Clarko and the Hawks alleged disgusting behaviour.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clarko and the Hawks disgusting behaviour.

The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:27pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:20pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:15pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:05pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 8:54pm So the players have been afforded the luxary to remain anonymous. No matter there circumstances on how they left Hawthorn and where there life has ended up at the present time. Meanwhile two men have been basically thrown to the wolves with out even being given a chance to speak.

No one can defend this type of prejudice.
Yep, the real victims out of a report on treatment of indigenous players that was so damning Hawthorn sh*t themselves and hand balled it over to the AFL, is Fagan and Clarko…

Classic.

So let’s just ignore basic justice and allow as many people to sink the boots in before so speaking to the two most credible people involved.
Why are they the “two most credible people involved”?

No idea why would one of the best coaches in history be credible. Chris Fagan who has built a reputation as being a fantastic people manager.
You don’t get into their positions and have their reputations unless your respected and credible.

I
Why does being good at coaching make you a credible human? Ever heard of Jerry Sandusky?

Are all people that have achieved high positions in life credible people?

Can just imagine you Dud.

19 year old poor attitude always late to work stuffs around breaks all the OHS safety rules.

His 55 year old manager that’s been in the industry 35 years gives him a final written warning after trying to educate and help him for a year.

19 year old ribgs Dud puts a complaint in about the manager saying he’s picking on him.

Dud without speaking to manager recommends that the manager gets fired.

Even though the manager has never had any issues in the past and hundreds have worked for him he doesn’t have a say in Duds world.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:35pm
The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:27pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:20pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 8:54pm So the players have been afforded the luxary to remain anonymous. No matter there circumstances on how they left Hawthorn and where there life has ended up at the present time. Meanwhile two men have been basically thrown to the wolves with out even being given a chance to speak.

Yep, the real victims out of a report on treatment of indigenous players that was so damning Hawthorn sh*t themselves and hand balled it over to the AFL, is Fagan and Clarko…

Classic.

So let’s just ignore basic justice and allow as many people to sink the boots in before so speaking to the two most credible people involved.

No idea why would one of the best coaches in history be credible. Chris Fagan who has built a reputation as being a fantastic people manager.
You don’t get into their positions and have their reputations unless your respected and credible.

I
Why does being good at coaching make you a credible human? Ever heard of Jerry Sandusky?

Are all people that have achieved high positions in life credible people?

Can just imagine you Dud.

19 year old poor attitude always late to work stuffs around breaks all the OHS safety rules.

His 55 year old manager that’s been in the industry 45 years gives him a final written warning after trying to educate and help him for a year.

19 rings Dud puts a complaint in about the manager saying he’s picking on him.

Dud without speaking to manager recommends that the manager gets fired.

Even though the manager has never had any issues in the past and hundreds have worked for him he doesn’t have a say in Duds world.
Lol, what the hell does the above have to do with this situation?

“19 year old poor attitude always late to work stuffs around breaks all the OHS safety rules.” Is this your analogy of the three players and their families from the article? What lead you to come to this conclusion? Nothing I read indicated anything like that.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

It has everything to do with the situation.

Linton Street Saint
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:45pm It has everything to do with the situation.
Ok Boomer

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Linton Street Saint wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:50pm
CURLY wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:45pm It has everything to do with the situation.
Ok Boomer
Boomer nice.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 9:07pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 2:54pm It’s hard to imagine that these things didn’t occur as stated…
What’s missing is the context. The first story for example, those aren’t rationale responses to the challenge. Hence the question becomes what was happening that got the club so worried like that?

That leads to the two obvious follow ups… is there a reasonable scenario that sees a club advocate for separation of a relationship and termination of a pregnancy?

Secondly… would they take this course of action with a non-Indigenous person.

On both levels it doesn’t seem right.

The next thing that perplexes me though is how have Clarkson and Fagan become the principle figures of interest here. Surely decisions like these would be primarily driven through the club’s welfare individuals?

We’re talking about near DFFH levels of intervention (noting that they’re obviously adults).

