YOUR CHOICE FOR NEXT COACH

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: YOUR CHOICE FOR NEXT COACH

Scollop wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 3:55pm I think Firey should do a poll

Everyone knows it's not the board at St Kilda who makes the decisions..... It's the saintsational board

CURLY and Teflon will pass on the results to Lethlean and Bassat so that they can fulfil their promise to quickly appoint a new coach
Agreed
My last poll obtained the required results 😉despite vortex’s misgivings 😊

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 4:20pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 3:42pm
The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:57pm
The G Train Legacy wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 2:54pm
saintbob wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 1:07pm
Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:01am
bigcarl wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 7:33am I guess we’ll follow the modern trend of running a “process”. I can see why clubs do it as it gives them an “out” when things go tits up, some sort of plausible deniability.

Would be refreshing if the club just picked someone and backed them in.
I agrree. If Lyon wants the job, give it to him. Spare us the charade.
f*** OFF, if they give it to Lyon after the way he f***ed the club over then they can go and get f***ed they’ll never get another cent out of me!
You then may very well end up contributing those cents to a swear jar rather than StK FC. I bet someone has already said yes to the job and Rossy would be on a very short list of possibilities.
Did Lyon f*ck over the club, or did the club f*ck up not re-signing Lyon?
Lyon f*cd over the club.

I went through this in detail over the journey… he slowed the process of extending his contract down… then stopped it when he smelled a better off and then used the Saints to up Freo’s offer.

Then he signed with them without giving us the opportunity to match as he wanted to move on as he knew Freo was the better prospect

Glorious work it was
That's your view anyway, I don't think the club were very efficient in re-signing him at the time.
I don’t believe the facts support that at all especially noting that he was already contracted to the end of 2012 and the issue at play was an extension. Remember the infamous back door provision that we copped flak for!

Anyway… I’ve posted at length about this many times which your more then welcomed to look up and the information that was shared through the media paints a very clear timeline of events that I’ll briefly share here but I can’t be assed trying to hunt it down now.

Here are the facts…

From mid season the Saints opened contract negotiations and RL’s management shut it down themselves
At some point during the period of time talks were closed, RL was contacted by Freo and began negotiating with them with his new firm
RL then reopened talks with the Saints in the lead up to finals
Post our finals exit, his management let it be known that RL and the Saints agreed to terms
He then signed with Freo a day later

It’s very clear that from around the time RL stopped talks, he began negotiating with Freo and played us (unknowingly) off against each other to up there offer.

RL clearly and rightly wanted to go to Freo as they were on the way up and we were on the way down + he got a bump. He tentatively agreed to terms with them to make Freo acquiesce to what he wanted and the fact that he never gave the Saints the opportunity to match, revealed his hand that he didn’t want to sign with us from around the time he stopped talks.

Foolish to think otherwise
Last edited by skeptic on Fri 14 Oct 2022 5:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

It was actually worse if I remember correctly.
His management agreed to a Press Conference to announce the extension and we’re completely blindsided by his Freo appointment. I believe they also represented Mark Harvey and do RL used a lawyer to negotiate the deal with Freo so that neither Harvey nor his manager would know about it.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What about Dean Cox?

Has been at Sydney under Longmire since late 2017 and highly rated internally there

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What is Leppitsch’s record as Senior Coach?

Less than 25% from memory

Lenny Hayes?

Seriously

Has he ever ran a program?

Pyke- is he a failed coach? What’s his record?

Hird - what did he ever actually achieve as coach, besides cheating

Choco
- crazy old man

Ross - is a hard c*** and is ruthless and knows the game

Bucks - always makes sense

My choices
- Ross
- Buckley
- Pyke

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If fig is chosen I will take a holiday

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Prefer a non recycled head coach

Think Mick Malthouse / Robert Walls were the last recycled coaches to win a Premiership when they hadnt won one before at the previous clubs they coached at

We need some fresh blood
Last edited by Devilhead on Fri 14 Oct 2022 6:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Someone with a bit of mongrel and clear leadership please
No touchy-feely new age types
Footy is a game of passion and white line fever ,
I want someone who hates losing and doesn’t just shrug their shoulders when we lose

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
sks023
Club Player

I would love to see Mark WIlliams at helm

Look out kids, they keep it all hid
Saintmania
Club Player

I'd go and ask Craig Bellamy if he was interested. Let Lenny handle tactics and go get the best coach in Australian sports' history. He is a motivator of men who sets high standards and calls it out when his players aren't meeting those standards. Sounds stupid, I realise, but f@&$ me, nothing has worked since '66 so we really have nothing to lose.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 5:14pm
bigcarl wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 7:33am I guess we’ll follow the modern trend of running a “process”. I can see why clubs do it as it gives them an “out” when things go tits up, some sort of plausible deniability.

f*** OFF, if they give it to Lyon after the way he f***ed the club over then they can go and get f***ed they’ll never get another cent out of me!
You then may very well end up contributing those cents to a swear jar rather than StK FC. I bet someone has already said yes to the job and Rossy would be on a very short list of possibilities.
Lyon f*cd over the club.

