Feared and Revered

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Feared and Revered

SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 4:45pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 3:01pm Long had quarters where he showed he could be A grade. But, couldn’t do it consistently enough.

Maybe he was about to go to the next level or maybe we’ve already seen his best. Time will tell.

I still think (like the Cripps & Hickey deal) we got chump change for him.
They were probably trying their best to accommodate Ben.

They don’t seem ruthless enough.

It’s the St Kilda way.
The St Kilda way to bend over and take it??? LOL - the joy continues!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 7:02pm
SydneySainter wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 3:01pm Long had quarters where he showed he could be A grade. But, couldn’t do it consistently enough.

Maybe he was about to go to the next level or maybe we’ve already seen his best. Time will tell.

It’s the St Kilda way.
It appears so, SD.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 8:08pm

It’s the St Kilda way.
It appears so, SD.
At least as supporters we know to bring our own Vaseline (to stop the sweat getting in our eyes of course)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 8:10pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 8:08pm

It’s the St Kilda way.
It appears so, SD.
At least as supporters we know to bring our own Vaseline (to stop the sweat getting in our eyes of course)
:?

:lol:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Why not us?
Lol

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 11:46am
Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 10:31am
takeaway wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 8:19am
Scollop wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 9:29am
Munga wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 8:35pm I'm not sure we have a team to be feared. Too many guys think they bring game, but crumble under pressure.
We were feared in Round 9 this year.

In my down time I often watch Saints games

I watched one of our best wins for 2022 last night. It was this Round 9 game I speak of when we played the Cats

We had a few blokes who were epic in the way they made the opposition players stop in their tracks every time they were near the football.

We’d come off 2 losses in a row in Round 7 against Port in Cairns and then Round 8 we lost to Melbourne at the MCG.

In the first half Geelong were the better team and their forward entries were more efficient. Their centre clearances looked better and their ball use was generally cleaner. The commentators were constantly singing the praises of their structures and talking down the Saints

It was a Saturday twilight game at Marvel, so it was exclusively a Foxtel game. I thought I’d watch the game with the sound turned up (which is not what I usually do) because at least I knew I didn’t have to listen to BT, Luke Darcy or Ling on special comments. They had Anthony Hudson and Jonathan Brown with Jordan Lewis and Cam Mooney on the boundary.

In that first half, Steele, Crouch, Wood, DMac, Ryder, Marshall, Battle and Ben Long were fearless and up for the fight.

At half time the Cats were in front and easily the better team. In typical wanker commentators fashion, they highlighted a few good plays from Geelong and Mitch Duncan in particular and went totally negative on the work of Ben Long who was his direct opponent at times.

What they didn’t discuss was the absolute speed with which Ben Long chased down the Cats players in that first half. His kamikaze style and his ferocity was outstanding. Dan McKenzie was also playing a similar role, but it was Long who had better opportunities to impact and get body contact on opposition players when there was a loose football that had to be contested. He hurt them too. And…he did it fairly

Ben Long’s pressure was off the charts and he spoiled and he crashed into about 3-4 of their midfielders and their playmakers at various times in that first half and it had a huge impact in the way they went about their football in the second half. We beat the cats at stoppages after half time. Paddy Ryder had a brilliant game and it was a great team effort with Crouch, Gresham, Marshall, Zac Jones, Mason Wood, Jack Billings, Seb Ross and our defense all playing their roles.

It was the game that Higgins was subbed out early with Windy coming in and also Jack Steele did his shoulder but gallantly played on and contributed to our midfield rotations. Plus the fact, I think we had Gresham, Billings and DMac in the team all at the same time with nearly our best squad.

But I was wondering…did the way Long attacked each contest have an affect on the way the Cats played in that 3rd quarter? Of course it did

Unfortunately we’ll need others to step up if we are going to be up for the fight next year when we take on the best teams
I'm going to miss your Loooooooooooong posts. Yes, he did have a good 3rd Qtr Round 9 v the Cats, and no doubt helped the Saints get on top in that term. Was serviceable for the other quarters, although Mitch Duncan did create problems, often when he was Long's opponent. Longy didn't get in the best players anywhere did he?
Are you now going to watch the next match, round 10 vs the Crows? Long generated 1 kick, 3 handballs, couple of tackles for the match. Be interested in your report.