I’m also unsure as to how this happened so vehemently against the wishes of all those involved and the non-specific denial from Fagan and Clarkson.
If there was no wrong doing whatsoever, I’d expect a more impassioned response focused on clearing his name… this is obviously juxtaposed with I guess what legal instruct him t say.

I guess what I’m trying to say here is that like most things… the answer is pbly in the middle but geeez we are still missing a lot of information

My gut says it seems fairly unlikely that at least some misconduct hasn’t occurred but I can’t say i have my head around it either
Best response/thought process I’ve seen in here so far.
Perhaps too much for the virtue signalling twats that have already applied the death penalty via their Kangaroo Court….

It’s a report based on one side of the story.
Let’s now have the actual investigation where the other parties have an opportunity to have their say.

That’s all assuming everything is done on face value.
Then you will now have AFL branding, lawyers looking for different angles, the possibility of a prior fall out with an individual (eg. Rioli & Clarkson) and the revenge aspect.

It’s a little suss this report was finalised the week after Clarkson is announced as coach of another club as well.

It seems bizarre the alleged things could be said by an employer to an enployee, but I’m sure that family or mates would say to each other at times if a partner was right for them, but questioning a pregnancy goes way overboard unless it was a parent to son conversation if financial constraints are an issue for example in bringing up a child.

It would be very interesting if other non aboriginal players at any stage have been placed in the same conversations by all clubs. It not, then it’s looking really poor.
The timing angle is not one that stuck out to me and is interesting as a few people have noted. Regardless, you make good points.

The only thing that I think needs to be added and here is where Curly as gotten himself in trouble (not having a dig)…

The undercurrent here, in my opinion, is that one has to look at this through the lenses that as a country we have form here.

Don’t get me wrong… I would say with 100% certainty that everyone at Hawthorn, misconduct or not, have not intentionally or consciously set out to treat people differently based on race. Further to that, I’m sure that the majority of what’s happened has at least occurred under the pretence of being in the person’s best interest.

One only had to note for example, that with Clarkson a lot of the players that have played under him are coming to his defence and most that have spoken out are seemingly shocked that anything like this is alleged/has happened.

The paternal line is a really difficult path to walk down for this reason…
It’s extremely subjective and prone to exploitation. I see it all the time in mental health where people want use of the Mental Health Act to control behaviour. Heck just recently, I had to explain to someone that I couldn’t just admit someone to hospital because their loved one was smoking too much because who in their right mind would do that knowing what we know now.

But here’s the other reality… in my role in forensic mental health… my colleague and I have come or the realisation that we can identify whether or not an offender is Indigenous purely based on their charges.
The pattern is not so much that Indigenous Australians tend to have more public disturbance charges… but that they tend to get more charges in any one given instance.

For example… someone gets drunk at a bar and involved in a fight.
They’ll get charged as being drunk in a public place and unlawful assault.
An Indigenous person is more likely to also have charges for being drunk, drunk and disorderly behaviour, using obscene language in a public place, resisting arrest, reckless conduct, threats of violence, threats to damage property, affray, property damage etc

It really stands out if you do that type of work for a while.

Point that I’m making here… is that yes we all need to hold fire until the full investigation comes out but at the same time, you can’t look at the people and the organisation involved and assert that because of their standing/prominence, that the allegations are likely a beat up.
Last edited by skeptic on Thu 22 Sep 2022 11:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Classic.

Because they have denied it, haven't yet had the opportunity to respond to specific allegations and they have a reputation. The people making the allegations are currently unknown and therefore reputation and credibility are unknown. Although they may have chosen to leak to the media whilst the process is still ongoing.We haven't seen their allegations in full specific form and any evidence that may corroborate the allegations or otherwise.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 6:56pm
The Fireman wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 5:52pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 5:18pm Eddy Betts has said the allegations remind him of the stolen generation. I'm trying to understand his comments, I think I get how he is making the connection from a racism point of view but as someone that has some experience in forced adoption and the white stolen stolen generations I'm wondering if it's solely a race issue.

