How to improve Saints midfield immediately

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: How to improve Saints midfield immediately

Killa wrote: Sun 18 Sep 2022 9:20pm Show Ross the footage of the impact Pendlebury has with ball in hand - and tell Ross that or no games
Don't worry about showing Ross. Just make sure Bytel, Windhager, Connolly, Owens and Wanganeen-Milera see it.

Killa
Club Player

I trust Gags is celebrating - a family function meant I could not be in Adelaide yesterday for Number 31

By a point so the sublime Phil’s exploits in 1978 will be recalled no doubt

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Why do people want to move Sinclair off hb? He has been tried ont the wings before and was good but he is so much better off the half back flank. He is elite under pressure smooth with his passes and usually starts the ball out of our fifty. So move him to the wings where he will get less of the ball and leak more goals without him defending? Ain’t broke don’t fix

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 9:17am I trust Gags is celebrating - a family function meant I could not be in Adelaide yesterday for Number 31

By a point so the sublime Phil’s exploits in 1978 will be recalled no doubt
Saw Phil pinged for holding the ball in a SANFL match when it was actually 10 metres away with a team mate. His hands were far too quick for the umpire. Funny and embarrassing for the ump at the time. Phil was mightily talented - for an accountant (with apologies to Mr Wilkie).

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Mon 19 Sep 2022 9:39am Why do people want to move Sinclair off hb? He has been tried ont the wings before and was good but he is so much better off the half back flank. He is elite under pressure smooth with his passes and usually starts the ball out of our fifty. So move him to the wings where he will get less of the ball and leak more goals without him defending? Ain’t broke don’t fix
For me it’s a cost benefit allowance thing

You say if it’s not broke… we’ll it is. We need elite mids… it’s a really problem. To me, he can play in the middle and has looked dangerous there and we need that skill set there.

I reckon we have a plethora of players that can do that HBF/BP role well enough as it is one of the easiest position on the ground to play.
Coffield, Clark, Hill, Long (before he goes), NWM, Connolly

With the exception of Connolly who is outside the 22, IMO all of them could be good enough there but none could produce close to Sinclair could do in the middle.

At some point you need your best, most capable mids to play midfield and do the hard staff… leave the easier tasks to developing players.

I get your argument though