Therein lies the problem with Long, and is why the Saints only offered a measly contract for the next 2 years. Hope he can string together a few good games at GCS and maintain that standard. He didn't at the Saints.
The whole point of my post was to highlight that stats aren’t everything. In round 9 if you exclude Ben’s chasing, pressure acts, bumps, spoils, and tackles he only got 11 touches and only 3 were kicks. According to some other posters they’d call that a poor game.

They look at the stat sheet at the end of the game after having consumed 15 pints of beer and they conclude that Long was average.

That’s actually what happens! They then go onto the fan forum and bag our players who have performed their role. Duncan did a few good things. Big deal. Did you know how many of his kicks were from playing on after we scored a behind? Duncan was involved in a few scoring chains and some goal assists - yes! But…Long was involved in more scoring chains and more goal assists!! Did Mr Jordan Lewis point that out in the 3rd or fourth quarter? No he fkn didn’t!!

Then you have other posters who rely on the special comments guys on the t.v to tell them who played well, when most of the commentators also just look at a stat sheet at the end of the game.

By the way…did the coach drop Ben Long after the round 10 match. No he didn’t! He isn’t consuming gallons of piss like most of the fans who frequent fan forums. Long has never been a big possession getter so why would a coach even contemplate including him in the team based on his touches?

Ben Long was one of the most influential players on the ground for the winning team that day against Geelong. AND …that’s not for his touches in the second half…IT’S for what he did in the first half with his pressure and his ability to hurt the opposition with beautifully timed hip and shoulder bumps and his ferocious tackling.

Any football follower with any ounce of footy knowledge who was at the ground (without Jordan Lewis in his ear) would tell you that Long made the Cats players hear footsteps for the majority of the second half. They underestimated us, we played well as a team, and their mids were gun shy in the second half.
As I said, Long was good in the 3rd and serviceable in the other Qtrs. I didn't say he was poor. Duncan was better though. Long one of the most influential players on the ground? Nope. Why wasn't he in the best players anywhere?

Saints won because they played better as a team in the 2nd half, after staying in it 1st half. Cats players hearing footsteps in the 2nd half? - rubbish. It's 2022, not 1980.

Long probably wasn't dropped after poor game vs Crows because weren't Butler & Higgins out injured? Also Steele out & others. Lucky for Ben. But he did get dropped a couple of rounds later. In the latter half of the season he was playing for a decent new contract. Didn't do enough consistently to earn it.
You haven't even watched the replay. You're going off a fkn stat sheet. You're so predictable it's pathetic

Human beings are still human beings in 2022, like they were in 1980

Here is some facts. Long crashed and bashed the Geelong midfield in that first half. He sprinted into the centre square at a few of the centre bounces and he caused collisions

I watch our players a little closer than most of the journos who write for the papers or for AFL.com or Foxtel.

I didn't say he was 'best on ground'. Can you read? The t.v commentators opinion doesn't mean sh!t to me.

Have a look at the way the Geelong players were tentative when there was a loose ground ball in our forward line in the 3rd quarter or anywhere near where Long was lurking

We won the game because of players like Long and what he achieved in the first half. The Cats players may have learned a few valuable lessons in this game which held them in good stead later in the year.

Tip: try watching the second quarter and compare contests with the 3rd quarter. I guarantee you Geelong players were hesitant

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 09 Oct 2022 5:28am
Have a look at the way the Geelong players were tentative when there was a loose ground ball in our forward line in the 3rd quarter or anywhere near where Long was lurking
I am not interested in your squabbling - but the point of reference from this is:

We always walk taller with an enforcer - the games that there is a bit of hardness around the edges are games that we can play freer football - and it is not just St Kilda - every team has players who skirt the edges to the benefit of the team.... but

We are constantly being Chided at the MRO for our actions - when other are not - so it is this that the Administration needs to uphold and defend.