A complex issue to unpack which may only be achieved by those tasked with investigating the facts and context.

As a side note this is another important event hijacked by our toxic corporate and social media landscape.
Agreed mr Vortex

And would like to add I only believe my brothers.
I think Eddy’s comments re the Stolen Generation would be a situation where white people in power made decisions for Indigenous people and justified it by claiming they were “in their best interest”, when in reality it was not.
Isn't the point that people in power shouldn't make decisions for other people, whether it's "in their best interest" or not? Otherwise you will always get "best interest" arguments used when people in power control others.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Robby Muir, Adam Goodes, Eddy Betts, Collingwood FC, Cyril Rioli.

After all that has come to light in only the last few years people still fight tooth and nail to deny there’s any racial issue in footy (and society) conscious or unconscious.

Taking into account the Cyril Rioli situation, the report (which is seperate from the article) which spoke to up to 20 players and staff and has come back very damning, and the three different parties coming forward with stories that show a clear pattern, I find it extremely hard to believe there is nothing here. The storirs I read I believe, as I have seen or heard no reason not to. If they are 90% correct it is extremely damning. If they are 50% correct it is extremely damning. If they are 50% correct but in fact not racially motivated, they are extremely damning.

I don’t see a positive end to this story for the HFC is any possibility, unless for some reason these 20 people (including the 3 from the article) are all lying. I can’t see a believable reason this would happen. I do see a very believable reason the HFC coaches side of this would lie.
Last edited by The_Dud on Thu 22 Sep 2022 10:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Annoyedsaint
Club Player

The G Train Legacy wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 10:18pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 5:18pm Eddy Betts has said the allegations remind him of the stolen generation. I'm trying to understand his comments, I think I get how he is making the connection from a racism point of view but as someone that has some experience in forced adoption and the white stolen stolen generations I'm wondering if it's solely a race issue.

A complex issue to unpack which may only be achieved by those tasked with investigating the facts and context.

As a side note this is another important event hijacked by our toxic corporate and social media landscape.
Agreed mr Vortex

I think Eddy’s comments re the Stolen Generation would be a situation where white people in power made decisions for Indigenous people and justified it by claiming they were “in their best interest”, when in reality it was not.
Isn't the point that people in power shouldn't make decisions for other people, whether it's "in their best interest" or not? Otherwise you will always get "best interest" arguments used when people in power control others.
The same question can be applied for dud families that abuse, don’t feed their children and ultimately are removed from them by the authorities.
At what point is that decision made and why are they deemed to be correct??
Race, background, etc should be completely removed and each case judged on its merits. Goes for anything really.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

From what I've read, the allegations are a very serious case of work place bullying.

This must be illegal and should be tried in the court.

In a court of law those involved will be required to provide sworn (or un-sworn) evidence. It will probably be ugly. But the facts will most likely be exposed.

And just like the Essendope scandal the AFL will go to extreme lengths to keep it out of court and the facts will never be known.

Without the facts, trial by media is likely to destroy reputations.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

The curly and dud show is wearing thin on here

Why don’t you guys meet up in real life to trade your differing opinions and or blows

Ps if and when you do ..let us know I’m sure it will draw a crowd

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Agreed mr Vortex

We are the shareholders of BHP.
Our Super, our Mutual Funds, our stocks
We (BHP) are making decisions to help out local communities in the Pilbara
https://www.bhp.com/news/articles/2022/ ... ness-spend

From where we exported 149 billion (that is 'B') bucks worth of ore last year
To help build a stronger China (and help the Chinese military expand)
And to help your Super Fund.

Local indigenous employment in the mines has significantly increased and that has had an impact on local wealth - unevenly

Are BHP making the decisions in the best interests of the locals? Are their efforts an indicator of paternal welfare?
BHP is responsible and accountable to the shareholders...
We guess they will pay lip service to the environment and the locals.
These areas now have a co-dependence on Chinese demand for ore.

Who is a footy club accountable to?
The members? The AFL?
The community?
What is their priority to deliver?

