YOUR CHOICE FOR NEXT COACH

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: YOUR CHOICE FOR NEXT COACH

Sacked: Ratten - 2109-2022
Sacked: Richo - 2014-2019
Sacked: Watters - 2012-2013
Quit: Lyon - 2007-2011
Sacked: Thomas - 2001-2006
Sacked: Blight - 2001
Sacked: Watson - 1999-2000
Sacked: Alves - 1994-1998
Sacked: Sheldon - 1990-1993
Quit: Baldock - 1987-1989

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I posted on another thread, not Yze: we’ve had enough of the Clarkson tradition.

I reckon Enright looks like he has the makings of a terrific coach. It would be a bold and exciting move, and I like those. He comes from the current gold standard setup at the Cats.

The quality of the guy is such that he wouldn’t think he was ready yet. But he could be given a mentor.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saints58
Club Player

Is this sacking anything to do with the Hawthorn inquiry he was there then and the club getting in early so it wont affect our pre season?
How about Cory Enright, Not noble he is doing review.

older saint
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:35am Sacked: Ratten - 2109-2022
Sacked: Richo - 2014-2019
Sacked: Watters - 2012-2013
Quit: Lyon - 2007-2011
Sacked: Thomas - 2001-2006
Sacked: Blight - 2001
Sacked: Watson - 1999-2000
Sacked: Alves - 1994-1998
Sacked: Sheldon - 1990-1993
Quit: Baldock - 1987-1989
Baldock didn't quit due to his stroke he was unable to continue, he came back but just wasn't able to get the message across. Lyon is the only one who jumped ship.

older saint
SS Life Member

How about the best person for the job selected by people who have been successful in recent years and have little links to the applicants.
Lyon was selected this way and as a coach was great.

No more than 1 Stkilda person on the panel either - perhaps Roo. People like Buckley, Worsfold, Selwood should be there as they all bring recent success, or near too.
Clubs that talk about wanting a StKilda person, or and Essendon person or a north person ... can you see the pattern here. The argument is they need to know our culture - our history and culture is not one of success so clearly we need to move in a different direction.

jackal
Club Player

older saint wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:52am How about the best person for the job selected by people who have been successful in recent years and have little links to the applicants.
Lyon was selected this way and as a coach was great.

No more than 1 Stkilda person on the panel either - perhaps Roo. People like Buckley, Worsfold, Selwood should be there as they all bring recent success, or near too.
Clubs that talk about wanting a StKilda person, or and Essendon person or a north person ... can you see the pattern here. The argument is they need to know our culture - our history and culture is not one of success so clearly we need to move in a different direction.
Exactly. Why a "St kilda person" whatever that means. A fan of the club? Not sure that's a prerequisite qualification. A coach, like a player, becomes a st kilda person when they join the club. Any history is irrelevant. It's not politics.
and surely there has been some sort of process already. At least a tight short list. It's not like there is a large pool of candidates and the industry is borderline incestual. They know who is out there. Just need to do some due diligence

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

1. Ross Lyon

The optimal fit for this list. With so many players in that 22-26 range, we need to get someone who can organise the group and accelerate us towards the top end of the ladder.

Would much more make us competitive, instantly. Would prevent us falling into further mediocrity.

2. Nathan Buckley (and R Harvey)

The 1-2 of these two would be a small pass mark in my eyes. Buckley couldn’t be closer to being a premiership coach and Harvey is his most trusted lieutenant in footy. They come as a package deal. The knock on Buckley is that McRae looks far superior in terms of tactics and team unity. I just wonder if he’s capable of extracting talent from this list.

3. The next McRae

This would be ideal but I don’t see one out there available immediately. I like GT’s Beveridge idea but he won’t leave there. I wouldn’t consider Hird for many reasons, but I would consider Don Pyke. He’s had a massive impact at Sydney, and has learned from his (huge) mistakes at Adelaide (much of it beyond his control). Culturally, Sydney will have added the missing piece to his bow.
Last edited by evertonfc on Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:38am As I posted on another thread, not Yze: we’ve had enough of the Clarkson tradition.

I reckon Enright looks like he has the makings of a terrific coach. It would be a bold and exciting move, and I like those. He comes from the current gold standard setup at the Cats.

The quality of the guy is such that he wouldn’t think he was ready yet. But he could be given a mentor.
Enright isn’t quite the right personality to be a head coach in my eyes. You’ve got to be so much more publicly.

Agree on Yze, however. The Clarkson thing only works because of Clarkson himself - the rest of them were merely in his shadow.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

suss
Club Player

We can't go back to Lyon - too much baggage.