What happened to St Kilda - there was a time when we played Paul Morwood and Silvio Foschini without clearance - now we apologise for words said on the field and accept bans of players when others get off and players are banned (even though they later admit) without Evidence but on reputation

F@rk Me St Kilda - BECOME RELEVANT

― Aristophanes

takeaway
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 11:46am
Scollop wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 10:31am
takeaway wrote: Sat 08 Oct 2022 8:19am
Scollop wrote: Fri 07 Oct 2022 9:29am
Munga wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 8:35pm I'm not sure we have a team to be feared. Too many guys think they bring game, but crumble under pressure.
We were feared in Round 9 this year.

In my down time I often watch Saints games

I watched one of our best wins for 2022 last night. It was this Round 9 game I speak of when we played the Cats

We had a few blokes who were epic in the way they made the opposition players stop in their tracks every time they were near the football.

We’d come off 2 losses in a row in Round 7 against Port in Cairns and then Round 8 we lost to Melbourne at the MCG.

In the first half Geelong were the better team and their forward entries were more efficient. Their centre clearances looked better and their ball use was generally cleaner. The commentators were constantly singing the praises of their structures and talking down the Saints

It was a Saturday twilight game at Marvel, so it was exclusively a Foxtel game. I thought I’d watch the game with the sound turned up (which is not what I usually do) because at least I knew I didn’t have to listen to BT, Luke Darcy or Ling on special comments. They had Anthony Hudson and Jonathan Brown with Jordan Lewis and Cam Mooney on the boundary.

In that first half, Steele, Crouch, Wood, DMac, Ryder, Marshall, Battle and Ben Long were fearless and up for the fight.

At half time the Cats were in front and easily the better team. In typical wanker commentators fashion, they highlighted a few good plays from Geelong and Mitch Duncan in particular and went totally negative on the work of Ben Long who was his direct opponent at times.

What they didn’t discuss was the absolute speed with which Ben Long chased down the Cats players in that first half. His kamikaze style and his ferocity was outstanding. Dan McKenzie was also playing a similar role, but it was Long who had better opportunities to impact and get body contact on opposition players when there was a loose football that had to be contested. He hurt them too. And…he did it fairly

Ben Long’s pressure was off the charts and he spoiled and he crashed into about 3-4 of their midfielders and their playmakers at various times in that first half and it had a huge impact in the way they went about their football in the second half. We beat the cats at stoppages after half time. Paddy Ryder had a brilliant game and it was a great team effort with Crouch, Gresham, Marshall, Zac Jones, Mason Wood, Jack Billings, Seb Ross and our defense all playing their roles.

It was the game that Higgins was subbed out early with Windy coming in and also Jack Steele did his shoulder but gallantly played on and contributed to our midfield rotations. Plus the fact, I think we had Gresham, Billings and DMac in the team all at the same time with nearly our best squad.

But I was wondering…did the way Long attacked each contest have an affect on the way the Cats played in that 3rd quarter? Of course it did

Unfortunately we’ll need others to step up if we are going to be up for the fight next year when we take on the best teams
I'm going to miss your Loooooooooooong posts. Yes, he did have a good 3rd Qtr Round 9 v the Cats, and no doubt helped the Saints get on top in that term. Was serviceable for the other quarters, although Mitch Duncan did create problems, often when he was Long's opponent. Longy didn't get in the best players anywhere did he?
Are you now going to watch the next match, round 10 vs the Crows? Long generated 1 kick, 3 handballs, couple of tackles for the match. Be interested in your report.

Therein lies the problem with Long, and is why the Saints only offered a measly contract for the next 2 years. Hope he can string together a few good games at GCS and maintain that standard. He didn't at the Saints.
The whole point of my post was to highlight that stats aren’t everything. In round 9 if you exclude Ben’s chasing, pressure acts, bumps, spoils, and tackles he only got 11 touches and only 3 were kicks. According to some other posters they’d call that a poor game.