You say there is no connection...I say there is...the guilt and shame and fear, 235 years of it...is playing out...

There are no excuses, but look at the level of laser focus - the energy of an entire solar system has found its mark.

Make sure your BHP shares are in order, sip a beer and rekindle your disgust at Clarkson and co.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The G Train Legacy
Club Player

Annoyedsaint wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 10:42pm

Agreed mr Vortex

The same question can be applied for dud families that abuse, don’t feed their children and ultimately are removed from them by the authorities.
At what point is that decision made and why are they deemed to be correct??
Race, background, etc should be completely removed and each case judged on its merits. Goes for anything really.
Dud families that abuse, are breaking the law. Its different to policy decisions that affect great numbers of random people.

The G Train Legacy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Thu 22 Sep 2022 10:42pm Robby Muir, Adam Goodes, Eddy Betts, Collingwood FC, Cyril Rioli.

After all that has come to light in only the last few years people still fight tooth and nail to deny there’s any racial issue in footy (and society) conscious or unconscious.

Taking into account the Cyril Rioli situation, the report (which is seperate from the article) which spoke to up to 20 players and staff and has come back very damning, and the three different parties coming forward with stories that show a clear pattern, I find it extremely hard to believe there is nothing here. The storirs I read I believe, as I have seen or heard no reason not to. If they are 90% correct it is extremely damning. If they are 50% correct it is extremely damning. If they are 50% correct but in fact not racially motivated, they are extremely damning.

I don’t see a positive end to this story for the HFC is any possibility, unless for some reason these 20 people (including the 3 from the article) are all lying. I can’t see a believable reason this would happen. I do see a very believable reason the HFC coaches side of this would lie.
Of the players you mention only Rioli is relevant, as Hawthorn launched the investigation further to his grievances. What have the others got to do with specific allegations against Hawthorn, Clarkson etc? Similar complaints from 3 parties would be compelling if they'd never met, however, I doubt that's the case. Not that I'm suggesting any conspiracy, but I'm confident that they all knew each other in some way, making any similarity less compelling. You are in no position to say its not hard to believe its true, just as I cannot say its all crap, based on the current evidence.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Wonder why these coaches used selective racism?

I've been racially profiled, had loads of racial slurs and plenty of very real actions taken due to skin pigment.

But when I've encountered a person who is racist towards me, they don't select certain First Nations people and only dole out their abuse on certain people. It's part of what they believe so it affects all First Nations people they come into contact with....

Yet...a long term Hawk....Shane Burgoyne was "shocked" and even went so far to say, " it's the furthest from any treatment I received from Alastair or any staff".... must have been selective racism? Clarkson was only racist on Tuesdays and Burgoyne only talked to him on Wednesdays.

Could there have been? Yes. Was there? Of course, you, me, we....ALL have said and done things in our lives that were racist towards a group of people. I used to have a comedy routine in the early 80's of a Pakistani cab driver I often had rides with in Balaclava. I was wrong. It was racist. I should have known it, and did once I really looked deeply into myself in 1984 when a professor I worked with hit hard between the eyes.
He helped shape the objective man I hope I am ( becoming) over the past 40 years.

Rioli had a difficult situation...very legitimate concerns from the club concerning certain issues that he admitted were accurate...but it was handled with a bullish manner and harsh ultimatums...the truth is the club, his friends, even his cousin ( who originally alerted the club) was right...it was quite possibly better for him if things changed but it was also his choice and personal relationships are just that in the end of the day...Personal. Better to stay out because people hear what they want and others may be too forgetful how invested we all get in our human connections...I've done some crazy things in the name of love.

I have connected with a few ex-players who were genuinely abused for their skin colour and one for being a devoted Muslim. I have also listened to some share and when the balance is weighed something is askew....they were definitely hurt, but it was not racist just strongly worded rebuke or direction.

We all need to do better. Racism is the idea that humans regard or disregard another human based on race.

We do this in many ways not just race...short or tall, slim or obese, hair length or colour, city, region, state, nation of origin, age ( young or old), inexperienced or pros ( think of the flack apprentices wear), where you go to school, what you drive, jobs/career/ you work or don't ( centrelink recipients) etc etc.