I went through this in detail over the journey… he slowed the process of extending his contract down… then stopped it when he smelled a better off and then used the Saints to up Freo’s offer.

Then he signed with them without giving us the opportunity to match as he wanted to move on as he knew Freo was the better prospect

Glorious work it was
That's your view anyway, I don't think the club were very efficient in re-signing him at the time.
I don’t believe the facts support that at all especially noting that he was already contracted to the end of 2012 and the issue at play was an extension. Remember the infamous back door provision that we copped flak for!

Anyway… I’ve posted at length about this many times which your more then welcomed to look up and the information that was shared through the media paints a very clear timeline of events that I’ll briefly share here but I can’t be assed trying to hunt it down now.

Here are the facts

From mid season the Saints opened contract negotiations and RL’s management shut it down themselves
At some point during the period of time talks were closed, RL was contacted by Freo and began negotiating with them with his new firm
Post our finals exit, his management let it be known that RL and the Saints agreed to terms

It’s very clear that from around the time RL stopped talks, he began negotiating with Freo and played us (unknowingly) off against each other to up there offer.

RL clearly and rightly wanted to go to Freo as they were on the way up and we were on the way down + he got a bump. He tentatively agreed to terms with them to make Freo acquiesce to what he wanted and the fact that he never gave the Saints the opportunity to match, revealed his hand that he didn’t want to sign with us from around the time he stopped talks.

No "facts" in there, just media reports, which vary depending what you look at. Has been gone through ad infinitum previously, so I will just disagree. Can't prove anything either way.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 12:10pm
WellardSaint wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 11:56am
spert wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 11:48am
meher baba wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:38am As I posted on another thread, not Yze: we’ve had enough of the Clarkson tradition.

I reckon Enright looks like he has the makings of a terrific coach. It would be a bold and exciting move, and I like those. He comes from the current gold standard setup at the Cats.

The quality of the guy is such that he wouldn’t think he was ready yet. But he could be given a mentor.
Enright is one of the most highly regarded guys at Geelong, and I would love to see him as coach. He came to the Saints to broaden his coaching skills- probably to return to Geelong down the track.
Enright is firmly ensconced in the club.
Admin know him, all the players know him, he's sat thru heaps of meetings, everyone knows what they're getting.
He's effectively done a very long interview.

He knows what we have, which outsiders don't know much about. Oh, Buckley, Yze etc just see our players on TV, but Boris really knows them.
And Boris has talked with Gags so there's a shared knowledge about what type of players we need.

Natural progression.
Smooth, organic, common sense.
We can't go interviewing prospects, it takes time and it's a gamble.
I reckon the club has made the call on Boris ages ago.
They like what they see, they think he's better than Ratts, so they went 'bang'
Enright lives in Geelong.
Wouldn't make the move.
Part-timer

St Kilda said OK to that.

Not OK for me.
Tony Brown lives in Barwon Heads.
Been commuting since 2014 or so.
Enright has been great for the back 6.
Why did the club get Boris if he's only part-time?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 6:50pm

Lyon f*cd over the club.

Glorious work it was

Here are the facts

No "facts" in there, just media reports, which vary depending what you look at. Has been gone through ad infinitum previously, so I will just disagree. Can't prove anything either way.
The facts are there and on the record. RL has outline some of timeline himself, Freo has said bits and pieces, people from the club have commented etc. You refusing to search for them doesn’t make them less factual… it just makes means your head is in the sand which is your choice

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 4:54pm Sacked: Ratten - 2109-2022
Sacked: Richo - 2014-2019
Sacked: Watters - 2012-2013
Quit: Lyon - 2007-2011
Sacked: Thomas - 2001-2006
Sacked: Blight - 2001
Sacked: Watson - 1999-2000
Sacked: Alves - 1994-1998
Sacked: Sheldon - 1990-1993
Quit: Baldock - 1987-1989

eeeek

i could nearly define my life
by where i was
and what i was doing
as i heard
another of our coaches getting the bullet

fair faux dinkum
It's quite obvious from this that Ratten has seen the future and doesn't like what he sees. To be hired in 2109 and fired 87 years previously. He knows.