They look at the stat sheet at the end of the game after having consumed 15 pints of beer and they conclude that Long was average.

That’s actually what happens! They then go onto the fan forum and bag our players who have performed their role. Duncan did a few good things. Big deal. Did you know how many of his kicks were from playing on after we scored a behind? Duncan was involved in a few scoring chains and some goal assists - yes! But…Long was involved in more scoring chains and more goal assists!! Did Mr Jordan Lewis point that out in the 3rd or fourth quarter? No he fkn didn’t!!

Then you have other posters who rely on the special comments guys on the t.v to tell them who played well, when most of the commentators also just look at a stat sheet at the end of the game.

By the way…did the coach drop Ben Long after the round 10 match. No he didn’t! He isn’t consuming gallons of piss like most of the fans who frequent fan forums. Long has never been a big possession getter so why would a coach even contemplate including him in the team based on his touches?

Ben Long was one of the most influential players on the ground for the winning team that day against Geelong. AND …that’s not for his touches in the second half…IT’S for what he did in the first half with his pressure and his ability to hurt the opposition with beautifully timed hip and shoulder bumps and his ferocious tackling.

Any football follower with any ounce of footy knowledge who was at the ground (without Jordan Lewis in his ear) would tell you that Long made the Cats players hear footsteps for the majority of the second half. They underestimated us, we played well as a team, and their mids were gun shy in the second half.
As I said, Long was good in the 3rd and serviceable in the other Qtrs. I didn't say he was poor. Duncan was better though. Long one of the most influential players on the ground? Nope. Why wasn't he in the best players anywhere?

Saints won because they played better as a team in the 2nd half, after staying in it 1st half. Cats players hearing footsteps in the 2nd half? - rubbish. It's 2022, not 1980.

Long probably wasn't dropped after poor game vs Crows because weren't Butler & Higgins out injured? Also Steele out & others. Lucky for Ben. But he did get dropped a couple of rounds later. In the latter half of the season he was playing for a decent new contract. Didn't do enough consistently to earn it.
You haven't even watched the replay. You're going off a fkn stat sheet. You're so predictable it's pathetic

Human beings are still human beings in 2022, like they were in 1980

Here is some facts. Long crashed and bashed the Geelong midfield in that first half. He sprinted into the centre square at a few of the centre bounces and he caused collisions

I watch our players a little closer than most of the journos who write for the papers or for AFL.com or Foxtel.

I didn't say he was 'best on ground'. Can you read? The t.v commentators opinion doesn't mean sh!t to me.

We won the game because of players like Long and what he achieved in the first half. The Cats players may have learned a few valuable lessons in this game which held them in good stead later in the year.

Tip: try watching the second quarter and compare contests with the 3rd quarter. I guarantee you Geelong players were hesitant
Actually, as well as attending the game at the time, I also had occasion to watch the replay recently, all of it, and I DID notice Ben Long do some good things, mainly in the 3rd. He did contribute to the win, but nothing like “one of the most influential players on the ground.” Pfffft.

Saints allegiance aside, I do try to watch games with a rounded view, ie watch all the players, the good plays (both sides), who’s on who, etc, and when at the game, also try to catch what is happening a bit off the ball. I think all the coaching staff, and most supporters and even some of the media take the same approach.

However, your method of just concentrating on BEN LONG for the whole game, on or off the ball, does not give the game proper perspective. I also suspect after the game you check the media reports, best players, etc, to ascertain which other players to include in your game commentary, along with BEN LONG of course. I reckon your mate BT, with his intermittent viewing of the game, would provide a more balanced commentary than you.

You have a big year coming up next year, watching all the GCS games (if Long is playing), and Saints games, or are you going to give some of the Saints games a miss?