It's easy to offend and hurt others even without thinking. I've done it a ridiculous amount of times and you'd think being a black man who has a welsh dad who gave me his white name I'd be a tad more kind.

We all need to consider how incredibly far we have moved away from openly hurting others who are different and classifying them based on some characteristics or factors and also accept we still are on a journey together towards change.

I hope this report helps somehow, but I've never yet seen such a public event bring any real change only create more divide.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Classic.

Would it be because they have strong & significant relationships with former & current First Nations players? Some already stating their shock as they'd never had this inherent racism directed towards them...is racism something you turn on & off? Maybe? Only young players involved in difficult relationships or exhibiting challenging behaviours are receiving racism? Maybe?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Classic.

Would it be because they have strong & significant relationships with former & current First Nations players? Some already stating their shock as they'd never had this inherent racism directed towards them...is racism something you turn on & off? Maybe? Only young players involved in difficult relationships or exhibiting challenging behaviours are receiving racism? Maybe?

Also...you're misunderstanding of AFL clubs reviews...all internal & external reviews endorsed by any AFL club must have findings lodged with the AFL integrity unit within 180 days of its conclusion ( racism, culture, politics, forensic finances, etc
...any review),

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Classic.
I’m more concerned with inappropriate use of there/ there/they’re.
The English language is under threat!

spert
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Fri 23 Sep 2022 6:52am

Classic.
I’m more concerned with inappropriate use of there/ there/they’re.
The English language is under threat!
Sure is.
A little lesson for those who struggle with using correct words..

It's THEIR house
their house is over THERE
THEY'RE (they are) going away

it's YOUR choice
YOU'RE (you are) going away

It's IMPORTANT, not impordan

happy feet
Club Player

Moderators, can we please move this post to the Opposition board please.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

As Gill does his lap of honour:
North, Essendon, BNE in disarray; treatment of indigenous players a divisive and corroding issue; Tasmanian team or no team unresolved; expansion clubs continue to struggle; Brownlow won by a player that should not have been eligible, broadcasters own scheduling and tv access, crowds down, venues gouge. But he is feted. Don't get it. Guy is bullet proof. And Meatloaf.... review panel composition soon, time frame "months", MRO random as.....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 23 Sep 2022 9:06am Moderators, can we please move this post to the Opposition board please.
I get the logic of that and strictly speaking you're right, but it's the hottest topic on here at the mo so will leave it on the most popular forum for now.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 23 Sep 2022 3:43am

I've never yet seen such a public event bring any real change only create more divide.

This is the point that also troubles me and I am incredibly cyclical about. Like politics, journalism has lost its way in recent decades and the symbiotic relationship between journalists, governments and corporations has become a toxic and self serving entity that is driving mankind down a slippery slope.

I'm sure the journalist who broke this story genuinely believes he and his organisation are part of the solution but I'm not so sure.

Listening to Whately and Robbo drive the division on 360 caused me great distress, Robbo was demanding punishment be metered out in his usual manner and for the life of me I couldn't understand how that could be the solution when so little of us really understood the situation.

The solution needs care and understanding and all the media will do is sculpt us into a two sided argument and fuel the conflict via social media. How does that help?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 23 Sep 2022 3:43am

I've never yet seen such a public event bring any real change only create more divide.

This is the point that also troubles me and I am incredibly cynical about. Like politics, journalism has lost its way in recent decades and the symbiotic relationship between journalists, governments and corporations has become a toxic and self serving entity that is driving mankind down a slippery slope.

I'm sure the journalist who broke this story genuinely believes he and his organisation are part of the solution but I'm not so sure.

Listening to Whateley and Robbo drive the division on 360 caused me great distress, Robbo was demanding punishment be metered out in his usual manner and for the life of me I couldn't understand how that could be the solution when so little of us really understood the situation.

The solution needs care and understanding and all the media will do is sculpt us into a two sided argument and fuel the conflict via social media. How does that help?