And I don't like the concept of a failed coach like Pike or Leppitsch (and I hate Leppitsch from his playing days).

The best coach in the game is Longmire, but good luck prying him out of Sydney. We missed that boat when we appointed Lyon.

It seems like the best assistant is the way to go. Too soon for Enright I think. I don't know much about Yze, but if he's the next most likely to make it, then probably him.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Scott Burns or Justin Leppitsch

No more cuddly coaches.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

There is only one phone call to make, one option, Ross Lyon. We've never been able to replace him, so it's time to get him back.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:11am
meher baba wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:38am As I posted on another thread, not Yze: we’ve had enough of the Clarkson tradition.

Enright isn’t quite the right personality to be a head coach in my eyes. You’ve got to be so much more publicly.

Agree on Yze, however. The Clarkson thing only works because of Clarkson himself - the rest of them were merely in his shadow.
It’s far more important to me that the guy can coach than that he’s a great TV talent. Anyway, Enright always comes on TV as down to earth and sensible.

However, if we have to have a bigger personality, then I reckon Buckley would be a good choice. He’d do a lot for our profile. There’s a bit of baggage from the allegations by Lumumba, but for various reasons I don’t think these are likely to have a lasting damaging effect in the way that the Hawthorn-related stuff is likely to do.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Someone who can motivate the playing group would be nice.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Re Lyon: if we could get the 2009-10 version of the man back now, that would be great. But where’s he at these days? One feels a little uneasy. I reckon Buckley - who also clearly has a really good football brain - would be a less risky option.

- Jonathan Swift
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:34am Someone who can motivate the playing group would be nice.
They are professional athletes. If we are relying on a coach to motivate them, then we are in more trouble than we realise.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Bruce G McAbee wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:10am I see Lyon as a regressive step and his game plan is obsolete. It won't get close to the Geelong's or Melbourne's style of play.
What game plan?

Tell me what is Ross Lyon’s game plan now?

You surely don’t think he is frozen in time?

From my peep hole he looks pretty switched on the modern game plans.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Why the love for Buckley?

Steady decline at Collingwood year on year, replaced and the next season they are top 4.
Why the f#ck would we look at him?

Because he loves the sound of his own voice in the media?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
saint1974
Club Player

Long time reader, rarely post, may get shot down here, I would love to get Joel Selwood as an assistant, love him or hate him, he represents everything you want in a player, strong leadership,tough and never give in, he has only left the game, along with Lenny these two guys are looked up to in the football community, he is also great mates with Enright, just an opinion, I know one thing I definitely don’t want Hird.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I’m not someone who has ever said “I’m not renewing my memberhip if….”
However!
I will 100% not renew my membership if I see James Hird announced as coach.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
suss
Club Player

I'd much prefer a senior assistant than a failed coach. I wonder if Dean Cox would be interested. He's had an excellent apprenticeship.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 7:20am I wouldn’t mind Lyon but I feel the list is not good enough for him to succeed.
Maybe a Buckley no nice guys
No thanks, the Tosser Flosser is a turd.

Tommyj
Club Player

Forget lyon passed it , leppa coach Mark Williams manager development and Lenny assistant then we'll see what players we really have got

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I don't envy those who have to make the decision. It's one of two ways. A new, energetic coach with new ideas or a known quantity who you know can handle the cut and thrust and has the strength of character to drive a group and demand the best

The fact that we sit in that middle zone of the ladder makes that decision even harder.

To me, it's Ross Lyon or Adam Yze, and at this point, although I've had issues with Lyon's defensive mindset, at least I know he has the skills to get the best out of players and the kind of character that doesn't crack under pressure, I'd go with him.

Never though I'd ever say that, but there it is.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Someone had the guts to sack Ratten - despite the weak and predictable ‘process’ that led to his resigning and the outside worlds witch hunting, blood sucking angels that sing songs of ‘compassion’

That takes massive balls.
Cudos for that.

My bet is that they announce Choco or Lyon.

Hird a chance?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Bruce G McAbee
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 9:54am
Bruce G McAbee wrote: Fri 14 Oct 2022 8:10am I see Lyon as a regressive step and his game plan is obsolete. It won't get close to the Geelong's or Melbourne's style of play.
What game plan?

Tell me what is Ross Lyon’s game plan now?

You surely don’t think he is frozen in time?

From my peep hole he looks pretty switched on the modern game plans.
He had 4 attempts at winning a premiership and only once did his teams get double figures in goals and that was just 10.
I want new, progressive and innovative.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.