Anyway, this thread is about the whole team becoming "feared and revered", not just B Long, who was not feared and revered nearly often enough for the club to want to hold on to him.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Sun 09 Oct 2022 8:41am
Actually, as well as attending the game at the time, I also had occasion to watch the replay recently, all of it, and I DID notice Ben Long do some good things, mainly in the 3rd. He did contribute to the win, but nothing like “one of the most influential players on the ground.” Pfffft.

Saints allegiance aside, I do try to watch games with a rounded view, ie watch all the players, the good plays (both sides), who’s on who, etc, and when at the game, also try to catch what is happening a bit off the ball. I think all the coaching staff, and most supporters and even some of the media take the same approach.

However, your method of just concentrating on BEN LONG for the whole game, on or off the ball, does not give the game proper perspective. I also suspect after the game you check the media reports, best players, etc, to ascertain which other players to include in your game commentary, along with BEN LONG of course. I reckon your mate BT, with his intermittent viewing of the game, would provide a more balanced commentary than you.

You have a big year coming up next year, watching all the GCS games (if Long is playing), and Saints games, or are you going to give some of the Saints games a miss?

Anyway, this thread is about the whole team becoming "feared and revered", not just B Long, who was not feared and revered nearly often enough for the club to want to hold on to him.
When in ANY of the posts above did I say I only watch Ben Long?

You can’t fkn help yourself. How about either reading and comprehending what I said or what I wrote for once in your life…or are you always trying to misrepresent the truth.

We beat the eventual premiers in this game in contested footy 135 - 121. I would probably say (without knowing all the stats) it would have been one of the lowest counts for contested possessions for the Cats for the year. In the round 21 game we had roughly the same amount of contested possessions but Geelong upped the ante and had much more than their round 9 game against us. Maybe it was more like their average CP count for the year

Now, we all know, that they didn’t turn the end result around ( for contested possession numbers) that significantly just because they were playing at home in Round 21. They gave us a bit more respect didn’t they?

Sometimes there are a few football acts in a game that have a profound effect on the result. It’s as simple as a few important moments or a goal that inspires or perhaps a series of bumps and tackles that change the psyche of your opposition. It happened in that Rnd 9 game.

As for checking media reports on who ‘other people’ thought played a good game….that’s for nuff nuffs who can’t think for themselves and the those who spend as much time at the bar or going to their fridge, as they do watching the game

When I gave my thoughts on the best on ground for the game back in Round 9 I didn’t give Long any votes, but when I watched the replay I saw a different perspective on the game. I focussed on the way the opposition players reacted and how the Geelong mids and their backline played in that second half. Long changed the way the Cats players approached contests after half time.

My votes in the Eastern Memorial Player of the Year for the round nine game were slightly different to most BUT I didn’t have Long in there. I may have possibly replaced Skunk with Long and given Ben 1 vote.

viewtopic.php?p=1954417#p1954417

I couldn’t give a toss about Gold Coast Suns. I also don’t care if Long is a fail at the Suns. They’re not my fkn team

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 09 Oct 2022 8:28am
I am not interested in your squabbling - but the point of reference from this is:

We always walk taller with an enforcer - the games that there is a bit of hardness around the edges are games that we can play freer football - and it is not just St Kilda - every team has players who skirt the edges to the benefit of the team.... but

We are constantly being Chided at the MRO for our actions - when other are not - so it is this that the Administration needs to uphold and defend.

What happened to St Kilda - there was a time when we played Paul Morwood and Silvio Foschini without clearance - now we apologise for words said on the field and accept bans of players when others get off and players are banned (even though they later admit) without Evidence but on reputation

F@rk Me St Kilda - BECOME RELEVANT
Hopefully there is a change in mindset and it’s the young brigade that need to fly the flag.

We have Max King, Marcus Windhager, and Mitch Owens who look capable. The senior guys in Skunk, Wilkie, Battle, Crouch and the captain need to go up a level and they have to understand that without an ounce of mongrel and without the want to hurt your opposition physically at every opportunity we will remain irrelevant

I think Jack Bytel is a player I have high hopes for if we retain him and play the kid. He has what it takes as far as aggression and competitiveness is concerned. He could easily become a leader in our side if he gets the tank to keep up with the best mids in the game.

