably most of the tried ones.

As an avid ingester and archiver of all media things AFL, you know very well why no team has signed RTB as coach, even though FOUR of the big clubs APPROACHED HIM.
He was almost at the finishing tape at Carlton, but they changed the rules at the last minute, and told him to go back to the start, and it was a hurdle race. He pulled out, which shocked the blues. Would have made finals this year under Ross, with their list.
Collingwood was a no go due to their instability at the top at the time, and the Geelong option was assisting Scott, which he didn't really fancy.

As for Essendon, he got the phone call from Jason Blake, advising him to just hold off for the moment, there may be something coming up he may fancy. Ross loves the Saints, doesn't he?

All the same, will be a tough gig coaching the Saints, I wish him luck, assuming he takes the role.
Bang on!

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nettelfold was widely condemned for his incompetence at the time, whatever happened there.

Nasty piece of work from what I’ve heard. The the apple never falls far from the tree either.
Last edited by SaintPav on Tue 18 Oct 2022 8:57am, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I have wondered if Ross just wants to be wanted at this stage of his life and the old fire and determination has gone.
He has had a lot of disappointment, a lot of slings and arrows and would be under extreme scrutiny: which makes life pretty uncomfortable.
He is on a kicking to nothing, if he/team loses his supporters will find excuses but the rest of us and the footy community will be less forgiving of him and the President.
It will be expected we make finals as a minimum. No point in sacking Brett unless there is significant improvement, but most recent history suggests Ross has lost whatever magic he had.
What would have been the most recent coaching success he put on the table at the meeting. He's been away a long time. It may not be just a case of offering the job, when it comes to the crunch he may decline, knowing the magnitude of the job and his current limitations, when actually faced with the decision.
Alternatively Mr President may just be covering all bases and be able to say Ross was given every opportunity to convince, like Brett was.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

He's been in the media, earning money for sitting in front of a camera.
Then he has his side gig of real estate or something, which apparently isn't just a hobby.
Milne says '16 hr days' 🤯
Can Lyon lose his real estate/property gig to totally focus on us?
When he was coaching, he was full-on, according to Milne. Milne saw him 10 yrs ago.
Now Lyon has another income stream which takes up a big chunk of his time. He's not the same Lyon.
Can he give the role his full attention?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It'll be fun earning a $1 million pa and if it doesn't work out... there's a stack of media outlets out there ready to re-employ him