He was spared the haranguing of the footy press in 2023 is for starters dodging a massive bullet..a cannon ball.

Imagine by Round 12 next year, if the Saints were 4 and 8, which is quite possible, how this would play out. Being door-knocked and car-stopped like Terry Wallace was at Richmond in his last months, not pleasant.

Knows 87 is an unlucky number too.

I'm still sad for Ratts though..aren't we all. Seriously, a bummer.

By the way, I don't blame Ross Lyon for using a lawyer to get to Freo. What was he supposed to do when their standing coach shared the same manager?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
damienc
Club Player

sks023 wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 6:04pm I would love to see Mark WIlliams at helm
The first sensible suggestion.

takeaway
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 7:21pm

Lyon f*cd over the club.

Glorious work it was

Here are the facts

The facts are there and on the record. RL has outline some of timeline himself, Freo has said bits and pieces, people from the club have commented etc. You refusing to search for them doesn’t make them less factual… it just makes means your head is in the sand which is your choice
Sigh.... There's no facts and there's no record. That is the problem with a lot of people nowadays, they believe whatever they choose to read. Gullible.

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

inside mail is that this bloke has already appointed himself as coach

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

And president, assistant coach, media liaison officer, and list manager

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:11pm

Lyon f*cd over the club.

Glorious work it was

Here are the facts

Sigh.... There's no facts and there's no record. That is the problem with a lot of people nowadays, they believe whatever they choose to read. Gullible.
The club made a meal re-signing Lyon. But equally, once he finally smelt the coffee, I think he was always leaving. He was an ambitious boy and he wanted a flag. In no way, shape or form, was he interested in rebuilding the list. His best 22 at Freo during their so called glory years (e.g, Zac Dawson still at fullback) is testimony to this.

If anyone thinks Lyon has any interest in rebuilding the Saints is equally as gullible.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Rubyjo
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:42pm
takeaway wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:11pm

Lyon f*cd over the club.

Glorious work it was

Here are the facts

The club made a meal re-signing Lyon. But equally, once he finally smelt the coffee, I think he was always leaving. He was an ambitious boy and he wanted a flag. In no way, shape or form, was he interested in rebuilding the list. His best 22 at Freo during their so called glory years (e.g, Zac Dawson still at fullback) is testimony to this.

If anyone thinks Lyon has any interest in rebuilding the Saints is equally as gullible.
That's along time ago now ..priorities change ..life experiences bring different considerations over time . Lyon was on a mission in his early days ..maybe he has gone from young bull to old bull where he is more considerate and patient.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

No guarantees we’ll end up with someone better that Ratten.

If they go with Ross then they have overrated the list.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Royston
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 11:37am
Bruce G McAbee wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 10:58am
shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:54am
Bruce G McAbee wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:10am I see Lyon as a regressive step and his game plan is obsolete. It won't get close to the Geelong's or Melbourne's style of play.
What game plan?

Tell me what is Ross Lyon’s game plan now?

You surely don’t think he is frozen in time?

From my peep hole he looks pretty switched on the modern game plans.
He had 4 attempts at winning a premiership and only once did his teams get double figures in goals and that was just 10.
I want new, progressive and innovative.
You did not answer my question.

What is Ross Lyon's game plan in 2022?
You think he has been living in a cave since 2010?

And what is wrong with having four attempts at winning a premiership? Can you even imagine being that relevant again. Geelong failed 3 times in the 90s then..?
Chris Scott... ten years..of not winning, and being relevant and then winning.
Spot on....need to make the finals to lose a GF....we have made finals once since RTB left.
I know many have a sour taste in their mouth with how he departed....I don't know the full story so very hard to have an
accurate take on this...
Guy can coach.....Carlton & Essendon were super keen.
If it was between him and Harvey / Hayes / Hird, I know who I'd prefer....a no brainer if fact

As above, those who think he wouldn't have evolved his game plan and also be fluid enough to tailor to the playing list
really have NFI about this.

Royston
Club Player

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 11:52am Not head coach, but for forward coach and even though I don't like him, we should approach Steve Johnson.
Just appointed at Yarrawonga, moving his family up to where he grew up.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Raising the spectre of Lyon presumes all of Walsh, Lethlean, Bassett and Blake feel he is a really good fit.
I can't see how they possibly can.
Also he left both Freo and us thoroughly disliked by their communities.
Just lazy media chat padding time between adds.
Also Ross must know he is not up to the challenge and wants to preserve his media slots.
McCrea has shown there is no need to recycle and there is contemporary talent around that can communicate with modern players.
Ross is so yesterday. We yearn for past success but he can't turn back the clock or reinvent his coaching sufficiently, IMO.