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 09 Oct 2022 9:31am
takeaway wrote: Sun 09 Oct 2022 8:41am

When in ANY of the posts above did I say I only watch Ben Long?

You can’t fkn help yourself. How about either reading and comprehending what I said or what I wrote for once in your life…or are you always trying to misrepresent the truth.

We beat the eventual premiers in this game in contested footy 135 - 121. I would probably say (without knowing all the stats) it would have been one of the lowest counts for contested possessions for the Cats for the year. In the round 21 game we had roughly the same amount of contested possessions but Geelong upped the ante and had much more than their round 9 game against us. Maybe it was more like their average CP count for the year

Now, we all know, that they didn’t turn the end result around ( for contested possession numbers) that significantly just because they were playing at home in Round 21. They gave us a bit more respect didn’t they?

Sometimes there are a few football acts in a game that have a profound effect on the result. It’s as simple as a few important moments or a goal that inspires or perhaps a series of bumps and tackles that change the psyche of your opposition. It happened in that Rnd 9 game.

As for checking media reports on who ‘other people’ thought played a good game….that’s for nuff nuffs who can’t think for themselves and the those who spend as much time at the bar or going to their fridge, as they do watching the game

When I gave my thoughts on the best on ground for the game back in Round 9 I didn’t give Long any votes, but when I watched the replay I saw a different perspective on the game. I focussed on the way the opposition players reacted and how the Geelong mids and their backline played in that second half. Long changed the way the Cats players approached contests after half time.

My votes in the Eastern Memorial Player of the Year for the round nine game were slightly different to most BUT I didn’t have Long in there. I may have possibly replaced Skunk with Long and given Ben 1 vote.

viewtopic.php?p=1954417#p1954417

I couldn’t give a toss about Gold Coast Suns. I also don’t care if Long is a fail at the Suns. They’re not my fkn team
So you're sticking with the Saints? That's good. It is true you have never said you only watch Ben Long, I assumed it from the content of many of your posts.

Looking forward to some posts from you without the name LONG in them. I'll probably read them, but can't promise I'll be able to comprehend them.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It doesn't interest me if you can comprehend my posts and I don't care if you read any of them... ever again

I'm interested in our coaches utililising the best talent on our list to build a team capable of being the best in the competition in 2024 or 2025

I'm interested in us having the best high performance and development coaches in the AFL

I'm interested in our coaches sacrificing short term success to give Bytel consecutive games in the seniors at the expense of some of our more established players

I'd like to see Windy, Owens, NWM and Bytel all in the same team together

The only reason I had massive raps on Long was because of what he could offer if and when we made finals. He proved he had what it takes

I'm interested in St Kilda aiming for a premiership rather than just aiming to save face for a few people in the football department

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: Mon 03 Oct 2022 1:27pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 7:09pm My simple ask for 2023 is for us to be Feared and Revered

This can only happen if the On Field performances are subject to a Football First mentality

We need our players to Sweat RW&B and our Board to support them to the hilt - no matter the cost!!!
For this to become a reality would first require the administration to adopt a zero tolerance policy for mediocrity and drive a ruthless desire to win games of football.

This clearly hasn’t been there for the last decade. The extensions of Richo and Ratten are one such example.

Until the powers that be at the club make it priority number one to win games of football, we can’t expect to the players to bleed for the guernsey if the management don’t.
Love this.

Just not sure the administration is as determined to get there as we are.

And looking at the players and coaches, I’m not sure they share that ruthless desire.

It’s a shame but they don’t seem to have that desperate appetite to improve.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Experienced Geelong players who’ve played and won a plethora of finals

Hearing footsteps when a 181cm 79kg Ben Long comes off the square in a Centre Bounce

F***, I’ve heard it all now

There would hardly be a player playing elite level footy, who hears ‘footsteps’

That is a ridiculous statement

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Ben was good at giving away free kicks. Let’s move on.

Where is Sunny Ernie or whatever his/her name was?
“Enough is enough”

I suspect Ben’s forum fairy Godfather will have to find a new marginal player to rally around in order to leverage doubt and angle against Hill in 2023.

Bytel is my bet.

Expect a Bytel vs Hill post any minute.

But Megabyte might go to the Dons.

So if poor DMac loses his mojo, I suspect he’ll get the guernsey. And the way DMacs calf is going, he could be the one.

I think Jack Billings has been to well paid for too long to be nominated

Although JB might just have a cracker in ‘23?

Let’s work towards the OP!

How to be singularly focused on winning!

Boring I know.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 09 Oct 2022 3:14pm Experienced Geelong players who’ve played and won a plethora of finals

Hearing footsteps when a 181cm 79kg Ben Long comes off the square in a Centre Bounce

F***, I’ve heard it all now

There would hardly be a player playing elite level footy, who hears ‘footsteps’

That is a ridiculous statement
What a surprise that the usual posters who have constantly bagged Long join the conversation

The only thing ridiculous, is posters who disregard the statistics. How do you explain contested possessions for that particular game? Geelong were down significantly on their averages.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/stats/ ... sContested

If you want to totally overlook the bumps and tackles where Long physically hurt Geelong players in the first half, that’s fine. In one instance I think he got Atkins fair square in the rib cage and Atkins took a while to get up.

Fact: Experienced players do have off days.

Fact 2: They had a few in their team that day who have NOT played a ‘plethora’ of finals.

Fact 3: Geelong had a soft win against GWS the week before. They beat the Giants in Canberra 88 - 35.

They started strongly against us and they were in cruise mode. Perhaps Cats players thought ‘someone else’ in the team was going to win the hard ball. It’s not a tactic that Long can get away with each and every week, but it worked on that particular day.

I have no problem with you or any poster voicing your opinion. Pity your argument is weakened with generalisations and cliches instead of specifics regarding the round 9 game

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 09 Oct 2022 4:24pm Ben was good at giving away free kicks. Let’s move on.

Where is Sunny Ernie or whatever his/her name was?
“Enough is enough”

I suspect Ben’s forum fairy Godfather will have to find a new marginal player to rally around in order to leverage doubt and angle against Hill in 2023.

Bytel is my bet.

Expect a Bytel vs Hill post any minute.

But Megabyte might go to the Dons.

So if poor DMac loses his mojo, I suspect he’ll get the guernsey. And the way DMacs calf is going, he could be the one.

I think Jack Billings has been to well paid for too long to be nominated

Although JB might just have a cracker in ‘23?

Let’s work towards the OP!

How to be singularly focused on winning!

Boring I know.
So...you reckon Bytel and DMac play similar roles? Riiiiight.... How about you...

...stick to the funny stuff and leave the football discussion to others...or ... if you must, just keep posting your random brain farts

viewtopic.php?p=1982034#p1982034

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 7:09pm This can only happen if the On Field performances are subject to a Football First mentality
I’m not sure what you mean by this statement. Could you please elaborate?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 9:29am
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sat 01 Oct 2022 7:09pm This can only happen if the On Field performances are subject to a Football First mentality
I do not feel that we have a ruthlessness about the way we play football - I think there are more moments than I would prefer when it seems 'too hard'.

― Aristophanes

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Thu 13 Oct 2022 7:22am
Sainternist wrote: Mon 10 Oct 2022 9:29am
I do not feel that we have a ruthlessness about the way we play football - I think there are more moments than I would prefer when it seems 'too hard'.
Yeah, speaking of hard, I don’t think we have enough hard-nosed players. I think people were genuinely upset about Ben Long leaving, because he was one of our few players who has that old school tough as old boots style of playing. Apart from guys like Steele, Wilkie, Membrey and Sinclair, the rest seem too much like pushovers.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!